“Gorgeous resort. Good for families” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa

You added Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Evans, Georgia
“Gorgeous resort. Good for families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

I will break this review into sections so you can skip what you aren't interested in. I will also try to keep it brief but be thorough. We were there May 6-13.

The flights: This trip was our first time taking the kids (4 years and 13 years) out of the US and our first time taking a connecting flight. We flew American from O'Hare to Dallas/Ft Worth. That flight was fine. However, after rushing the kids through the terminal, sucking down some lunch and check the board we found the plane was delayed. Big shock. We shrugged it off and said if something is going to go wrong on vacation, it is always the flights! Finally after a 1 hour delay, we board and the rest of the flight is fine.
The return flight was not. We left CUN 1/2 hour late due to a bad thunderstorm in Chicago, not a big deal and the flight was fine until the decent over O'Hare. I don't know what happened, but it was awful! The plane fell hard enough 3 times to lift you out of your seat. People will complaining and grabbing their seats. It was not turbulence. Not sure what it was, but it was terrible. Then bouncing and shaking like mad. Finally hit the ground and the lady behind us said she has never had such a horrible experience and she flies 1-2 times a month for business. Our little guy (4 years) threw up as we were taxing in from motion sickness. It was really bad.

Transfers: Great! Walked out and Lomas had a sign with our name, hoped in our van and off we went. Took just about 1 hour.

Beach: Huge, deep, gorgeous! Rocky areas for snorkelers, sandy areas for swimmers. Something for everyone. Plenty of beach chairs and shade from palm trees and palapas. While we were there, they were building more palapas. Water was calm, except the last 2 days. Clear, warm water. Loved it.

Pool: We only went in the White Sands pool. It was very large, water was warm. If a few missing tiles, moldy grout areas, or broken tiles bother you, you will not be happy. Our kids loved it. The water was very clear, no murkiness like some pools at other places. We swam in it every day and really enjoyed it.

Service: Overall, pretty good. The lady that welcomes you to the resort was horrible. She insulted us and gave us some wrong info about the resort ---I knew it was wrong from this site and another I am a member of. Not a good way to start the trip. Buffet service was anywhere from horrible to pretty good. Only ate in 2 sit down restaraunts and one had great service other was pretty good. It's a family resort, we didn't expect much.
Took 2 phone calls and 1 hour before someone came and fixed our A/C in the living room section of the suite and our fridge. Also not a good way to start a vacation when you are tired and it is late.

Food: Overall, pretty good. Only at 1 meal at the Colonial buffet was pretty awful, the buffets at White Sand were overall pretty good. They are buffets, not gourmet dining. The 2 sit downs had very good food. Again, it's not gourmet, but very good. We wished they didn't use so much salt on the food, but overall it was pretty good.

Rooms: We had a 1 bedroom suite. It was a very nice size and worked great for our family of 4. The kids (4 and 13 years) shared the pull out sofa and hubby and I had a king size bed in our bedroom. Both rooms had a seperate balcony which was very nice. Our room was cleaned every day and even had a towel animal 5 of the days we were there.

Entertainment: Did not see any shows. They were too late for us since we are early morning people. Disappointed that the kids show didn't start til 9 PM. Wish it was at 8 PM as our little guy really wanted to see it, but he is an early to bed, early to rise kid and that is just too late for the little ones.

Kids and Teen clubs: We did not use either.

Would we return: We would consider returning for a family vacation, but not if it was just the 2 of us. Too many kids if we were having an adult vacation. But it is a family resort.

Would we recommend this resort? Absolutely to families and to couples that understand there will be kids around unless the stay soley in the adult only areas of the resort.

Helpful hints....if you are going to this resort as a couple and you sit down next to beach chairs with sandtoys there are probably kids they belong too. Don't get all crabby and make a big scene about leaving when the family returns from the water and the kids are playing with their toys. This IS a family resort! Also, when a 4 year old says "Hola" and smiles, would it really kill you to smile and say "Hola" back??

And smokers.......the beach is NOT your ashtray. The potted plants in the lobby are also NOT your ashtray! Show some respect if not for the environment at least for other guests.

And please people, there are plenty of garbage cans around the beach, pool area and resort, use them.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

This is my first time to Palladium and I probably would not go back. The resort was just average with tons of walking.

Pros:

-Beautiful beaches, grounds and awesome pool
-Workers except for some in reception/information are very nice and helpful
-Food was average (Brazilian, Mexican and Japanese were great!).
-Very clean and well kept place!
-Salt water pool…it is phenomenal and private
-The beach was literally 20 seconds away from our suite.

