“Great Family Vacation!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera ChetumaL-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #14 of 20 hotels in Akumal
Hamilton, Canada
“Great Family Vacation!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Palladium Riviera Resort January 31st-Feb 7th and had a great trip. I had a smooth flight from Toronto to Mexico. I will never again take a 5pm flight as we did not arrive to the resort until 11pm. Once my wife and kids were settled in the room and sleeping I did go for a plate of Nachos and a beer with a friend that travelled with us and two raccoons who sat at the beach bar/snack hut.

The room was great. It was very spacious, travelling with a 6 year old and 1 year old I needed the space. The room was in great condition, zero flaws. The room was not musty, fridge was cold and the water was hot. The pull out couch was hard but my little girl found it quite comfy. I slept well in the room. Not sure what all of the complaints are about the matresses and pillows, get over it!!!

The pools were fun for the little time we did spend. There was a pool bar, lots of activities that the staff put together. They did a good job getting people involved. The water in the pool was freezing, but then again I dont like cold water. My 6 year old went swimming in the pool with little difficulty. Im a beach guy anyways, so it didnt bother me.

The ocean was very nice. Some parts were the blue clear water, other parts the water was a darker blue. The water temperature was quite comfortable. I enjoyed the snokelling, we saw a few different fish. I had a great time making sand castles with my kids, playing catch with the football and having my picture taken with my family with the animals. The people taking the pictures were great. Beach volleyball was available and peope appeared to be enjoying the experience. A lot of seaweed did wash up throughout the day, at times it was slightly annoying as it felt nasty on my feet. I did play the towel game and always reserved my palapa at about 7am. I would stay at the beach and enjoy the scenery, read my book and chillax until everyone was ready for breakfast.

The food was good overall. We ate breakfast lunch and dinner at the buffet most days. Once we ate ala cate at the Asian restaurant and twice at Ribs and More. Great steaks at Ribs and More. Good selection in the buffets overall. there were diffeent theme nights which gave the food a different flavour. Service was a little slow and there always seemed to be a shortage of high chairs, but who cares im a way on vacation.

So yes there is a lot of walking at the resort, they also have these annoying bridges you have to go over, very annoying holding a stroller while doing this, but I guess it was a good workout. I can see how some people would find the walking a little much. The bus stop service was also slow, but then again everything is slow, we are on mexican time!!!

Go there and have a terrific vacation, my family and i certainly did!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Antonio P, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear gtown15,
Thank you for your comments. It is good to see that you had a great vacation with your family in our Resort.
Regarding the pillows and the matresses this is something that as everything read previous reviews, now everyone gives their opinion.
We have new pillows in our rooms and in case anyone doesn't feel confortable with them we can change them for new ones or bring more. Our pillow menu is only in case someone would like an specific pillow. I'm afraid that some people is misunderstanding this.
Again, I appreciate your comments and please come back soon.

1,390 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Snowshoe, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Once again we spent 11 days at the Royal with the same excellent results. We meet new friends that return each year at the same time from different parts of the world. Each morning (you have to be morning people to do this) we meet at the Punta Amelia bar to greet the sunrise with cappachino and champagne. This resort never fails to amaze us with its cleanliness, attention of the staff and its dedication to the environment. The food at the El Jardin restaurant was nothing short of spectacular with your choice of steak and lobster every night to an international theme every night. we done the "segway" ride this time, only $35.00 for about an hour and a half, these things are a real hoot to ride and very easy to learn. We celebrated a wedding anniversary and the management decorated our room with flowers champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, fruit basket and at least a million rose petals, the Jacuzzi was filled and covered with bubbles, rose petals and 49 floating candles, I thought the place was on fire when we came in the room. also the spa is great with its sauna, steam room, several different Jacuzzi and lazy river, Massages are available at extra cost.
I really like this place but with every thing there has to be a little problem and with the Palladium its the so called travel club that takes precedence over everything else. The staff tells you it definitely is not a "time share" but call it what you will its still a time share.....We are already counting the days til we can return next year.....If any one has a question please feel free to contact me and I will tell you all I can including the good, the bad and the ugly...

