“READ THIS!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa

You added Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Oakville, Canada
“READ THIS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

I don't know where to start! I have so much positive feedback about this resort.

Let me start off buy saying don't waste your time reading the negative reviews! I have to admit I was nervous about going to this resort after reading the reviews on tripadvisor. Everything was perfect!

We flew with AirTransat, which we highly recommend. They were very organized, the shuttle coach bus from the airport to the resort was perfect! They even had a AirTransat representative meet with us on our second day to go over any questions we had, information on the resort and day trips that are offered. We had separate check in with welcome drink which is a nice touch! And they had a binder on the AirTransat desk telling us when to be in the lobby for check out/pick up. Easy! Didn't have to worry about a thing! It was all taken care of!

Lets start off with the service! The minute we got to the resort the service was great! We had great service all week! No hiccups! Everyone seemed very helpful and happy to help.

Our room! We had the Imperial Junior Suite building 54 in Whitesands. The room was BIG and VERY clean. This building is the closest to the Whitesands lobby, restaurants and pool. The decor is a little outdated in the room. It definitely needs new couch, TV, and comforter. The design is a little old/outdated. But it was not enough to take away from the room! The cleaners who were assigned to our room were on time, alway's did a detailed job and we had turn down service every night. Nice touch! Thanks!!! Oh wait.....our bar fridge was stock 100% daily with water, beer, and pop.

Restaurants! We really enjoyed the buffet that serviced WhiteSands and Riviera lobby's. Again the service was perfect! The waiters/waitress were always asking us if we needed anything. The food selection is amazing at this buffet. Something for everyone. Alway's fresh and replenished once it was getting low. We had breakfast and lunch at this buffet every day. We liked all the restaurants. The one's we went to......Mexican, Brazilian, Chinese, Ribs And more, Italian, Japanese, and the Steak House. Japanese restaurant is a must! You have to make reservations 24hrs ahead with client services, but it's worth the wait! We had a 1/hr wait for the Italian restaurant and 45min wait for The Steak House. To us this was no big deal. We didn't have kids with us, and we were on vacation, so what's the rush? We just chilled in the lobby and had some drinks. No big deal to us!

Show's/Night Entertainment! Amazing! You have to watch all the show's. Especially Pop Singer's and The Rock Show! There is a lot of hard work put into these show's, and it's very entertaining. I love how the waiter's walk around the theatre taking care of everyone with drinks while we enjoyed the show.

WhiteSands Lobby! This is a big lobby' with a nice size bar. Whitesands had a lagoon and they whole resort is about nature, not disturbing it. I really like this idea and think it's great. You can take a platoon boat for a tour along the lagoon. This is relaxing. We did experience a sulphur/rotten egg smell a couple times(from the lagoon I'm guessing?) but it never lasted!

Pools!! The main pool at the Whitesands is huge! Lot's of room for everyone! We stuck with the Adult pool! This section also has a bar. The employee working at this bar Luis(I believe) is wonderful! Alway's happy and loves talking to the quest.

Kids! We would bring our kids back to this resort. Although we would not stay at the Whitesand section. We would stay at the Colonial/Katanha. This has a great kids club/water park for the kids.

Beach! The beach is also big. There is a beautiful salt water pool in the WhiteSand section you have to check out. The beach is a little rocky in some sections, but overall nice. The resort had a beach party, Fiesta, and Fire show on the beach when we were there. So much fun!!

The resort is HUGE! and has some bridges. There does not have to be a lot of walking if you don't want. You can stay in your section(any of them) and have everything you need. My husband and I preferred to walk around and explore the different lobby's. We did get lost a couple of times, but it was okay because we had all the time in the world. It was vacation!!! Bring good walking shoes and be cautious of the slippery bridges at night and in the morning. If you choose not to walk around, all the lobby's offer a train/trolly to take you around to the different lobby's. We often took this in the evening when we were dressed up for dinner. It was great and convenient, and we didn't wait long for it. I have to say this resort is SO CLEAN! We alway's saw employee's cleaning, day and night!

The Spa! So tranquil!!! If you like the spa environment this is a must! We paid $10 each to spend the day at the spa. They have a infinity pool, hot tub's, steam room, sauna, cold plunge pool, breath taking shower in the change room's that are open to the outside from above. So peaceful! Our only suggestion; the spa needs new chairs! Although they look sleek and modern, they are hard, get very hot when the sun is on them, and they can not be adjusted. We loved our day at the spa. I feel a sleep many times :) For lunch we left, went to the buffet and returned to the spa for the remainer of the day.

I know I'm forgetting something! I just have so much to say, but I can't go on and on.

The suggestions we have for the resort';

* Allow wifi in the whole resort, don't restrict it to the Lobbie's only(by the way, we had no problems with the wifi, alway's in full range in the lobbies)

* Update decor/Tv in the bedrooms

* Invest in plastic wine/champagne glasses so it's not being pored into a plastic cup at the pools(these little things make a difference)

* And keep up the great work! The service is what we hoped for and the resort is so clean!

PS We were approached once about time sharing. We expressed we were not interested and that was it, they were not pushy at all. So don't afraid to say NO!

Go to this resort! We would recommend it to friends and would return. This time with our kids.

Room Tip: Building 54 in WhiteSands section. Close to everything.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Farrah S,

Thank you for your good comments and for the feedback, as our commitment is to provide the best service and attention at all times to our guests, and the way we can do it is to know what our guests like and the things we can enhance.

We are happy to understand that you and your enjoyed your stay, and please, do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything further we can do from this end.

Assistant Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

We recently returned from a one week vacation in beautiful Mexico with family and friends and stayed at this big but very nice resort. Upon check-in our names were not listed on the computer but a short while later, with very courteous and helpful front desk staff, we were given a room in Villa 57ground floor, which ended up being in the best location and very central to the main pool, beach and 24 hr snack bar, plus there was a train stop just a few steps away. Any problem that we did encounter was immediately taken care of and Dany did an excellent job of housekeeping. The groundskeepers were always hard at work but still very friendly. This resort is massive and although I personally did not explore all aspects of it I enjoyed my stay here with my family and friends. We found the food in the buffets to be well marked and very tasty. Seafood night was very good. Our grandkids 13 and 7 always filled their plates with a variety of good things that they found on the menu, especially the donuts, the best yogurt and fruits. We enjoyed four Ala Cartes - Ribs &More, El Dorado, Portofino and especially Sumptuori with Christian and Felippe who were truly entertaining and the dishes prepared were very tasty. My friend who is allergic to seafood was given special treatment and able to enjoy the food as well. The desserts at all of the above were well presented and delicious. Tried a different one at each place. We found the pools to be clean and well taken care of. We always found a place to lounge or sit at the beach and pool area, in the shade or sun. The nightly entertainment staff at both the kids and adults shows did an excellent job and I especially liked the Rock and Roll Night.
The staff at GP White Sand are all very friendly and go above and beyond their call of duties. Here I would like to mention Antonio, the fabulous bartender in our lobby, Giovanni in the Buffett, Pepe, who showed me the way around when I was alone and lost and the VERY BEST driver, Javier Gomez Cruz who was always very courteous and willing to drive us to our room and very prompt at picking us up to take us to the different resorts for our dinner plans. Thank you Javier, we love you, as you made me very happy to not have to wait for the train or walk to meet my friends. YOU made my stay at White Sand much more enjoyable and I would return to this resort.

Room Tip: Villa #57 ground floor, close to the beach, snack bar, pool and lobby. We found it very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear BWaterbaby,

First and foremost, thank you for your good comments and feedback from your last stay with us. I feel glad to realize that you did have the wonderful vacations expected,
We will be happy to welcome you again if you wish.

Thanks again and please let us know if there is anything further we can do and feel free to contact us for your next visit to grant you the best of all attentions.

Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

We stayed two weeks at this resort for a wedding. Were picked up promptly at Cancun by Canada Transfers and had what we ordered as well as the childs seat. 8 people for total with tip and beer, pop and water $110.00
General: As everyone else has said this is a large resort. It took us probably about 4-5 days to get the layout of the resort and find shortcuts. There is a train to take you from lobby to lobby and this is why everyone thinks it's so large because they do not go the same way as if you were walking. We stayed in the White Sands and spent time going back and forth to the Colonial/Katenah for restaurants, childrens pools and entertainment. I wouldn't consider this to be a true handicap accessible hotel because there were quite a few bridges and a bridge you had to walk up stairs to get across. If you went around it was a long way but having said that there were people there in wheel chairs.
Beach: The towel game is played here. The beach is soft white sand with palm trees just about to the shore with lots of chairs and palapas but as you go into the water it is very rocky. There is a place toward the centre of the beach in front of the children's area (Colonial) which is reasonably clear of rocks but it's not very large and everyone goes to that area to swim and so it gets kind of crowded. The upside is in the rocky areas you can snorkel and see lots of fish. If you want peace and quiet hit the north end of the resort.
Rooms: Bldg 56 Room 10 Main level. Garden View We had a junior suite. It was 2 double beds and a sitting area with pullout futon. There was a coffee pot and a fridge which was refilled daily and coffee, sugar, was also refilled daily. We had a fruit basket on arrival and a bottle of tequila.
This was the dampest room I have ever stayed in in Mexico. It got morning sun for a very short period and because it was garden view (jungle) it was extremely damp. We had family on the opposite side so they didn't have the damp problem because they had sun. The sheets at night felt like they came out of the washing machine and went right on the bed. Ask for a room facing south or one on one of the upper floors. The cleaning was hit and miss. The first few days of our stay we had the same lady (we tip) and it was great. After that it was a different person each day and sometimes we wouldn't get facecloths or only 2 towels for 4 people or no toilet paper. Not earth shattering but just the facts. We didn't complain because we didn't feel any of this was worth complaining about. Safe worked fine. There were a few English channels for the news.
Spa tub in bathroom and large walk-in shower.
Food: This is a more personal subject. The buffet at White Sands for breakfast was very good. I could not list everything they have but there was a lot of made to order. Lunch at the White Sands was good but we went to the Colonial once and it was so crowded you could not get a table and I think this is probably because most people with children from all hotels went to the Colonial because that's where the kids club and kids pools were.
I enjoyed the evening buffets also and they were themed.
The alacartes were a matter of personal taste. El Dorado steak the first time I went was really bad but second time was good. Bamboo was bad. Ribs and More was good. Japanese on the special table was ok. (Actually kind of burnt) but the show was good. My dish at Portofino's was lamb and ok but the ones who had ravioli weren't impressed. So as I said it is like anywhere, it depends on the night and your expectations. I think the buffet was good so I prefer not dressing up and just relaxing at dinner. Drinks were different at different bars. I liked the lobby bar at the white sands.
Staff: I have never been to a hotel in Mexico whether a 3 star or 5 that had miserable staff. These one were no different. Lots of smiles and Hola's. Front desk staff was very friendly.
The only one I came across that I would avoid is one of the reservation clerks in the white sand. I wish I remembered her name but she was extremely unfriendly. Believe if you meet her you will know it.
We are not all inclusive travellers but this wasn't bad. The only think I can say I didn't like was the distance to everything. If you are a person who likes to stay on the resort and doesn't want to leave this is the place for you. If you like to see other people and towns this was about 30 minutes from Playa del Carmen and 10 or so from Tulum and Playa Averturas. You can go outside the front gate and a collectivo (white van) will stop and pick you up or you can take a cab. Because we had 8 people going to Playa it was 100. round trip. For 4 it's 50. If you can take a collectivo.
Suggestions: There are a couple things I would like to have seen. A daily activites sheet popped under your door at night or in the morning (like on cruises). There are activies boards but we found some to be wrong and/or not updated.
Also perhaps a singles meet and greet say on a night after the majority of flights come in. We travelled with a single and it would have been nice if they could have met people for dancing etc.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear AlbertaLovetravel,

First and foremost, thank you for your comments about your holidays in our resort and for taking the time to share your observations. About the situations that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations.

We are working every day in order to improve our services and we really appreciate all comments that help us to be a better hotel.

Thanks again and please, feel free to contact us if you decide to visit us again, so we can do our best to take care about your reservation and I’m sure you will appreciate the improvements in our service.

Muscatine, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

This was my first experience outside of the US. It was the most beautiful places. The staff was wonderful. The food and drinks were great!! Can't wait to go back!!! I know several people from my hometown that have visited and not one has ever said anything bad about the Grand Palladium!!!

Room Tip: Try to make dinner reservations as soon as you can other wise you may have to wait a while to get in...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Britt G,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your opinion.

Have a nice day!!

With best regards,

Stoney Creek, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

The beach was stunning. You can choose a beach with coral to snorkel or a swim beach. Lots of pools to choose from that are clean and close to bars. This resort is Eco friendly qnd lots of tame wildlife... Always something to see. Birds, lizards, chuk te, and raccoons, they have designated spot for flamingos and gators :-). The shows at night are quite good as well. The singing and impersonations are amazing. The pirate show.... wow... Never had better entertainment. The food is good too lots of choices. It's overwhelming and has lots of restaurants to choose from but during low season only a few are open and they switch off nights they are open but it's still great ... The buffets are great too ... This resort was extremely big but it gives you lots of choices to wander and see the other ones... They have a saltwater pool as well that right by the ocean and fish swim in it. And be sure to bring your snorkelling stuff here as well... You can also take a catamaran for free for 2 hours but u must know how to drive one. They won't take you out ... They also have lots of tours available and very organized. They pick and drop u off at ur lobby. And playa del Carmen is a good one but if you love to shop. Take a longer tour or a cab ... 3 hour tour wasn't long enough ... Go to coco bongo as well a great time and like a big dance party till 5 am watching impersonators and free drinks. Also if ur into history and ruins. Coba is amazing ..... Tulum as well. Chichinetza is a bit farther but a whole day spent learning about Mayan culture food and people. Swimming in an open cenote.. And a splash of legit 100% agave down the throat. It's awesome ... Make sure you pay attention to your tour guide. I had Rudy. He was amazing ....with Mayan adventures .. Staff was really nice and go above and beyond and always saying hi even when I was tired and didn't want to. It made my day.... 4 resorts in one. This place is awesome

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Ilovegrk,

Thank you for taking the time to share highlights of your vacation experience with us.
We are delighted you had an amazing stay and enjoyed our service, spacious rooms, beautiful beaches and our food and beverage services.
We look forward to hosting you for another GRAND vacation. See you soon.

Regards,
Assistant Manager
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

I must say I don't understand how anyone could complain about the rooms, food, grounds or staff of this over the top resort.

We arrived on February 7th (8 hours late thanks to a part malfunction on the plane) to a beautiful, warm and welcoming lobby staffed with nice, helpful and understanding people. The staff do their very best to speak English and if your patient, they are more than helpful.

There are too many staff to mention that went above and beyond but we stayed in the Mayan Suites room #5510. The room was located on the lagoon amongst 12 suites. The room was breathtaking, open concept room, separate bathroom with Jacuzzi tub and outside shower (see pics attached) that once you were used to showering outdoors, was a nice touch to an already perfect room. Air conditioning worked perfectly, housekeeping ( I apologize I don't remember the name - could have been Miscael?) took care of our room twice per day. Although these rooms might seem weathered a bit on the outside, while we were there, the construction men were busy replacing a roof and deck boards on the first suite - they are trying really hard and things do wear out!

The resort is very large but you can make this as small (by sticking to the section your booked in) or as large (by venturing out to each lobby and taking a walk or ride around on the train or boat). They have a train that picks up at each lobby about every 15 mins and a pontoon boat (we never took a ride) that goes from each section of the resort - it would be a great way to see around the entire resort.

The pools were sparkling clean every day and we personally witnessed someone coming around every day to clean the tiles around the pool. The pools were very large and spread out with lots of chairs to be found at each pool no matter what time of the day you arrived there. We enjoyed the fact that there was an adult only pool option and spend every day there having the best drinks made by Luis and he was very professional and courteous and works very hard!

We are creatures of habit so we pretty well spent the mornings at the adult pool and buffet for breakfast. Dinners at the a la cartes and then off to the White Sands lobby for great drinks, service and music. There are two staff who work in the lobby bar at White Sands and I am so sorry to not have remembered their names but the young man with the soft voice and the lovely lady with her hair pulled back and nice smile, made it all the while worth coming back every night. My husband and I played cards there every night so they will remember who we were!

The grounds were groomed to perfection - we witnessed staff trimming, pruning, etc every day. Hard work shows because the place is beautiful with flowers, bushes, trees and plants. The added touch of iguanas who obviously also enjoy the scenery was also enjoyable once you got used to seeing them everywhere. They don't really bother with people.

The food at this resort was outstanding and beyond our expectations. We only booked 3 a la cartes when we arrived because we enjoyed the buffet at the last Palladium Hotel we stayed in but after having the quality of food at the first 3 a la cartes, we decided we needed to try more. The Japanese was the best because it came with a show which was very entertaining. Portofino, Mare Nostrum, Ribs and more, Rodizio (another entertaining and unique dining experience) were excellent and the staff that worked in all of these restaurants were both professional and kind.

