“DON'T KNOW HOW ANYONE COULD WRITE A BAD REVIEW ON THIS PLACE!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa

You added Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera ChetumaL-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Chilliwack, Canada
“DON'T KNOW HOW ANYONE COULD WRITE A BAD REVIEW ON THIS PLACE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

I read a lot of reviews on this place before I went, And I'll say it was pretty much 50/50. When we got to the hotel we were blown away. They had beautiful lobbies, bars everywhere, and EXTREMELY kind and accommodating staff...which oddly enough was one of the biggest complaints I had found.
I'm young but I have traveled a lot in my life, and this was by far the best experience over all. But after a week there seeing how some people treat the staff there, no wonder they thought it was bad service, I would have not care about someones demands either if they treated me as some people treat the staff. They are regular working class citizens, and some people treat them like they are scum on the bottom of their shoes! Treat the staff with the respect you would expect from someone and tip when appropriate and you will be treated like a king/queen guaranteed!
Now I went with my hubby, and 3 of our good friends... us as a couple and the guys all single. One of the only negatives that we could find is the boy's said it was more of a couples/ family resort but I firmly believe in the summer it would be a lot different, there is a lot going on all the time for single people, It's just the hotel was not very busy with it being the off season.
The only other thing, was not a complaint that we had, but we all could see that it is something that may bother others-- THE WALKING! Ohh my ohh my, in a week we barely covered most of the hotel! It was massive... but it made it so there was a ton to do all the time.
The Palladium, has a group of entertainers the work 11-12 hour days to keep you busy and entertained with activities at the pool with giveaways of tequila! ( ps the BEST BARTENDER IS PEDRO AT THE SWIM UP BAR! But watch out you will be passed out drunk by 2pm) There were parties at the club at night, shows on the stage, even a mechanical bull at the Colonial pool on MONDAYS!! They were incredible! And if they don't keep you going, there was archery, mini golf, tennis courts, rifle shooting, and more and the activity center, a spa, an adult pool, volley tournaments at the beach, big games on at the sports bar, scuba lessons, non-motorized beach toys, shows every night, in house shopping, and my personal favorite.. the SALTWATER POOL ! a total must see, its breathtaking! If your scared of the ocean but wanna swim with the fish...GO HERE! Plus they have beautiful cabanas you can lay in ♥ But if you still can't find anything for you (which i don't know if its possible), there are MILLIONS of excursions you can take! Or travel down town to 5th ave, Play Del Carmen and do some real Mexican shopping ! Be ready to barter!
Now for the food.. The buffet was alright it wasn't terrible but its not something you can do all the time...I highly recommend taking advantage of every al a carte! We loved them, our favorite was probably the Italian, and the Ribs, but the feeling and experience of the Japanese was very cool! If you go to the Japanese, I highly highly recommended waiting for the chef's table... where you watch the guys cook it right in front of you!
My biggest advice to anybody though is seriously treat the staff like human beings and tip accordingly, and you will be royalty! You would be astounded what 1 dollar on your pillow everyday will get ya :)
I would 100% recommend this hotel to anyone! In fact we are talking of returning super soon!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Polish first
Cape Coral, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

The grounds are nice but need a bit of upkeep. Ants in the room but didn't really bother us. Bed was nice, room was huge but keeping it was never cool we slept hot. My wife and her friend had no problems finding a good stiff drink at all times. Bar in the room was always stocked but the fridges are certainly not cold or cool. Beach is very nice but the special section for royal guests is neither special nor for just royal guests. Watch out for the timeshare sales. Some people complain the resort is huge but we easily walked from one side to the other in 15 minutes.

Food was horrible. Everything is processed, inappropriately cold or warm and finding anything that would qualify as OK was hard to find. Cruise food is certainly a step up and I would have been happier at a McDonalds. Room service was actually worse as they rarely sent the right food, didn't show up on a few occasions and it was always cold. We ended up going offsite daily to Aventuras to do our dives and were very happy eating at Bamboo Coffee and Gringo Daves there. The only exception was the Royal section restaurant which has a pretty good lobster that can be ordered each night.

