“Best Vacation Yet! (And I've been on many) 5 stars!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

You added Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum, Zona Costera, Km. 256.3, Akumal 77780 , Mexico   |
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Toronto, Canada
“Best Vacation Yet! (And I've been on many) 5 stars!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

I'd like to start off by saying that I am utterly shocked and confused at any negative reviews of this resort. This was by far the best vacation of my life! I've been to Mexico many times and I can safely say that the Grand Sirenis is by far the best resort I've stayed at. I will most certainly be back and I can't wait!!

THE STAFF:
I'll start off with the staff because they are truly a big part of what made this experience so pleasurable. One of the bellboys, Rosalio Cabrera welcomed us upon arrival and brought us to our room, also transporting us around the resort throughout the week. He told us so much about the resort and even took the time to teach my teenage daughters some spanish!
The poolside entertainers were equally amazing in keeping my entire family entertained. The scheduled activities were so much fun, big thanks to Juan Carlos and Miguel for the salsa lessons, water aerobics and overall good company!
All the service people at the bar and buffet and a la carte restaurants were very kind, attentive and caring. Special mentions to Lorenzo, Flavio, and Humberto for incredible and memorable service and breakfast, lunch and dinner. Everyone at this resort was so kind and friendly.

THE FOOD AND BEVERAGES:
I've been to many five star restaurants all over the world and I can definitely say that the food was five star! The breakfast buffet was incredible, with Mexican options, traditional breakfast, and premium selections like smoked salmon and beef tenderloin wrapped in bacon. The lunch buffet was excellent, but we preferred to eat at the poolside lunch buffet called Bayou because we never had to leave the poolside this way! Amazing food and house wine was pretty good too. For dinner, we visited 2 a la cartes, el rancho (western theme) and Bayou (cajun/creole theme). Both of these were excellent, we preferred Bayou, where my husband enjoyed roast duck and i had blackened catfish with was excellent! The dinner buffet was equally incredible and there were different theme nights, we particularly enjoyed the Mexican night - we were given sombreros to wear and a beautiful mariachi band performed for our table!
The water at this resort is all filtered. Ice cubes and water is safe to drink. We did not drink the tap water but we were told that the resort uses its own water filtration system which we found extremely impressive.
The wine, tequila, beer, and other liquors were great and the bar did a great job.

THE ROOMS AND CLEANING:
The rooms were beautiful! VERY large, balconies, high tech shower with 8 heads! The beds were firm but comforable and the housekeeping did a great job of ensuring that the room was immaculate and clean, fridge always restocked with lots of beer, soda, and bottled water. Nothing more to say here, it was just wonderful.

THE ATMOSPHERE:
There were 3 pools - 1 beautifully serene quiet pool, and 2 pools with swim up bars, poolside restaurants, and constant entertainment and activities. Just wonderful. The lazy river was also a nice touch and very beautiful.
The beach was breathtaking. This resort has a Mayan ruin on site which was beautiful, and the beach bar was our favourite spot. During the say there was a live band, roasted pork by the beach, and many other things. My daughters went jetskiing, we all also went kayaking and snorkeling (included). One of my daughters received a massage by Miguel at the massage tower overlooking the ocean and said it was incredible and professional.
At night, the resort alternated between an event at their disco, and a beach party. My daughters enjoyed their time there and made many friends. My husband and I visited the beach party later in the week and enjoyed it as well.
There are always shuttles going by because it is a big resort and they take you around everywhere, very helpful!

THE NIGHTLY SHOWS:
Usually every night after dinner we should go to the lobby bars, have a couple drinks and dance to the great live music, spending time with friends we made during the say. Then we would head to the theatre for the live show put on by the entertainment staff. I thought the staff did an amazing job and put a lot of effort into keeping everyone entertained with the shows. Many different themes, including Mamma Mia, Alice in Wonderland, Mexican Tradtional Dance and many others. We loved them all, our favourite was the Rock Show. Amazing job, beautiful sets.

If you've made it this far into my review, then kudos to you! I normally like to mention a couple of negatives in my reviews in order to be as thorough as possible, but I honestly truly cannot think of anything negative about this resort!!

This was the best vacation we've been on yet, great for a family, young or old. There were many couples and solo travelers as well as groups of friends but it was overall a family resort, and a great place to take our older daughters. So much to do for all ages!!

It is worth mentioning, don't get confused by the Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach versus the Grand Sirenis Rivieria Maya. They are the exact same resort, the different names just refer to two different check in desks and opposite sides of the property where the rooms are located. All the pools, restaurants, lobbys and beach is central to both.

