“Great time at the Palladium” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa

You added Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
alberta
“Great time at the Palladium”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This was our second experience at a Grand Palladium - our first being in Jamaica a few years ago. It was a fantastic resort! If you don't like large resorts, this is not the place for you, but we like to have options of different pools, bars and restaurants so it was perfect for us. there is a little train and golf cart shutlles readily available for those that can't get around on their own. With the selection of Ala Carte restaurants, we only ate at the buffet once for supper. their beeper system instead of reserving a certain time worked great for us as we were never sure how long our swim up pool bar sessions would last each day. Rooms were spacious and clean and service was not an issue for the 10 days we were there. Everybody was a hard worker and very frieindly. I would recomment this resort to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Antonio P, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear tigerfan4life,
Thank you for your visit to our resort and your good comments regarding our staff.
Please visit us again soon.

Dear marlene p,
Thank you for your review. Mexico is a very nice place to visit as you could see, it is good to know that you had a good vacation in our Resort.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Just returned from another terrific stay at Grand Palladium White Sands. Great food cold drinks and friendly staff top to bottom. Especially Saul , one of the white sands bell men. Always going above and beyond to ensure our stay was enjoyable. A true professional. Looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Will s,
Thank you for your review. I will pass your comments to our Front Desk and bellboy team, they will be very happy to read this.

prince albert
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We took our first trip to Mexico and stayed at the Grand Palladium White Sands resort in the Mayan Riviera. Our travel agent recommended the resort and then we researched reviewers of this resort, especially repeat visitors. We thought with so many people visiting more than once, the resort must be pretty decent and we weren't disappointed!

It is a large resort but we didn't find the walking too difficult, although anyone with limited mobility might have trouble with the many bridges on the one side of the resort and the walk to the salt water pool is fairly rough terrain, but nothing that an abled body can't handle!

The service everywhere was excellent and we found all of the staff extremely friendly and hardworking. There was always something to explore at the resort; boat ride on lagoon is very pleasant, local wildlife is nice to see and the long long beaches are beautiful! There are some rocky areas but they can be avoided if you are careful. We really enjoyed snorkelling in the reef area that surrounds the resort and saw many varieties of marine life. But our favourite trip was to Akumal Beach to swim with the sea turtles and we also saw rays, barracuda and all kinds of fish! You can take a tour boat right from the resort for $40 usd for a two hour trip, we thought it was worth it.

