“Was nervous but turned out well!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa

You added Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Brandon, Canada
“Was nervous but turned out well!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

After reading reviews here I was a bit nervous because people either loved it or hated it! We had a late check in so no delay in getting checked in. We were told we had been upgraded to the Riviera Suites, had been warned about this happening and it wasn't good.(made me even more nervous as I was the one who booked this resort for everyone) When we got to our rooms we were very surprised they were great! It was clean and huge, we apparently got the Governors Suits! The next day toured the place on our own and were very pleased with the whole resort. It was quit relaxing and clean.
The food was a bit of a disappointment on our first dinner reservation. But it went uphill from there. The meals seem to get better.The staff were great we had quit a few laughs with them.
The only thing I would say is negative about this resort is the inconsistencies. For it having the high star rating it has it is very inconstant. I know this sounds petty but beds not always turned down, coffee not left in the room, dirty dishes not taken away, these things didn't happen every day but there was always one or another happening. Also the fridge did not keep drinks cold.
The beach, yes, there are rocks but we just wore our water shoes and were fine the water was beautiful well worth the rocks!
Would I go back probably not but I wouldn't discourage people from going either. Overall it is a nice resort.

Room Tip: I strongly recommend you upgrade to have reservations as there are sometimes up to 2 hours of a wai...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Antonio P, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Rosa H,
Thank you for coming to our Resort, I appreciate your good comments and I hope you visit us soon.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Polish first
Maywood, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I went there with my girlfriend and my family. We enjoyed this place from arrival to departure. Check-in was a breeze, welcomed by a smiling young lady. We were early and had to wait till 3pm for our room so we were directed towards the buffet to have lunch. After lunch we were ready for our rooms and a very friendly young man who drives the shuttles helped us with our luggage and drove us to our individual rooms. The service was fantastic, food was wonderful something for everyone. The buffet was always fresh, the a la carte restaurants were fantastic, we tried all of them. The grounds are very clean and the guys are always cleaning.The size of this resort did not bother us at all, we loved the walk. The pools very nice a lot of entertainment going on. The beach was gorgeous. Other then the view from the salt water pool, was not a big fan of it. One suggestion to this resort, stop watering down your alcohol. Overall we enjoyed this resort, and would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear FlyinCUN,
Thank you for your review, I'm happy you liked our resort.
Just one thing, we don't water any alcohol. We have sort of choice of national and international drinks and we even have Premium alcohol in some of our bars. You can ask any of our waiters if you prefer your drink "double" or with less alcohol but you can be sure we don't manipulate or water any of our drinks.
Sometimes people keep the same drink for a long time and the ice melts (the caribbean weather helps with that...)

Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We visited the resort 2/24 - 3/1, 2013. Our children are both 12 years old. Overall, it was a fantastic resort for our family.
- We were in Villa 57 - a perfect location. We were right between the pool and ocean. I highly recommend asking for this location. The resort is HUGE. If you aren't in a good location, be ready to walk, walk, walk. They have staff driving golf carts and they will take you from place to place. However, you can't always find one.
- The buffet was average. A really large selection. I don't recommend going when it first opens as most of the hot food was cold. Breakfast was by far the best meal of the day at the buffet. The made to order omelets were fantastic. Don't forget to tip a buck or two here and there. They really appreciate it.
- We ate at the Japanese, Chinese and Italian restaurants. The first two were WONDERFUL. After waiting an hour after ordering our food, we walked out of the Italian restaurant. The service was horrible and drunk people were stumbling all over the place.
- The main pool was fantastic. It isn't deep and the kids could swim all over without us worrying about them. There was no problem finding loungers.
- My kids loved feeding the fish every day, seeing the alligators and taking the boat ride around the resort.
- The beach was great. Rocky at one end and really smooth at the other. We found lots of coral. Beware of jellyfish and sting rays. We weren't warned about this until our second to last day. We didn't see any though.
- The beach restaurant was great for snacks. We loved the jalapeno poppers. There were weddings going on almost every day and were fun to watch from a distance. PARENTS - some guests have no problem sunbathing topless. Actually, one woman was literally posing for an hour topless while were sig other took pictures.
- Lots of guests smoked. This was annoying.
- The rooms were average. The bathroom was a lot better than the sleeping area. The floors were never mopped and were really dirty. We left tips at the beginning but it didn't get us anywhere so we stopped.
- We did an excursion with Lomas (sp). They were in the lobby. A terrible experience. The trip they recommended was not age appropriate for our kids. Nobody had a good time.
- The resort is 1 hour from the airport and 1 hour from shopping. A good location.

Overall, a really nice trip with few exceptions. Don't stay here if you hate to walk. However, stay here if you like variety. You certainly won't get bored. The staff were very friendly and anxious to provide excellent customer service.

Room Tip: Villa 57!!!! Don't leave any food in the room. Ants will be everywhere. There is a fridge in...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear JSW4132,
Thank you for your review, it is nice to see that you had a good experience in our Resort. I also liked the picture of our Cocodrile "Marcos", he lives in the Riviera Lobby section, I recommend to visit him.

Nova Scotia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

This was our fifth visit to the Mayan Riviera but our first to the Palladium. We obviously love the location but I was a little nervous about staying at such a large resort as we both prefer smaller resorts that we find a bit more intimate. At White Sands we found exactly what we were looking for. We spent most of our time at the White Sands pool where we enjoyed the music and entertainment provided by the entertainment team. The pool was beautiful and really big allowing you plenty of room to swim. There was never a large line up for drinks at the swim up bar and we could always find chairs at any point of the day. No towel game here! We checked out the Colonial pool too and found it much busier which can be good or bad depending on your tastes. The beach was lovely although we had high winds which prevented us from using the water sports as we had hoped. The only day we actually got snorkelling was the last day of our trip and found the snorkling to be very good, saw large schools of fish. We ate at the buffet at White Sands and Colonial as well as 4 of the a la cartes. Favourite was the Japanese, least favourite was Ribs and More. Most of the time we just walked right in, only had to wait at the Japanese restaurant. They just gave us a beeper and we went and had drinks in the bar. We found the servers at the White Sands to be extremely friendly and helpful. It wasn't that they were less friendly on the Colonial side, just that it was so busy they did not have time to stop and chat like the others did. We went to at least one show per night and enjoyed them all. I can't believe how hard these people work! The resort was always clean and folks cleaning around the clock. Room was very nice and maid service was great. I had an issue with the pillows and the maid actually came to check on me the next day to see if I was happy with the new pillow she brought me.
TIPS
Drinks at the lobby bars and the restaurants, in our opinion, were better than drinks at the pool.
Try speaking to your waiter or server and you will find you meet many new friends who are eager to hear about you and your country.
Our room was perfectly located - villa 57. Just steps from the pool and beach.
Figure out the shortcuts as soon as you can, will save lots of walking.
Check out the spa, it was really nice and you don't have to have a treatment to use the pool or gym. Although the treatment was really nice!
If you want to take the collectivo, walk to the Colonial lobby as it is closer to the road and an easy walk from there.
Check out the White Party, one of the evening activities. We had a blast! Danced under a full moon on the beach until we literally dropped.

Overall impression - what made this place stand out was the people. We had many great conversations with bartenders, maids, front desk, etc. The entertainmnet staff were wonderful, left feeling like we had made friends. Everyone takes pride in their jobs and seem happy to be there. This is the first time I have ever said, this is one place I would return to again. ( I usually never repeat hotels as there are so many to try). Go and enjoy, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Villa 56 or 57 was close to both pool and beach.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Antonio P, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear FRENCHENGLISH,
Thank you for your review, I totally agree with your recommendation to visit the spa and why not pamper yourself with a massage.
Please come back soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Our family just returned from the Grand Palladium White Sand Resort and Spa. Overall, we were very happy with the hotel and the staff. Most of the staff we encountered were friendly and accommodating. On my first day, I lost my iPod shuffle in the lobby. It slipped out of my pocket. When I returned just a few minutes later, it was gone. Amazingly a staff member at the front desk found it and handed it in to security where I retrieved it from lost and found! I have heard that theft it a problem at these resorts but I encountered a completely different experience. THANK YOU WHITE SAND!

Breakfasts and lunches at the resort were excellent but dinners were not as good. I'm giving the resort a 4 star rating instead of 5 because of this and the extra wait time it took to finally get our room. It wasn't the longest wait we've had but when check in time is at 3:00 PM, the room should be ready by 3:00 PM. We sat in the lobby waiting for it from 2:30 on and when 3:40 finally arrived, we were given our room key only to discover the room was not ready when we arrived at it. The maids were still in there cleaning and because the rooms are all tile, they washed them for us. Nice, but our youngest son fell and slipped on his back not knowing the floors were slippery!

