“Truly Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa

You added Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Truly Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

The Grand Palladium White Sands resort is only a portion of the enormous Grand Palladium resort complex. I have been to my share of all-inclusive resorts, and this one would find itself right at the top of the list. The Beach is amazing and soft. Palm trees line the beach and the walkways, and when you first walk into the enormous lobby, you notice right away the great service. Check in was very quick, and we didn't even need to touch our bags; they were in our room by the time we were getting our room cards.

The buffet was delicous, and they did a great job of mixing up the food so it didn't seem like you were eating the same meals everyday. May I suggest Maria, and her amazing omelet bar for breakfast!!! Also, bring a pair of khakis, and a dress, because the restaurants are classy. They are elegant and delicious, and there are are 7 different themed places.

There is a reef within swimming distance of the beach, where the snorkleing was really great. Thousands of fish, big turtles, and beautiful coral. I would suggest taking a quick trip to playa del carmen to find a snorkel service to see larger fish in deeper water.

The bars were really great, and they had imported alchohol. The drinks were not weak by any means, but once in awhile there would be a bartender that didnt know how to make anything except a daiquiri, ha. There was never just one bartender, so it wasn't an issue. The shows on the resort were an absolute blast, and the entertainers were very talented. If you enjoy lounging by the pool and drinking, please go and enjoy one of the largest swim-up pool bars I have ever seen. Also enjoy a burger or chicken sandwich while your there. There are trains at the resort with an energized staff, that travels to all the other Grand Palladium complexes, pools, bars, discos, and beaches.

The rooms were amazing. Roomy and classy, with marble everything. Please try and get a beachfront room. The sounds of the waves at night will hypnotize you. The bathrooms were large and had soak tubs and rainfall showers. Request a room with a whirlpool on your balcony, it will change your life!

I would rate this resort an 11 out of 10, and hope to be back soon. You cannot put a price on the memories you will make on vacation. Truly Paradise.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

Fantastic resort. Travelled with wife, 2 year old and 5 month old. Just a wonderful place. i highly recomend it.

Food- not bad at all. We were mostly at the buffet coz of the kids. Went to bamboo(asian) and japanese. So so. Buffets are good.

Drinks- mostly awesome. Wine- very bad.

Beach- very good. pools great.

Best part- salt water pool....dont miss this, it is incredible.

Kids club for over 1 year- great. mostl reports have clubs for over 4 years.

Shows/entertainment- surprisingly good.

Lobby at White sands- WOW.

Some people complained here about walking- we did a lot of that and loved it. its a beautiful place to stroll.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

I absolutely loved the resort was simply amazing it surpassed my expectations. Nicest I've ever stayed in. The food was great, tons of variety seeing as you have so many rest. to choose from. Service was great, rooms always cleaned, maid may have helped herself to our $$ left in our suitcase by mistake $40 missing after breakfast....and by no exaggeration the hotel is HUGE! I'm glad I did'nt bring my 5 yr.old he would not have been patient enough to walk around. I also would'nt recommend the resort to anyone with disabilities or elderly as too much walking is involved even if you use the trolleys. After a week I still got lost:S Mostly positive experinces here.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

Well my husband, my 6 month old and 2 of our close friends visited this resort last April and as soon as we arrived we were greeted with a smile, a drink and a free upgrade to a suit...Both rooms were suits...AWESOME!!!! The rooms were perfect with a living area, TV, mini fridge,balcony, 2 sofas and a crib.....we had our own room with a TV and balcony. It made it so perfect with our son.
Omar was the best bartender. You can find him at Hemingway bar located in the Colonial section...He was our man every night for drinks and he was so good with our son....He is missed...I wish I could take him home with us.
Food was OUTSTANDING! what do you want to eat cause it was there and the A LA Cartes were wonderful....Just book the early cause they go fast. The only bad thing was the Japanese was not very good and very salty...I usually love the Japanese show and food when we go on holiday but this one was a miss.
The beach is best on the Colonial side as well, you can see the fishes ans the water is crystal clear. The salt water pool was cool but were it is located,(rocky) the flag was up a lot due to big waves hitting the rock...but still wonderful. Our room was in the riviera section, so we got to see but not use the Yucatan section for adults only....it looked beautiful but I had a 6 month old so that meant I was banned from it:}
The resort is very nice and everything you want is at you fingertips....that is why you pay the price to go there...They even have Climato but they call it Almato...It tastes great either way.
Playa Del Carmen is 30 minutes away but it is worth the collectivo...Just bring a beer with you and all will be well.
Any questions just ask.

• Stayed April 2009
scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

My husband and I stayed at White Sands between 7 and 17 March 2010, on a Thomson holiday. Our flight from Manchester was delayed by 3 hours which was a bad start to the trip, but was the only negative aspect of the holiday.

The Grand Palladium resort is fabulous - our room was on the top floor in White Sand 56 right between the beach and the pool, I suspect some buildings are quite a long way from the beach/lobby so be prepared to walk or take the train/golf carts available.

The beautiful grounds are the highlight of the place, with iguanas, racoons and little deer popping in and out of the undergrowth. Although the whole resort is huge, there is a feeling of intimacy because of the way the resort has been built around nature.

We spent most of our time on the beach, which is lovely. Sometimes the waves were too big for swimming, but we swam most days. Loads of sunbeds to choose from and plenty of shade if you require that. The beach snack bar was very good and service fast. I took a snorkel and mask, but wasn't really impressed by the fish and the lack of live coral. I was in the Red Sea in October, which takes a lot of beating!

We ate one night in the Ribs restaurant, which wasn't a good experience. We waited ages for our food to arrive and it was extremely poor quality. We never tried any of the other restaurants after that and just went to the buffet, which was always good with loads of choice and fresh food. Breakfast and lunch were excellent also.

The theatre shows at night are wonderful. We never managed to stay awake long enough to go to the show at 10.15pm, but saw all of the 9pm shows. Very professional!

The spa is very beautiful and relaxing - no kids allowed. We both had massages and shiatsu - the treatment rooms were lovely with music and incense, not cheap but not overpriced either.

The ONLY complaint I have about the entire resort is that none of the pools were heated. Although the weather was super hot, I don't like cold water and accordingly we never used the pools - the sea was much warmer.

I would definitely go back to the Grand Palladium and would stay again at White Sand - Colonial/Kantenah was noisy with families and pool games and I liked the quieter White Sand/Riviera resorts. Each to his own though.

Nearly forgot - the staff are all excellent and nothing was too much trouble for them. We tipped at the end of our stay, and this was really appreciated by them.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

This is my first contribution to Trip Advisor which has proven to be a wonderful source of travel guide information over the years. My wife and I and 2 close friends have been travelling to the Mayan Riviera every year for over 10 years. And every year we've stayed at a different resort.

We are often asked which is the best and which is our favorite. Usually I reply, that if I could take all the best features from each, it would be an absolutely unbelievable resort and vacation experience. In the past we've stayed at 3 Iberostars (Tucan when it first opened; The one on Cozumel - my personal favorite; but not my wife's - and the Paraiso). We've also stayed at Barcello Colonial; Dreams Puerto Aventuras; Riu Tequila, Grand Xcaret and another small and disappointing resort that I won't name because they were really nice people who tried their best.

In my opinion all provided great value and terrific service for the most part. But each had its strong points, and not so strong points.

With that said, I would place The Grand Palladium up near the top of that list (although not necessarily on the list of the higher five star resorts to be found in the area). It certainly is comparable to the lower end Iberostars, The Barcello, Grand Xcarat and Dreams Puerto Aventuras.

This is a huge property (comparable in size to the Barcello or maybe bigger). Miles of shoreline, lots of white sand but rocky and reef strewn in sections. Bring your water shoes and enjoy swimming and snorkling in the 80 plus degree water just off the shore.
Also bring your walking shoes and expect a great workout (and to get occassionally lost). Lots of little bridges over the lagoon and water features to cross as well. Also lots of chairs and shade both on the beach and around the pools. Also lots of convenient bars including a great little one on the beach with very tasty snack food (that I would rate as above average).

The resort is actually4 individual resorts (or 5 if you include the Royal Suites. The White Sand and Riviera resorts are to the south and have a massive lagoon surrounded by flowers and natural vegetation. Two small pontoon boats travel back and forth and shorten the long walk from lobby and restaurants to the ocean.

The White Sand is the quiter and smaller of the two but is located closer to the lobby and restaurants. The Riviera is located on the ocean. Great view, great quiet location but a long walk to the lobby and restaurants.

The Royal Suites which are located betwee the two, looked inpressive, but don't know if they would be worth the extra cost. We met a couple from Germany who were staying there and they said they got 12 bottles of liquor given to them for the week. But weren't sure how they could possibly consume it. We told them to drop it off at our room and we would take care of it for them.

The other two lobbies are somewhat like a mirror image of the White Sand/Riviera layout, except there is no central lagoon. They are a little older, but very nice. We actually went to the smaller of the 2 for breakfasts as it was not quite as large and noisy and the one near the White Sand.

You can get to the lobbies easily on the cute little "Italian" train that runs all day and throughout the night taking passengers from a la carte restaurant to restarant and from the two theatres. If you don't use them, it's a long walk anywhere.

One of the stops along the route is the Spa (an unbelievable experience) that is free except for individual services. Make certain to spend some time here.

Recreationally there is everything imaginable on the resort. Good shows in the theatres (Although Barcello's have the best I've seen), music in the lobbies at night, minature golf, a soccer field, sailing, paddle boats and several huge and smaller pools.

Food was good, but not spectacular. Breakfasts terrific, a la cartes were uneven (Brasialian real good, and lots of fun as some of the house specials they serve are "iguana", "El Gato" (cat), monkey, and other made-up names to make the delicious tasting beef brisket, pork and chicken sound even more "exotic". Italian, Chinese and Japanese were disappointing although the prawns and duck in the chinese were very good. Mexican and Mediterranean were both pretty decent.

There are no reservations except for certain upgraded catagories of guests (which I still couldn't figure out). But usually you can get something within about half an hour or so. We were "imperial guests" and were entitled to 5 reservations during the week which was nice in that we could plan our evenings a bit better. Oh and unless it's imported from US you can pretty much avoid the beef (unless it's shredded or Mexican style).

One warning: The wine is not good. Watery and thin. So plan on bringing your own as the wines offered in the restaurants for sale were overpriced. (this compared to Dreams where you could buy a decent bottle for a reasonable price). It was drinkable however unlike the plonk we were served at Iberostar (which used to have great wine). Generally mixed drinks were not too bad. But not a high end selection of premium brands (like those found on Dreams which had above average food and beverages). If you want premium quality liquor (Single Malts, and the like -- plan on bringing your own or buy some in Playa del Carma.

Clealiness on the resort was superior as were the grounds which are the most ecologically rich and well maintained of any resort we've been on (except for Iberostar in Cozumel and maybe the Grand Xcaret - which borders a park and ecological preserve).

Rooms also very clean and service was good. Standard bar was stocked daily with water, beer, and pop.

One feature we did not like, was the Jacuzzi tub located beside the bed without seperate privacy for toilet and shower. Great if your on your honeymoon and you spend most of your time rolling between the bed, the jacuzzi and the shower. Not so great if you want a bit of privacy while you engage in your morning constitutional. And 2 sinks is a must, if you're travelling with a companion who wants to get dressed and made-up every night. I just shaved in the hallway while my wife hogged the sink and the all the mirrors. (just kidding sweetheart).

The staff were all great. Very accommodating. And very appreciative of tips. I didn't see a lot of tipping on this resort. unlike the Barcello and Iberostars where you have to tip to get a decent drink. I usually leave 3 dollars on the pillow every day witha little thank you note in Spanish along with my request for water, extra pop, face cloths of whatever. I've always had very good service in my rooms. Registration was quick and efficient. And the Bell men and on site management staff were very professional, courteous and accomodating.

All in I gave this resort 4 stars (which would be on par with all the other resorts we've stayed at in the region) and place it in the top 3 or 4 we have stayed at.. I'm saving the five for the places we can't quite afford just yet.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

Just returned, literally 5 hours ago from a family trip - 2 adults (43 and 46) and 2 children (6 and 8 years old).

Booked this resort as we got a great deal - 30% less or $2,500 LESS than what we would normall spend on a March vacation in a one bedroom suite. Found the resort to be wonderful and amazing value considering what we spent.

Everything positive that has already been said in other reviews is true.

ROOMS: We have a one bedroom suite in the White Sands, building 59, ground floor. Had a closed bathroom so no issues there. Bathroom was large enough to handle all 4 of us coming and going. Kids slept on the pull out sofabed which is really more of a fouton kind of thing - sponge mattress rather than something with springs. Very comfortable. We asked for an additional set of blankets so the kids wouldn't be fighting and stealing from each other. King bed in master was very hard for us.....needed to take muscle relaxers for the first few nights....after that I guess my muscles and bones adjusted and sleeping was more comfortable. Unfortunately we hadn't thought of asking for mattress pads, etc. as I have since read. Otherwise all worked well and maid and minibar service was wonderful.

RESORT: Very large and can be overwhelming at first. But take the time to explore as there are many many paths and bridges and once you learn them it is amazing all the shortcuts available. DO NOT be dependent on the roadways that the trains take or you will be walking for days!!! LOL....Once you learn the shortcuts you actually feel the resort is much smaller that it actually is!!!

BEACH: Glorious beach - with kids we found we pretty much hung out at the Colonial beach (which is also where the kids club is) - wonderful sandy beach and coral free water in that area. No shade on the beach though but at least that meant there was no fighting over reserved palapas!!! LOL

POOLS: Preferred the colonial as we found it more lush,. we enjoyed the buzz/people watching and again close to kids club, lunch buffet, etc. Yes the water is pretty cold but you get used to it. The hotel does NOT provide floats so bring your own if you wish. My only dislike was that the majority of the pool ares is 5.3 feet deep!!!!! There are shallow and also zero entry areas for kids.....to be honest, my kids didn't have any problems with the depth - it was pretty much only me....LOL

RESTAURANTS: Found them to be excellent for an all inclusive and we have stayed at some pretty upscale resorts - ie Royal Hideaway, The Valentin, etc......and enjoyed the restaurants a lot......except for our last night - second time at the steakhouse and it was honestly pretty awful!!!! So. not sure if the hotel was just too busy (spring beach crowd rush) or if maybe there is an inconsistency problem???? But otherwise we were never disapponted and actually quite impressed. BIG ISSUE: Since we have kids we were at the restaurants no later than 6PM so we pretty much were seated immediately. However if you arrive at 7PM or later be prepared for an HOUR wait OR MORE!!!! No big deal if you are prepared for this as it is just another excuse to kick back and have a drink....but we saw a lot of people - both couples and families with small kids get really upset about it. Still, this system is preferred to us - works much better in my opinion than having an advance reservation system.....can't stand those.....

LOBSTER: We were disappointed but not surprised that that lobster cost extra but considering what we paid for the week, we could have eaten lobster every night and it would have still been cheaper than staying elsewhere. Read the fine print regarding lobster pricing.....lobster if $35 per person HOWEVER they also have a deal that for $75 you get TWO lobsters AND A BOTTLE OF WINE (very good quality too). Probably our most delicious meal!!!!! However, I was still disappointed in the lack of seafood period within the resort - even shrimps were hard to come by. Grouper, Salmon and Mahi Mahi were everywhere - all three of these we aren't too fond of and didn't find that they were cooked with enough flavour.