Food was good, entertainment okay, spa beautiful; we missed not having an oceanview room and it was a bit too breezy for our liking, but over all this is a very good place to holiday. We had a junior suite which was a very nice room with lovely jacuzzi that had surprisingly very powerful jets - really enjoyed that and it was also nice to have beer, pop and water stocked daily in the bar fridge.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Belleville, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My hubby and I went to this resort in 2003 an 2004 to the Kantenah section and to the White Sands area in 2006. This years we took our 3 adult children, their spouses and 4 grandkids in celebration of our 45th anniversary, and we booked thru Transat because they offered White Sands . We needed to be close to each other and as central as we could be. Sunwing offered Riviera which we felt was too far removed so we went withTransat. Where we arrived we were all booked in Riviera, and in 3 different villas even though I had contacted the hotel earlier to try to get close together. We got 2 out of the 4 king beds we asked for and no mattress toppers. They are there in the Hotel, we saw others being delivered. We didn't try to switch around 4 rooms so walked the extra distance each day. But I wish that Transat would insist that the Hotel book their customers in the Villas they advertise.In all other ways the Distinction features that Transat advertised were fulfilled, we even got a direct transfer BACK to the Airport.
As for the Hotel, we were pleased with our stay there. The food was good to excellent, with a few bad misses. Notable some things were overcooked, to our taste, eg chicken wings at Punta Emilia and potato cakes at breakfast, and the roast beef at dinner But mostly the food was as hot or cold as needed. Mostly we ate at the Buffet in Riviera but one couple tried the Braxzillian, the Steakhouse and the Mexican and enjoyed them all.
We tipped but not lavishly and it was easy to get drinks with very little line up but we were mostly at the salt water pool or Punta Emilia and the White Sands lobby.of course we tipped in our room and frig each day and the room was cleaned well, with nightly turn down and the frig guy customized our order once we left a note.We were happy with our suites and jr suites and in all cases got the enclosed bathrooms we asked for, and 3 or the 4 sofas were made up when we arrived with the last one done as soon as requested.
Through the Hotel concierge we rented a 13 passenger van to go to Playa del Carmen and the Coba ruins. The driver waited in each case until we were done, 2.5 and 3 hours in each case. It was about 2X the cost of the collectivos for the Playa but easier to get all 12 of us there at once and back($130 return) And Coba was $250 return and we paid our own admittance. We had the same driver each time and had pick up in the lobby.
As for the beach it is the same as we have experienced before. There are areas to get in without broken coral, but you really have to watch and I would recommend water shoes. I fell 5 times once trying to get my 7 year old granddaughter in through the coral. I just couldn't get back onto my feet because of the sharpness and the waves and I recently had a knee replacement. Finally two people, an older gentleman who also had a new knee and a younger woman, came down to me and basically hauled me out. Thank heavens they helped, or I think I might still be rolling around in the surf. I do wonder if it is possible to get some of the broken pieces cleaned up since they are no longer attached, just rolling back and forth in the surf. The grandkids played for hours in the water, snorkling, and then for a change of pace, they snorkled in the salt water pool. We brought our own equipment. They also swam in the main pool but found it cooler then they liked and not as entertaining.
We had no problem gathering together enough chairs at the beach or Las Rocas and it was even easier at the main pool to get seating for all of us.
One couple went to the Spa and had a massage which was enjoyed, also they really liked the spa pool.
We didn't make the evening shows but once, too tired.
Also we used the golfcarts, the train and the boat to get around whcih helped a bit with our being stuck out in the RIviera section, but you do walk a great deal in this resort. This could be a challenge for people with knee or back problems, or very little kids.
In all we were very happy with our time at White Snds
All in all, we had a great time and the kids are starting to save so they can go back in 2 or 3 years. My husband and I would definatley retun, probably to the Kantenah side since we don't need suites for just us.

Room Tip: Villa 60 in the White Sands on the top floor had a water view -- 6030
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sunlover099,
Thank you for sharing your experience in our Resort. I also recommend to combine any excursion with the enjoyement of our Hotel facilities. Of course you can't forget the Spa wich is a nice place to relax at the end of the day.

Thank you and please come back soon.

State College, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The Grand Palladium Riviera Maya is between Playa del Carmen and Tulum, about an hour south of the Cancún airport. The architects had an eco-friendly mindset, as they tried to build around the mangroves and other aspects of the environment. Because of this, you will see local wildlife throughout the resort, which my daughter loved seeing.

The resort consists of 4 hotels (not counting a group of suites that have some of their own facilities). We stayed at the White Sands. There are 2 lobby complexes with shopping and food and a main pool behind them; in other words, 2 hotels share a lobby complex. Guests are able to use the facilities in both complexes no matter where they are staying.

Beach:

Pictures are better than words to describe it.

The beach is rocky in some places, but gets better as you head north. I recommend swimming with swim shoes/sandals/etc., especially if you're on the south end of the beach.

Pools:

Both main pools are generously sized, with lots of beach chairs. There are small kiddie pools by the main pools, but the main pools themselves have some very shallow areas that work well for kids. The water was cold enough that you really noticed it at first, but it felt nice once you were used to it.

Room:

We had a 1 bedroom suite, with a bed in the bedroom and a couch in the living area that converted to a full-size bed. It was very spacious, and we were really happy with it. The only improvement we would suggest is to upgrade the quality of the sheets, as ours were scratchy and pilled. The pillows weren't the best quality either, but we did not take advantage of the pillow menu, which had other offerings for an additional fee.

