“great place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

You added Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum, Zona Costera, Km. 256.3, Akumal 77780 , Mexico   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Red Deer, Alberta
“great place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

This place was great. The rooms were perfect, the sheets as the fellow poster states are on the thinner side but this is nice in a hot moist place like most "tropical" places near the ocean. I loved the bed. it was firm and im used to very plush but i did not need to crack my neck the whole week of this trip which is unusual and i slept like a log. i never write reviews i find a waste of my time but because i read so many before i went i feel this place does not deserve to be trashed like some tend to do on here. The resort was large, but we had no problem walking to everything we needed in 5-7 minutes from room 2941. You really have to be a lazy person to take the shuttles to get around for it is gorgeous day and night on the grounds and seen older individuals enjoying the walks. It was over weight or lazy people that needed the rides to and fro. ( not meant as a rude judgement just what was truthfully noticed) so dont worry about the size of the resort. the disco was alittle further away which is NICE so you can sleep at night. We had no problems whatsoever finding lounge chairs at the beach with cover. This might be due to the time of season, not sure. the beach was the nicest ive seen, i care not much for the beaches that are overated and look the same and get boring. this still carries massive natural appeal and feel to it. the beautiful waters had really cool fish that you can feed bananas to. they will even circle you waiting for food, i had some jumping out of the water almost in an attempt to catch my attention. really cool. the water was red flagged a few days but we still swam for it makes the swim a little more fun some days as long as you dont go past the buoys. staff was great, people need to remember that they do alot and some days people will be generally happier than others but they do their job like anyone else in this world would do. I booked through book-it.com and everything was smooth. we went ziplining through salvatica and would highly recommend. the only thing i didnt like was the beach bar smell. it was the meat they cooked my husband liked it but the smell i couldnt handle. The food was ok at best but its mexico. the resort is supposedly a 5 star but you have to remember in these countries 5 star means 3.5 and so on. We even had so much fun we forgot to continue with sunscreen the first day and recieved pretty near severe burns. still this did not dampen our trip cause the place was great.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,971)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

We booked through apple vacations who rated this as 'five golden apples'. It was a dump. The sheets were so old you could see through them to the tired old mattress. I would throw my own sheets out if they looked that worn but it's even worse when hundreds of strangers have slept on them. Other than the bed the room was ok although the bathroom was a little tired.

The kids pool looked abandoned and the pool liner was floating on top of the pool. A guy with a chainsaw was cutting fencing and the sawdust was flying into the pool. The rest of the pools were pretty run down also.

The lazy river was fun after I found the control panel and switched it on.

we only stayed one night, slept with all our clothes on and transferred to another hotel.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

For starters I would like to say that the hotel has great potential because it is a beautiful place, but the building we stayed in was old and needs renovation.

We decided to go to Grand Sirenis for my parent's 50th anniversary and we were a large party of 16 including 3 teenagers. My mom had been planning this trip for months and getting the entire family together for their anniversary was quite exciting. The first day we arrived my mom had made reservations prior to the trip for 3 of the restaurants one of them the Mexican restaurant. When we got there they told us that the Mexican restaurant only opened on Tuesdays....so we had to pick another restaurant, that was dissappointing since we were looking forward to having mexican food. 2 DAYS LATER (NOT ON A TUESDAY) when I was walking around the hotel I saw the restaurant was opened and when I went to ask they said they had no idea why anyone would have given me that information and they were booked. One person tells you one thing and another tells you something else.

Either way we were there to have a good time and decided to continue having a good time. When we were in the pool at around 6:00 they told us we had to get out because they were closing the pools, and not even 5 minutes later one of the workers came out with the chemicals to start cleaning the pool while we were still in the process of getting out. One of my nephews had a n accident trying to get out of the pool quickly and almost broke his nose and started bleeding a lot, when we found one of the staff and asked him for ice he said they didn't have any...REALLY!!!!!!!????? Finally it was taken care of after we insisted in getting first aid otherwise nobody made any efforts to help us.

When I got to my room that night after dinner the room smelled terrible and the bed was not prepared like 5 star hotels do before bedtime. When my husband and I opened the sheets, there were spots all over the sheets so I had to call the front desk to have someone come change them...the gentleman's name was Carlos and he was wonderful!!

I can go on and on about soooo many details that made the experience way below our expectations. It was like the "NO" hotel. Everytime we asked they said no and gave no reasons. My father is in his late 70's and has a knee problem ...we had to ask several times to get a cart for him because they said NO. Then when we went to the SPA for the TEMAZCAL my mom got burned on the leg with one of the light bulbs and when she told the guy who was in charge of the TEMAZCAL he said he didn't have anything for her. My mom went to the front desk and asked to get some cream or someone to look at the burn and they said they didn't have anything so my sister-in -law had to demand a first ais kit for my mom's burn which blistered terribly and my mom is still hurting from it.

These are just some of the examples of how terrible the service was, we were 16 celebrating a beautiful anniversary and were not treated with common courtesy. The entire experience was rushed and the service was terrible it seems as if the workers are all under paid and then they take it out on the guests...or at least on some of the guest. Beds were not comfortable, not all that clean...there was a splatterd insect with blood inside the bathroom since the first day we got our room and we had to clean it with alsohol....