Cons:

-Be prepared to fill out a ridiculous registration form (name, address, email etc) upon arrival. After 10 hours on a plane and bus, we just wanted to get to our rooms and shower but the resort staff will not give you your card keys until something is filled out

-We were told that we can only get 3 a la carte meals a day but it was conveniently open only from 5:30pm-10:30pm. (We love to eat) Definitely make reservations for dinner in the morning/early afternoon (White Sands Lobby) or expect to wait up to an hour and half. Certain restaurants are only open on select nights as well.

-Bring a laptop!! There’s free wireless internet in each lobby there but no actual computer stations except in the sportsbar (which costs $8US for half hour).

-Dress code in effect therefore men must wear pants/jeans to a la carte dinner! It can be frustrating for those who sweat profusely but need to rock the necessary bottoms. BF ended up carrying jeans in a backpack and changing before dinner in the lobby

-Beaches near White Sand are a bit rocky but move down towards the colonial/katenah side and its nice soft white beaches

-The imperial junior suite looked like an old room with an ancient Zenith tele. Sadly, some hostels in Asia were better and cheaper as well.

-Bring that mosquito repellent or else they will eat you alive

-Beware of the pool!! I’m not sure if it’s the chlorine they use but white swimming trunks/bathing suits will turn yellow. And yes, it has been experimented.

-I would not recommend the snorkelling trip through the hotel (you can book this on the beach) where all the paddle boats etc are located. The reefs are not impressive.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
nova scotia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

Travelled here with husband and 2 couples, one with their adult daughter... 25April-2May2010.

Weather the entire time was fabulous - just the odd shower, nothing to spoil anything; humidity was starting to climb toward the end of our vacation..

We all reserved White Sand Section, Imperial Club Suite, offered by Transat Holidays. We chose the suite as it guaranteed King bed and had 2 balconies, one off the living area and one off the bedroom. Bathroom had spacious shower with separate whirtpool bath.

The other benefit of the Imperial Club inclusions is having a bathrobe and slippers in room; bottle of tequila and fruit basked in room upon arrival, stocked mini fridge (loved the large bottles of water - bottled on site at Palladium's own plant!) and best of all 5 guaranteed a la carte reservations made through a dedicated Concierge. Having 5 reservations makes all the difference when it is busy ... no line ups, just right to your restaurant and seated at your reservatoin time!

At check in, we were bumped to Riviera section, but wore the Imperial Club bracelet for our perks. It worked out well as we were assigned Villa 60, the first in the line at Riviera; actually closer to the main pool area than we would have been had we gotten our request in Villa 57, 58 or 59! We had a second floor room with little view from the mangrove, but it did not bother us really. We basically used the balconies for watching the sunrise and drying our wet bathing suits! We liked relaxing in the whirlpool or the air conditioning of the room versus the balconies.

We ate breakfast every morning at the Riviera/White Sand Buffet La Laguna. Plenty of variety, something for every taste... serioulsy, absolutely no complaints. Had lunch one day after our morning sejour to Playa del Carmen at the Colonial Section Buffet. Great choices again, but not set up as well as the R/WS one.

We took advantage of our a la carte reservations:

Sumptuori located at the Colonial/Kantenah section - we reserved the Japanese Teppanyaki show table. Cook was definitely adept at his craft, flicking knifes/forks, spatulas, etc. Good thing he was entertaining! I enjoyed the appetizer sushi and thank goodness I filled up on it as the main courses of Chicken, Beef, Fish and rice were so salty they were inedible. We all commented on this. Not even the putrid wine could compensate for this disaster.

Portofino Italian - located in the Riviera/White Sand Sectoin.... most of us had the King Prawns which were delish... the Mushroom side dish served was very smokey flavored. The one chicken dish which was ordered had to be sent back as the chicken was not cooked. I had a Kir Royale which helped the evening. Note: You can get top shelf brands at the bars servicing the a la carte restaurants. The Lobby bars do not serve Champagne nor Grand Marnier or Sambuca.

Rodizio Brazilian restaurante - located in the Riviera/White Sand section - this had to be the most interesting meal we enjoyed! Servers kept coming around with huge skewers of grilled meats and you kept eating until you thought you were going to blow up! All the beef, chicken, pork, rabbit et all were done to perfection! We really liked this experience and it seemed to be very popular every night with line ups waiting for the next available table... thank goodness we were able to make reservations! Gave up on the wine!

