Let me first start by saying that I read lots of the reviews for here before we went and I did take into account the negative feedback as well. Now after having been there myself all I can say is FABULOUS! I am from the states and am used to my soft comfy bed, soft comfy couch and pillows...I am not a nit picker! When I go on vacation I am not there to spend time in my room rain or shine, I like to be out and about exploring and doing or lounging at the beach.
The beds here are not top grade in comfort, but I did sleep very well! Our room was always clean and so was our bathrooms...We loved the jacuzzie tub in our room and the view from the top floor of villa 57 was a perfect ocean view. If you are handicap, be sure to let them know ahead of time as there are not elevators.
The place is huge and there is lots to see and do. If you are not a walker, no worries you can take the train or golf cart shuttle service for free. We used both and walked a lot as well.
A must see and do is the Salt Water Pool! Especially if you are a first time snorkeler. The spa is worth a vist (or 2 as in our case) the hot tubs are amazing and its interesting to walk through the foot spa too. It even has a beautiful outdoor pool.
We ate at the buffets and restaurants. Buffets were good, but not your home cooked meal you are used to in the states..but if you remind yourself that you are a guest in another country/culture it will serve you well. We found that when at the buffets it was best to wait and order something vs picking it up off the line...food is always best fresh and they had plenty to choose from. If you go hungry, it's only because you are fussy. We had not issues with the restaurants other than my one friend did not like the idea of her shrimp looking at her while she tried to eat it, that's right the food is fresh and whole! LOL
We did not care for the Japanese restaurant but loved the Mexican one! One of our friends had his birthday and the waiter and mariachi band came and sang to our table. The desserts were fabulous. The best part, you could order each dessert and try them all! We did that and shared them! I was truly awesome.
Another must do is the BBQ on the Beach (Cantenah) side or the Seafood one on the beach at Punta Emilias (White Sands) we loved both.
If you want your fan to work, look for the switch next the your headboard that has a marking on it (black). It took us a day to figure that one out..hahaha.. The a/c works in your room only if all doors and windows are closed tightly, kind of a nice feature.
We even snorkeled at the beach..there were tons of amazing fish right there were people were swimming..around 4pm things start to thin out and the snorkeling gets even better...we even saw a stingray up close and personal! So when you see the signs posted to shuffle your feet in the water, they are there for a reason! You don't want to step on a sting ray!!!
The refrigerator in our room worked but did not keep things 'COLD' like what we are accustomed to. It did help to leave the cabinet door open so that air could circulate better around it. But then again we were not there to care about a mini bar as we had the other bars at our service and our room was there for us to change and crash in for the evening!
All I can say it this place was like a dream and we can't wait to go back again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa is located on a spectacular, private Caribbean beach-front complex that boasts of 800 meters of white, fine sand and turquoise blue waters. Guests of the Grand Palladium White Sand are invited to use the facilities provided by the adjoining Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, the Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, and the Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa (excluding the Royal Suite facilities). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Odigeo and Despegar.com so you can book your Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Palladium White Sand Resort And Spa
- Grand Palladium White Sand Hotel Akumal
- Palladium White Sands
- Grand Palladium White Sands Resort
- Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico