“Wonderful family vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera ChetumaL-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Wonderful family vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Just got back from 7 days at Grand Palladium Riviera. Wonderful trip taken with our 6-month old and 2.5 year old. Suite room gave us ample space and the benefit of having a seperate room for our toddler to sleep in. Nice big jacuzzi bath as well. No towel-animal things every day...but really, who cares?
Food/drinks were great and exactly what is to be expected from an all-inclusive resort (come on people, you're not paying for 5-star top chef style food, so don't expect that and then complain about not getting it!). Never had to wait for any of the a la cartes as long as we were there by 6:30pm.
We had a double-stroller with us so had to walk everywhere which was fine, could walk the entire grounds in 15 minutes using the beautiful paths in the mangroves...those who complain about transportation and the size of the resort are simply lazy (and yes we were going from the FAR end of the Riviera villas to the opposite end of the Kantennah beach area multiple times a day, no problems). Taking the golf carts/trains for fun once in a while was great, but a little bit of walking won't kill anyone.
Yes, unfortunately people smoked everywhere...but that's how it is in most other countries aside from the US/Canada.
Beach/pools were great, always got a spot in the shade when needed...very clean, lots of fun for the kids. The beach was often windy, but the resort has no control over that, every beach in that area is windy! And yes there were rocky areas (again, not the hotels fault!) but it was very easy to walk to the sandy beach area as well!
Never left kids at kids club as we didn't feel the need to, however we went there often to stay/play with our kids and they had lots of fun...the staff we saw (for the mini-club especially) worked really hard and had lots of great activities prepared for the kids.
If you want a family vacation with lots of options for swimming, decent unlimited food/drinks and beautiful grounds I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Antonio P, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear lilithgdss,
I couldn't have said it better myself hehe...
Thank you very much and please come back soon. It will be a pleasure to meet you personally.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We just came back from our second trip to this resort. Our first trip was with friends and this one was with family. Our request to have everyone close by has been met. Beautiful resort with lot's to see. Prepare to walk a little since everything is kind of far, but we didn't mind it at all. The beach close to Colonial is beautiful, no rocks, no seaweed and lot's of shade. A couple of issues/suggestions for the hotel since they read these reviews.

1. We stayed in the Villa 68 and housekeeping didn't get to our rooms until 2ish, which is the time we were coming back from the beach to put kids down for nap. But we would call the front desk, and our room would be taken care of by the time we would come back.
2. We would go the shows to Colonial by taking the train. After the show lot's of people would be waiting for the train to get back to their part of the resort. Since there's only one train, often we would have to wait for the train to come back for the second time due to amount of people. It would be OK if we were there without kids. Would be helpful if all available transportation could help out.
3. Breakfast. Either go for juice or get your own coffee since it's almost impossible to get a cup. Since this is our second trip, we knew this and would'n even wait for the wait staff.

Overall this is a great place for families with kids, with lot's of activities and lot's of wild life. We booked our third trip today for this June and can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Colonial and White Sand seems to be in the middle of things. So I would recommend these one of thes...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear amstech,
Yes, I read you hehe.
Regarding the points you mention our housekeeping department works in the rooms from 8am to 4pm. If a specifict time is required to clean the room it can be reported to our Front Desk and they will pass the information to our Housekeeping Manager.
Regarding the transportation after the shows we usually send more vehicles but it sometimes it is very difficult if we have other events such as weddings or groups that also require transportation at that time. This week we have received a new train so it will help.
I also will check the issue with the coffee with our Food and Beverage Manager.

Thank you for your time and we will be waiting for your next visit in June.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the riviera side of the resort from Feb 2 - 8 2013. This is the first time we have stayed at a larger resort. The pros.... Food at buffet had a good selection of food. Great service. Never felt like we waited long for food or drinks. Beach was nice but a little windy. Pool was large and not overcrowded. Never felt like we couldn't find a beach chair. Very clean, could walk barefoot anywhere. Plenty to do and the entertainment was good. The spa was great. The Segway tour was awesome! Restaurants were good. Drinks were mixed well. Rooms were large for us as we usually just slept there. Fridge was stocked every day. A/C kept room cool. Now the cons....too much walking! If the transportation was more reliable would be no problem. They needed to add another train to go from lobby to lobby. It was usually full. The carts to go from villa to villa were either nowhere to be seen or you had to tip one of them to sneak you on. More vehicles would take care of this problem. Also no drop offs at beach. Shows started a little late for my taste. 9:00 - 10:00 at night. Didn't have hot water in the shower for 5 of the 6 days we were there. Told the front desk twice and never got taken are of. What was weird was we might have hot water in the sink or in the tub but never the shower. Overall really nice but if you don't like to walk 10 minutes everywhere you go then this is not the resort for you.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Antonio P, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Casey B,
I take note of the issues you mention. I agree the Hotel is huge, this is something to consider if anyone have walking issues but this is also why we have internal transportation.
It is weird what you mention regarding the hot water as it would affect more rooms and I haven't seen any other reports, I will check that with our Maintenance Manager to investigate if something could happen during those dates.

Thank you and it will be wonderful to see you back in the Hotel.

McLean, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This was our 4th time staying at the GP Riviera Maya. As a group, we had a great time. The reservation staff gave us the exact rooms that we requested. We stayed in a one-bedroom suite in the Riviera Section. The room was fantastic and well worth the extra money we spent. However, the facility is beginning to show it's age. One of the children became ill and we had to remove the sheets from the mattress on the pull out couch, then we saw that the mattress was very old and stained. I do understand that the resort is undergoing soft improvements, so this should not be the case in the future. I would make sure that you stay in one of the renovated sections. We did not have an issue with dining reservations and were actually able to eat most nights within 30 minutes of our ideal time. We had small children with us and were happy dining before 7:00pm. I was told by the staff that there were lots of Europeans at the resort during this time who preferred the later dining time, so this might not always be the case. We were very pleased with the meal quality and felt that it had improved since our last visit two years ago. My big complaint is with the GP's poor smoking policy. People were smoking everywhere....the sports bar, the swim up pool bar, the beach, all the shows and some of the outdoor restaurants. In particular, two men sat behind us at the Disney Show at 9:15pm and had one cigarette after another. When we moved our seats to avoid the smoke, within minutes another smoking party arrived. Really...the theatre was filled with children. There was some great entertainment in the Colonial Lobby. However, the lounge area was filled with smokers and we were unable to stay. I did not see the same number of smokers in the other lobbies so it is possible a large group of smokers was staying at the Colonial. Smokers had not been an issue during our previous stays. Transportation was also problematic after the evening shows. Folks were making a mad push for the trains and we waited for two trains before we thought to offer a bellman $5.00 to bring us back to our rooms in a cart. We also could not count on the boat transfer from the White Sands lobby before or after breakfast which was a problem as one of our party had her foot in a cast. We were at the resort in early December before the Christmas crowds arrived so it should not have been so difficult to find transportation. We had not traveled with young children in the past, and we had always stayed in the Royal Section, so I'm not sure if our very positive past circumstances clouded our experience this time. I would go back to the GP only if I could stay in the Royal Section.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Nashna,
Thank you for your 4th visit, it is always nice to see repetitive guests coming year after year.
I take note of all the issues you mention and I hope you visit us next year.

Brockville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Just got back from the Grand Palladium Riviera and will tell you the experience was fantastic. The resort is large but many options to get around, we found using the beach was the easiest until we got upgraded from the junior suites to the Royal Suites and there we enjoyed the services of the pick up and drop off (usually by Augustine, friendly funny and very informative!) we were really impressed with the junior suites, clean, roomy and the beds and pillows were very comfortable We were even more satisfied with the upgrade to the Royal suites. The food was very good and the service in the restaraunts were always friendly and accomadatining. The pools are very clean and large, they are a little deeper than most resort's I've been to especially at the bars but there are plenty of shallow areas around ther perimeter of the pool to lounge in. My only minor knock on this was the service at the colonial beach bar where we spent most of our time, they were never in too much of a hurry to serve (and yes I tipped) but did find the service at the lobby bars much better.
This resort has something for everyone and a large variety of alacartes, If your a steak eater the El Dorado was fantastic
The only big dissappointment which has nothing to do with the resort was the pompous Sunwing agent on site, he was very ignorant and would not give us our depature time when we asked and the only time he seemed to have for us was when we tried to get information from him for excursions but couldn't at that time, we looked into another source amazingly enough
time became available?!

Tony and Cheryl
Ontario

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Antonio P, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Tony and Cheryl,
It is nice to see that you had a wonderful vacation. Please visit us again!

canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My family stayed at the Palladium to attend my brothers wedding and everyone had a great time. The resort complex is huge as it is actually 5 resorts in 1. Guests have access to the services provided at all resorts (with the exception of the "Royal Suites", which are for time share customers). Due to the immense size of the grounds there are golf cart shuttles that take guests to their villas or lobbies. I found this to be one of my complaints of this resort as wait times could be as much as 30 minutes and sometimes the carts were full so you'd have to wait for the next one! After 2 days I oriented myself and just walked everywhere. It was MUCH quicker and the walks were quite pleasant. To time it, I started walking at the same time the cart picked up my grandpa and I reached the lobby 4 minutes before he did. Not to mention he had been waiting for 15 minutes already.

The rooms are large and clean though if you leave your aircon off there is a musty smell. Our back deck faced a forested area so we would frequently see lizards, pacas, raccoons and coatis. That was a real treat. Maid service was quick and thorough.

Food selection was diverse. The buffets had great spreads and never seemed to run out of anything unless you showed up right before closing time. We tried out 4 different a la cart restaurants (steakhouse, Brazilian, Mexican and Oriental) and they were all delicious. We never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a table even when we showed up with 10 people.

The are several large general use pools as well as a couple adult only pools and two salt water pools. The pools are maintained well but I didn't use them much as the water was too cold for me! The swim up bars eventually lured me in though. The ocean was much warmer and i'll chose the ocean over a pool any day. Large portions of the beach are rocky or have coral so there are only a few sections that are convenient for swimming. I actually stepped on a sea urchin in one of the coral sections so be careful (it hurt!). I found the beach to be too overcrowded as it is not large enough for this resort. If you're the type of person that likes to wander off and find a quiet solitary spot on the beach you will be disappointed here. That said, the sand is soft and the water is nice so it could be worse.

The wedding was held at one of the alters on the beach so the setting was very nice. Everything went very smooth so my brother and sister in law were very pleased with everything. Kudos to the resort wedding planners for organizing such a nice event.

All in all this is a great resort and I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Antonio P, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Harmonize,
Thank you for your review, I will pass your good comments to our Wedding Department. They will be very happy to read these comments.
Just one thing, our Royal Suites section is not for our Palladium Travel Club members, anybody can reserver that section of the Resort, in fact I really recommend this section as it offer a more exclusive service.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is 1 of 5 in palladium complex. Great location removed from other Resorts. Nice beach, nice salt pool . Rooms are dated, beds hard, pillows not so nice. Maid service less than what you would expect . Bar service was good. Food could have been better. Ala cart restaurants always seemed to have 2 hour wait when they where half empty. They allow vendors in the courtyard every night to sell goods witch is nice if you want to be harassed every night. Overall service seems to lack unless you have tip in hand. Having stayed at the palladium years ago it was a dissappointment from what it once was. Overhearing the conversations in the shuttle on the way to the airport of other groups they all stated they would not return to the resort.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Andrew P,
I'm sorry you expected something different. The vendors we have in the Hotel have always worked in the Hotel since we opened more than 10 years ago and I can tell you we never received a complaint in this aspect, on the contrary they are very cooperatives and always helped our customers if they had any problem with a damaged product or any othe issue.
If anyone was not professional I would like it could have been mentioned to any of our Managers during your stay so we can identify a bad behaviour.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Been to Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!