Room Tip: Third floor is now best as vegetation has grown and slightly obstructs view
Dear delbert,
Thank you for chosing our Royal Suites. It is nice to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We will be waiting for your visit next year.

cape cod
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Just a little background to start with, First if I could of given the resort a 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 stars it would of been more acurate. Second I am giving them this rating based upon the price we paid and that this is a mid-range resort, not luxury. When I compare this resort I do so after staying in Iberostar, Sandos, Real Resorts (Grand Caribe and Royal), Princess, Barcelo
Palace, Paradisus and many more as well as mid-range and luxury hotels in the United States and Europe. So I had no expectation service wouldbe the same as a Hyatt Regency or Four Seasons.

Originally we were booked into the Grand Palladium White Sands but to accomodate our room request they moved us to the Riviera but completed the booking process at the White Sands and gave us exactly what we asked for: a connecting Suite and Junior suite 3rd floor with ocen view, please note that in any resort room requests can be hit or miss, this is our 4th time at the Grand Palladium White Sand/Riviera, 2 of these times they have been able to fill our request a third time we had to negotiate to make changes after we arrived. the front desk staff was nice and friendly, but we did not catch them at the end of the shift. could they be better, yes, but in this price range much more than competent. Note this is one the few resorts we have returned to, sometimes we also rent condos or houses.

This is a large resort with a lot of walking, they do have shuttles from the different lobbies and to the rooms, the latter did not exist when we first stayed at this resort, they do honestly try to make improvements on a on-going basis. There are also bridges with stairs from most of the rooms to the pool and the restaurants. If you are travelling with small children(strollers), have physical impairments, do not like walking or prefer high rise resorts, this miight not be the place for you. Also if you are looking for an Americanized resort, you might want to think twice, since the Palladium tries to accommodate the needs of many nationalities and seems to do it better than most. With that being said, the resort is located in a natural setting surounded by mangroves and with very good to excellent landscaping by the staff.

The rooms at the resort are mid-range and comfortable, they could use some modest ungrading,
but nothing that would deter us from staying here again. The beds are more comfortable than average for a mid-range resort, but they are shorter than a normal bed. the sheets and comforter again are little better than average (do not expect 1200 count cotton satin), but the pillows are quite hard and could used to be replaced, there is a for-fee pillow menu. The rooms are pleasantly decorated with fairly good materials and do have a Jacuzzi in the bathroom that is slow to fill but works well, water pressure is good and the availablity of hot water is consistant. The lighting in the bathrooms is a little overpowering (not romantic), but is was easier to shave and for my wife to apply makeup than most resorts. The floors and most of the bathroom are marble not luxury but very tastefully done. Please note there are no Elevators at this hotel and except for the Laguna Suites, all other buildings have three floors.

The food quality is better than average and food handling and hygene is among the best I have seen at any all inclusive and at no time did I see anyone getting sick from the food, keeping in mind that change of climate, different spices and excessive drinking might have an effect on this.
The buffets were very good with a good variety, among the best I have seen at any resort, the exception to this is; any deserts that use a mousse base that was quite mediocre and somewhat rubbery, the rest were fairly good, after a week it can get a little redundant but still better than most resorts. Breakfast and dinner tend to be the best meals at the buffets, Lunch tends to be limited, but there are fresh grilling stations for Fish, Chicken, Steak, and Veal a Carving station for the roast of the day and a better than average salad bar, about 12 hot dishes and the normal burgers, hotdogs Pasta and pizza. Keep in mind they are trying to cater to the palate of over 20 different nationalities.

