We travelled to the Grand Palladium in February with a group of 8 adults celebrating various milestone birthdays. We all stayed in the Royal Suites because it was the first time in a long time that we had not vacationed with our children. Loved everything about the Royal Suites...especially the ability to book dining reservations in advance. The rooms were fantastic. The balcony lounges and spa tubs were just as pictured --terrific !
Restaurants: Our best experiences were at the Brazilian and Japanese restaurants. Highly recommend these venues both for the food, atmosphere and service. Ironically, our worst meal was 'mexican'. We also experienced sporadic service at El Jardin --- allocated for Royal Suites clients exclusively. Good food but the service was not optimal to say the least.
Spa: Really opulent spa -- loved the 'free' sauna, hydrotherapy pools etc. After a day at the beach the services of the spa were greatly appreciated. The gym was great except for cardio machines in direct sunlight in the morning and the temperature being kept a 'warm' 24 degrees celcius. One person in the party had a great massage and another had a much needed 'after-sun' treatment that helped alleviate the suffering of sun-starved Canadian over indulgence.
Royal Suites service: If you are travelling without children I would highly recommend this option . The rooms and balcony spas are worth the extra money. The ability to book reservations..without a doubt ..terrific. Bali Beds on the beach ---- wonderful ! The shuttles to and fro are not as prompt as Type A personalities might prefer but the staff was on a whole --- wonderful.
Beach: Great sand and collection of beach lounges. The swimming areas were not above average --- coral to watch out for -- but the water was warmer than the pools. It's not Jamaica or the Bahamas but it was a nice place to refresh.
Pools: Lots of pools -- all pretty cool in February.
Grounds: Impressive dedication to preserving the natural surroundings and educating guests as to the wildlife to expect.
Off site excursions: A group of us took a taxi to Akumel bay to snorkel with the sea turtles one morning and then walked to "Ya kul Lagoon" to snorkel with more sea life. This was a really affordable, relaxing, wonderful excursion. Highly recommend this outing. Just arrange a cab from one of the lobbies and while away your time. We saw turtles, rays, and squid in Akumel bay. We snorkled with many varieties of fish at Ya Kul lagoon for $ 9 USD .
Alltournative tours: Some of us booked a half day excursion with this company which included a tour of the Tulum Ruins and time spent ziplining, cycling, and snorkling in cenotes. I can't recommend this highly enough... it was a great day ! We started out touring the ruins, learning about Maya culture, and lazing on the fantastic beach. Next we travelled to a 'farm' area and ziplining over cenotes and tree tops and cycling through the farm land. We experienced a purification ritual and snorkled in the cenotes. Our guide was fantastic ! I had the best meal of our whole trip, local produce , served by local women in an open air 'lounge'. Great time ! Would recommend for all ages !
All in all... I would probably return to the Grand Palladium before trying other hotels on Mayan because of the great variety in activities and restaurants. I am sure my children would enjoy this resort but it would be difficult to give up the bali beds on the beach and the spa tubs on the balconies which the Royal Suites afford their guests.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa is located sea front with superb access to the beach and is only 20 minutes from Playa del Carmen. Guests are invited to use the facilities provided by the adjoining Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, the Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, and the Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Palladium Riviera Hotel Akumal
- Grand Palladium Riviera Resort And Spa
- Grand Palladium Riviera Maya
- Hotel Grand Palladium Riviera
- Grand Palladium Riveria
- Gran Palladium Riviera
- Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico