“1st Time in Mexico!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera ChetumaL-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #14 of 20 hotels in Akumal
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“1st Time in Mexico!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had so much fun on my vacation went with my family and my fiancee. We stayed from June 23-30. We had a great time. We spent a lot of time and the beach which was beautiful. The pool was very nice and if you stayed in certain spots it wasnt over crowded. I think children shouldnt be allowed to play near the swim up bar though it was kind of annoying to be spalshed with water in the face when you are trying to have a drink. I understand it's a pool but its rude. The food in the buffet wasn't as good as I would have hoped for. The restraunts however were very good our favoriates were the Mediteraian and the Mexican. We went back to both of these twice. I have read people complaining about wait times if you come early you will get in right away and if you come later slip the hostess a $5 and you will also be in right away. I was really looking forward to having some cornoa in mexico and was disappointed when they did not have it here. The only thing we really HATED! was the fact we asked if we could take a tour of some of the Royal Suites because we were thinking of returning. We were picked up at our room and given a tour of the suites which were awesome. The only problem was after the tour it turned into them trying to sell us the travel club. We did not want this at all nor did we ask for it. We wasted 3 hours of our last day. When we said we couldnt afford they kept telling us yes you can which I thought was rude we didnt even ask for this presentation in the 1st place.
Overall the trip was awesome we did a few excersions and I would recomend Xplor.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Antonio P, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Melissa D,
Thank you for your review and I hope you come back soon.

1,365 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Orland Park, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed here June 2012 and liked it except for the far distance from the airport. I always like to try different resorts each time we go but this year we came across a 10 day sale price that was too good to pass up. We just returned home on 7/4.

We booked the Colonial but they had no rooms left and upgraded us to a Jr Suite in Riviera, which was fine with us.

The Room - very clean and housekeeping was very accommodating as I was leaving them a few bucks a day. Biggest problem here was the pillows. They were seriously so hard and uncomfortable, as were the beds in general. As soon as I saw the pillow menu, I was so happy until I realized the better pillows are $3 a day. We had 4 in our room and I thought it wasn't worth the extra $120 for the length of our trip, so we sucked it up. Also, the shower was great at first but toward the end, we didn't have much hot water at all.

The Food - This year the buffets were better a lot better than last time. With exception to 2 of the 8 nights we went to the ala carte restaurants, the waiters and service was horrible. They were so unfriendly and a couple were just down right rude. It almost seemed as if they didn't like Americans, and that's too bad for them as we always tip. Not for those ones though.

The resort in general is beautiful and very clean, and you can not go hungry. However, we really noticed a decline in service this year and won't be going back, deal or no deal.

Dear Kelly C,
Thank you for your review.
I'm sorry you had a bad impression about our staff, I can tell you they do a wonderful job and we receive many good positive comments. I do apologise if any of them was not professional with you.

Anglesey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was our second stay at this resort but first time in the Riviera section. We booked through first choice and sent our request a week before asking for high floor in the White sands Section.
On reading another review we discovered that Thomson/First Choice don't have rooms allocated in the White Sands even though they advertise this.
We were very disappointed to hear this as the Riviera is a longer walk to the rest of the resort.
We then sent another request for a certain block and high floor in the Riviera section. On arrival we were given red bands as return guests and our room and block request had been granted.
The room was a junior suite which was large with a Jacuzzi bath and a separate shower area. It had a sofa, table and chairs and fridge stocked daily. We also had a sea view but the jungle is very high so don't expect too much of a view.
After 10 minutes in the room there was a knock on the door and a young man gave us a complimentary fruit basket and a welcome note from the management as return guests which was a nice touch.
I won't go into too much detail as I covered everything in my last review. All I can say, is that the food was great and the staff were friendly. We were eaten alive by mosquitos. The only place they don't seem to be is by the beach due to the breeze. The wildlife is abundant, from Iguanas, Pelicans, Coatis to Racoons.
We did have three days of rain which seemed to bring the mosquitos out, but this is not the hotels fault.
If you do decide to stay here, then as well as Trip Advisor look at www.palladiumaddicts.net for all the advice needed.
All in all, we had a great stay and would return again.
My final point is, Thomson/First Choice should not advertise White Sands & Riviera if they do not have rooms in White Sands as this is false advertising. They also need to look into the food on the plane. It was awful and supposed to be a new menu. I thought the Aldo Zilli menu was bad.
Thanks to the management and staff for making it a great holiday.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Room Tip: For the Riviera section, I recommend a third floor room for a sea view and villas 60, 61 or 62 for a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear nickc29,
It is a pleasure, we wait for your next visit.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I´m going to mention the good and bad stuff we saw in our experience travelling 2 adults with 3 small kids.

