“Great fun in the sun” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa

You added Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera ChetumaL-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Sterling Heights, Michigan
“Great fun in the sun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

First of all, I never stay two times int he same All Inclusive resort...but last year was here and loved it so much that we returned this year. Overall, I still love this resort and would come again. Here are a few comments:

1. Check in- This year, we had a woman named Rossanna check us in on Saturday Feb 23. It was probably near the end of her shift, but she was very slow and NOT friendly at all. She clearly needs more customer service training- and had this been my first expereince here- I would have been turned off with the resort. First imprssions mean alot. We asked for 4 rooms near each other when we booked the hotel, and the hotel was very accomodating.

2. Restaurants-Last year, we never made it to the Ribs and More restaurant- LOVED it this year. Roberto was an excelelnt waiter on Monday Feb 25. He was very accomodating and made sure we enjjoyed our dinner, The food was suburb. Part of our group went to Bamboo ( for Chinese) that night- and also loved the food. Last year, we alos didn't go the Mexican because we were told that it wasn't that great. I really enjoyed my Shirmp and my wife loved her chicken burrito. It was one of the best I've tasted. Everyone liked this restaurant. We also went back to the Brazilian and Japanese. The Japanese showw was just ok... last year it was great. I think it was the chef that we had! The brazilian this year fwas ok... some of the meat was not so tender. We also ate the Italian and Meditranean and enjoyed them both alot! We had a much better expereince with the Seafood restaurant- last year alot of racooons wanted to join us for the outdoor dinner... which freaked out my children. This year- saw only ONE racoon, which disappeared after a few minutes. Food was very nice. The buffet at breakfast or lunch was very nice, or you could get a limited number of freshly cooked foods at the beach restaurant. Overall: Food was good to very good

3. Bars- Great bar service... although the Margarita's varied from FANTASTIC to not drinkable... most of the other drinks were very nice! Antonio in White Sands was a great bartender... and made a FANTASTIC margarita. Pool bar was very nice and clean.

4. Rooms-All the rooms very very clean,lovely as we remembered them.

5. Nightlife- Great shows both Humanity ( a show thru history). I was very impressed with the Passion of Christ scene where the show is done on ropes and red material- and looks like the passion but artistically done. Also enjoyed the Pirate show. The Rock show as too loud... just not my style.

6. Beach/pool- was nice with both areas for snorkeling and other areas for swimming at the beach. VERY NICE area. The Pool was again fantastic, although difficult when you have an infant or toddler, as there are bridges to cross. Stay at Colonial/Kantenah if you don't have family to help.

Overall, I'd again go back here! It is really a great resort- the nicest I've ever been too! Would consder going back or trying one of the sister resorts in Punta Cana or Puerto Vallerta.

Room Tip: Buildings 60-62 are in the best locations for Riviera
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Antonio P, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Chuck42_43,
Thank you for your review and it will be fantastic if you come back next year. I also believe that you will love our Resort in Dominican Republic or the one in Jamaica.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Each year we stay at the far south end of this resort in the Adults only Royal Suites in a Cabana over a man made stream. Across the stream is the Jungle. 24 hour a day room service is included in this all inclusive resort. That room service also includes wine and champagne. You have access to all parts of this resort including the Kantenah, Colonial, White Sands and Rivera areas, Dozens of bars and restaurants are located throughout the facility. Aurora is the Royal manager and she knows how to make you feel welcome.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Steve R,
Thank you for your review and I hope you visit our Royal Suites section next year.

Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My sister (50+), daughter (18) and I (50ish) spent a great week here at this resort mid February. Many previous reviewers have summed up the essence of this resort and interestingly enough the negatives for some, are positives for others. Success of a holiday depends on many variables with the resort being only one of them. Having said that, our positive time at the Palladium was in a big way due to the resort.

We originally were to stay at the Kantenah but were upgraded/moved to the junior suites at the Riviera (rooms 6229/6225). We didn't see the other rooms so have no comparisons but ours were certainly adequate and spacious. The views from our rooms were beautiful - overlooking the jungle and the ocean. It was a great location for what we wanted to do - a minute walk to the saltwater pool and beach, a 5 minute walk to the pool and a bit further to the restuarants. The walks were always enjoyable - lots of beautiful gardens and wildlife to view en route (the iguanas were especially entertaining!). There was some wear and tear in the rooms but nothing to inconvenience us. The one comment that I would make is that in our room the beds were small doubles and, if you were to have four in a room, two large adults/teens in one bed would be "cosy". There was a pull out couch in the suite. My sister had a king sized bed which was huge. She felt that her bed covers had seen better days.