Bamboo Asian restaurant - Located in the Riviera/White Sand sectoin... we sat at the floor level tables which made for an interesting feat when we got up to get our appetizer/salads and when we were leaving. I again enjoyed the Sushi. The Sweet N Sour Pork I ordered for my main dish was very good and the portion was very large, I could not finish it. It took a long time for this meal to end though. Again the wine was not good.

Ribs N More - located in Riviera/White Sand Section - hubby and I had a dinner to ourselves this night. When we arrived our table was not quite ready so we ordered a Grand Marnier and Kir Royale as aperitifs and no sooner were they served and we got seated! I gotta say it was probably our best evening meal while we were at the Grand Palladium. Hubby had the pork back ribs and he really enjoyed them and I much to my surprise, I ordered a Rib Eye Steak. While not very thick in cut, it was juicy and grilled to my perfection! Very nice surprise as MX is not known for its beef!

Grounds are immaculately kept; resort is very spread out between the four sections: Riviera, White Sand, Colonial and Kantenah. The Pontoon Boat ride within Riviera/White Sand sections is a nice added bonus. The lone alligator exists in its large pen - it ate 8 of its mates, so he is alone now. The resort does not want to add any more gators to the area for fear they will suffer the same demise... I say get rid of that gator, baby!

The beach the spans the Colonial/Kantenah and White Sands sections is gorgeous. Fantastic walking beach and some great snorkelling on site as well. You need aqua socks for the White Sand portion by Punta Emilia Beach Bar and Grill because of the remnants of the reef there. While there is no beach fronting the Riviera section, it is home to the beautiful Salt Water Pool. Plenty of lounge chairs and shade everywhere - same as at the pools.

We really did not get to enjoy the evening entertainment while away, but we normally don't ... a late dinner with an after dinner drink and we are done for the day!

Staff was without exception very good and we tipped where appropriate - FOR service, not to get it! I tipped our maid and left a couple of gifts for her and our room was very well tended - no complaints here either.

Mosquitos were starting to get bad toward the end of our stay but I was prepared wtih the Deep Woods Off... sprayed on me and in our room around balcony doors, entryway and windows. Save for a couple, I think we had them beat!

We enjoyed the spa area ... the pool, the hot/cold pools, steam room, etc - make sure you get there... they are all free to use!

We loved the main swim up pool bar at Riviera/White Sand. Service was outstanding even when we got inundated with rude and pushy Cinco de Mayo revellers. Some people just don't wait their turn! Bubba Kegs were a god-send as they serve beverages in those flimsy plastic cups. The bartenders were always glad to give them a rinse and pour new drinks in them for us.

Enjoyed the adult only pool off to the side of the main pool. Wish the bar was swim up there, but Moses was more than happy to wait on you at your chaise!

While there had been some comments earlier in the season about the pool temperatures, they were absolutely perfect when we were there at the end of April.

I could go on and on... overall, we had a great trip. We were disappointed with a couple of the evening meals, but that did not deter from our vacation enjoyment. We definitely would go back, which is a great sign, but we prefer adult only resorts.

I would be pleased to answer any questions you might have.... go and enjoy the Grand Palladium Riviery Maya!

Denise & Stu

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Western NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

This was our 3rd trip to the area, always on April break. When we first arrived, in an hour thanks to our friends at AGI tours (the best!), we were a bit overwhelmed. It was later than our usual arrival time (just the way the flights worked out) and after our sit down with Nancy to tell us all about the resort, it was 4:30 as we made our way to our room. Shortly we were on our way out to where Nancy told us we could get food at that hour since we had not eaten in quite a long time. She said the beach bar served food 24 hours a day. When we arrived at 4:55, we found they had stopped serving food....WHAT?? This is the only place to GET food I told him, but no; food could not be had. Apparently they take time to switch over to the evening food fare. This did not make us happy, but we waited to eat at the Italian at 5:30 and then I was not happy with the food there. Not a good start to the vacation but I am here to tell you, it got better from there. I don't know if it was partially because of our expectations from previous stays or maybe we were just dead tired from all the travel and getting up at 4:00am, but the next day it was like a completely different resort for us. I tell you all this story because I want you to see that if thing are not going exactly as planned, it pays to give it another look in the morning. I really wanted to leave that first night, but the next day turned it all around.

