“Good Hotel ..... Good Beach” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Moline, Illinois
“Good Hotel ..... Good Beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I must start of by saying upfront how big this resort is. With that being said the resort does a good job of having transportation available via a golf cart style train or regular golf carts that hold 6 plus riders. The room we got was a junior sweet in white sands villa 56. It was a very nice room, with a nice shower and jacuzzi tub. Overall the room was good and housekeeping did a good job but seemed to come very late in the day when we would be returning from the beach or pools. The mini bar was restocked everyday, giving us plenty of water and soda.

The Food at the buffets were average. There would only be one person cooking omletes for a rather large buffet hall, so getting one could be a real wait at the breakfast buffet . The dinner buffet is a little better, I would have to say this buffet has some of the best pizza in the caribbean. Overall there is plenty of food to choose from but alot of choices can be bland and or cold. Also, The buffet workers can be a little eager to clear things from you, almost bothersome at some points, although i feel they were just trying to hard to leave a good impression. The japanese restaurant is a must.

The bars were nice. Most all the bartenders were good and very nice. Getting a drink could be a challenge sometimes, as the bars would would feel understaffed. My biggest complaint about waiting for drinks is that they have latte/ espresso machines at every single bar on the resort and this would consume all of the bartenders time. Even at the beach bar on a 90 degree day , you would wait a very long time for a beer or mixed drink while the bartenders made coffees for people, it would get very old.I feel these should have the own lines and person dedicated to just coffee.

The grounds of the resort were well kept. We did see a little trash here and there in the very early morning but nothing to bad. Again this resort is very big so plan on doing alot of walking, also the resort has a alot of very steep stairways over a pontoon boat moat that must be crossed to go almost any where. these stairway bridges may be to much for those with walking problems..something you must consider about going to this resort. The pools are nice, chairs are usually available. the swim up bars were good but just didnt ever seem to take off the way other resorts do.

This resorts has a very nice beach. The beach is very long with very white sand. Its very popular during the day and getting a chair in the area you want to, be could be difficult. The beach has some coral spots but plenty of good swimming and snorkeling area. I would say overall this is a very nice beach.

In the end it was a good hotel but needs to improve on the understaffed bartender issue and get more involved with guest entertainment as they just dont have as much going on as other resorts in the entertainment area. . As nice as this hotel is I would consider doing some real comparing of other hotels at this price range before picking this one. HAPPY VACATIONING !!

Room Tip: send an email request a few days before you go to the hotel , where you want to stay
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear vaca101_13,
Thank you for your review, it will be very helpful to improve our services.
I hope you decide to visit us very soon.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I'll start off by saying that this was my first vacation south, as well as my boyfriend who traveled with me, so we did not have any comparison of other countries or resorts.

That said.. we loved this hotel. It is located on a huge, beautifully kept complex with other hotels you can share amenities with (pools, lobbies, restaurants, buffets). Lots of walking, or if you prefer it there are trains and golf carts to take you too and from your villa/from lobby to lobby. We booked with transat and had the 'imperial club' which offered us a few benefits such as a welcome fruit basket and small bottle of tequila.

The room: Our room was a junior suite, and for two of us - I can't imagine needing anything more than that! It was a lovely large room on the third floor of building 56, close to both the main pool and the ocean. Very clean and well kept. No elevator, but in the long run I think those stairs helped me burn off all the food we ate. We did have a problem with our shower not draining properly (took about 20-30 mins after a shower to drain the water), we called on our second day there and they send they were sending someone "now" but it never got fixed. The decor is a little dated, and our couch had some stains on it as well, but we aren't the kind of people to focus on little things like that.