I cannot wait to return to this resort. I strongly reccomend that you stay here. From the friendly staff, to the excellent food and clean water, to the atmosphere, activities and entertainment, this resort is truly a gem. 5 stars!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank DINA Q

Banff National Park, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

When we first got to this resort I started to compare everything to the resort we stayed at last year. This caused some negative feelings until I realized this was not fair. This resort has tons of things to offer people. Yes the Buffet meals were not as good as I hoped, but they did have lots of different foods and the cooks would even cook for you if asked. I noticed a review had said they had no vegetable's. I found lots of different types of veggies.. some were broiled, some grilled, some deep fried..The a la cartes were awesome. We went to the Japanese ( they cook the meal in front of you), Bayou, Steak house, Brazilian, and Mexican and all of them were very very good. The Beach near the kiddies pool was rocky but if you went down a little farther it was sand. If you go into the water I suggest water shoes though. Snorkeling was very good and you see lots..take a banana or some bread with you and the fish will come to you. Our room was very nice. We were in Building 28 (ocean view) and we had no bad smells or service problems. We left a tip in the fridge every day and asked for bottled water to take to the beach. They left us 5 bottles everyday!!! We used the big blue jug of water from the fridge to brush our teeth. We never got sick all week by doing this. We left a tip for our house cleaner everyday and the service was very good. When going to excursions, I would recommend Erick from Excursions (he is just to the right of transat). He asked where we wanted to go and explained all of the options very clearly and told us ways we could save money. We decided to trust him and did what he suggested and it was a 10/10 . By doing that we saved approx $100.00 .
All in all we felt that the resort we went to last year seemed more clean, the beach was nicer, the Buffets were better..But here at Grand Sirenis, the a la cartes were better, the beach had snorkeling, and they had the lazy river...To sum it all up..we would come back here again and be very happy and relaxed....

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank nighthawk137
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

We have stayed in a few "all inclusive" resorts over the years and have never booked less that a 4.5 star, we have come to expect that the food would never be all that great. The Grand Sirenis changed our minds. They food was fantastic, the service was excellent and the bars included premium brands of alcohol. There was lots to do, 3 great pools, 2 with a ton of activities. The spa was amazing! The only complaint that we had (and the resort is working on it) was that a lot of the guest would get up at 6am to put towels on the lounge chairs by the pools and on the beach chairs "reserving" them for later in the day. It was a bit annoying to walk around searching for chairs when many were left unused for hours. We finally resorted to just removing the towels and taking the chairs. If everyone used the chairs only when they needed them there would be more than enough to go around. Other than that the place was great and we would go back there for sure.

1 Thank trixie026
Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a 4 day getaway. When flying out of Philly, this essentially gives you 2.5 days at the resort because of travel and flight times. The resort is more than an hour from the airport.

Our overall impression of the resort was very positive. The staff was friendly and helpful. The resort definitely is large, you are going to walk a couple miles everyday. We found the food to be adequate, but when you stay at all inclusive they need to cook things to suit the taste of more people. There were plenty of selections though so finding something that suited your taste was easy enough to do. We ate at the Mexican specialty restaurant and both thought our meals were very good.

Pool chairs were definitely at a premium. The signs say no reserving but if you want one of the thatched huts to use, you better have your stuff on the chair by 6:00AM. I am an early riser so was sitting by the pool every morning by 5:00 or 5:30 to watch the sun come up and saw the huts fill up. If you want to be on the beach, the people I talked to said it wasn't as bad on the sand.

There are only 2 negatives i would point out. One the pools open at 8:00Am but the pool bars and waitress service doesn't start until 10, would be nice to be able to get a soda or water at least during the 8-10 timeframe. The 2nd is the resort has very nice tile work throughout the resort, including the bathrooms. These are extremely slippery when wet. I saw a couple of bad falls.

I would absolutely return to this resort. For the money I thought it was a great deal. The pools and people were very nice. The lazy river definitely is well named. It is a nice slow ride, no faster sections such as at the Atlantis in the Bahamas.

Room Tip: We were in Building 19, all rooms face the ocean and it sits off from the other buildings so was lon...
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Ned K
Sudbury, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