I took the advise of others and took an early walk (not far at all from us in bldg. 56) to the beach bar for a famous cappuccino and hubs had a double espresso. YUM! We had one every morning thereafter. On our walk down the beach we ran into Fernando from Scuba Caribe. We had booked with them for my hubs and son to do a resort dive in advance and I was concerned because we had but Fernando calmed my worries. He was the best. He took us over to the hut down on the beach, showed us around, told us where he would be to do a practice pool dive over at White Sands pool, and then we were on our way for the rest of our morning walk. And by the way, we saw more iguanas in one morning walk here than we saw the entire trip to either of our other resorts! Saw many wonderful birds and all the other great creatures they have. Hands down the best place we have been for unrestricted wildlife. After the long walk, we found a spot by the White Sands pool and parked it for the day. The entertainment group here is great. The guys at the pool bar were great too. My husband was not a fan at all of the Sol beer offered everywhere in the resort, so the guys in the pool bar would make a special trip to another bar for him for the dark beer he loved if they did not happen to have it tapped that day right there, without even being asked to, btw. They would just tell him "uno momento por favor" and be off to another bar somewhere to get him some. Outstanding service there! The next day we went over to the Colonial pool just for something different and it was indeed different. Lots more people taking part in the fun morning activities and the pool volleyball. More kids around the early teen years too. Just a different feel all the way around but they are both good. Dinner that night was a tasty surprise for us at the Mexican and we ended up eating there again before leaving because we loved it so much. Service in there was the best for us too.

Before I forget to mention this, we stayed in a Suite in the White sands, which I hear is a smaller suite than in the Colonial/Kentanah side. The size was good, bathroom nice, but the pull out bed for my son in the livingroom was like a rock. We did get the staff to bring us a few extra blankets to put down on it so it was a bit softer, but if we go back I will get the regular room with the two queen beds. I'm sure this pull out bed would have been fine for a young child, but my son is 14 and stands 5' 10", so it was a bit uncomfortable for him. They did have flat screen t.v.'s and all kinds of bath ammenities in case you forgot any of your own. They also had 2 or 3 english cartoon channels so the kids will be thrilled. Another really big downside for us; no computer hook-up at all in the room. WiFi would have been great, but we were willing to settle for just a hook-up. I couldn't believe there was no way to use the computer in the room. There was wifi in the lobby but 2 nights we couldn't even stay down there and use it because the bugs and humidity were so bad. And 2 other nights they couldn't get a connection at all because there were too many people already on it.

Lastly, I just want to say what a fantastic experience it was for my husband and son to go on the scuba trip. Scuba Caribe was top notch. We liked them so much that we ended up booking all of us to go on the underwater mayan trip which goes out Mon,/Wed./Fri. only and goes from 9:30 to 3:30ish. You go to Akumal to swim with turtles first. We did this last year but on our own, and I cannot tell you what a different experience it is with a guide. And they take really great care of you. Then onto the cenote called Dos Ojos (2 eyes). This was the best part. The water was crystal clear and the bat cave is really something to see. I highly recommend this trip.

So, to recap:
Didn't like the pull-out bed in front room of suite, the lack of good spots for wifi, no computer hook-up at all in the room, the Sol beer everywhere, the stairs over the lagoon or the hour we spent with Nancy going over everything the resort had to offer. Nothing personal on Nancy and she did a fine job but I just felt she was trying to get us to go to the time-share type meeting more than anything and we were not interested. Didn't get 3rd floor as requested either, but our spot was ok and had a view of the White Sands pool.

LOVED the cappuccinos at the beach bar, the beautiful and long beach, the friendly and accommodating staff, the food which was above average almost everywhere, the area itself was well maintained, the pools were beautiful and the Scuba Caribe shop was fantastic (Thanks Fernando and "Mr. Bobby"!). Salt water pool was beautiful too! And if you also have a teenager who cannot live without contacting his friends back home once in awhile, they have great wifi in the black and white club fand a quiet pool right next to it for the grown-ups.

We are already talking about a trip back next year and bringing our older children and their significant others with us as well. There were things we loved and didn't love about the other two places we stayed at too. Everything is a trade off and this was a really great deal for the price. We will be back. And next time we will know what we need to do to make everything perfect for us. BTW, the reason we didn't go back to the other two places were the first one had been couples only and we were not on that type of vacation this time and the price on the second one had gone sky high. Palladium is definitely the better deal in our minds.