Good:
- Great pools with warm water.
- Great beach.
- POP guys were great including the night shows.
- The food in the buffet was good most of the time.
- Excellent staff working on the buffets ( but not on the restaurants), and also great guys the ones from the sports area.
- Lots and lots of activities for everyone.

Bad:
- TRANSPORTATION. Waiting time was ridiculous. Sometimes we had to wait up to 20+ minutes. You should make a schedule and stick to it, so we can plan better.
Also during the evening it was so crowded the "trains", that we literally had to fight for a spot on the transportation. Just make a line and everybody will be happy.
- A LA CARTE RESTAURANTS. You should be able to make reservations on every restaurant. Of the 7 nights we stayed, we were able to eat on the restaurants only 2 times. With waiting lists of more than one hour (and with 3 hungry kids) we had no choice but the buffet.
- PERSONNEL AT THE KIDS CLUB.... I won´t go into details, but I won´t leave my kids with them because of their attitude of some of them towards the kids.
- I´ve stayed in Riviera Maya and Cancun not less than 30 times, and it was the first time I had Orange juice from the box on breakfast (it was not fresh), and Piña Colada from a machine... bad bad bad. I hope is just a Palladium stuff and not a new tendency in Mexico...

Antonio, espero no solo contestes los reviews positivos!!

Dear Alexm320,
I think if you have read other reviews you can see that I don't answer only good or bad ones but all of them.
Regarding your review I appreciate the good comments, I will pass you review to our POP staff, they will be very happy.
In relation with the transportation I agree that sometimes when it is rainning, we have many people which requires transportation at the same time and it takes some minutes to catch the train.
Our A la carte restaurant don't require reservation. This is something that our customers requested to the Hotel many years until we changed this. We receive many good comments with this system as you receive your table when you arrive to the restaurant you choose or otherwise you receive a pager that beeps when your table is ready (you can wait in the lobby with your pager having a drink in the meanwhile)
I'm sorry if you had a bad experience in the miniclub, I can tell you that we receive many good comments about the girls working there and I can tell you that some of our Managers have their children there during the day.
Finally in our breakfast buffets we have a juice station, you can choose the fruit you would like from our buffet and they will make the juice you would like. Our orange juice in the buffet is a very good quality but it is not squeezed orange juice.
Our drinks in the bars can be prepared with the ingredients you choose and you can ask directly to any of our bar tenders.

Thank you for your time and I hope you visit us soon, it will be a pleasure to meet you in person.

Huntington, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Honeymoon vacation! We had a great time, were ready to come home by the end of the week. The things we found ourselves complaining about by the end of the week was that there was a LOT of walking since there were 4 resorts in one. The mosquitos were pretty bad some nights where there was no breeze. The internet was slow in the lobby, but it was there! And we were typically more impressed with the buffet restaurants than the specialty restaurants.

The water was beautiful, although there was one small designated swimming area where there were no rocks underfoot. The weather was perfect- humid but sunny and no rain.

One thing that surprised me was that there were way more Europeans and non-English speakers than I expected... might have just been the week, but I believe it is Spanish-owned hotel chain.

Great service, beautiful rooms and pools, good food and drinks... would recommend, keeping those few things in mind.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Monterrey, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

This was supposed to be a relaxing and fun experience, I came here with my family to attend a cousin's wedding and it was awful in the whole sense.
The hotel service from the staff is just mean, we had several complaints since the beginning. First our room wasnt ready when we arrived. We had to wait for an hour. Second it is a hotel full of mosquitos, and they bite all the time, and the worse of all the room was full of humidity, and cocroaches too. Third, food is average and glasses and dishes are smelly... Just dont come here i you want a nice holiday.

Hate to be negative but this deserves to be known so the staff starts doing something about it.

• Stayed June 2013
Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

First of all the resort itself is very nice, food was excellent. My problem is that we were traveling with a 2 year old. The Rivera is not for a family traveling with small children who get tired of walking and need a stroller!!! The villas do not have elevators and we were on the 3rd floor. Three times a day we had to carry our baby, stroller, etc... up and down 3 flights of stairs. At the Rivera in order to go eat, catch the train to other lobbies you have to climb 15 steep flights of stairs to cross a bridge and then go down under 15 or so steps. This bridge is a problem when you are traveling with a toddler who is in a stroller. So everyday we had to climb the bridge mulitple times as well as the 3 flights of stairs to get to our room. Needless to say it was a workout that on a vacation I was not to happy about. The kids club is in the Colional part of the resort so if you have kids stay over there. The girls that work at the kids club were not friendly at all and we only left her our daughter 1 time as she did not want to go back. (nothing like last year where the girls at kids club took the time to remeber our daughters name). The beach has lots of rocks and reef areas that hurt your feet. You have to wear water shoes!!!!!

Room Tip: There only a few rooms in each villa that are oceanview. Mostly all tree views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!