Kid Club:

Lots of resorts only have kid club offerings for children 4 and up. One of the reasons this property caught our eye was that they had a mini-kids' club for ages 1 to 3. My daughter spent a couple of hours there nearly every day of the trip. At 3.5, she was getting a bit old for some of the mini-club offerings. There are strict regulations about keeping kids in the club that corresponds to their age, so playing with the 4-8 year-olds was not an option unless my husband or I were there to supervise. We did that on occasion, and it was fine. I understand the need to follow rules, but the result is that the fit isn't always the best for kids at the far ends of each age group. Although they did have a small jumpy-jump and other physical activities in the room especially for the mini-club, the kids there never went to play outside. I never saw them doing crafts either, even though it was listed on their schedule of activities. Even though I was bummed about that, my daughter wasn't. Every day she would ask to go to the kid's club, and getting her to leave for lunch or beach time took some effort, so I think she had a good time there.

Food:

I had read other travelers' reviews of the resort, including their opinions about food, which varied widely. Part of this is, of course, because of people's different tastes, but I think another part of it is that the quality of items can vary even in the same buffet. I saw this in my family, where how much we enjoyed certain meals depended on exactly what we ate. In general, I felt that the majority of the food was decent: not awesome enough for me to write a glowing recommendation, but not bad, either.

At the buffets, the Mexican items and the fish were among the best, which makes sense given our location.

Breakfast (served at the buffets only) was the best meal of the day. I especially liked the freshly blended juices.

For lunch, we preferred the buffets to the beach bar. The latter is more convenient because you can get a plate of food and bring it back to your beach chair, but the variety is not nearly as good.

For dinner, we tried to mix it up by visiting the buffets as well as the sit-down places. Only two sit-down places take reservations, with the rest taking guests first-come, first-serve. We really liked this system because there was no mad rush in the morning to make reservations. We also never had to wait more than 10-15 minutes for a table. The buffet dinners had a different theme each night of the week, so if you went to the buffet more than one night, you didn't eat exactly the same thing.

With the exception of the Teppanyaki and Brazilian barbecue restaurants, where kids are served as adults, the sit-down places we visited had the same kid's menu. It had many choices that you might find on a kid's menu at a US restaurant (spaghetti and meatballs, mini-pizza, etc.). My daughter was happy with what she had.

Food worth trying:
Pollo con chile verde (at breakfast),
Tacos al pastor (Mexican restaurant. This is typical Mexican bar food. I don't know why they don't have it at the snack bars.)

Don't try:
Pasta carbonara (Italian restaurant Portofino)
Arroz con leche at breakfast (It's not the dessert at breakfast, but literally just rice and milk.)

Our rank order of sit-down restaurants: Mexican and Brazilian tied for first, Japanese, Italian

Breakfast: included
Bathroom: our room had a large shower and a separate jetted tub. The showerhead is on a handle that detaches, so the shower was a good place to give my daughter a quick rinse. Although we used the bathtub most nights, the ledge was pretty high. My daughter couldn't just climb in like she does at home, so she had to be lifted in and out of the tub. This is not the easiest thing when your child weighs over 40 lbs.
Blow dryer: yes
Elevators: not sure, because there are several buildings, which are all fairly spread out along the property. Our room was in a building with three floors, and I don't remember seeing one there.
Highchairs: although we didn't use any, we saw them at the restaurants.
Internet: free wifi in the lobbies, available in your room at an extra charge. We used the lobby wifi only. It was fine, though I think the signal was better in the White Sands and Riviera lobbies than the others. Sometimes you could also get the lobby signal at the restaurants on that side of the resort, though that was hit or miss.
Nearest playground: The Kid Club has one.
Refrigerator: yes. It is stocked as a mini-bar, but you could move some drinks out/around to make room for snacks.
Strollers: we didn't travel with one, but I did want to mention that we saw several families with them, and they seemed to be doing fine. The best main pool for families on wheels is the one on the Cantenah/Colonial side, because you need to cross a bridge with stairs to go over the lagoon that surrounds the pool on the White Sands/Riviera side. For families who didn't pack their stroller but wish they had, the kid club checks out plastic kid cars with tall handles so that adults can push their little ones along.
Recommend for families with young kids: definitely. The resort is welcoming to young kids and offers them activities and gear like highchairs.
Recommend for people without kids: definitely. Even though the resort is kid-friendly, I never got the impression that it was only for families with kids. Childless travelers will also find activities and food to their liking.

