“2nd time just as enjoyable as the first” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa

You added Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Toronto, Canada
“2nd time just as enjoyable as the first”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

Just returned from our second visit - March 16 - 23, with 2 small kids 7 and 9 years old. This being our second time, we were worried that we wouldn't enjoy it as much as the first time, but it was equally as enjoyable as the first....nice to know that there is consistency between visits and this is a solid resort.

Being our second time, I guess they honoured our request for an oceanview one bedroom suite - lovely!!! However, in order to accomodate this, they put us in building 61 which is in the Riviera section (suite was identical to the one we had at the White Sand the year earlier). I was a bit worried being farther away from the Colonial pool (where we spend our majority of time with the kids), but it was no trouble and we discovered that taking the beach route saved a lot of time and was a lovely walk too !!!

Suite was identical to the year before despite the fact that it was in the Riviera section. Wonderful to wake up to a view of the ocean and to sit with a morning coffee before we started our day. Kids slept on the pullout which has a foam mattress and they were very comfortabvle. I just ordered an extra set of linens so they wouldn't tug, pull and fight over the blankets. Kids had very comfortabvle sleeps.

BED: Last year I had a real problem with my bed and back - the bed was so hard that it kept seizing up on me. This year I came prepared with a bottle of Robaxacet and I even brought an electric heating pad - didn't need either and never had any problems...not sure if the mattress was different?

WASHROOM: No problems with hot water or lack of towels including face cloths.

MAID SERVICE: Wonderful - never any problems and never lacked anything. Everyday the room was cleaned perfectly. We would leave the room by 9:00AM and return at 4:00PM and it was always done.

INTERNET: We were pleasantly surprised that we were able to get wifi in the rooms, for a fee. $13 US per day or $75 per week!!! Wonderful as my husband needed to stay in touch with work and wasn't looking forward to lugging the laptop to and from the lobby. HOWEVER, the connection is spotty and we found ourselves spending a lot of time of the phone with tech support getting their help to get us back up, and or getting paid for time replaced on our account for everytime the connection went down. SOOOO keep that in mind and it may or may not be worth it. Still not sure if the problem was related to our building or to the entire resort as a whole.

POOLS: We spent the majority of our time at the Colonial pool as it was more active. Never had any problems getting chairs at anytme, UNTIL Sunday March 20 and onwards....i guess the hotel got much busier and it was a bit of a struggle, but after 2:00 there would always be plenty of chairs to pick from. The White Sand pool ALWAYS had plenty of empty chairs and it is also quieter if that is what you prefer. I really wish they would add drink service around the pools.....even 3 ladies, and they would all make a killing on tips, I am sure. We had our bubba kegs so it wasn't a big deal, but it sure would have been nice having drink service anyways. WATER WAS WARMER this year it seemed as compared to last year....still a definately chill as you enter, but nowhere as cold as last year in my opinion.

BEACH: Gorgeous sand, crystal clear water, tons of chairs - but not enough shade unfortunately. They definately need to plant more palms or add more palapas. BIG DIFERENCE is the rocks this year....tons of rocks as compared to last year...but mostly just as you walk in....later it is much smoother, but you still have to be careful. Definately bring water shoes. I managed to get away with flip flops but it cramped my toes just trying to keep them on my feet...LOL. No fault of the hotels - just mother nature doing her thing. Kids loved making sand castles. Thought this year the beach was more windier than last year though.

RESTAURANTS: Buffet was amazing as always, and I can honestly say it is one of the best buffets that we have experienced in an AI....dinner especially. I have been to AI buffets (in Punta Cana in particular) where the buffet meats are unedible. Always something to find. MUST TRY THE CREPE STATION at dinner...don't remember this last year and we loved it....made to order desert crepes were out of this world and my family couldn't get enough....try the banana with chocolate..YUM!!!!!

The a la cartes were a bit different this year in the sence of trying to get into one !!!! Last year, we could show up at 7:00 and still get a table....NOT this year!!! On our first night, we showed up to the Italian at 7:00 and got a 2 hours wait!!!! They also take your room key with your reservation to prevent double or tripple bookings!!! From that day forward we would show up at 6:00PM or just after, wtih a hord or other folks, who obviously realized the same thing. A bit of a pain as it adds stress trying to get all 4 of us showered, dressed and out in time, but I still prefer this system over having to stand in line everyday for a reservation - so GP, please don't change this.

Strange experience one night in the Italian - came with 2 families...our family showed up first and requested a table for 8 and was told we could be seated right away....until they realized the other 4 were not in line with us....sorry too bad....we had to stand back and let other folks get their tables until the other 4 showed up. Then they had to seat us at different tables - the tables were side by side, but they would NOT push them together...strange. So the kids had to sit seperately and it was a bit of a pain getting up constantly to help them cut their food, etc. Don't know why it would have been so difficult to just push them together for the meal and them pull them apart???? Then to top if all off, after one glass of wine each, at 7:45PM we were told the STEAK restaurant was OUT of red wine!!!! And they didn't know when they would get more.....no bother, as we were getting ready to leave, but if I had just sat down to a lovely steak dinner with no red wine, I wouldn't have been too thrilled.....LOL

KIDS CLUB: FANTASTIC as always!!!! My 7 year old daughter couldn not get enough!!!! We basically found ourselves working around her and the club's schedule including the evening shows....she just loved it!!! My 9 year old, however, this year, wasn't as impressed......there didn't seem to be many boys in the club and definatley none of his age, so he wouldn't go in. In general the club this year was mostly girls 8 or younger, and only a couple over the age of 8. I felt completely safe leaving my daughter in the club and she adored the wonderful ladies and the exciting and fun activities.