If you're thinking about visiting this resort, I would definitely say GO! Just don't expect 5 star dining at night. Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed the food but the dinners could be better. Presentation was always excellent, just the flavor and choice of beef was to be desired.

The pools at the resort are kept in immaculate condition! You constantly see staff cleaning the pools. The bars were all great with very friendly staff. I have included a shot of the Activity Pool in my review. This was a long walk from our room but a great place for the kids.

The rooms are always kept very clean with great service! We had three rooms for our group (we went down with my in-laws and brother-in-law) and while our kids room Air Conditioner did not work, it didn't seem to bother them.

This resort is HUGE and shares it with 3 other hotels that make up one big complex...the Kantenah, the Colonial and the Riviera. We stayed in the White Sand Resort and were not disappointed. To move around you can walk but taking the train or shuttles will get you there less fatigued.

What's nice about the resort are the wild animals all around that are great for the kids. We saw Spider Monkeys, Pink Flamingos, many wild birds, Central American Agouti, Racoons, and many many many iguanas! There are even some Banana trees along the path I was able to point out to my kids.

Make sure to check out the SPA while you're down there and hit the Sports and Activity Centre for a break from the pool. While you're at it, head over to one of the Mayan Ruins. My wife and I did the Xichen Itza tour and Natural Pool and was the highlight of our trip!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Darren S,
I appreciate your good comments regarding your recent stay with us. It is always good to hear when a customer liked the Hotel and our services.
It will be fantastic to see you soon back here.

Southern Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Finally found a keeper!! I’m typing this in the Palladium White Sands resort lobby after an amazing two-week stay. The resort is located on the Yucatan peninsula south of Cancun, and is roughly halfway between Playa del Carmen and Tulum. In reality there are five Palladium resorts on-site: Kantenah, Colonial, White Sands, Riviera and Royal Suites. It’s huge, but it all works together really well. This vacation has been the closest thing to perfect that I can imagine. It’s really hard to impress me. I’m a married, middle-aged, generally grumpy white guy from Canada.

Here goes:

Room: Imperial Suite. Perfect, CLEAN, quiet, smelled great, big living room, two flatscreen TVs, king bed, perfect pillows (for my taste), two balconies, Jacuzzi tub for two, all marble and granite… Think lifestyles of the rich and famous. The mini-bar is stocked daily. Our suite, building, and resort grounds were always spotless. There’s no elevator, so request your floor accordingly.

Service: Best I have received. Ever. Anywhere. Impeccable attention to detail and an obvious commitment to a great vacation for each guest. Friendly and attentive staff throughout the resort made every moment of every day a real pleasure. Special thanks to Abigail and Marguerita at the White Sands Concierge Desk. They always had a warm welcome with genuine big smiles, and their sense of humor, playfulness and professionalism made me feel like a welcome old friend every time I attended their desk to book dinner or ask a question. (Hey, Palladium – I recommend requiring all your customer-service people to watch these two in action). Other kudos go to Buffet hostess Alondra and to Alexander, our favorite waiter (and coconut ice-cream connection). I should mention I was even impressed with the inexpensive laundry service that did a great job getting that pesky stain out of my favorite t-shirt!

Walking: Yes, it’s a huge five-resorts-in-one campus, but there’s an excellent series of paving-stone roads and walkways with regular people-mover trains and golf carts to get you where you need to go. If you’re walking, chances are that one of the carts will stop and offer a ride. This *never* happened at the other resorts we’ve stayed at. See “service” above :) You can ask to be placed in a building near to whatever you’d prefer to be near to. We were in building 53 and found it perfectly located near the spa, lobby, food and transportation to elsewhere on the resort. If you use the lobbies as landmarks, you’ll very quickly find your way around.

Critters: There’s an impressive array of wildlife including all types of birds, friendly raccoons, and the rodents of unusual size that appear to be the unholy union of chinchillas and jackrabbits. There’s also an extensive series of koi ponds. Kids love to watch and feed the giant fishes. The beach and salt-water pool are teaming with all types of ocean fish (see “Beach” below). There are marsh crocodiles (in large outdoor enclosures) and pink flamingos (in different outdoor enclosures). You’ll see pelicans and other seabirds diving for fish among the swimmers and snorkelers at the beach. Add the iguanas and geckos and… you get the idea. You may get a mosquito bite or two during your stay.