The complex is large as others have mentioned, however the Riviera/White Sands share a pool/restaurant/entertainment area which is mirrored in the Kantenah/Colonial complex so you could easily choose to stay in your hotel area and be content. Families with strollers or people with disabilities might find it a bit of a challenge to negotiate some areas of the complex ie must climb stairs/bridges to access the pool areas, no elevators in villas. This was not an issue for us but something to consider. In all areas, you could tell that cleanliness was a high priority and the staff worked hard to maintain that standard. We tried out the various restaurants at both locations and enjoyed the entertainment at both sites as well. We decided that, with the exception of the breakfast buffet which we would rate 4/5, the rest of the restaurants/buffets we'd rate 3/5 but again, nothing that we saw as a big negative - just not exceptional.

The People of Palladium (POP) is what made this experience a plus for us. Staff - across the board - were pleasant, smiling and welcoming. For those that did not speak English, a few Spanish words went far in communicating. The daytime animation staff were always busy recruiting people for activities but not to the point of being annoying. Some of them would just sit and visit if you were interested. The evening stage entertainment was better than some other cruises/AIs we've stayed at and there was always live entertainment in the lobbies if this was not to your taste.

Canadians, like ourselves, were well-represented but we also enjoyed the many vacationers from other countries. We spent most of our time in the pool area relaxing so did not experience much of what the resort and greater area had to offer. This was our choice. But there was plenty to do and I don't think that as an adult, child or teen you would risk being bored at this resort. Maybe I will be lucky enough to experience a "next time" at this resort, and maybe then I'll explore some of the areas I didn't get to see with this visit.

Dear 4Ontheroadagain,
Thank you for your good comments. I will pass a copy of your review to the Manager of our POP team. They will be happy to read it.

Please visit us soon.

vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I just came back from a one week stay at Grand Palladium. As a travel agent when you stay in a hotel you pay attention to lots of details.
This was my 4th time in Mexico.I had a great experience and wanted to share that with you.

Property:

Grand Palladium is a huge property that has 2 phases.
Phase one which is Grand Palladium Colonial and Kantenah.
Phase two which is Grand palladium white sand and Riviera.
If you want to stay somewhere quiet ,Royal suits are available for you.
All inclusive , private and quiet that has restaurants just for guests staying in Royal suits.
Other guests wont have access to this side ,but you will have access to the whole property.
Butler service is available at Royal suits.

They built phase two a few years ago and it's the newer side of the whole complex . They have shuttles running within the phases and 2 cute trains that go around the whole property.
There are tons to do around the resort. Lots of activities during the day for adults and kids.
Entertainment at night with variety of shows and games.

Now you might think because it's so big it might be hard to get good service or may not be well maintained, but they're so on top of it.
I'm a clean freak and this hotel is absolutely spotless. They're constantly cleaning the floors, pools, Rooms etc...
Rooms are very spacious and have Jacuzzi inside . After a long day in the sun you can enjoy a glass of wine in your own jacuzzi . Life doesn't get better than that. Does it?

Food:
Food was AMAZING.
You can get traditional mexican breakfast . There is always someone that will make you omelette or eggs however you want it.
They make fresh juice ,pastries...
variety of cold cuts are available, salad, fresh fruits, and yogurt...

For lunch you can either go to the buffet or have lunch right at the beach.
For dinner you have these restaurants:
Kabah
Ribs
Rodizio
Laguna
P.emilia
Bamboo
P.fino

Great food and nice presentation. you will never be hungry here

Beach:
Beach is beautiful and very well maintained. Turquoise blue water and sugar sandy beach ( just to die for)
Some parts are so rocky and I didn't notice the signs first when I went in ,but later on that day I saw the signs every where . There is a long stretch of beach available to you and if you can avoid the rocky spot you'll enjoy the Caribbean water.

Staff:
Staff always try their best to make your day better. They remember your name, your favourite drink and make you feel at home.
I talked to a few clients to see how their experience was. One couple who stayed for 5 weeks in the Riviera were saying they had the best service they could ask for.
The gentleman I talked to had difficulties walking and other health issues. Staff were so accommodating and made their stay very comfortable for them.

I had the chance to visit the kitchens and talked to the head chef and food and beverage manager.
The first thing you smell when you walk in to the back door is bleach. I was so impressed with how clean they kept the kitchen area.
They showed me all the steps from where they receive all the meat and vegetables ,cooking process and even the ice carving for table decoration.