The food: My recommendation is to check out the different buffets. We ate lunch at the buffet by our pool because it was convenient, meanwhile right around the corner there was a much bigger and better buffet being served at the riviera! Buffet food was good enough, decent selection. I found that unless the food was being cooked in front of you it was generally not hot, but not cold either. Desserts were nothing special, at the buffets or the a la carte restaurants. We ate at the Mexican, Japanese, Chinese and the beach BBQ. All were good food, and a nice change from the buffet which you get a little sick of after eating there for breakfast and lunch. The Mexican restaurant took about 50mins to bring us our food, which was nothing complicated to make, it was hot and it was good but a long wait. I recommend checking out the beach bar closest to the salt water pool, you can also order lunch there with table service and the bar is 24hrs so if you get up to enjoy the sunrise you can enjoy a cappuccino and a pastry too!

I found the pools to be clean and never had a problem swimming in them, not sure what other reviews that refer to this mean! I had no reservations swimming in either the adult pool or the main pool. If you prefer a quieter atmosphere you can also use the spa pool which is silent, and quite lovely. We had a couples massage, and I had pretty low expectations being someone who has had quite a few massages, but I quite enjoyed it! We also received a 15% discount with the imperial club wristbands. The White Sands seemed to be the quieter of the hotels, we spent a lot of time in the lobby relaxing on the couches and listening to the (cheesy) music. There was a couple of different weddings when we were there, but we never felt as though it affected our stay at all. I agree, things happen at a leisurely pace there - we liked to call it "mexican time". With regards to others mentioning having trouble booking with the a la cartes. We booked for our whole stay on the second day, in the afternoon, no line up no problem done and done. We even walked into the Chinese restaurant without a reservation and were seated straight away. Perhaps this is because there was only 2 of us!? Or maybe luck. We also missed our reservation for the japanese and they still managed to get us seated at the show table.

All in all I would recommend this hotel and would definitely consider going back. Many of the reviews I read were helpful, but it seems everyone has a very different view of what a good resort is.

Room Tip: Building 56!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Jenny932,
Thank you for your review, I am glad that you liked the Hotel.
I agree with you that everyone has a different view of what good the resort is. Fortunately most of the reviews are happy after their stay with us but we know there are many things we can improve and the feedback we receive is very important.
I hope you visit us soon.

Cincinnati
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Perhaps we were spoiled by our first few days in a much nicer hotel, but this place did nothing for us and we will never return to it or any of the chain's other resorts. We stayed in the White Sand section of the resort in a Mayan Suite on the lake and took the train to see the other three lobbies. The only thing I can say in favor of White Sand compared to the others is that it is a bit quieter, if that's your thing. However, our first night at the hotel there was a wedding reception with blaring music, bad karaoke and loud drunk people at the restaurant across from us on the lake that went on until 1:30 am or later. We were awakened by angrily honking geese at 6:30 am. Luckily the geese wake-up call was a one-time event during our stay.

The staff here very obviously work hard (and we believe in tipping well for all services, regardless of whether gratuity is supposedly included in the price), but the service was just plain bad. Our room was rarely serviced by cleaning staff, even when we left a card in the key slot from the time we left in the morning to when we returned to wash up before dinner. On our second to last day I had trouble dialing out of out hotel room so I called the front desk to ask them about it. They literally hung up on me no less than five (5!) times. I was flabbergasted and was ready to storm the gates when my husband reminded me that since there are four or five different hotels in the resort I had no way of knowing which front desk I had actually dialed when I hit "front desk" on our room phone. Ugh.

As previously mentioned, we stayed in an individual Mayan Suite on the lake which was nice in that it was located very close to the lobby so if we needed anything we never had far to walk (except to the beach - that always felt far away). The room was dark and dingy. The curtains had moth holes in them so large that they let in pin holes of light in the morning, one of which shone directly at my face. There were cobwebs in the rafters with things dangling in them. All of the fabric in the room was faded. In essence, the room was badly in need of a renovation. The bathroom, however, was very nice and very clean. The outdoor shower was kind of gross. I love an outdoor shower. The first hotel we stayed in before this one had an outdoor shower and we never once showered indoors. But this one was just... icky.