Food: Best I’ve had at a resort so far. The only low point for me was the Japanese a-la-cart “Sumtuori” where I sat through a lackluster teppanyaki show that produced a weird-tasting dinner. The other a-la-carts were great. The Mediterranean one had the best crème Brule I’ve ever had (!) The buffets were great. It was very reassuring to see the lead chefs regularly checking temperatures and presentation. Each buffet changed theme daily and the food in them ranged from good to amazing. I didn’t try every dish, so your mileage may vary. The buffet breakfast chefs will cheerfully whip up a custom omelet or some custom fruit-filled hotcakes. Fresh fruit is varied and plentiful.

Beach: Best beach I’ve seen at a resort. Ever. Maybe second only to the unreal postcard-perfect beach at Tulum. The resort has powder-soft white sand on a huge reef-protected crescent beach and offers some really interesting snorkeling. There are lots of beach chairs, but if you show up at noon you may need to walk for a while to find an empty one. If you’ve seen the online pictures I can confirm that yes, the ocean really is that amazing turquoise color. Take the opportunity to snorkel (free equipment). You’ll see all types of colorful saltwater fish, stingrays, little swordfish, etc. If the waves worry you, try the excellently designed saltwater pool. It’s completely protected from the waves, and has most of the open-ocean fish. If you’d like to swim with the sea turtles you can either take the collectivo (local bus - $cheap) or a cab (around US$20 each way) to the beach at Akumal 6km to the south. The bigger turtles ignore snorkelers. The little ones are friendly and curious.

Children: Palladium has gone out of its way to set just the right balance here. There are adults-only buildings, an adult-only pool, special daytime clubs for kids and juniors, and the a-la-carts rotate adults-only nights. If you love, hate, or brought kids there’s a good time waiting for you. One thing you may or may not care about is that the beaches are federal territory so topless sunbathing is technically permitted there, but I saw none. It’s a family-friendly place, except for the topless-allowed adults-only pool.

Amenities: The resort is huge and has pools, bars and beaches to suit any taste. The lobbies and sports bar have free wi-fi, but I try go on vacation to get away from it all, not stay electronically tethered to it. There’s a US$35 Segway tour that takes you around the entire resort and even shows you the hidden bar, secret pool, in-resort cenote, salt pool and private beach areas. I’d recommend it to anyone who wants to quickly tour the entire resort in just over an hour. If you’ve ever wanted to drive a Segway, now’s your chance. They’re really cool and though I had no incident, two of the people in our group experienced what pilots call “controlled flight into terrain” (they’ll be OK).

Spa: Wonderful. Beautiful facility. Relaxing and classy. It’s mostly free to use including the outdoor spa pool area and indoor water circuit, steam rooms, saunas, and a very well-appointed gym (weights, treadmills, elliptical…). The extra-charge spa treatments are delivered with style and very reasonably priced.

Surprises: There’s sales tax on “services” so don’t be surprised by a small impuesto (tax) added to laundry or spa services. I was personally surprised to learn that the big iguanas can swim almost as fast as me. Don’t ask. I’m just sayin’.

Timeshare: Yes, there’s a Palladium-specific program. No, they’re not intrusive about it. They carefully say “it’s not a timeshare, it’s a travel club” but as usual, the devil is in the details, so it may or may not be something that works well for you. I didn't bother with the presentation.

Tips: Tips here are not included, so bring some 20 & 50 peso or $1 & $5 US bills for tipping. We tipped a few dollars under the pillow each morning for the cleaning staff and likewise for a good server, helpful bellboy, or driver that went out of his way to pick us up. These amounts seemed about right, and were always appreciated. Leave a tip in the mini-bar fridge with a short note saying what type of drinks you’d like – you’ll be glad you did :) The staff work very, very hard for their tips.