One thing that was really impressive was how sticked they are about recycling.
Everything gets recycled here and I was very happy about that.

I will recommend this resort to all my clients and will go back for sure.
If you have any questions send me an e-mail and i'll be happy to help you out.
Happy Travelling

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sarah80_s,
Thank you for coming to the Resort and I hope you visit us again very soon.

Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Just returned from a week's stay at the Palladium. We stayed in the Riviera section and were part of a group of 20 from the Arthur Murray Ottawa Dance Centre. Yes... that was us tearing up the floor in the various lobbies every evening from the 19th to the 26th of February.

My wife and I have travelled fairly extensively in the Caribbean over the past 10 years or so. Recently we tend to stay at high-end, adult only resorts, but we have tried Excellence Resorts, Sandals, Breezes, Club Med, and two in Cuba, the names of which have faded into obscurity. We have also cruised a couple of times. All to say this isn't our first kick at the can for a spring sun vacation.

We flew WestJet out of Ottawa direct to Cancun. Thankfully, the arrivals lounge was not extremely busy and we managed to make it out to our ground transportation in about an hour – no red light either... bonus. Travelling with a group made the transportation to the resort much easier as we did not have to suffer a mini van nor multiple stops at resorts along the way. Our driver/tour guide team were also entrepreneurs in that they had Corona on ice to whet one's thirst – also a bonus.

After an hour and a half, we arrived at Grand Palladium. Check in was painless. Rooms were not ready yet so we set out to eat and explore a bit. Exploration was limited to indoors as we arrived in the middle of a tropical downpour – the last rain we saw during our stay.

Our group had a room in the spa area, near the gym, reserved each morning for dance lessons. Our three instructors took turns each day with lessons so neither of them were overworked. The resort has live music playing in the two lobbies each night. One lobby has something starting around 7:30 or 8pm and the other with music starting around 10pm. The disco fires up at 11 or so. To be honest, my wife and I didn't make it to the disco as the lobby bands provided more than enough music for us. The later one didn't stop playing until 1am. As we were there to dance, we took full advantage of this.

We didn't get a chance to try out any of the water sports during our stay. The onshore wind was quite strong all week and red flags were the norm. I did wander over to have a look at the equipment and noted that most was showing it's age. The paddle boats showed signs of abuse with holes in the hulls and missing rudders. The Hobi Waves had frayed rigging, or no rigging at all, bashed hulls and faded tramps. I didn't see any of the snorkeling gear nor any of the sails.

The whole resort is definitely beautiful. Lots of plants and trees in very good health. The roadways and paths were all in good repair. It is a very large resort and anyone with mobility issues would be advised to bring their scooters. The resort offers shuttle service but at busy times (mealtimes, before and after the shows, etc) the service is slow for obvious reasons. We did notice several breakdowns of the shuttle vehicles, either due to rundown batteries for the electric carts or other mechanical issues for the gas-powered ones. Might be time for an upgrade on this equipment.

You can't go too far without tripping over a bar. Drinks service was very good in our experience. All the bar staff worked hard to ensure no guest was without a drink. Although all of the bars had name brand liquor on display, you need to ask for it by name if you want it in your drink. Otherwise, the bar schlock will be used. We spent most of our week at the Los Rocas bar near the salt water pool. Quite beautiful. Alejandro took very good care of us and put on a good show to boot. If you are one to plant yourself on a chair and want to be waited on... this resort is not for you. There was no chair service that I noted... maybe in the Royal Suites pool and beach areas, but not in the main sections.

The food was.... ok. There was nothing special about service in the restaurants nor with the quality or taste of the food. We ate in the buffet restaurant for breakfast. Food was plentiful, with stations for eggs, crepes, smoothies, pastries, fruit, etc. We found that if you wanted something specific that you saw there yesterday, it may not be there today. For instance, my wife loves smoked salmon. On day two we searched high and low for it and were disappointed that we didn't find any, only to see a pile on a guest's plate on our way out.

For lunch, we usually went to Punta Emillia on the beach but we did try the Laguna buffet one day. Again, nothing special. You won't be wowed nor will you be disappointed. We did find that service was very slow at Punta Emillia so plan on taking an hour or so away from your spot on the beach.