We did have a good time and had the food been better, it would be easy to give this place a thumbs up even though we had some minor complaints. However, the food was truly awful so we will not be going back. Puerto Aventuras and Akumal are much better places to stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 18, 2010
Thank you Straegen for your feedback about our resort. I'm sorry our resort was not what you expected.
In relation with the food we offer I just would like to say that even the hamburgers you mention are prepared in the Hotel. We are also now offering vegetables, fish and chicken hamburgers that our chefs make everyday.
Many people doesn't know, but I dare to say that about 90% of the food we offer in our buffet is cooked completely in our kitchens (the other 10% would include fries and something else).
All the bakery is made in our Kitchens, same that the desserts we have everyday in our buffets and restaurants. We have a team of 113 cookers working right now in our kitchens (in White Sand, Riviera and Royal Suites and other 100 in Colonial and Kantenah).
With all this I accept that some people may be doesn't like the food we prepare, but I can't accept to hear that all is processed.
At nights we have 9 a la carte restaurants (mexican, chinese, brazilian, italian, japanese...) and 2 buffets(different night theme every night) so I think we have enough offer to reach everybody wishes.
It would have been helpful to know about your disagreement with the food so any of our Managers on duty would have helped to chose a restaurant or to ask the chef to prepare something different for you.
For more information please contact us through our web page email.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

Upon arriving to the resort, we were immediately upgraded to a suite, free of charge. From there our stay only improved.

Our room was beautiful and ocean view, with a full living room (although we weren't in the Royal Suites section- which personally seemed like worse rooms, farther from the ocean and other resort ammenities. Perhaps the perks make up for it, I don't know.). Although the resort is spread out and you will get a work out in just making it to dinner, this was never an issue for us. The privacy and space was night. Everything was quiet and peaceful in the evenings and you never felt like other guests were on top of you or encroaching on your space.

Its nice that you can use the features of all 4 resorts, it makes the hotel seem expansive and provides lots of options for eating/activities.

As for eating, it wasn't the best food I have ever eaten, but it is what you should expect from an all exclusive. The waits were long which was a down-side, but the staff was generally friendly which helped. The Brazilian restaurant was the highlight of our dining experience and actually was truly wonderful (better than the Four Seasons in Costa Rica even!) and I would recommend it to anyone. Lunch was overwhelming with choices, but everything I ate was good (albeit not great). The Pico de Gallo was a star though and we made sure to have it with every meal possible.

The wildlife you can see at this resort is unique and quite enjoyable. If you aren't into nature though, this is not the resort for you. While it is not woodsy, it is eco-tourismy and you should know that walking into it.

The pools on this side of the resort were better, but the adult only pools win without a doubt. Plus the bartenders at these pools seemed to be better at catering to guests needs and made better (and stronger) drinks with smaller lines and a more relaxed atmosphere.

Its not a five star resort, but everything it does offer is well done (minus dinner waits), and it makes for a truly pleasant/relaxing experience.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

We stayed in the Riviera suites, and our bathroom had a jacuzzi, which was very nice! Unfortunately the mattresses were a bit uncomfortable (too hard) for our taste and the free internet service is only available in the lobbies. However, the hotel itself, including the beaches and pools, were beautiful! The entertainment was also spectacular, with different shows every night and live music afterward. The kids had a great time at the sports center. The food was good with lots of variety (14 restaurants to choose from!), and the drinks were so-so. My only real complaint would be that we noticed an unfortunate discrepancy in the treatment of the guests, with European and American guests receiving preferential treatment (friendlier greetings, better tables, getting picked up mid-route by the shuttles, etc) than Mexican guests. We (as a Mexican-American family) had to resort to speaking only English in order to get this kind of service, which is a shame. Based on this, I'm not sure if I could recommend Palladium to friends and family.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 4, 2010
Dear susanaNJ, I really appreciate your good comments about our Hotel. Our customers feedback really help us to improve our services.
I'm sorry that you felt that any customer received a better treatment than other. Our staff is our best asset and we normally receive very good comments and congratulations to many of them.
We don't accept our staff to have a bad attitude to a customer so when this is the case, it is very important to let the Management know this so we can take internal measures.
I'm sorry if this made you not to enjoy 100% your stay with us. Please if you have any other comments you can contact us to: acliente.riviera@fiestahotelgroup.com
Quebec
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