The a la carte restaurants vary in quality from fair to very good (if I want great, I go to one of the better restaurants in Playa del Carmen), rarely do restaurants in any all in inclusive rise to greatness (Yes, I am guilty of being a Foodie). The Brazilian Rodizio was good with most of the meat being tender, there were one or two items that were a little overcooked out of 9 that we sampled. The Mediterranean was very good almost excellent on some dishes, the Lamb Chops were actually Rack of Lamb (not from New Zealand) that was very nicely spiced and my daughters Sirloin was actually Filet Mignon, non exact menu descriptions is very normal at all inclusives due to language differences (other resorts have jam on the menu, actually Ham). The mushroom soup was good, but they were trying to do a bisque and they would have acheived it by removing a spice that did not work, adding fresh cut red pepper and more cream (whoops).The Italian was very good, with a very good appertizer bar (note: in Mexico and most countries with a Romance based Language "Entree" is usually the first course or appetizer). The main course's were better than one would expect at an all inclusive and except for the Pasta most dishs tended to be Northern Italian. I had a stuffed Chicken with a Wine reduction sauce that was not fried and much better than one would expect. By the way the house wine is better than average for most all-inclusives (much better than the out of the spigot wine at Barcello'sand Viva Wyndham) and they have one of the best wine lists that I have seen at a midrange resort

The entertainment is much better than it was 4 years ago at the theatre, this is not a Broadway production and they are not working with a live band (Iberostar and Barcelo do) but for this price sector of resort, better than average. They have live music in the lobbies that range from fair to very good depending on the Band or Entertainer, over the course of the evening most nights you have 4 different ones to choose from at the different lobbies. The alcohol quality at the bars is average for an all inclusive with some top shelf but not as good a variety as more expensive resorts, so do not expect Grey Goose or Remy Martin and like most resorts they serve what is known in the industry as hotel brand alcohol including name brands, that have a lower proof than you would find at you local neighborhood tavern. the espresso's tend to be better than average for a resort and if you get someone that knows how to make them properly, better than Starbucks.

The beach here is a little rocky to get into the water, with areas that are relatively rock free in front of the Colonial. But just off shore there is a live reef that it is enjoyable to snorkel, a totally sandy beach would not have this. There is a salt water pool that tends to be quiet and the main pool is a lake size pool that is much larger than average and much cleaner with plenty of Palapas for shade, the Palapas on the beach usually fill up early, yes they do play the towel game here. The staff on the most part is hard working and very good to excellent, depending on the individual server and if you show up at crunch time, but they are better organized and better managed than most resorts. The bartenders tended to be very good with the head bartender Daniel at the Riviera being Excellent, he mixes very good drinks, is fast very good natured and handles almost every situation with a smile and effortlessly, he might be the best all around bartender that I have encountered at any resort and this is usually the strong point of these resorts, Jose was very good as well with a little more maturity he could be excellent, some of the other bartenders acted a little foolish falling all over themselves to serve my daughter (very pretty, petit and 20 years old), maybe I am just a little more aware because she is my daugter.

The common areas and landscaping are quite beautifull and very well maintained, the beach is too, even if it is a little rocky when you walk in at some points. Even though we tend not to go back to the same resort again, I would return here without any reservation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear opusCapecod,
Thank you for your review. I am happy to know that you loved the resort. I hope you visit us next year.

Sterling Heights, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

First of all, I never stay two times int he same All Inclusive resort...but last year was here and loved it so much that we returned this year. Overall, I still love this resort and would come again. Here are a few comments:

1. Check in- This year, we had a woman named Rossanna check us in on Saturday Feb 23. It was probably near the end of her shift, but she was very slow and NOT friendly at all. She clearly needs more customer service training- and had this been my first expereince here- I would have been turned off with the resort. First imprssions mean alot. We asked for 4 rooms near each other when we booked the hotel, and the hotel was very accomodating.

2. Restaurants-Last year, we never made it to the Ribs and More restaurant- LOVED it this year. Roberto was an excelelnt waiter on Monday Feb 25. He was very accomodating and made sure we enjjoyed our dinner, The food was suburb. Part of our group went to Bamboo ( for Chinese) that night- and also loved the food. Last year, we alos didn't go the Mexican because we were told that it wasn't that great. I really enjoyed my Shirmp and my wife loved her chicken burrito. It was one of the best I've tasted. Everyone liked this restaurant. We also went back to the Brazilian and Japanese. The Japanese showw was just ok... last year it was great. I think it was the chef that we had! The brazilian this year fwas ok... some of the meat was not so tender. We also ate the Italian and Meditranean and enjoyed them both alot! We had a much better expereince with the Seafood restaurant- last year alot of racooons wanted to join us for the outdoor dinner... which freaked out my children. This year- saw only ONE racoon, which disappeared after a few minutes. Food was very nice. The buffet at breakfast or lunch was very nice, or you could get a limited number of freshly cooked foods at the beach restaurant. Overall: Food was good to very good

