“My last review mysteriously vanished, what gives? TRUTH BE TOLD!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #11 of 20 hotels in Akumal
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“My last review mysteriously vanished, what gives? TRUTH BE TOLD!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Not surprised that I'm reading reviews regarding thefts at this resort. The resort is very aware that my daughters coat was stolen among other things. It's very disheartening that a resort of this size and reputation will not refund or follow up with vacationers after they go home from spending hard earned dollars here! We did not have the worst time, the property was gorgeous - but all of our issues (ac failing, food poisoning etc) went ignored. Had I known this stuff was not taken seriously here I wouldn't of brought small children, let alone my spouse here. You're employees did not need to steal from our safe either, we tipped them generously each day. Sad to say we will miss this gorgeous stretch of beach - hopefully someone cares about this review.

• Stayed December 2012
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Soso52682,
I'm sorry I have no idea of the information you are providing. Please if you could contact with the Hotel we can identify you and if you haven't done a report this would be the first thing to do.
I'm sorry I can't help with more information as I don't even remember any problem with our safes in our rooms or with a coat missing.
Thank you for your time and I hope you contact us.

1,481 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
quebec
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

first lets get the good stuff out of the way
the grounds are very well kept and the like always the staff (except the front desk )works like horses always smilling and go out of there ways to please you
especially sinse there are understaff thanks to low class management that overbooks like
so many cheap hotel now in riviera maya

lots of activities all arround the resorts always something to do
you have to try the segway tour a must
great beach to swim and one side for great snorkel right off the beach

the bad

the food is great with lots of choice (buffet) but most of the time its not even warm it is cold
cause they are no lamp warmer over them and lack of covers on them even the food they just bring in fom the kitchen is cold you will have a better chance if you eat the things they are grilling in front of you its just to bad cause the food tastes good
oh well

the a la carte restaurant are ok but dont be surprise to see your food arriving 30 to 50 mins after you ordered (probably due to overbooking again)
they only offer cold apetizers in all the a la carte
they"re (no reservation )system doesnt work be advise you could wait as much as 2 hours for a table ,the best a la carte was marenostrum (dont try to look for it on the map) on the site its only on the little map they give you on the site maps its called vaticano or something

room cleaning is the worst i have personnaly seen in any hotel arround the world
never ever mop the floor the all 10 days i was there just passed the broom ,they was a sticker on the floor from an old baggage claim when i got in the room and was still there when i left 10 days after i'm sure its still there room 6304
never left an extra toilet paper ,got 2 hand cloth for the all 10 days thats it ,replaced the sheets
after 8 days i know cause they was a black spot on the sheets (yes i tip 20pesos a day)
i had to steal toilet paper and kleenex from her cart

i booked with transat imperial class as soon as i checked in 10 mins after i was already regreting it i booked my trip 3 months ahead for white sand and they gave me an (upgrade)
to riviera side even after arguing with the lady for 5 mins and telling her i didnt want the upgrade cause it was to far away she turned arround and kept doing her thing not even listening anymore (no i didnt raise my voice)

dont kid yourself riviera is not a (upgrade) to white sand its a DOWNGRADE its like a remote part of the resort where they stack all the people that dont have a room where they asked cause this hotel overbooks and have an easy way out to fix the problem
they just pretend they upgrade you and shove you over riviera cause nobody would intentionally book there so its full of poor souls like me that got played
it is so far from everything eigther you walk 10 mins to anything you want or wait for a train to pass making it so much time consuming on your vacation it is ridiculus

another thing i can understand that working staff like ground keeper ,maid etc dont speak english or french but the ones that have to interact with tourist like front desk should try a bit harder

i am i seasoned traveler and have alot of family members that travel to riviera maya
i was the first of my family to try this resort and you can be sure none of my family will booked
at any of the grand palladium place

Gene (lepetit)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear leptit,
I'm sorry you didn't like the resort. All feedbacks always help us to improve our services, I take very seriously each of the reviews I read and in this case I'm sorry I have to totally disagree with you regarding your comments about the food and our housekeeping staff and the rest of our staff.
Our goal is to exceed our customers expectations, we have Managers on duty 24h per day and I can tell you that I'm sure we could have helped during your stay.
Our rooms in White Sand and Riviera are exactly the same, it is totally false that one is bigger, better, warmer or whatever than the other. I'm sorry if you were given any different information.

canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I'm going to keep it simple with Pro's and Con's

Pros
Hotel was clean
Buffet was nice and was open for enough time during the day
The beach is one of the best and longest we have seen in the Mayan
Swimming is great right there off the beach

Cons
Service is terrible - no urgency for anything unless you tip
Sometimes maid missed our room for cleaning
Very difficult if not impossible to get a reservation at any of the Ala carte restaurants
Extremely HARD beds and not sure if that was a pillow or what is was.

Over all... nice clean hotel and grounds, beautiful beach, but hotel could make some changes to increase the level of service and perhaps make guest rooms a little more comfortable to reach the 4.5 Star status they ask you to pay for.

Room Tip: Decide if you want to be close to the beach or close to the Buffet as there is quite a bit of distan...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear bellamiacanada,
Thank you for your time to write your review. Regarding the a la carte restaurants it is not necessary to make reservations. You just need to show up and in case there are no tables available, you are given a pager so you can have a drink in the lobby and you will be told when your table is ready.
I wish you visit us soon. It will be fantastic to see you back in our Hotel.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We had our wedding there in December 2012 and were very happy with everything. The hotel staff is great, the food was good (we ate at the buffets most often but many of our guests dined at the a la carte restaurants and had mostly good reviews), the beach was beautiful (though a little rocky at the white sand part but a short walk up the beach there was clear sand and no coral for a good ways out), the spa was great and our wedding was beautiful. Everybody was super helpful and friendly. My husband lost both his iPhone and iPad (yes, both! On separate occasions!) and both were recovered by staff and waiting for us with security when we reported them missing (I was sure we would not be getting them back but to my surprise we did!).
The resort is huge but easy enough to get around once you get to know it a little. I would definitely recommend this resort and it couldn't have been a more beautiful location for our beach wedding!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Marga G,
Thank you for your review. It really helps me to read that you recovered your iphone and your ipad and it was found by our security department.
It is very important to do a report if any object is missing as we can start an investigation in order to help our customers.
I hope you visit us very soon,

Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We were 3 couples traveling from Dec 15 to Dec 22. A week prior to departure I send a request for us to be in the same building, etc. The request was very promptly acknowledges before our departure and all our requests were granted, we couldn't have asked for more.

The resort is huge and very beautiful, you keep finding little surprises as you walk about. The little trains and golf cart are very practical to get around.

Room:
We had a suite which was great! Lots of space with 2 separate rooms as well as LCD TVs, not that we watched much. We did have issue with the shower head and it took a few days to get it sorted out, part of the problem may have been communication (language as well as reaching the right person), eventually they replaced the shower head. We never had towel art, which we don't care for but the other couples seem to be a little disappointed. Our room seem to be the last one cleaned (we tipped $5 / day), one day we gave up by 5:00 and told her to just give us fresh towels.

We had no problem getting reservations for the Japanese nor the seafood restaurants, we lined up fairly early and got all our requests. We dined in the a la carte every night, arriving around 6:30 we never had to wait more than a few minutes.

Breakfast was always at the buffet, it does have a good selection. We noticed that they have people with radios in the buffet, to call in what needed to be replenished.

Lunch location varied each day depending where we were.

Shows
The show was hit and miss, They had one for the 'End of the world' that was exceptional! We also seen one based of the 'Pirate of the Caribbean' that was very good. We did not go every night so I can't comment on the rest of them.

Grounds
Beautiful! Lots of wild life, beautiful birds (keep looking for them). The have containers with fish food (around lobbies) so you can feed the fish. There is also a pontoon boat that you can ride around the man made river/lake.