We had read that there would be a lot of walking involved, they were right. The lobbies and pools are at one end of the resort and the rooms are at the other end, in between you'll find the jungles. You get though this jungle by elevated covered bridges. I have never seen this kind of layout in carribean resorts. So if you choose this resort make sure you wear your running shoes. We were in block 63 and had a 20 minute walk to the main lobbies and restaurants. We were closer to the beach but the best beach is completely opposite on the left side of the resort near the Kantenah section of The Grand Palladium.
The rooms were very nice clean and well kept but the views whatever section you choose is overlooking the jungle.
The restaurants are very nice and the staff is wonderful. Breakfast was the best meal of the day. Lots of fresh fruits ect. Lunch was very light with no variety. We tried the restaurants at dinner time but we found that only the italian restaurant and the steak house was worth it. The others we tried which were less than average was Ribs and More, and the Brazilian Restaurant. We looked over the menus of the other restaurants and at the people's comments and we decided to visit the italian and steak house twice.
A lot could be done to improve the food offered at this resort.
One thing I don't understand is why have such beautiful gigantic pools when only very few people use them due to the cold freezing water temperature. The beach were nice but the rocky bottom isn't ideal for swimming. At one point I thought I was swimming in an aquarium since there were so many fish swimming around me.
Would I go back, no, would I recommend it , no. There are many better places around the carribean. Reasons: the layout, the food, the beach. Since we had paid under $1000
we didn't feel too bad about our vacation

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 19, 2010
Thank you Liberty55quebec for your comments about the Hotel.
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Our complex as the most part of the other Hotels in Riviera Maya, has a big extension (about 2million square metres). We are conscious about this so we provide internal transportation each 15-20 minutes around our lobbys and room buildings so it's not necessary to walk. The Hotel is also based in the contact with the natural environment, it's very easy to find different animals around the areas of the Hotel such as racoons, iguanas, monkeys...

In relation with our a la carte restaurants, we pay special attention to the service and our menus. We obtain every night the opinion of the customers of each restaurant through our electronical surveys at the end of their meal. In fact our Brazilian and Mexican restaurant are now the ones that people like the most.
I appreciate your feedback that helps us to improve our service. We will take into account all your comments and reccomendations.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you need more information about our resort or if there is something we can help: acliente.riviera@fiestahotelgroup.com
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

We had an excellent holiday and I would highly recommend this resort. My boyfriend and I stayed for 7 nights and we had a great time. There is such a great choice of restaurants and you order of the menu (3 or 4 courses and lots of food). Value for money is great and the food is of a high quality. There is so much to do and you can get a train around the resorts which are great fun. There is a health spa which is fantastic and an excellent gym for those who like to keep fit. I really enjoyed this resort and would give it top marks. The staff was also very friendly and the pool side entertainment was also great fun. There is so much to do for all ages. We visited the Italian, Japanese, Brazilian and Mexican. I loved them all and the staff and the food was great. I cannot believe that all this choice is included in the all inclusive price….just amazing!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Bentonville, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

We met friends at the Grand Palladium for a week vacation. We stayed in a junior suite and they were very spacious!! The resort is so big, that we stayed on the Riviera/White Sands side and did not venture to the Colonial/Kantenah side. Be prepared to do a lot of walking or waiting for the golf carts to shuttle you around, but I would highly recommend this resort. The service was great! My favorite restaurants were Bamboo (Chinese) and Portofino (Italian). Enrique was our waiter at Portofino and he was absolutely fabulous! Ask for him to serve you!!

The guests all seemed friendly. We made several friends and enjoyed learning about their travels. Great Vacation!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!