The Mediterranean restaurant was good but the manager was so roude!!! getting 16 people on time is a bit difficult but we managed to do it except the last night some of my family members were running no more than 10 minutes behind, well they told us if they did not get there in 3 minutes they wouldn't eat, and sure enough they didn't eat the main dish only the buffet part. I have been to other all inclusive hotels and they would NEVER do that!!! When we asked for a certain fish dish, they said they couldn'r make it because it needed one hour preparation, but our reservation was at 9 so why make reservations that late????

The alcohol was TERRIBLE!!! If you don't ask for good stuff they give you the worse of the worse......almost like gasoline. Some of the staff was sarcastic and not very cortious at all.

OH!!!! and don't even think about using the ATM they charge $6.00 plus taxes for the transactions!! And when we checked our account today it says $40 per transaction !!! WE WILL CALL FIRST THING IN THE MORNING.

In conclusion the hotel was definitely not a 5 star hotel, sometimes is better to spend a little extra money and get good service..PICK ANOTHER ALL INCLUSIVE!!!

Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

We have not been to an all inclusive for 19 years with our most recent trips being on cruises. That being said, you can't beat the food on a cruise, however most of our meals here were great with the exception of the Italian restaurant. The staff were fantastic, friendly, courteous and plentiful. For those who complain about the beach....they're nuts!!! Yes there are some rocky areas ( I cut my foot the first day) but once you determine where they are you will be fine. The entire area is coral covered in sand. Just be careful where the waves break on the beach....or wear water shoes. We travelled to the ruins at Ek Balam with www.alltoursnative.com which was about 2 hours from the hotel. It included a trip to a large cenote....both were great and the tour company was very helpful. This is one of the only sites where you can still climb to the top and it's quite the view. Overall a great time and we would definately return.

barrie,on, canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

The purpose of my trip was to do a lot of diving with my 11 yr old son and not hang out at a pool and drink all day or be entertained at night, this is not a place for singles or couples if you are expecting lots of entertainment. We were off the resort property every day but one.
The negatives were, we arrived at noon and our room wasn't ready until a little after 3 but they say check in is 3 so this a Transat issue and/or pick a later flight but the opportunity for the resort is to coordinate room readiness with flight arrivals. It is a large place and they have shuttles but the service is really bad and in fact they didn't stop for us a few times, my biggest complaint. There is a great shortage of lounges for the beach and the pools and you need to ' reserve ' one before breakfast.
The rooms was very clean and kept that way, the jaccuzi took forever to fill but everything else worked fine and the mini bar was always stocked. The beds were fine and everything was clean. The grounds were well maintained and the staff were very friendly and helpful, they work hard.
The food in the buffet was always good and lots of choice, the service from some was not great but good. The best waiters were Diego for dinner, find out where he is serving and Tano for lunch, they do a great job and really hussle.
The a la carte restaurants were ok, the buffet was just as good or better in some cases. The beach is small and not great snorkelling and you definitely need water shoes because of the coral.
Overall, really good value for what we paid and I would recommend this place depending on what your going for and would return.

• Stayed April 2011
canada777_9
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

Just returned a few days ago from the Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach where my husband and I got married with 40 of our closest friends and family!

I have to say that this resort is beautiful! The beach, the pools, the restaurants, etc. But like everyone has already said, it is a VERY LARGE resort, so yes, please keep in mind that you will be doing lots of walking and lots of stairs, especially if your hotel room is on one of the top floors. Must try the drink "Purple Rain" at the lobby bars!! So good!

We arrived to the hotel on Good Friday after a pleasant hour bus ride from the airport with a quick check in, a nice welcome drink, and a congratulations and welcome from the wedding coordinator. They took my dress to hold until our rooms were ready and did send them to our room as soon as it was ready. I thought that was nice of them.

Three large pools, lots of activities, beach is beautiful, but yes, rocky upon entering the water. Lazy river is fun except when it is over crowded with people which can be expected. Disco nights were good when I went. They either have it on the beach or the actual disco itself. The ones on the beach were better because it was cooler. We left the resort in time as all college/university students were just arriving and the last two nights there were too rowdy and noisy for us as it was filled with underage kids drunk and fighting while security watched.

My bridesmaids and I would like to send a huge thank you for Alejandro at the front desk as he was such a treat to deal with after the fiasco my bridal party and I had to deal with the last night we were there.

I treated my girls to a massage as a thank you gift, only to find out that I was triple charged for massages, they claimed it was my fault that I didn't check the receipts properly and we were so annoyed that we had to spend 3 hours the night before sorting this out with the General Manager and one of the worst wedding coordinators in the world, Ceceilia. She was the worst. The customer service level at this resort overall needs some major work. I would recommend this hotel as mentioned before because it was beautiful and our actual wedding day exceeded our expectations, but I and my group I went with would not return to it due to the lack of customer service.

Brides beware - we never got our breakfast in the morning as promised after 3 days of rescheduling it! But the set up of wedding is so pretty, especially against the ocean and blue skies!

