I read a lot of reviews on this place before I went, And I'll say it was pretty much 50/50. When we got to the hotel we were blown away. They had beautiful lobbies, bars everywhere, and EXTREMELY kind and accommodating staff...which oddly enough was one of the biggest complaints I had found.
I'm young but I have traveled a lot in my life, and this was by far the best experience over all. But after a week there seeing how some people treat the staff there, no wonder they thought it was bad service, I would have not care about someones demands either if they treated me as some people treat the staff. They are regular working class citizens, and some people treat them like they are scum on the bottom of their shoes! Treat the staff with the respect you would expect from someone and tip when appropriate and you will be treated like a king/queen guaranteed!
Now I went with my hubby, and 3 of our good friends... us as a couple and the guys all single. One of the only negatives that we could find is the boy's said it was more of a couples/ family resort but I firmly believe in the summer it would be a lot different, there is a lot going on all the time for single people, It's just the hotel was not very busy with it being the off season.
The only other thing, was not a complaint that we had, but we all could see that it is something that may bother others-- THE WALKING! Ohh my ohh my, in a week we barely covered most of the hotel! It was massive... but it made it so there was a ton to do all the time.
The Palladium, has a group of entertainers the work 11-12 hour days to keep you busy and entertained with activities at the pool with giveaways of tequila! ( ps the BEST BARTENDER IS PEDRO AT THE SWIM UP BAR! But watch out you will be passed out drunk by 2pm) There were parties at the club at night, shows on the stage, even a mechanical bull at the Colonial pool on MONDAYS!! They were incredible! And if they don't keep you going, there was archery, mini golf, tennis courts, rifle shooting, and more and the activity center, a spa, an adult pool, volley tournaments at the beach, big games on at the sports bar, scuba lessons, non-motorized beach toys, shows every night, in house shopping, and my personal favorite.. the SALTWATER POOL ! a total must see, its breathtaking! If your scared of the ocean but wanna swim with the fish...GO HERE! Plus they have beautiful cabanas you can lay in ♥ But if you still can't find anything for you (which i don't know if its possible), there are MILLIONS of excursions you can take! Or travel down town to 5th ave, Play Del Carmen and do some real Mexican shopping ! Be ready to barter!
Now for the food.. The buffet was alright it wasn't terrible but its not something you can do all the time...I highly recommend taking advantage of every al a carte! We loved them, our favorite was probably the Italian, and the Ribs, but the feeling and experience of the Japanese was very cool! If you go to the Japanese, I highly highly recommended waiting for the chef's table... where you watch the guys cook it right in front of you!
My biggest advice to anybody though is seriously treat the staff like human beings and tip accordingly, and you will be royalty! You would be astounded what 1 dollar on your pillow everyday will get ya :)
I would 100% recommend this hotel to anyone! In fact we are talking of returning super soon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa is located sea front with superb access to the beach and is only 20 minutes from Playa del Carmen. Guests are invited to use the facilities provided by the adjoining Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, the Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, and the Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Expedia so you can book your Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Palladium Riviera Hotel Akumal
- Grand Palladium Riviera Resort And Spa
- Grand Palladium Riviera Maya
- Hotel Grand Palladium Riviera
- Grand Palladium Riveria
- Gran Palladium Riviera
- Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico