“Exactly What We Needed” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa

You added Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera ChetumaL-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
snowbelt, ontario
“Exactly What We Needed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

We travelled to the Grand Palladium in February with a group of 8 adults celebrating various milestone birthdays. We all stayed in the Royal Suites because it was the first time in a long time that we had not vacationed with our children. Loved everything about the Royal Suites...especially the ability to book dining reservations in advance. The rooms were fantastic. The balcony lounges and spa tubs were just as pictured --terrific !

Restaurants: Our best experiences were at the Brazilian and Japanese restaurants. Highly recommend these venues both for the food, atmosphere and service. Ironically, our worst meal was 'mexican'. We also experienced sporadic service at El Jardin --- allocated for Royal Suites clients exclusively. Good food but the service was not optimal to say the least.

Spa: Really opulent spa -- loved the 'free' sauna, hydrotherapy pools etc. After a day at the beach the services of the spa were greatly appreciated. The gym was great except for cardio machines in direct sunlight in the morning and the temperature being kept a 'warm' 24 degrees celcius. One person in the party had a great massage and another had a much needed 'after-sun' treatment that helped alleviate the suffering of sun-starved Canadian over indulgence.

Royal Suites service: If you are travelling without children I would highly recommend this option . The rooms and balcony spas are worth the extra money. The ability to book reservations..without a doubt ..terrific. Bali Beds on the beach ---- wonderful ! The shuttles to and fro are not as prompt as Type A personalities might prefer but the staff was on a whole --- wonderful.

Beach: Great sand and collection of beach lounges. The swimming areas were not above average --- coral to watch out for -- but the water was warmer than the pools. It's not Jamaica or the Bahamas but it was a nice place to refresh.

Pools: Lots of pools -- all pretty cool in February.

Grounds: Impressive dedication to preserving the natural surroundings and educating guests as to the wildlife to expect.

Off site excursions: A group of us took a taxi to Akumel bay to snorkel with the sea turtles one morning and then walked to "Ya kul Lagoon" to snorkel with more sea life. This was a really affordable, relaxing, wonderful excursion. Highly recommend this outing. Just arrange a cab from one of the lobbies and while away your time. We saw turtles, rays, and squid in Akumel bay. We snorkled with many varieties of fish at Ya Kul lagoon for $ 9 USD .

Alltournative tours: Some of us booked a half day excursion with this company which included a tour of the Tulum Ruins and time spent ziplining, cycling, and snorkling in cenotes. I can't recommend this highly enough... it was a great day ! We started out touring the ruins, learning about Maya culture, and lazing on the fantastic beach. Next we travelled to a 'farm' area and ziplining over cenotes and tree tops and cycling through the farm land. We experienced a purification ritual and snorkled in the cenotes. Our guide was fantastic ! I had the best meal of our whole trip, local produce , served by local women in an open air 'lounge'. Great time ! Would recommend for all ages !

All in all... I would probably return to the Grand Palladium before trying other hotels on Mayan because of the great variety in activities and restaurants. I am sure my children would enjoy this resort but it would be difficult to give up the bali beds on the beach and the spa tubs on the balconies which the Royal Suites afford their guests.

PW

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

My husband, 12 y.o. daughter just returned from the Grand Palladium. This was our 5th trip to Mexico, ist to the Grand Palladium.

We would return in a minute. In fact have started to save already for next year. The resort is marvellous! We stayed in a Jr. Suite, very roomy and comfortable. I had emailed the resort prior to arriving with my preferences, and although didn't get exactly what I had requested; we were on the 2nd floor rather than the 3rd., it was a minor disappointment.

I generally have a fairly low-medium standard for food at AIs, and for the most part my expectations have been met. The Grand Palladium changed this. The food was pretty good! We ate only at the ala cartes for dinner and really enjoyed everyone of our meals. There is plenty to chose from in terms of restaurants. Some waits depending on when we chose to dine, but not I believe the longest was one hour. Spent the time people watching in the lobby bar. Breakfast and lunch usually were in the buffet. Omelettes were delicious. Great selection at lunchtime at the pool buffets. You could eat healthy...or not. The beach restaurants/bars had a fair selection, with fresh fruit and veg. The chicken tacos were very good.

The beach is fabulous. We spent most of our time at the Kantenah end, and plan to reserve in that section next year, to be close to our beach spot. Lovely beach for walking, long and wide, sand was soft and firm. Water was clear, looking like a postcard.

The staff are truly the hilight of this resort, with no exceptions, we were treated with courtesy and they go out of there way to give you what you need. Friendly and funny! Angell the bellman at Kantenah deserves extra kudos for helping us out. His name is appropriate.

