We stayed at this resort for the first time recently. We did our research and thought it a good choice for our vacation and it was.
So what are the three experiences that I am describing? There is an external and an internal experience as well an eating experience. and they were all of different quality.
Firstly, the external experience; by that I mean everything outside of our rooms. I would award that 5 stars. The White Sands is a part of a complex of resorts that really act as one. The outside environment was really attractive and well looked after. The pools were extensive and interesting to look and large and not crowded. The beach was wonderful; long white sandy beaches stretching as far as the eye could see, the sea turquoise and palms growing in the sand providing shade and beauty....beautiful and exactly what I was looking for. Actually, it was better than I was expecting! The sports facilities were superb and the lobby areas are open and very comfortable and attractive and offer free wifi, yes, its expensive everywhere else. We spent most of our time on the beach, reading, gazing, snorkeling and swimming and walking. My favorite activity was going there early in the morning about 8am, getting a freshly made coffee at the Punta Emila beach bar and sitting on the beach lounger gazing at the sea, with few other people there at that time.
Second experience: The restaurants were varied in quality. The buffets were OK, quite good food but a little like a corporate staff restaurant. One can also eat in other restaurants in the evening on a first come first served basis but long trousers are needed and sleeved tops for men. The worst by far for food was the Asian restaurant; I imagine that they had not bought an Asian cookbook as the food was not really Asian at all. Satay was white tasteless chicken with a sticky sauce to dip it into. The beef red curry was really a stew with a slightly spicy gravy and the beef tough, gristly and not properly cooked; disgusting! the place was nice though. The best restaurant we visited was el Dorado which was really good: good food, environment and service. Followed by the Italian restaurant, also good with a nice outside part to the restaurant. Generally, we all liked the food, the drinks and the service.
The third experience and the worst was the "internal world", that is the rooms and service there. The rooms are brown and drab, not a bad size but with a very uncomfortable cheap bed and an incontinence sheet over the mattress, a bit like sleeping in your cot or crib when you were younger or an opportunity to consider your very old age! Every move in the bed caused a crinkling and crackling sound all night long, so we did not sleep well there. I had to chase the maid in the morning for sugar for my in room coffee, at other times for towels that were nor replaced and missing bath robes. You are told in the literature in the room that you will be charged if any of these things are missing. The balconies were nice though.
So in conclusion: if you like the outside world and experience on your vacation and don't care too much about your room, you will love this place, the food is good and plentiful as are the drinks. If you think you will spend time in your room, I would look else where such as the Mayan resorts who have great outdoor environments and beautify comfortable rooms to lounge around in.
I must say that we really did enjoy our vacation here as the outside world was so good, as were all the people looking after us. I think we would go back.
Therefore, this place gets 3.5 stars from us but I will have to award it 4.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa is located on a spectacular, private Caribbean beach-front complex that boasts of 800 meters of white, fine sand and turquoise blue waters. Guests of the Grand Palladium White Sand are invited to use the facilities provided by the adjoining Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, the Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, and the Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa (excluding the Royal Suite facilities). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Tingo, Travelocity, Priceline, BookIt.com, BookingOdigeoWL and Despegar.com so you can book your Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Palladium White Sand Hotel Akumal
- Grand Palladium White Sand Resort And Spa
- Palladium White Sands
- Grand Palladium White Sands Resort
- Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico