“Great value and food, but not always family friendly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa

You added Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera ChetumaL-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Louisville, Kentucky
“Great value and food, but not always family friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Our family of four visited the Grand Palladium for 10 days in late May 2012. The resort is beautiful with a lot of wildlife and trails through the forest. Unfortunately it was unusually rainy during our stay. It would have been nice for there to be more indoor activities available and lobby areas that were better protected from the rain. The marble floors are beautiful but become very slippery when it rains and both of my children fell while walking through the lobby. The pools are very large and it was great to be able to get a cold drink from the swim up bars whenever we had nice weather. The food was excellent, especially at the a la carte restaurants. Our favorite part of this resort was trying all the different restaurants and sampling new foods. We like to eat around 6 pm and usually could get into the restaurants with very little wait. The only exception was the Japanese Teppanyaki restaurant. Reservations were required and we could not get in to dine there (reservations were taken at 8 am each morning for the following day and it was booked every time we tried.) We had a junior suite which was a nice room and it had a large bathroom and nice balcony. However, it was not as lavishly appointed as some other all-inclusive resorts where we have stayed. The sheets were not very soft and the kids thought that the pull-out couch was not very comfortable. We would have liked to reserve a suite, but they only have one king bed and a pull-out couch, so there we not enough beds. The kids club was a disappointment for us and our children. They are aged 7 and 10 and the kids area was better equipped for very young children (under 5 years). Also, the kids area was mostly outside and they had only a tiny indoor area. This was not a good set up considering that it rained a lot while we were there. We have been on a cruise and they took advantage of the activities on the boat, but neither of our children wanted to spend any time in the kids club at Grand Palladium. They did have a teen club that our 10 year old was interested in but he wasn't old enough to participate. The spa seemed nice, but their policies were not family friendly…only ages 18 and up are allowed in the spa and exercise area. We would have liked to be able to exercise more often and take advantage of the spa, but we couldn't because we had to take turns. Overall the Grand Palladium is a lovely resort and reasonably priced so we would consider going back there, but would probably wait until our kids are a little older.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear jasonandlaura26,
Thank you for chosing us for your holidays. I'm sorry the weather was not so good during your stay but it is good to know that you enjoyed your vacation.
Regarding the miniclub we usually have very good comments but I also understand that depending on the season we have more children and it makes it more enjoyable for the children who stay there.
I hope you visit us soon, I promise you better weather conditions hehe

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Port Moody, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We just returned from a one week stay at the Grand Palladium Riviera. I have to say I was a bit disappointed in this resort after reading all the glowing reviews from other travellers. To begin with, it is about 2 hours by bus from Cancun airport which makes for a long travel day. When we arrived we were told our bags would be brought to our room within 5- 10 min. Since it was really late and we just needed to crash, the 35 min. wait was not appreciated. We had to call them to find out what was taking so long and even then it took another 10 min. Then we went to take a hot shower only to find there was no hot water in our room. We decided to just go to bed and discovered that the pillows were horrible. When I say horrible, I mean rock hard and then we noticed a sign saying that you can upgrade to decent pillows for $3 USD per night per pillow. Needless to say, we were not impressed with our 5 star choice.

Things did improve over the course of our stay as the hot water issue was fixed about 3 days into our stay and we were able to enjoy some of the resorts beautiful grounds and a la carte restaurants. My kids loved seeing real crocodiles, plenty of fish, iguanas, lizards, and other wildlife through out the resort. The spa is beautifully decorated with an adult only area. My facial was average and the prices were reasonable. The property is very well maintained and kept very clean. The staff overall were friendly and professional. The buffet was average but the bars were great. The pool was also gorgeous and only 4 ft deep throughout so the kids could swim without us having to worry. There is no room service or pool side service which would have been really nice. The shows were quite good and the open air markets were also fun. Make sure you bargain as we were able to get some great deals. My only other comment is that this resort is huge and it takes a really long time to get around. They provide train/ shuttle service but it can get full really fast and you can end up waiting 15-20 min, sometimes longer, to get where you need to go. If you are with anyone who is not very mobile then this kind of layout can really be a detriment. Something to consider for this resort. If you are going to stay, I would suggest staying at the Colonial building which is closer to the pool and better restaurants and ask for a room that is not to far from the lobby to save yourself a lot of time walking.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Shana820,
Thank you for your review. I agree with you that to visit our Spa is a must.
I take note of the points you didn't like as I agree we always can improve.

Norwich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

To start with the GP Riviera is my fave hotel in the world, I have stayed here 4 times now including having my honeymoon here too.Im also a member of Palladium addicts so know we alot about this hotel and the others next to it.

Everything was the same excellent standard as on all the other trips except 2 things this time.
Im very sad to say the Food and Alcohol was just not upto its usual standard.

The Alcohol was fine in quality as you have to ask for the brand you require but the drink mixing was all over the place so getting a decent cocktail was hard task.
We found the best cocktails were served in the Mexican/Steak House shared bar then it was hit and miss around the rest of the resort :(

I guess some bar staff are better than others...

Now the food.. we noticed on the first visit to the buffet that the plate warmers were not working and also alot of the food was only just warm.
We spoke to other guests and they said the same thing but this did change on the last 3 days of the holiday and strangley enough the food was better quality too??

The Ala carts were superb as usual but the major let down for those was the veggies menus which have been introduced since our last trip. They were very bland and alot of the time didnt fit in with the themes. My wife ordered a Veg chop suey in the Bamboo and it didnt have a single bean sprout in it.. isnt this the main ingredient?

Not really to do with the food but we had an incident in the braziilian Ala Carte where we had a table of very very rowdy drunk american guests sitting behind us and the noise was unbearable. They were told to calm it down by the staff but they didnt take notice and kept on. We left before dessert and the staff didnt do no more ... :(
They should of called security to be honest.

Apart from these few bad things we had a good holiday and the staff were good too.

We will go back but not for a while due to the very very high prices as its doubled in 2 years.

If you stay here I recommend going to Punta Emalia after 12am and grab a pizza before bed and hopefully you will see the raccoons

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Stevie T,

Thank you for your time and your comments. I really appreciate your time and the information you provided will help to improve our facilities.
As usual is nice to receive addict members.

Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Myself and a friend just returned from the Palladium. We stayed in the Royal Suites section which was awesome. The service was impeccable and many thanks to our Butler, Alberto and the drivers we usually ended up with Israel, Frank and Manuel who were always there to drive us where we wanted to go and always with a smile.

The resort is amazing and I don't think you can go wrong no matter which section you decide to stay in.

My next trip I plan to return with my family a nd grandchidren so may opt for the Colonial Section where the kids club is.

The food was excellent no matter where we ate and the beach was gorgeous.

My friend had some pre existing medical problems and was awaiting surgery before we took this trip and I have to say Dr. Jorge was fantastic in helping her make the most of her vacation. By the end of the week, we had become quite good friends with him and upon our observations when waiting to be seen, those exiting his office always left with a smile and I am sure feeling much better than when they went in. He is an awesome doctor and one I would want for my own should I live in Mexico.

The only thing I missed and was surprised at, was with so many Canadians travelling here, there was no Canadian television station and I would like to see CTV added to their satellite package and there are those of us who tend to call it an early night. A Canadian newspaper, i/e Toronto Star would be most welcome too.

We did have need of the wifi this trip and found it fading in and out so maybe a larger router is needed.

Otherwise PERFECT!!!

Room Tip: If you have children, I would suggest the Colonial Section, if you want quiet, the Royal Section or...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Shadow521,
Thank you for your review and yes we have many Canadians who visit us during this season. I take note of your comments as I agree we can improve many services.

Champaign, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel is the best place I have ever been to for vacation! It is so beautiful and fun! I had so much fun with my friends and family! The place was amazing! But what made it even better was the POP team and my favorite bartender Francisco Medina Puc at the bar La jarra. The POP team was entertaining and made things so much fun! Francisco was always very quick at making drinks and taking orders and always made the drinks the best!!!! He was the best and most entertaining bartender I have ever met. If you want good drinks go find him, he will not let you down!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear kaknowles11,
Thank you for your time and you can be sure we will extend your good comments to our POP team.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My wife and I spent 12 great days from Oct 8 to 20, 2012.We love it as much now as our first time in 2010. Wherever you choose to eat, either at the buffet or the a la carte restaurants the food is excellent. The property is very well maintained and clean. The junior suites are spacious and clean. The property is vast but is accessible to all, either by walking, trolley.train,or pontoon. The staff is always greeting you with a smile and an OLA. We would like to express our thanks to Pedro and Santiago the bellboys at the Riviera lobby.We will be returning for sure to this beutifull resort.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear mario m,
Thank you for your time and it will be a pleasure to see you back in Palladium for your 4th visit.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I spent 2 weeks at this resort, staying at the riviera side from Oct 7-21. This is our first 2 week trip and our first large resort complex that actually had 5 resorts in one. The resort was huge but there was not a lot of walking if you walked the beach to where you wanted to go. 5-10 minutes from one end to the other. There are covered walkways that you can take in case of rain and golf carts that take you to your villa and trains that goes around the 4 lobbies. The al a carte restaraunts were all wonderful and it was great that you didnt have to make reservations. The buffets always had something good. I must say the second week they must have had different kicthen staff as the food was not as good as the first in the buffet at riviera/white sands. The beach was perfect for us as we like to snorkle and always wear water shoes, last thing you need on vacation is cut foot. There were many spots without rocks and with rocks, this was easily visible. We did see a fair variety of fish considering there was not a lot of living coral. Staff were always friendly and english was well spoken. We always tip but never noticed anyone expecting it. We tip randomly too, not every drink, we would tip when we were leaving an area and never before, service was always the same. The resort, no matter where we went was spottless and everyone looked like they were happy and genuinely enjoyed working here. We did not want to come home and are seriously thinking of a return trip, which we have not ever done before.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Grateful_Kelly,
Thank you for your good comments and of course it will be a pleasure to receive you back if you come next year.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Been to Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!