Room Tip: You can request a room in a particular building.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear ToddlerTravelsAM,
Thank you for your review, I'm sure that your recommendations will help future visitors coming to the Resort.
Of course I take note as I could read many things we can improve also.

North Bay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Just returned from Grand Palladium White Sands on February 5th.
We liked the resort and would return. This resort is very big. You Need to walk quite a bit for this resort. Which was ok for us but we did hear complaints about how big it was. Would I return probably. We like the Palladium resorts. We did try the one in Jamaica as well and it was very good. We may try the one in Punta Cana next.
Food was good. No issues with this.
Pools were refreshing and cool but we still enjoyed them in the afternoon. We are beach people so it didn't bother us.
You can never be bored here because there is lots to see and do (just lots of walking) But you can hop the trolley carts they have. Some times you need to wait for them but who cares you are on holidays.
The disco was disappointing. We put in for requests for some songs to dance to and the dj just ignored us. Even when there was no one in the place.
Overall it was a good holiday. Would I recommend this place sure its worth a try.

Room Tip: Any room is ok. Just not alot of view rooms
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Miniquet40,
Thank you for your comments, it is good to see that you have visited othe Palladiums and you had a good vacation there too.
Sorry for the issue you mention in our Disco with the DJ. I will pass the information to our Entertainment Manager.

vancouver,BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Overall, a great experience. Did an Air Transat pkg, with transfers, great way to go, great airline as airlines go these days. Big property, prepare to walk alot.
As far as our room, it was huge, with the jetted tub, very nice, except for the rock hard beds were not that comfy. Not sure if we miss communicated with the room cleaners, but on a 7 night stay, our room was only cleaned twice. But twice, it was done with perfection.
They have nice touches like an aromatherapy menu,and a pilllow menu! $3 per night.
I found the hotel quite noisy,mostly in the early am, people slamming doors, and talking loudly in the halls, ice machines, etc. Very echo-ey.
Otherwise, no complaints. nice junior suite, nice jet tub. Actually, more hooks for towels and clothes might be handy. The food I thought was really good, so much variety at the buffetts, it's crazy. Only 1 of the a la cartes wasn't good, mexican i think. Most a la cartes , the beef was tough, except the steakhouse, it was really good. The omelete chef at the Kabah buffett, in White Sands was amazing! He is awsome, and I can't recall his name!
The beach BBQ nite was really good too, as was the seafood night. You can pay $39 or so extra if you'd like lobster at that one, and at a few of the other a la cartes as well. If you want a nice wine, you pay a lot for it. The house wines are not too bad, especially compared to an all inclusive i went to in Cancun 10 yrs ago.
The staff was awesome, always smiling and friendly. It's nice to tip, I don't think they earn much there. This was my second wristband vacation, and it was far superior to my first one.
This area is gorgeous, the hotel beach was really nice, with an area for swimmers, snorkelers etc.
and no vendors! what a treat! There is a salt water pool off to the south of the property, with fish, it's nice. And a bar , chairs, bathrooms too.
Never did check out the spa, I heard it was pretty nice.
Do beware though, in the hotel, there are reps wearing Palladium atire, and are there to sell
the timeshare, in the Royal suites. Huge pressure I hear. We were booked for the 1 hour tour/sales pitch, then cancelled, due to a day trip we wanted to go on The rep called our room at 8am!! woke us up, to find out why we cancelled. I was not happy about that, at all.
I also heard a one hour tour could end up going for alot longer.
All in all a great vacation, loved the endless food, and drinks, especially made by Freddie in the White Sands lobby, the pools, the grounds. We will definitley go back sooner than later.

Room Tip: Note , There are no elevators, plus you walk alot here. Big resort. Staying up on the 3rd floor go...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear wendymcd,
Thank you for your review, just one thing... I can't believe that you didn't visit our Spa!
You have to come back urgently, our Spa is a must hehe.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Been to Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!