We did book with AGI for transfer from the airport. Carlos was great, and we would book with them again. Talk about personal, great service.

I don't think you can go wrong with this resort. This was our second choice for vacation, as our first choice had sold out...as my husband said, when we lost we won!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Vancouver Island, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2009

My husband and I went in Feb/March of 2007 and 2008 with two different couples. We had such an amazing time the 1st time the 2nd couple got so sick of us talking about it they joined us for the 2nd trip in 2008. Can't say enough about the resort and the surrounding area(s). **** there is always room for improvement.

The only thing bad I can say is about the other travelers that stayed there only a few mind you but just a curtious gesture such as making room for everyone to walk two abreast instead of four in the court yard walkways so we can all can keep moving to our destination. Not alot to ask for when your all trying to enjoy yourself.

We had so much fun meeting new people from all over the world and of course the locals.

Loved Tulum for shopping Playa de Carmen is great too but the people in Tulum were very friendly and the best pizza.

I could go on and I will add to this review.

Love Love the Palladium

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, B.C,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

My girlfriend and I were at the Grand Palladium Riviera from Feb.21 to Feb.28/09. We researched resorts for months before we went, and we finally picked this one over the rest. Great choice! Check in took 5 minutes and we were upgraded to a junior suite. Beautiful room with a jacuzzi, big walk in shower, nice big balcony, satelite tv with lots of channels and very clean.
This resort is huge, and has trains and drivers to get you around if you want. We walked everywhere because the grounds and jungle boardwalks were incredible. Lots of animals like monkeys, racoons, anteaters , lizards etc. which was exciting.
Beach is as nice as it gets on the Kantenah side, white powder sand and ice blue water, just like a postcard. Riviera side is rocky but its not far to walk down the beach to where you can swim. You never have to worry about chairs at this resort!!! There is so many chairs at the beach and the pools that they are always available, which we loved.
Pools are big and everywhere, with activites going all day.
Food is spectacular. 4 buffets, 2-24hr beach restaurants and 8 ala carte restaurants. We go for dinner at home alot and the food is just as good there. Don't miss the beach barbecue night on the sand!
Everywhere you look is a different bar with great service. The entire resort is very clean, bathrooms were cleaned every 2 hrs, grounds are perfect.
The people giving bad reviews must have went to a different resort or are extremely hard to please, and should just stay home.
We have been to many 4.5 and 5 star resorts in Mexico and the Dominican Republic and this was our favorite yet! If you are trying to decide like we were, just book this resort and you will be glad that you did!

Haliburton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

This resort is definitely not for people who need assistance or for elderly people. There is far too much walking to get to the beach or a pool, which in some cases requires going over bridges. There are no hand rails in the showers in the rooms for people who need assistance and going up the floors to the rooms there are no railings to hold on to. When we booked our room we required three rooms on the main floor and as close to the beach as possible. Now I know that the Riviera does not have a beach, but there are rooms that do not require as much walking to get to the beach. We were put on the third floor of Villa 67, which was one of the farthest from the beach and did not have any elevators to accommodate. As my parents where in their late 80's this was unacceptable, plus I was going in for surgery on my knee upon our return, so also required the use of a cane to get around. After much arguing we were given two rooms on the main floor in Villa 68, which is the farthest Villa away from the beach. We quickly learned that you could require the assistance of golf carts to get to the main lobby and back, where upon arriving you were required to take the train to the other resorts if you so wished. That would be great if they had someone capable of driving these trains. Two times trying to board that train, the driver did not make sure we were on and seated when he decided to take off. I was fortunate enough to grab on and hold on, but my father was knocked to the ground. We were told we must have been in a hurry to catch the train, so they apologized but did not feel responsible. I can assure you that an 89 year old is never in a hurry and this was just irresponsibility on the driver's part. We were not satisifed with the explanation we received from the manager and upon return my husband wrote to the owner, who also seemed really not interested in what had happened to us but was apologetic. I will say this was our fourth visit to this resort and my parents and son's first visit. We certainly will never return here and would not recommend this place to anyone who has any kind of disability or the elderly. I will say that the people who drove the golf carts were very curteous and helpful, but I think that is all I can say.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
saskatoon SK CAN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