So go here and enjoy!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Montreal, Que, Canda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

This was my 2nd visit to a Palladium hotel, definately worth it.
Very big & clean resort, from the bathrooms of the lobbies to the ones on the beach. Lots of walking, but there are the trains every 10 min. that bring you from lobby to lobby and also to your villas.
Clean gym facility & good equipment.
Food was fantastic, from the restaurants (lots of choice) to the buffets.
I do not recommend this resort to singles. Very couple's oriented, and Playa del Carmen is 35 minutes away, but close to Tulum and the ruins.
A bit dissapointed in the room, I had an Imperial Junior Suite, looked more like a regular room to me.
Overall great trip.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
south wales, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

Stayed in a Junior Suite at the White Sands Palladium - one of 5 resorts in the sprawling Palladium complex along a beautiful white sand beach. My wifey wanted to do an all-inclusive where she didn't have to shop and cook - not the usual trip to the cottage which she says is "not a vacation for her". So after reading about a thousand reviews and becoming totally frustrated with trying to decide where to go we went to a travel agent and she sent us here through FunJet tours - thanks Sue.

We drove from Buffalo to Detroit (5 hours) and stayed at Fairfield Inn with Free parking right next door for $110 for the Sun-Sun. We did this to get a non-stop flight as my wife gets nauseous on takeoff and landings. Fairfield was fine. Parking was great. Bordercrossing was unpleasant. As a US citizen, I expect to be treated with respect by US customs - not grilled like a criminal - more on this later.

We flew SPIRIT air - a company I had never of, and will NEVER use again. Be ready to pay for EVERYTHING on Spirit - $25 per bag each way if you check and even water or coffee on the plane with credit card only. NEVER again Spirit!!!

Loomas travel took great care of us at the Cancun airport - be prepared to be swarmed by people trying to sucker you into a timeshare at the airport. We were warned to avoid these people.

1.5 hour busride to White Sands. Checked in and had 3 hours to kill before our room was ready so we changed in the convenient locker rooms off lobby and headed to the pool and Buffet. Be prepared to do a LOT of walking at this place. If you are unfit, elderly or handicapped, you may want to go elsewhere. You can catch a golfcart, train, or boat to move around the White Sands / Riviera complex.

The Good: Food was great at the Buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner - we ate most meals here. You can have pre-prepared stuff or have chicken or fish grilled fresh - I ate a lot of fish. Main pool at the White Sands / Riviera was where we spent a lot of time - depth is just right. Can't dive but can move around whole pool and touch the bottom. Pool at Kantaneh/Colonial was too deep to touch for wife and son - a little dangerous for poor swimmers. White sandy Beach is great. Free snorkling, kayaks, sailboats, etc. Loved the spa area - the only place you'll find a heated whirlpool. Archery is fun. Pool area activities are fun. Free alcohol and icecream is great. Sunrises and coffee at the beach bar. Bakini tops are optional - be prepared if you are traveling with children.

The Bad: killed a cockroach in the bathroom - it's the tropics and I don't have a daughter so nobody freaked out. Also had a small lizard in the room - a skink we used to call them in Florida - don't know where he ended up. Room was fine otherwise. Got into some stinging ants somewhere and the mosquito's were brutal at night as there had been a lot of rain before we arrived. Too hot much outdoor exercise - the spa gym is very warm and I sweated like a pig when I got on the treadmill - I'm used to running in Buffalo NY. Large iguanas are everywhere you want to walk - so be prepared if you are afraid of reptiles.

The Ugly - Birds hang out at the lunch buffet outdoor tables. You CANNOT leave your plate unattended for 5 seconds as the birds will attack your table. They should string some fishing line to try to get rid of these birds. Drunk punk welcoming the sunset at beach bar wanted to do a shot with me at 6am - a little early for me as I was having black coffee (cafe' negro). Drunken couple in the water another morning at 6am - girl had to be carried off the beach in a chase lounge chair. Beach bar food not good and area is besieged by birds. Nachos and cheese are good for a snack.

We had a great time overall - felt so mellow it was incredible. Would go back.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

We stayed at the White Sands for a family wedding. It was without doubt the best hotel we have ever stayed in and would recommend it without hesitation. The staff were excellent and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were lovely, we had a standard room which came with a spacious balcony and very ample bathroom with a stand in shower and jacuzzi bath. The food was fantastic and there wasnt a limit on how many visits you could make to the A la Carte retaraunts, as there is with most All Inclusives. There are several pools to choose from and a very relaxing lagoon on the coast. We didnt really make it to any of the shows as we were happy to just listen to the music in one of the many bars.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!