The beach at this resort was our least favorite part of the resort. The ground was hard and the signage to shuffle in the water for stingrays was enough to keep me out of the ocean for sure. The view, however, was beautiful and there were plenty of people enjoying the beach and ocean swimming but I was too terrified to try.

We did not use the salt water pool so we cannot comment but we did walk down to look at it and the concept is quite nice and there were people there who seemed to enjoy swimming and lounging at this pool.

Palladium Resorts seem to be a step above most with their unique décor, added touches and staff performance. They should be very proud of what they offer and their staff seem very happy to be a part of that.

Room Tip: The mayan suites are centrally located and quick walk to lobby, restaurants, pools, etc.
Dear Michelle M

First and foremost, thank you for your excellent comments about your stay. We really appreciate the feedback from our visitors, especially when referring to our staff and the service that we are providing, because the attention to details is the most difficult but also valuated thing in this business. It is very heartwarming to realize that our staff shares our passion for this and we will make sure to transmit these congratulations to our team in order to motivate them to keep such a nice commitment.

Thanks again and please, do not hesitate to contact us for any further comment or for your next visit in order to make the proper arrangements and fulfill your expectations.

Asisstant Manager
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We returned from a 2 week stay at the Palladium (Jan26-Feb 9), this time staying in a Mayan suite on the lagoon at the White Sands (5508)...this was our 5th stay at the Palladium and, obviously, since we keep going back, we can't say enough good things about this hotel!

Since we have been going there for many years I can say that the upkeep has been excellent...as with any large property where there is sea air, heat and humidity there are going to be cracks, etc....but maintenance does a great job fixing things quickly. We had two issues with our room and they were fixed fast.

We have heard people complain about the walking, and yes if you have mobility issues the resort is vast.... but if you're eating that much I say a walk is good for you...Lord knows we needed a walk each day! Also, the beds are little hard; as others have said, but you adjust quickly, not something that will ruin your holiday believe me.

Each lobby has a different vibe each night so you can have a mellow guitarist or a full on cover band...from quiet to rocking, find your groove and enjoy. You can easily get between lobbies with the train or golf cart, so no worries. Also, try and make fiends and talk to people...we met some amazing folks from all around the world.

Don't complain about the smoking.... if you don't smoke, you can get away from it easily in the breeze in the lobby or beach or pool or go to the no smoking bar. If you do smoke, you can smoke in the lounges, beach, pool, etc....not the restaurants which I appreciate.

It is my personal belief, and may not be yours, that you should tip. Bring a few dollars each night and acknowledge good service when it is received. Hey you would do it at home right?

In regard to room preference, sure everyone has there "ideal" building" but don't get hung up on...no matter where you a re you will enjoy it and it will be great.

While all of the people of Palladium are great I would like to thank the following people for making our vacation great.... Laura Lopez, Paula Motato, Anotonio Parrado, Banesa Burque Antelo, Joaquin from the Travel Club whom we met in Jamaica…it was great to see him! Marlene at the White Sands concierge desk for all of her help, Antonio, Jesus and the White Sands bar staff for so much fun!, Santiago at the Front Desk for all the help during our maintenance issues.

We are also a same sex couple and we are treated the same here as we are in Canada...if you are in the same boat you need have no fear of any judgment or issues here.

In closing I would also like to just remind some travellers of common courtesy...cue my rant...Just because you have paid for an all inclusive and your food and booze is included does not mean that courtesy goes out the window. Your wristband is not a pass to be a jerk. Say please and thank you, wait in line, don't get upset if you have to wait 30 minutes for dinner, etc.... you would never behave like a self entitled child at home in these situations so why do it on holiday? The people at this resort work hard and do everything they can to make sure you are relaxed and having fun.... just remember your ps and qs

If you have any questions send me a message, I would be happy to oblige. Trust me, you need not look any further than this fantastic resort and I’m counting the days to our next trip.... enjoy!

Room Tip: If you have the means, upgrade to a Mayan Suite, the outdoor shower is the best!
Dear Mooshy_choosky,

Thanks a lot for your excellent comments about your last vacations with us and for such a delightful description of your experience at the Grand Palladium. For us is really significant the feedback from our guests and is heartwarming to realize that our dedication is in the right path.
All mentioned colleagues thank you for being a great guest and will be a pleasure to see you again at Gran Palladium.

Thank you again and please, if there is anything further we can do just let us know. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back!

Kind regards,

Assistant Manager.

Been to Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!