3. Bars- Great bar service... although the Margarita's varied from FANTASTIC to not drinkable... most of the other drinks were very nice! Antonio in White Sands was a great bartender... and made a FANTASTIC margarita. Pool bar was very nice and clean.

4. Rooms-All the rooms very very clean,lovely as we remembered them.

5. Nightlife- Great shows both Humanity ( a show thru history). I was very impressed with the Passion of Christ scene where the show is done on ropes and red material- and looks like the passion but artistically done. Also enjoyed the Pirate show. The Rock show as too loud... just not my style.

6. Beach/pool- was nice with both areas for snorkeling and other areas for swimming at the beach. VERY NICE area. The Pool was again fantastic, although difficult when you have an infant or toddler, as there are bridges to cross. Stay at Colonial/Kantenah if you don't have family to help.

Overall, I'd again go back here! It is really a great resort- the nicest I've ever been too! Would consder going back or trying one of the sister resorts in Punta Cana or Puerto Vallerta.

Room Tip: Buildings 60-62 are in the best locations for Riviera
Dear Chuck42_43,
Thank you for your review and it will be fantastic if you come back next year. I also believe that you will love our Resort in Dominican Republic or the one in Jamaica.

Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Each year we stay at the far south end of this resort in the Adults only Royal Suites in a Cabana over a man made stream. Across the stream is the Jungle. 24 hour a day room service is included in this all inclusive resort. That room service also includes wine and champagne. You have access to all parts of this resort including the Kantenah, Colonial, White Sands and Rivera areas, Dozens of bars and restaurants are located throughout the facility. Aurora is the Royal manager and she knows how to make you feel welcome.

Dear Steve R,
Thank you for your review and I hope you visit our Royal Suites section next year.

Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My sister (50+), daughter (18) and I (50ish) spent a great week here at this resort mid February. Many previous reviewers have summed up the essence of this resort and interestingly enough the negatives for some, are positives for others. Success of a holiday depends on many variables with the resort being only one of them. Having said that, our positive time at the Palladium was in a big way due to the resort.

We originally were to stay at the Kantenah but were upgraded/moved to the junior suites at the Riviera (rooms 6229/6225). We didn't see the other rooms so have no comparisons but ours were certainly adequate and spacious. The views from our rooms were beautiful - overlooking the jungle and the ocean. It was a great location for what we wanted to do - a minute walk to the saltwater pool and beach, a 5 minute walk to the pool and a bit further to the restuarants. The walks were always enjoyable - lots of beautiful gardens and wildlife to view en route (the iguanas were especially entertaining!). There was some wear and tear in the rooms but nothing to inconvenience us. The one comment that I would make is that in our room the beds were small doubles and, if you were to have four in a room, two large adults/teens in one bed would be "cosy". There was a pull out couch in the suite. My sister had a king sized bed which was huge. She felt that her bed covers had seen better days.

The complex is large as others have mentioned, however the Riviera/White Sands share a pool/restaurant/entertainment area which is mirrored in the Kantenah/Colonial complex so you could easily choose to stay in your hotel area and be content. Families with strollers or people with disabilities might find it a bit of a challenge to negotiate some areas of the complex ie must climb stairs/bridges to access the pool areas, no elevators in villas. This was not an issue for us but something to consider. In all areas, you could tell that cleanliness was a high priority and the staff worked hard to maintain that standard. We tried out the various restaurants at both locations and enjoyed the entertainment at both sites as well. We decided that, with the exception of the breakfast buffet which we would rate 4/5, the rest of the restaurants/buffets we'd rate 3/5 but again, nothing that we saw as a big negative - just not exceptional.