I haven't put too much in this review, but if you're interested in more information, especially brides looking for resorts to get married, please feel free to message me!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Lloydminster, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

Hola! Just got back last night. We had a great time at the GS. We are a family of 4, with a 12 and 15 yr old. We arrived via American Transfers, which were fantastic and we strongly recommend them! We got to GS just after 2pm, to an empty lobby and we were able to check in immediately. I have heard of people getting greeted with drinks and people helping them where to go but no one greeted us nor helped us. It could have been because we didn't arrive by bus? It was slightly confusing but nothing we couldn't handle.

We were assigned the Naan building on the Mayan side,third floor. We were a bit concerned that the noise from the pool would be too much but it got completely quiet around 7pm and the view of the resort at night from our balcony was amazing! Our room was clean, cool, and larger than we expected. We did leave tips but not every day. We had very clean rooms every day and towel art every day.

The kids loved the lazy river and we loved the beach bar. Victor was our favorite bartender and he made mean mojitos and pink lemonades. Our favorite pool was the quiet pool (we were in desperate need of R&R) but we usually made our way to the party pool around 3 for a pick up game of volleyball. We are in our 40's and the pool was mostly 20-30 crowd and quite the party crowd.

We went to our consierge immediatly upon check in to reserve our a la cartes. We knew that the gold tie people were the time share people but honestly the time share girl "Sophia" took care of us every time we needed something. I don't even know the name of the other consierges, they never even said hi to us, only told us they were busy. (they were on the computer doing stuffthe first time we sat down and were actually a bit rude..) But Sophia helped us with no probs.

The grounds were wonderful, our favorite so far. We like to walk and we were waiting for these "huge" distances between things that we had read about but we did not find walking a problem. It would only take us about 4 minutes to walk from the Naan building to the lobby. I don't get these people that eat and drink all day and can't walk for 5 minutes... unless of course you have a disability.

We had red flag days every day we were there except for the last day which was yellow. By then the poor ocean was completely churned up. There were fish but the water was so murky by then it was not great snorkelling. The beach is beautiful though, and the bay is so nice. Too bad the ocean was rough but that of course isn't anyone's fault.

My husband and I would get up early around 6 a.m. and we needed to get out of our rooms and let our teens sleep, lol. There wasn't really any place to go. other than the lobby. The coffee shop (which is great btw) wasn't open until 8:30!!! That was crazy! The only place for coffee until then was up at the lobby bar. So, we would find lounges at the pool and hang out there. So, we kinda played the "towel game" but we were there the whole time, lol. It was amazing to see all of the people just dump their towels at 6am and then go off until after 1 pm..

We found everyone to be in a good mood and very helpful. The resort to be well run and beautiful. Our only regret is the food. The breakfast buffets were good - it's fruit, eggs, yogurts etc - we loved the fruit waters.

Lunch : loved the beach bar! Had great taco meats and salads, fries and burgers. My son loved the beach bar b que they did right beside the beach bar. Our fave place for lunch though was the steakhouse buffet. They had everything! Great rotisserie chicken, made to order meats, good salads, burgers, fries, soft serve icecream, etc.

Dinners: we did not love. We attended the Oriental , Mexican and standard buffets. My son loved all of the meat, and deep fried.. the rest of us did not. I missed having shrimp (is it not in season??) anywhere, and fresh veggies that were not in butter, fried, or soggy in cheese. They did have very good soups, and the sushi on Oriental night was quite good.

A la Cartes: We went to the Steakhouse (get filets not the T bone) and it was ok. My meal was cold and the rest of the family's was warm. The hot buffet items were cold (wings, potatoes, etc) and we had to ask them to warm them up,, which they did with a smile. We had Carlos and he was amazing! Really good cheesecake :)

Cajun: was not so good. The prawns on the buffet looked so good! I piled them on my plate. On my first bite, I realized that they were mushy. The coconut shrimp were good though. My husband loved his cajun steak, my son had ribs and although they had good flavor they were a very poor cut (mostly fat and bone) My daughter had the jambalya - good flavor but again, cold - and it had large chunks of pork fat in cubes - maybe for the flavor? To bite into these chunks was not fun. It also had cut up weiners in it.... at first we thought for sure they were sausages, but nope wieners..

Brazil: we thought was the best. Everything was HOT! They were the only ones that made sure to take care of my husbands severe allergies to nuts and seafood. They were very dilegent. The meat was fresh, sizzling and all of it was good. The buffet selection wasn't huge but what we tasted was very good.

All in all, we loved our vacation and it is what you make of it. We all found food that we liked just never at once. We are very healthy eaters (ok, I make my kids eat that way it's not their choice) We just didn't have a moment when we ever said "you have got to taste this"! So, even though the place is great we won't be going back due to the food. That makes us sad ..

We found that we loved the Riu, Palladium,Moon Palace, Aventura Spa Palace, and Barcelo's food all over the GS's. When you are a "foodie" and I guess, picky, it matters that much to us. If you love cheese, deep fried, burgers, fries and not too many spices, you may love it.

Room Tip: naan building, rm #2955 was great!