When we first arrived, both the indoor and outdoor showers were clogged and wouldn't drain and the hot water wasn't working on the outdoor shower. We called the front desk for maintenance who arrived the next afternoon and even though it took them a while to respond to the call, they did a fabulous job and were super friendly. I wish I could remember their names because it was the best encounter we had with a Grand Palladium employee the entire visit.

The pools were gross. We tried the pool near us at White Sand as well as the attached adults-only pool and the main pool closer to the beach. After the first day my husband flat-out refused to swim in them because they were so dirty and we stayed at the beach for the rest of our stay.

There is really only one part of the beach where you can swim. The rest is a reef zone. When you reach the beach you will be able to tell immediately where that one part is because no one is in any other part of the water. There are entertainment staff (People of Palladium, or POP) who travel to different parts of the resort every day to, well, entertain people. Sometimes they are at different pools, different parts of the beach, etc. One day while we were enjoying a beautiful day at the beach, we were interrupted by this entertainment staff who basically threw a party right where we were relaxing. It looked like fun, but I did not want to take a meringue lesson - I wanted to listen to the waves! We figured we would wait it out, but it went on all morning and afternoon. I left the beautiful, relaxing beach with a headache and an urge to hit something.

There is a lot of wildlife on this resort, which I really liked. We saw a ton of iguanas, more than we saw at any other part of Mexico we visited, raccoon, coati, agouti (looks like a giant rat, or a cross between a rat and a giant rabbit - this thing really freaked me out the first time we saw it!). The ponds between White Sand and Riviera are full of fish on one side and koi fish on the other. Some parts of the ponds desperately need to be cleaned, or maybe just cordoned off and destroyed. There are parts right next to the sidewalks where people frequently travel that are just not ponds anymore. They are slime and grit and nastiness and they SMELL horrible. The fish can't and don't swim there at all. I don't know how employees and management walk this way every day without thinking, "Hmm, we should probably do something about that..."

There is a crocodile pit underneath a bridge between White Sand and Riviera. We never crossed it completely so I don't know where it led, probably to the Royal Suites or something. But the pit was SO SMALL I have no idea how they find it ethically acceptable to keep a fully grown crocodile in there - but so you have it. I think they should be ashamed of themselves. I really felt very bad for that poor crocodile.

Our lobby at White Sand had a ton of cats all over the place. Kittens, really, and just a few cats, which tells me they take no responsibility for the animals that live on or near their supposedly environmentally friendly resort and do nothing to catch, spay/neuter and release these creatures or provide food or shelter for them. As far as I could tell they slept under the lobby couches (which were also old, faded, and torn, just like the furnishings in our room).

There are gentlemen driving golf carts around the resort with signs on top indicating to which rooms or lobbies they are able to taxi guests. Never once while we were walking around this huge resort were we offered a ride, even when we tried to flag down an empty cart. They never stopped for us. I do not understand the purpose of a transportation system that refuses to transport guests.

The final straw had nothing to do with the hotel. It was Olympus Tours. We booked this trip through AAA who handled our transportation to and from the airport through Olympus who are supposed to keep regular hours in the lobby as posted. Arturo was there for the first few days and he was very helpful, but he could not tell us when or how we were supposed to get back to the airport. He said to check in on Wednesday or Thursday before we left and he would let us know when we were being picked up. No one was there Wednesday. On Thursday, someone was supposed to be in the lobby from 8:30-10:00 am. We waited in that lobby from 8:00-9:30. We paced back and forth between the White Sand and Riviera lobbies from 9:30 to 10:30. We got royally p*ssed off and tried to use a hotel phone to call Olympus' local office in the Riviera Maya (because the phone in our room wasn't working). No one answered on their customer line. Then suddenly, there was a rep at the hotel. We finally were allowed the privilege of speaking with her at 12:30 pm. Are you kidding we? We literally wasted half of our very last sunny day in Mexico - the last day of our honeymoon - so someone would tell us, "OK, just be in the lobby at 7:00 am tomorrow and the van will be here to take you to the airport. Do you need anything else? No? Goodbye." Forget you guys. I'll make my own transportation plans the next time we travel down here. That was RIDICULOUS.