We tried the dinner buffet only one night. For the rest we ate at El Dorado (meh...), Ribs and More (yawn), Sumptuori (good show, mediocre food), Portofino (the salad bar was the best in this place), and Rodizio (the best of the bunch that we tried). We also ate at the Beach BBQ.... this was by far the worst meal we had. For a reservation only event where staff should know how many people are going to attend, the food lines were constantly running out of food.

You're probably thinking that we had a horrible time, but we didn't. The weather was glorious, the water warm, the music beautiful. We danced the nights away and lazed in the sun – what more could you ask for? For this trip, with this group, this resort filled the bill. We have not been to another with as much opportunity to dance. And by dance, I don't mean the thump, thump, thump of club mixed DJ music. The live bands definitely made this trip worthwhile for us.

When I read reviews of resorts, I always look to see if the author has made a statement on whether s/he would return. This resort has made that question difficult for me to answer. On the one hand, the resort did not cut it in terms of food or freshness of the facilities. As noted above, the food was just ok. The rooms in the Riviera section are showing their age and are in need of refurb which I understand from other reviewers is ongoing. The state that the water sport equipment is in definitely needs to be looked at by the resort. From what I noted, some of it is probably unsafe.

On the other hand, the grounds are beautiful, the staff is anxious to please, and the entertainment is great. The other facilities on the property are in great shape – the spa area in particular. With this group, we would return..... on our own? Probably not.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Camperguy,

Thank you for your detailed review, I hope you give us a second opportunity in the future, I'm sure you will enjoy your stay and will have the opportunity the rest of our services that you didn't enjoy during this first time.
I also would recommend you to try our Royal Suites section.

Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Our family of four recently returned from a wonderful mid-February vacation at the GP Riviera. The resort was a long drive from the airport, but well worth the drive. It is a well-run property that thinks a great deal about guest satisfaction.

Grounds: The grounds are vast and well cared for. Lots of walking here, but for me that’s a plus. Plenty of animals and lovely landscaping. The jungle walks were fun too. We only took the trams a few times and the kids really enjoyed it, though we felt the resort as a whole was manageable by foot.

Rooms: Rooms are large and clean, though starting to show their age. Our room had a large jacuzzi, walk-in shower, two double beds and a pull out sofa. The bed was uncomfortable due to the quality of the bedding, though not as hard as other beds we’ve had in Mexico. We had a stunning jungle and ocean view. The room also had a ceiling fan and a screen door, both which are not usually found in the AI’s I’ve visited in the past. Opening the door to hear the ocean every morning was such a treat. The room was cleaned and fridge was replenished without issue daily. The kids loved the daily towel art.

Food: You will not go hungry here (and this is where the walking comes in handy!). The breakfast buffet has so much variety for all of its guests. Some of our favorites: the chilaquiles, churros (with chocolate!), donuts, fresh omelets, and fresh squeezed juices and smoothies (the celery, parsley and orange blend is surprisingly tasty). There are three options for lunch: at the poolside buffet, the beach restaurant Punta Emilia (where you order off a menu), or the large buffet. We tried them all and liked the poolside buffet best--no waiting, plenty of variety and easy to head back to the pool after lunch. Some of our favorites from the lunch buffet: daily paella, the gazpacho bar, and fresh-cooked meats. The kids (of course) loved the pizza, chicken nuggets, etc. There are many options for dinner: the buffet, the a la cartes in which you are sat in a first come, first serve basis, a beach restaurant and show cooking table (that you need to reserve ahead of time at guest services in the colonial lobby), and a weekly beach BBQ (also needs reservations). We dined at the buffet only once on the Mexican night and found great variety. We especially loved the tamales, homemade tacos, crepes and soft-serve ice cream bar. The a la cartes were great--of the eight, we tried all but the steakhouse. We liked them all and the dessert cart after dinner was fun. I especially liked the shrimp dishes at the Chinese and Japanese restaurants. My son loved the Brazilian restaurant. All the a la cartes had the same kids menu for the little ones. We are early eaters, so never had to wait for a table. We didn’t try any of the dinner options that needed reservations--too lazy to hightail it to the Colonial lobby in the morning. Overall, the alcohol wasn’t top shelf but still mostly tasty and refreshing. I miss my morning mojito already!