Language: Some travellers seem to forget where they are, so here’s a reminder… This resort is in Mexico. The staff is from Mexico. They speak Spanish. Some of the staff *only* speak Spanish - mainly the housekeepers, groundskeepers and maintenance workers that quietly tend to the manicured grounds and immaculate buildings. The staff you’ll usually interact with also speak English at a level appropriate for their jobs. You *may* find a desk clerk or concierge who also knows a bit of some other language. Do not ever EVER be the arrogant idiot that gets grumpy or dismissive with staff because they’re not fluent in your language. My Spanish is truly terrible, but the staff was gracious, helpful, and kind and always appreciated my attempts to speak their language. Clicking your tongue or rolling your eyes because they don’t speak French or Klingon or Whatever won't make you any friends.

In closing: My only suggestions would be for the resort to dissuade people from playing the towel game (claiming a beach chair in the morning and not using it until the afternoon), and to do a better job with the Japanese a-la-carte. With those said, when planning our next vacations we might get adventurous and try different Palladium resorts in other countries, but from now on when we choose to vacation in the Riviera Maya area I can’t see us staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: Choose a building near your interest - beach, lobby, spa, food, pool. Email the resort for suggestio...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BitTrix,
It took me a couple of days to finish reading your review.. hehe but it really worth it.
My favourite part was the "language" explanation. Unfortunately not all the people thinks like you. I just have good words to our staff and I can guarantee you that they do a hard work and they always deserve to be respected.
Thank you for your review, I'm sure it will help many future visitors to understand how our Resort is.
Please come back soon.

Brampton (Toronto), Ontario, CANADA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Hola: My husband, Bob, and I stayed at the White Sand from Jan. 24 to Feb. 3, 2013. We were in Jamaica a year ago at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton and we were so impressed at how we were treated that we decided to vacation at a Grand Palladium resort in 2013. We flew Air Transat, arriving about noon from Toronto, Ontario. The one and a half bus ride to the resort was very comfortable. Our room was not ready til 3pm. Our bags were left at the hotel entrance but we were dressed for Mexico and our swimwear was in the wheeled carry-on that we had with us while we explored the area. We walked to the beach then had a buffet lunch. Back at reception we were driven to our building (58) and our requests were met with the top floor and (partial) ocean view. The room was spacious. Every night our beds were turned down with a couple of wrapped chocolates on our pillows. Our room was cleaned while we were at breakfast and every couple of days we had a "towel animal" on our bed. The fridge was stocked daily with our preferences. We ate a la carte most nights...hitting the steakhouse and ribs n more twice. The buffets were huge and awesome...food varieties were endless...even special milks (lactose free, rice milk, etc.), espresso and latte coffees and ice cream machine. We belong to a gym at home in Brampton and we tried out the gym and spa at the resort 3 times but the entire resort is so large that we got our workouts just walking from one place to another. We spent our days at the adult pool...the pool bartender, Ernesto, was very friendly and he did his job well! There is a waterway throughout the resort and a 12 seater flat-bottom boat will take you on a sightseeing trip of the resort. Unfortunately the boat was not operating the last few days of our visit. There are bridges over the water (about 20 steps up, a few steps across and then 20 steps down) leading to different areas and tall enough for the boat to pass under. The beach is beautiful. The white sand feels like flour. The beach does not slope so the walks were effortless. There was never a shortage of lounges. There are small stingrays under the sand in the shallow water but posted signs warn you about stirring up the water as you walk. The restaurant, Punta Amelia, is on the beach. It is a great snack bar by day and a fabulous sit down seafood restaurant at night. We did not encounter the Coati (raccoon-like animals with long striped tails) at Punta Amelia but there were a couple in front of our building. At the same time there were four regular raccoons and another animal...about the size of a rabbit, brown, short front legs and no tail. I was impressed with the fish and duck feeding boxes that are on the railing along the waterway. I also fed these pellets to the little (wild) cats that visited the hotel lobby. The boxes are also for the large Coi fish pools. All in all we were very impressed with this beautiful resort (White Sand, Riviera, Colonial and Kentenah). A friendly and knowledgeable staff helped in making it a comfortable vacation and memorable wedding anniversary (thanks again for the beautiful fruit tray, bottle of wine and tequila). My husband and I are retired and found this resort too large for us but we are looking into the G.P. in Puerto Vallarta for 2014. Hasta luego, Candace and Bob

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Vallartacat,
Thank you for sharing your experience in our Resort. I will pass your good comments to Ernesto, he will be very happy to hear from you.
Please come back soon,

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Been to Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!