Don't waste your money on the Grand Palladium. Seriously. I wish we hadn't.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Cincychic F,
I'm sorry to hear about a bad experience in our Hotel.
I can assure you that our staff does a great work and always do their best to provide the best service. I would have liked to know about any problem with the cleaning in your room so this is something we could easily helped you during your stay. Our Mayan suites are really nice rooms and we usually have very good comments from most of the people who stay in them.
Regarding our swimming pools we have people working in them all day and I can tell you that we control the crystallinity, ph, chlorine levels...
Our entertainment staff is here to help our customers enjoy their holidays with many activities. Of course nobody is forced to participate and most of the activities are in the main swimming pools and in the beach area in front of the snack bar. We understand that many people is looking to relax and a quiet vacation so this is why we have adult swimming pools with chill out music and waiting service. I personally agree with you and I prefer this places (you can visit El secreto swimming pool, la isla or the spa swimming pool.
Regarding the wild life in our resort there is nothing to worry about our cocodrile, we have a biologist part of our staff and a veterinary surgeon that visit also our flamingos. I can tell you the biggest problem we have is that our customers feed the animals even it is not allowed as the food they are provided it isn't good for them and makes the racoon or coatis to ask for food when they really would have to obtain their own (they loose their instinct).
In relation with our internal transportation, we have trains and cars between lobbys or to the rooms (every 15 minutes) . The golf carts you mention are used for the check in/check outs and also our Royal Suites customer have a private shuttle included with the Royal Service.
I do apologise again if we could not exceed the expectations, I wish we could have a second opportunity, I really would like to meet you in person to make sure everything is perfect and you could have another perception about our staff and services.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Not surprised that I'm reading reviews regarding thefts at this resort. The resort is very aware that my daughters coat was stolen among other things. It's very disheartening that a resort of this size and reputation will not refund or follow up with vacationers after they go home from spending hard earned dollars here! We did not have the worst time, the property was gorgeous - but all of our issues (ac failing, food poisoning etc) went ignored. Had I known this stuff was not taken seriously here I wouldn't of brought small children, let alone my spouse here. You're employees did not need to steal from our safe either, we tipped them generously each day. Sad to say we will miss this gorgeous stretch of beach - hopefully someone cares about this review.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Soso52682,
I'm sorry I have no idea of the information you are providing. Please if you could contact with the Hotel we can identify you and if you haven't done a report this would be the first thing to do.
I'm sorry I can't help with more information as I don't even remember any problem with our safes in our rooms or with a coat missing.
Thank you for your time and I hope you contact us.

quebec
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

first lets get the good stuff out of the way
the grounds are very well kept and the like always the staff (except the front desk )works like horses always smilling and go out of there ways to please you
especially sinse there are understaff thanks to low class management that overbooks like
so many cheap hotel now in riviera maya

lots of activities all arround the resorts always something to do
you have to try the segway tour a must
great beach to swim and one side for great snorkel right off the beach

the bad

the food is great with lots of choice (buffet) but most of the time its not even warm it is cold
cause they are no lamp warmer over them and lack of covers on them even the food they just bring in fom the kitchen is cold you will have a better chance if you eat the things they are grilling in front of you its just to bad cause the food tastes good
oh well

the a la carte restaurant are ok but dont be surprise to see your food arriving 30 to 50 mins after you ordered (probably due to overbooking again)
they only offer cold apetizers in all the a la carte
they"re (no reservation )system doesnt work be advise you could wait as much as 2 hours for a table ,the best a la carte was marenostrum (dont try to look for it on the map) on the site its only on the little map they give you on the site maps its called vaticano or something