BUFFETS: Only took in the buffets for breakfast and lunch. Breakfast was excellent at both the Riveria and Colonial buffets!!! Had everything you could imagine and found coffee/tea service to be adequate - some days better than others but no problems. LUNCH WAS A PROBLEM though.....if your clothes/bathing suit/coverup were the slightest way damp you were not allowed into the indoor buffets - and trust me, they do a touch and feel to check LOL. The outdoor buffet by the pool was a disaster!!!! Not enough staff to handle the amount of people - or even tables for that matter. And the food prep area was too small to handle again the volumes of people. We would have to clear, set up the table ourselves - search out cuttlery, napkins, etc....and only got drink service once........so a few times we planned in advance to make sure we didn't swim for at least an hour before lunch and laid out in the sun to be dry so we could do the indoor buffets which were excellent by the way!

KIDS CLUB AND STUFF: Excellent. Was a bit surprised by the lack of kids in the club considering the large amount of kids at the resort.....but it didn't phase my kids and they loved it!!! They loved the girls and loved the activities. They would be very upset with us when we would pull them out to spend time with us. Very well taken care of. I know there have been discussions on TA regarding the safety of the kids club and kids escaping unsupervised....Well, I could see this happening but it would be very difficult - the fence is extremely tall and the latch is at least 5 feet off the ground so little ones would not be able to open themselves....if kids are getting out then it is because a parent may have forgotten to latch the gate behind them. Easy enough to solve if you ask me - the gates should have a latch system that cannot be opened by anyone on the outside and requires the parent to ring a bell for a supervisor to come and open (as I have seen at some other resorts) Kids evening activites are excellent too and one night we left out kids in for the evening so we could enjoy an adult dinner and the kids loved it!!!!

CLIENTELLE: When we arrived the crowd was pretty much of an average of 40 plus, many with kids. However by the time we left, the last few days started brining in a TON of young college kids (spring break?). No problems as they seemed pretty well behaved - although still having fun but we didn't see anything too inappropriate.....however we would NOT come back to this resort or any for that matter during college spring break again simply as it changes the vibe of the resort....Glad that more than half of our vacation was before they started to arrive.

OTHER TIPS:

Bring insulated cups - don't be embarrassed. This was our first time and although initially a bit self conscious, we really enjoyed having them and can't imagine travelling without them anymore. No problems from the bartenders - we just make sure we tip as of course, these insulated cups mean less trips to the bar!

We brought walkie talkies which worked out amazingly well - great when the kids were in the kids club so we could keep in touch, and also if hubby and I were seperated for a bit.

Buy your souvenirs at the hotel shops - exact same item at the airport is 3 times more!!! Know your prices otherwise, even the Colonial evening market prices can be more expensive than in the shop for the exact same item!!!!!

Don't expect to get an oceanview - only a handful of rooms see water even if you are in a building closest to the water. And get a high floor room - sound from rooms above are loud - little feet running, furniture or suitcases shifting, etc.

SUMMARY: We are thrilled with our vacation. Happy kids make a happy vacation and our kids had an amazing time!!! Even regardless, we adults had a great time. Even though there were some small aggrevations, we still had a great time - it isn't perfect anywhere right? For the first time this is a resort where we could have stayed longer - there is so much to do there that if you really wanted to spend some time chilling out AND enjoying their facilities you could easily spend 10 - 14 nights there - ie minigolf, shuffleboard, etc.......

We would definately recommend to our friends FOR A FAMILY VACATION. We would definately return FOR THE SAME PRICE!!! That being said, if the price went up to what we normally spend, then I think we would have to return to our personal favourite which is the Melia in Punta Cana - one bedroom suite in Royal Service category - everything is equivalent to the GP WS but you get so much more in terms of luxury and pampering that isn't available here.

Keep these prices and we will be back again!!!!! I think the price we paid is justifiable considering the lack of pampering in terms of beach and pool drink service, lack of seafood, nice but not luxurious rooms, no room service, etc.

Really great vacation and thanks to all TA posters for helping us choose this resort!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family