I would like to say how happy I was to stumble onto another forum specific to this resort prior to our trip to GS. I read and researched for weeks prior to our departure, this 'other' forum was so informative and was a contributing factor to a wonderful vacation. I found the negative reviews on TA quite disturbing, and I think this resort deserves a favourable review.
Flights and transfers: we flew Air Transat ex Toronto, it was an uneventful flight, arriving on time. It was easy to navigate an unfamiliar airport and find our Air Transat Rep and bus waiting for our arrival. We enjoyed a Cervasa on the way to the resort. The ride went quickly, was probably almost 2 hrs, as we had to drop passengers at 2 other resorts....not a big deal.
Check-In: we arrived at noon, and our room wasn't quite ready (as we expected) this allowed us to enjoy a fancy drink in the lobby and have lunch at the main buffet. Our room was ready by the time we were finished lunch, which was a nice surprise, as we were told it would be after 3pm. The bell boys graciously delivered our luggage the minute we arrived in our rooms. Thank you!
Rooms: We had requested 2 adjacent rooms, 2nd or 3rd floor, and our wish was granted. We were in BACABS 3rd floor, the building was nice and clean, and conveniently located to the activity pool, the lobby and theatre. We don't smoke, but appreciated the sand art on top of each garbage can! Our rooms were beautiful, large, very clean.... and honestly, I didn't notice a musty smell..Our beds were comfy, the air cond was comfy, The bathroom spacious and toilet and shower worked just fine. The balcony faced the lobby entrance, we didn't find it noisy from the busses, we sat out each day between pool time and shower time before dinner and watched people come and go. The maid service was just fine, pleny of clean towels and bottled water and replenished cervasas !
Pools: I found these areas to be very clean and beautiful. Plenty of lounge chairs and beds with lots of sun or shade option. Yes, we played the towel game ... guilty! We spent most of our time at the activity pool, the service was wonderful and the entertainment crew very entertaining. Hint: don't go barefoot to the washroom ... they do get very wet ... keep your flip flops on! Sonia, our barmaid was a gem! Such beautiful people!
Beach: Definately not Cuba, but this beach is nice, and it does have character ... loved the beach bar and the daily lunch and cocktails served on the beach. The snorkelling was great .. stingray, octopus, lots of pretty smaller fish.
Lazy River: Very fun ... we never had to wait very long for a tube, in the event that they were all out.
Iguanas: They are everwhere! I grew kind of fond of them after awile, always looking for them ... from a distance of course!
Buffet: We had no issues with the food or water, there was always a good variety. El Rancho was our favourite breakfast spot and lunch too ( great pizza!) The service everywhere was wonderful:
A La Cartes: We visited El Rancho, great dinner, excellent service. We visited Italian, beautful dinner, they were busy so service was slightly lacking, but a beautiful dinner and very nice buffet for the hors douvres. My favourite, Japanese, it was amazing! Excellent presentation! Delicious! Great service! Now I must say, Thank you to a previous post for sharing the tip about, offering a tip to the Maitre D, in the event that the concierge was unable to fit us in ( perhaps because we declined his offer for time share?) What did we have to lose? The Maitre D graciously accepted my gratuity (Im ok with that!) and fit us into the 8pm setting on the same evening! We were so pleased! Probably my favorite dinner the entire week! Although we were able to get into every a la carte of our choice, this is probably our only bone to pick, The availability of time slots / days to book a reservation is limited, and I am quite sure this is consistant with many AI resorts that offer A la Carte Restaurants.
Summary: I suppose we are easy to please Canadians, but found it difficult to 'nit-pick' this resort. Our vacation was absolutely flawless. We had a wonderful week. The Staff and Servers are so friendly, they are beautiful people with the biggest smiles on their faces, love them! We would definately return and would recommend this resort to family and friends.

Room Tip: BACABS 1135 & 1137 - convenient to the pool, lobby & theatre
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Haasjl
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

The hotel is very large, with beautiful grounds, and many shuttles to drive you around. We enjoyed walking as there were many different, well lit paths to take you where you were going. There were lots of things to choose from at the buffet, and the cappuccinos were fantastic. Our favorite a la carte was definitely the Brazilian one. Whether it is authentic or not, the meat was fantastic. The steakhouse was also good (had the filet mignon as advised by other people who had been there), but we did not care for the Mediterranean a la carte. The drinks were plentiful, and the snack bars had great taco chips and fresh guacamole and salsa. There were a few days where there was a cookout on the beach, and the food was very good. Both of the lobbies are beautiful, and the pools are very large. We enjoyed the beach, but did bring water shoes along for the rocks. Bring a mask and snorkel, as you could see many beautiful fish swimming along the shoreline and deeper. The spa is beautiful. We had a couples massage on the private beach listening to the birds and the ocean. The water circuit at the spa is also very relaxing, be sure to sit in the heated tiled chairs in the waiting area....they are great! We headed to both Playa del Carmen and Tulum. We took the collectivo (van) on the highway and enjoyed both places. The best part of the resort was the concierge in our building. If you are lucky enough to stay in Ikaban (building 24), Angel Omar will be one of your concierge there. He was absolutely amazing!!!! He helped us with any questions, how to catch the Collectivo, booking our a la carte meals, even giving my husband aloe vera gel when he noticed his sunburn. He was always willing to help, explain what was going on at the resort, even recommended services at the spa. We really enjoyed the fact that you didn't have to go all the way to the lobby to get information. With concierge right on the main floor in your building, you never had to go far for an answer. Their hours are from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., so there is always someone around. Angel (and Sandra - both concierge) are very helpful and attentive. We found the staff at the resort to be extremely friendly, helpful and courteous. We felt very safe there. We want to go back next year with our kids.

Room Tip: We were in the Ikaban building on the Mayan beach side. We stayed on the 3rd floor (top floor), and...
2 Thank LoriM67
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

This resort was excellent. We loved everything about it and the staff took it to another level of excellence! Only down fall was hard beds, but you will not regret staying here.
If they ask for you to become a member and for your time it is a great deal if you plan to travel lots. the couple we were traveling with bought a membership, however 4 hours later we were done.
We spent 2 weeks In Mexico this resort was our first week. The second week the resort we stayed at was horrible and all we wanted was to go back to the Sirenis!!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Tbelleville
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Grand Riviera Princess All Suite...
#94 of 204 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 stars 5,619 reviews
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
#70 of 204 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 stars 9,588 reviews

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!