room cleaning is the worst i have personnaly seen in any hotel arround the world
never ever mop the floor the all 10 days i was there just passed the broom ,they was a sticker on the floor from an old baggage claim when i got in the room and was still there when i left 10 days after i'm sure its still there room 6304
never left an extra toilet paper ,got 2 hand cloth for the all 10 days thats it ,replaced the sheets
after 8 days i know cause they was a black spot on the sheets (yes i tip 20pesos a day)
i had to steal toilet paper and kleenex from her cart

i booked with transat imperial class as soon as i checked in 10 mins after i was already regreting it i booked my trip 3 months ahead for white sand and they gave me an (upgrade)
to riviera side even after arguing with the lady for 5 mins and telling her i didnt want the upgrade cause it was to far away she turned arround and kept doing her thing not even listening anymore (no i didnt raise my voice)

dont kid yourself riviera is not a (upgrade) to white sand its a DOWNGRADE its like a remote part of the resort where they stack all the people that dont have a room where they asked cause this hotel overbooks and have an easy way out to fix the problem
they just pretend they upgrade you and shove you over riviera cause nobody would intentionally book there so its full of poor souls like me that got played
it is so far from everything eigther you walk 10 mins to anything you want or wait for a train to pass making it so much time consuming on your vacation it is ridiculus

another thing i can understand that working staff like ground keeper ,maid etc dont speak english or french but the ones that have to interact with tourist like front desk should try a bit harder

i am i seasoned traveler and have alot of family members that travel to riviera maya
i was the first of my family to try this resort and you can be sure none of my family will booked
at any of the grand palladium place

Gene (lepetit)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear leptit,
I'm sorry you didn't like the resort. All feedbacks always help us to improve our services, I take very seriously each of the reviews I read and in this case I'm sorry I have to totally disagree with you regarding your comments about the food and our housekeeping staff and the rest of our staff.
Our goal is to exceed our customers expectations, we have Managers on duty 24h per day and I can tell you that I'm sure we could have helped during your stay.
Our rooms in White Sand and Riviera are exactly the same, it is totally false that one is bigger, better, warmer or whatever than the other. I'm sorry if you were given any different information.

canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I'm going to keep it simple with Pro's and Con's

Pros
Hotel was clean
Buffet was nice and was open for enough time during the day
The beach is one of the best and longest we have seen in the Mayan
Swimming is great right there off the beach

Cons
Service is terrible - no urgency for anything unless you tip
Sometimes maid missed our room for cleaning
Very difficult if not impossible to get a reservation at any of the Ala carte restaurants
Extremely HARD beds and not sure if that was a pillow or what is was.

Over all... nice clean hotel and grounds, beautiful beach, but hotel could make some changes to increase the level of service and perhaps make guest rooms a little more comfortable to reach the 4.5 Star status they ask you to pay for.

Room Tip: Decide if you want to be close to the beach or close to the Buffet as there is quite a bit of distan...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear bellamiacanada,
Thank you for your time to write your review. Regarding the a la carte restaurants it is not necessary to make reservations. You just need to show up and in case there are no tables available, you are given a pager so you can have a drink in the lobby and you will be told when your table is ready.
I wish you visit us soon. It will be fantastic to see you back in our Hotel.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We had our wedding there in December 2012 and were very happy with everything. The hotel staff is great, the food was good (we ate at the buffets most often but many of our guests dined at the a la carte restaurants and had mostly good reviews), the beach was beautiful (though a little rocky at the white sand part but a short walk up the beach there was clear sand and no coral for a good ways out), the spa was great and our wedding was beautiful. Everybody was super helpful and friendly. My husband lost both his iPhone and iPad (yes, both! On separate occasions!) and both were recovered by staff and waiting for us with security when we reported them missing (I was sure we would not be getting them back but to my surprise we did!).
The resort is huge but easy enough to get around once you get to know it a little. I would definitely recommend this resort and it couldn't have been a more beautiful location for our beach wedding!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Marga G,
Thank you for your review. It really helps me to read that you recovered your iphone and your ipad and it was found by our security department.
It is very important to do a report if any object is missing as we can start an investigation in order to help our customers.
I hope you visit us very soon,

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Been to Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!