What an amazing place. My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon at the GP Riviera and we enjoyed every second of it. We had travelled with signature vacations and was not disapointed one bit. Everything was taken care of for us as soon as we arrived at the airport in Cancun. We had our own signature rep. at the hotel itself to take care of booking excursions or any problems that may arrise at the resort. The place is massive. Expect to do a bit of walking to get around the resort. we enjoyed it after stuffing your face with the food all day, it was nice to move around. If you don't want to walk they have trains that go from lobby to lobby every 10-15 minutes, and big golf cart trains that will go from the lobbies to your villa. Our room was something else. We stayed in a Suite. There was a living room with couch, chairs and desk , hallway to master with king bed. 2 balconies, 2 flat screen tv's daily stocked beer and water fridge, in room safe, jacuzzi tub. The room had to be about 500 sq. ft. Everything there (cleanliness, food, drinks, service), was above and beyond what we expected it to be. It had 8 a la carte restaurants (dress code requires men to wear long pants) and 5 buffet restaurants. Each of the a la carte restaurants opened at 5 30 for supper only and each had a different theme. It is best to be there at 530 or earlier to line up as the restaurants can fill up fast. There was a couple of times that we had to wait 2 hours to be seated, but they give you a pager so you can sit in the lobby bar and have drinks till you are called. The themes are Steakhouse, medditerannean, chinese, japanese, brazilian, ribhouse, Italian, mexican and a open air seafood restaurant on the beach. The food was excellent. The buffet in the riviera were we stayed was huge!! There was even a 24 hour beer and snack bar on the beach right beside the riviera villas which was nice and close. 26 bars so there was always somewhere to get a drink. Disco was in the riviera lobby if you wanted a little night life. sports bar in the colonial lobby. The two theatres ( one in riviera and one in colonial lobby) had entertainment nightly. The 2 main pools were massive with a ton of places to lounge. 2 adult pools for something a little more quiet and relaxed and a salt water pool attatched right to the ocean. Two swim up bars in the main pools. The beach was beautiful. private beach so no one hassling you to buy stuff. palm trees, lounge chairs and hammocks all the way down the beach. There is two sets of shops that include a general store, jewlery store, internet shop, tequilaria and more. There is a massive spa there aswell. all inclusive guests have access to some of the spa. hot tubs, cold tubs, sauna, steam rooms, and jet pool are free to use. stuff like manicures and massages are extra charge. there is a athletic center with volleyball, basketball, minigolf, archery, pretty much you name it. This resort is top notch and we would never stay anywhere else along the mayan riviera.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Edmonton Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

My husband and I returned to the palladium to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We stayed in the Riviera this time.Last time we were at the Palladium was 3 years ago and we stayed in the Colonial. Both rooms were beautiful,perfectly clean ,and in perfect condition. The maids were fast and efficient,kept our fridge stocked and made us beautiful towel art. The food was very excellent this time and every night we enjoyed a la carte dining.3 years ago we were limited to 3 or 4 a la carte dinners.We were very happy to see that the Palladium has changed their policy. The buffets are spotless and the staff and cooks are on top of replenishing the dishes of which they offer a huge variety .Breakfast is incredible!There is always a chair around the pools .There are many pools to choose from some large with areas for the children ,swim up bars ,whirlpool areas and built in lounge chairs.They have adult pools for a quieter group most of us there were reading or listening to music .The waiter at these adult pool bars managed to remember what we liked to drink and brought us drinks to our chairs when he saw we needed replenishing.Thankyou both for the fabulous service .Service for food and drinks was also very good on at the beach All the grounds are beautiful with colorful and flowering bushes and are extremely well kept. The beach is also excellent with plenty of shaded areas tables and space.THIS PLACE IS NOT CROWDED! The water is great no sand whales you can go in barefoot .You can snorkel and see lots of fish.They have paddle boats and kayaks and catamerans and snorkel equiptment .The chairs are all in excellent condition. This is a big resort but you can get around it very easily they have a waterboat and a train system so you don't have to walk if your not up to it.People use this system a lot at night for the ladies in high heels! They have piano bar areas and live bands in the evening as well as a disco club.Also a games room.You name it I think they've got something for everyone day and night.In the last 5 years we have stayed at the Palladium twice and the Bahia Principe and the Sandos Caracol.The Palladium is by far the best the Bahia is not bad the Sandos is a 1 star in my books. We also stayed at the Barcelo in Punta Cana last year and it is also really good but not as good as the Palladium.I've read some of the reviews others have put on about the Palladium that thought it wasn't as good as the Iberostar Resorts. I've never been there but I did check for the price and found on I travel 2000 Iberostar to be quite a bit steeper. For the two of us only payed per week $125.00 canadian more to stay at the Palladium then the Sandos Caracol.We spent the first week of our vacation at the Palladium and second week at the Sandos.We wish we'd never left the Palladium the two resorts don't even compare.The travel agent we used put them both in a four star category.Read my review on the Playa del Carmen Sandos Caracol we were very disappointed . Thanks Again Palladium we hope to be back soon.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!