The People of Palladium (POP) is what made this experience a plus for us. Staff - across the board - were pleasant, smiling and welcoming. For those that did not speak English, a few Spanish words went far in communicating. The daytime animation staff were always busy recruiting people for activities but not to the point of being annoying. Some of them would just sit and visit if you were interested. The evening stage entertainment was better than some other cruises/AIs we've stayed at and there was always live entertainment in the lobbies if this was not to your taste.

Canadians, like ourselves, were well-represented but we also enjoyed the many vacationers from other countries. We spent most of our time in the pool area relaxing so did not experience much of what the resort and greater area had to offer. This was our choice. But there was plenty to do and I don't think that as an adult, child or teen you would risk being bored at this resort. Maybe I will be lucky enough to experience a "next time" at this resort, and maybe then I'll explore some of the areas I didn't get to see with this visit.

Dear 4Ontheroadagain,
Thank you for your good comments. I will pass a copy of your review to the Manager of our POP team. They will be happy to read it.

Please visit us soon.

vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I just came back from a one week stay at Grand Palladium. As a travel agent when you stay in a hotel you pay attention to lots of details.
This was my 4th time in Mexico.I had a great experience and wanted to share that with you.

Property:

Grand Palladium is a huge property that has 2 phases.
Phase one which is Grand Palladium Colonial and Kantenah.
Phase two which is Grand palladium white sand and Riviera.
If you want to stay somewhere quiet ,Royal suits are available for you.
All inclusive , private and quiet that has restaurants just for guests staying in Royal suits.
Other guests wont have access to this side ,but you will have access to the whole property.
Butler service is available at Royal suits.

They built phase two a few years ago and it's the newer side of the whole complex . They have shuttles running within the phases and 2 cute trains that go around the whole property.
There are tons to do around the resort. Lots of activities during the day for adults and kids.
Entertainment at night with variety of shows and games.

Now you might think because it's so big it might be hard to get good service or may not be well maintained, but they're so on top of it.
I'm a clean freak and this hotel is absolutely spotless. They're constantly cleaning the floors, pools, Rooms etc...
Rooms are very spacious and have Jacuzzi inside . After a long day in the sun you can enjoy a glass of wine in your own jacuzzi . Life doesn't get better than that. Does it?

Food:
Food was AMAZING.
You can get traditional mexican breakfast . There is always someone that will make you omelette or eggs however you want it.
They make fresh juice ,pastries...
variety of cold cuts are available, salad, fresh fruits, and yogurt...

For lunch you can either go to the buffet or have lunch right at the beach.
For dinner you have these restaurants:
Kabah
Ribs
Rodizio
Laguna
P.emilia
Bamboo
P.fino

Great food and nice presentation. you will never be hungry here

Beach:
Beach is beautiful and very well maintained. Turquoise blue water and sugar sandy beach ( just to die for)
Some parts are so rocky and I didn't notice the signs first when I went in ,but later on that day I saw the signs every where . There is a long stretch of beach available to you and if you can avoid the rocky spot you'll enjoy the Caribbean water.

Staff:
Staff always try their best to make your day better. They remember your name, your favourite drink and make you feel at home.
I talked to a few clients to see how their experience was. One couple who stayed for 5 weeks in the Riviera were saying they had the best service they could ask for.
The gentleman I talked to had difficulties walking and other health issues. Staff were so accommodating and made their stay very comfortable for them.

I had the chance to visit the kitchens and talked to the head chef and food and beverage manager.
The first thing you smell when you walk in to the back door is bleach. I was so impressed with how clean they kept the kitchen area.
They showed me all the steps from where they receive all the meat and vegetables ,cooking process and even the ice carving for table decoration.

One thing that was really impressive was how sticked they are about recycling.
Everything gets recycled here and I was very happy about that.

I will recommend this resort to all my clients and will go back for sure.
If you have any questions send me an e-mail and i'll be happy to help you out.
Happy Travelling

Dear Sarah80_s,
Thank you for coming to the Resort and I hope you visit us again very soon.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Been to Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!