The salt pool was awesome! Everyone enjoyed it and actually went snorkeling in there, great for first timer.

The snorkeling is definitly best near the Kantenah just outside the swimming rope.

SPA
We did not use the services just the facilities and it was very relaxing. One couple got a massage and enjoyed it. BTW you just charge it to your room no need to carry money or credit card.

Activities
We didn't partake in lots of activities, we did the Segway tours, which we all enjoyed and would love to do it again.
Mini Golf, the course is very hard as every holes are on a bump so if you don't get if first shot, you'll have to work your way back
Riffle - We tried only to be told that it was cancelled that week!

Overall
We would definitely return to this resort, This was our first time traveling off season, so not sure how that would affect the service at peak time.

Enjoy!
Thank you Grand Palladium for making our vacation so special!

PS: Contrary to what is listed in the Palladium Addict website, the buffet does not seem to have theme nights (we even asked and they had not idea what we were talking about)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear di2,
Thank you for your review and the information of the different aspects of your holidays in our Resort.
It is nice that you enjoyed your vacation and I hope you visit us soon.

Regarding the buffets we do have themed nights (monday-asian/ tuesday-french/ wednesday-fisherman/ thursday- gala night/ friday- italian/ saturday- mexican/ sunday-spanish)

Stratford, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We just got home from our family vacation at the White Sands and would NOT recommend this hotel. First my daughter had $120 stolen out of her locker at the spa, I had my purse taken in the lobby and then to top it off as we are trying to check out this morning at 6am the one person they have on check out says the Visa machine is down. They made us pay cash for all of our expenses. Thankfully we had money on us as some of the guests were running to the ATM machine on the resort. The bill was incorrect as well there was an extra charge at the spa and extra bottle of wine at dinner that we did not have the pleasure of drinking. If we refused to pay them the cash they said they would not let us get on the bus for the airport that was leaving as we were haggling over the bill. This was suppose to be a memorable vacation as it was the first time we had all travelled as a family in about 7 years but unfortunately I am thinking we may remember it for a different reason. If you go to this place be warned!

Room Tip: I would recommend another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Cathie R,
I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience in our Hotel. Regarding the spa I will pass the information to our security department, it would help if you did your report during your stay.
The keys of the lockers are given in the spa reception, recently we have found that many people is using the lockers without the keys so they keep open during the time they stay in that area.
Regarding the check out I'm sorry, we could have accepted the VISA and call the bank to do the transaction. I'm sorry if the cashier didn't find other solutions if the machine was not working. We have 4 ATM in the resort anyway but I understand the cashier should have helped with this.
Thank you for your review, your comments really help us and we will improve those aspects that will make us provide a better service.

Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Just came back from our Wedding at Grand Palladium white sand. Everything was wonderful and we are glad that we picked this hotel for our wedding.
Special thanks to the wedding Coordinators, Grace and Venessa for all their help (and patience). They really took care of everything and made the evening carefree and special.
For photography, we worked with Claudia Rodriguez and her team and could not ask for a better photographer.
We have been to the hotel before and liked it enough to come back for the wedding. We liked that it is big (VERY BIG); so you do not feel confined; plenty of space for walking; never feels crowded; always plenty of beach chairs. Our group was relatively large (30ppl), yet they were able to place us in the 2 buildings that we requested, and allowed us a later check out.
Of course, as with all hotels, there are some issues - here, the ocean floor was disastrous, i guess not much can be done about it. Large rocks, muddy water - water shoes are a must. The pool was very large, but very cold.The food at the a la carte restaurants is very average (compared to other 5* hotels we have been to); the buffet selection is good.
Grounds are imaculate, SPA is one of the best i have been to, numerous activities for adults and kids; love their kids club.

Room Tip: White sand; Building 57 (preferable corner rooms 5731, 5730)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear 12345 Toronto,
It is nice to see that you had a wonderful wedding. Our wedding department really does a great job. I will pass a copy of your review to the wedding department Manager, she will be very happy to read it.

Thank you and please come back soon.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Been to Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!