Beach/Pool: Gorgeous, expansive beach. Never had a problem finding chairs, even though the resort was at capacity. Areas of snorkeling/swimming are clearly marked. Water shoes are good, even for the swimming area. It’s easy to find a good entry point but hard to find a non-rocky exit after you’ve been swimming. The salt water pool is unbelievably beautiful; great for snorkeling or swimming (water shoes a must here). Fun exploring to be done in the tide pools and a beach bar to boot! In the whole complex, there are two large pools with sun beds, zero entry areas, jacuzzi areas, swim up bar and staff activities throughout the day (dance lessons, yoga, contests, etc.). We didn’t get a chance to try the hidden pool on the Colonial/Kantenah side. We found that the pool water was too cold to fully enjoy only once on a particularly chilly and windy day. This was also the only day that we had to scramble to find chairs by the pool--too windy for anyone to enjoy the beach so the pool was particularly crowded that day.

Staff: Staff was friendly and hardworking. We tipped well--the staff works hard. We only had positive experiences from the reservation requests, check-in, cleaning, food and drink service.

Although I read that the Colonial side is “the place to be”, we preferred the Riveria side--it’s a little quieter (except the night of the White Party at the salt water pool), less congested and we loved the lagoon and boat ride that circled the property as well. The internet in all the lobbies was a huge bonus--nice to stay connected to home when needed. The sport’s center was a nice diversion too. The mini golf course was really tricky, so frustrating for the kids but they still asked to play again. To wrap up, we would stay here again in a heart beat--we still have more exploring to do here! Enjoy...

Room Tip: If you don't mind the stairs, the top floor rooms offer jungle (and sometimes ocean) views.
Dear la-la-limon,
I read that you didn't have enough time to see all the resort so you know what you have to do... you have to come back hehe...
Thank you for your review and we wait for your next visit.

WPG
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We travelled over the New Year's Eve week as a family of four. Only people off our flight staying here, which made for a quick and efficient check-in where we got all the information we needed for our stay. After the INSANE line ups flying into Cancun on a Saturday in high season and the 75 minute transfer, this was much appreciated. We were too early to obtain our room keys, but the bellman kept our bags while we headed to the buffet to enjoy lunch. We returned to the front desk 30 minutes later and, as promised, our room was ready. Considering it was still well before the posted check-in time we were thankful for this.

When we arrived at our room a few essentials were missing (linens for the sofa bed, for example) and the mini-fridge was warm and leaking water on the floor (no, it was not unplugged). We called the front desk and before we were done unpacking, the linens and other items had arrived. We headed of to explore the complex and enjoy the rest of the beautiful day. When we returned to our room to get ready for dinner the mini-fridge had been repaired and our beer and pop were chilling. Our room was gorgeous, and had no sign of that musty smell we've experienced on many other holidays. The A/C was perfect and shut off automatically if either to door or the patio doors were opened.

The buffet was a buffet, though the best we've seen in our travels. Lots of fresh fruits and veg at all times of the day. Fresh baked goods at breakfast and breads at lunch and dinner. Typical omelette station at breakfast which converts to grilled meats for lunch and dinner. As our children our young, we choose to eat at the buffet rather than wait for a table at the a al carte restaurants. We are usually tired of the buffet by the end of our week, but there was a enough variety that this wasn't an issue here. Our kids are not picky eaters, but there were options for those who are (pasta station, pizza at every meal, lots of familiar raw veg).

The dining highlight was New Year's eve where there was fresh shrimp, lobster, and may other elevated choices for the meal. We also frequented the "snack shack" at the beach where the kids could get self-serve pop and ice cream and order fast food options to each at the little patio they had set up. There was a bar there as well, so we could enjoy a drink with our snacks.

Our older child enjoyed snorkelling in the ocean, a good variety of fish not too far off the shore. The beach was beautiful, but competition for the chairs with palapas was pretty fierce with the "towel game" starting when the sun came up.

The kid's pool was a highlight for our younger child who was not too thrilled with the ocean and enjoyed hours playing "where no fish will touch me". The hot tubs were located within the main pool with no solid division, so really they were more like warm tubs if this is important.

Over all, no complaints. We experienced very little contact with smokers that other reviewers mentioned. In the open air lobby there was some, but it was breezy enough it was no bother.
There was lots of walking but we were happy to have it as there was lots of eating too. Families with strollers might have had a harder time due to the stairs/ bridges that connect different areas of a resort, though we did see many strollers during the week.

Would we return? If the price was right. We missed the warmth and personal rapport with staff that comes with a smaller resort. There was nothing wrong with the service, it was efficient and friendly. The sheer size of the resort meant it was just not quite as personal as other places we've been.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear WpgSouthbound,
Thank you for your good comments and I hope you visit very soon again.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Been to Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!