SUGGESTION FOR THE KIDS CLUB: They state that they have a club for 9 - 12 year olds, but I just don't or didn't see it. There were a ton of kids in that age range at the resort and not sure why they weren't going to the club. Wondering if the resort should find a seperate location for this age group - maybe kids of this age are turned off by the juvenile feel of the kids club? Maybe the activities aren't appropriate for this age range? Not sure. But it would have been wonderful if there was an area where kids of this age could congregate and there would be a supervisor who could organize things like ping pong tournements, volleyball games, bag toss, pool games, beach games, mini-put, etc. My son would wander around looking for kids his age and ask if he could join in and play with them....which since he is rather shy, was kind of painful for him. There is great potential here to attract families with kids in the 9 - 12 age group with fantastic activities. The stuff is there, it just needs to be organized.

Both kids loved the movie night on the beach and the nighttime treasure hunt!!!! Look out for it - Sunday or Monday nights, I forget...they go out with flashlights, etc.....

In summary, our second visit to the Grand Palladium was WONDERFUL!!! Happy kids make for happy parents and a happy family vacation, and that is exactly what we had. Just wish we could have stayed longer !!!

This is a good solid family resort. We would definately return and would definately recommend it to others.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

I spent the week of March 6 - 13 at white sands....this was one of my best trips so far...My room was awesome (Villa 57) close to the beach and the pool...this resort is sooooo huge , alot of walking that's for sure but they also have golf cart stops!!! If you were to lazy to walk the golf cart drivers came around every 2-5 minutes......my daughter had a amazing time she loved everything about this hotel from the kids club, to the pool, the nightly shows and of course the food...the food was amazing. My daughter is a very picky eater ....i would go back to white sand for sure..

1 Thank TA2001
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

My husband and I have just returned from an amazing vacation at the White Sands with our three children ages 4, 6 and 9. We have travelled fairly often and we like to try new places. However, this is the first resort where we would consider returning. What set it aside from other resorts for us were the people, the service and the way an incident with our son was handled.

On the third day of our vacation our 6 year old son cut his hand quite badly at the Colonial hotel. It was truly an accident and could have occurred anywhere, but we were amazed with the efficiency and care with which the situation was handled! Within a couple of minutes of it happening, a hotel manager took us to see the resort doctor. Our son was examined by the doctor who recommended we take him to the hospital as she thought it needed stitches. The manager must have read the expression on my face and assured me that it was a very good hospital as it was a private hospital and that the doctors spoke English. While he was being examined, my son told us what he cut himself on and the manager was immediately on her walkie talkie asking to have the object brought to her. The manager arranged for a taxi to take us to the hospital which was 25 minutes away. She arranged for someone to take us back to our room to get our ID and then she stayed with us until the taxi arrived and we had left. The hotel had called ahead to the hospital to let them know we were coming. When we returned from the hospital (which was very clean, sterile and efficient) the manager, who I think was off duty, met us and made sure we were taken back to our room at White Sands. Our son was fine but contact from the resort did not end there. We were contacted the next day by the front desk manager at White Sands. He wanted to check how our son was and relayed some information to us. One piece of information was that the doctor had examined what our son had cut himself on and wanted us to be aware that he would need a tetanus vaccination if his was not up to date.

In summary, we were amazed by how well this situation was handled. Before I could even ask questions or think of what needed to be done, information was provided. You don't plan on things like this happening when you leave to go on vacation but the care and efficiency in which this was handled gave us even more confidence in the staff and management of this resort.

A few other things I would like to mention:

The resort is extremely clean and safety procedures are evident around the resort (e.g. a water polo net being removed because the plastic was cracked).

As many have written on here, the resort is big. We did not find this to be a problem at all but I would recommend taking a beach bag. We would pack extra sunscreen etc. and take it with us in the morning. We rarely returned to the room before late afternoon.

Another positive about this resort was the ample opportunity for shade or sun. We have been at other resorts where people reserve the lounge chairs by the pool or the beach early in the morning. There was no need here. There are plenty of poolside lounge chairs and even if we switched pools during the day, we would still have choice of places to sit.

Something else I did not see on here was reference to the athletic centre. We had great fun playing soccer and basketball and the kids loved the mini golf. There were also tennis courts and sand volleyball courts.

All staff members we had any level of contact with were very friendly and extremely helpful. We ate at five of the a la carte restaurants and enjoyed all of them.

My only suggestion would be that the restaurants offer child size portions of their specialty. All of the restaurants had a children's menu but our kids wanted to try the food we were ordering. It seems like a waste to order them the adult size meal when they only ate half of it.

As I have already said, we loved this resort and hope to return in the future!

2 Thank wfamilyfun
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
Thank you very much Wfamilyfun for letting us know about your experience. It's part of our job as Managers to take care of the customers when incidents happen. Unfortunately most of the people doesn't realize of this part of our job so I'm very happy you did and that your son is ok now.
Thanks again and I hope we may see you in a future spending your holidays with us.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

We had a great stay in January, only major complaint was the kids club (see the bottom for review). It was nice sunny weather in the day with a few scattered showers, perfect weather for swim suits and shorts. It did cool down considerably at night. The resort was nice. The grounds were expansive, but this is why we chose this resort for it's open layout. Navigating was a little confusing at times because of the size and we got lost more than once. We loved walking around and taking in the scenery. A lot of the grounds were in their natural state and not landscaped. This was ok but I preferred the Iberostar Paraiso Peach landscaping and layout better. The resort did have a shuttle running between the 4 lobbies but not down to the beach. The pools were nice, we went to the Colonial pool often because all the music and activities were there. The White Sands pool was nice and you would like it if you wanted peace and quiet, there is also an adults only smaller pool right by it. The beach was very rocky in the water and I would suggest water shoes. The beach is also all natural so there are no boardwalks, just sand and the chairs between palm trees. There was free snorkeling, paddle boats, sail boats (if you could demonstrate you could sail) , and kayaks on a first come first serve basis for 1/2 hour. We found out if you gave a $5 tip you could take them out longer.
The fresh water pool was very peaceful but this is the only pool that had palapas (sp?) and only about 6 there, so get there early. There was plenty of loungers everywhere else.
We walked down the beach and found a sea turtle breeding ground reserve, we found the old nests and even some old eggs which was kindof neat. We had our 2 daughters 8 and 12 and they had a great time. The beach also had a blow up "ice berg" and trampoline they enjoyed playing on. Just beware there are topless bathers on the beach, my girls were a little surprised. I was glad I didn't have any teenage boys with me:). They don't allow them by the pools.
Room: We had the one bedroom suite with a front sitting room. It had a pullout couch the kids slept on. I did ask for a rollaway bed and mattress pad but they said they didn't have either. The kids complained of a hard bar in their backs so I wouldn't count on an adult being comfortable on the couch. The main bedroom had a adequate mattress but the pillows were terrible, we did buy some in Playa del Carmen when we went. On a side note you can take the "collectivo" for $3 per person per way. You can catch it outside the main entrance. We took the kids and felt completely safe.
Food: Food was good all in all. Large selection in the buffet for breakfast and lunch. We also ate at the beach bars that had made to order items. We enjoyed the fresh hamburgers, and nachos. We enjoyed the Italian restaurant the most, then Ribs and More, which is very similar to the steak house menu (we tried to go one night about 6 but there was a two hour wait). The brazillian restaurant was pretty good except the first meats they bring out are not high quality. Wait till the end when they bring the better cuts. Chinese was the worst restaurant we went too. Only good item was the sweet and sour shrimp. The fried bananas sounded good but were served cold. We also went to the restaurant on the beach which was ok and a nice setting but a raccoon stole a roll right off the table! It was a funny memory.
The alcohol seemed watered down. I don't drink often and am a light weight. I had 4 drinks one afternoon and didn't feel a thing.
Entertainment: They had fun poolside games we participated in. There was archery and shooting but was at a different location and was too long of a walk from the pool. There was also a soccer field and basketball court over there. We did play mini golf which was fun.
We only went to the show one night and it was a audience participation game show. I went up on stage and when they asked where everyone was from I actually got booed for saying "USA". The majority of people at the resort were from Canada or Europe. The other shows we didn't go to as we were often too tired by9 and 10 pm when they started.

We did do the time share and got 1000 pesos toward a excursion. I was dissapointed after wasting 2 hours of sun to only get $80 usd off an excursion. We booked Chichen itza. Deffinately something to see while you are down there. I would suggest booking online before you go. We did this last year and saved a lot of money as the hotels prices are much higher.

We had a good week and enjoyed the resort. We would go back if the price is right.

The only complaint was the kids club. We left the kids one night to go eat. I asked the lady when they closed and they said 10 pm. The leaflet with the kids club activities said "mexican fiesta" from 8-9 and "disco" from 9-10. The lady said they would be in the main showhall at the Colonial. We ended up showing up at 9:45 and my kids were crying. They said they had a pinata on stage and the kids club asked the kids from the audience (a show was starting at 9:00) to come up for the "mexican fiesta". After they were done they said to go back to their parents. My kids waited on the stage for the kids club ladies to come back (they said they had gone behind the curtain). Well they waited and they never did show up. My kids finally went down into the audience as the show was starting as they were still on stage. They waited 45 minutes by themselves.
Luckily my daughter was older and knew to wait for us. I complained to the manager at the front desk who then got the kids club manager. Apparently they thought my kids said we were coming to get them (which they did not). I said, "even if that was the case don't you wait to make sure the parents get their kids before leaving?". They said this should have been what happened and apologized. I didn't hear anything more about this during our stay.
Needless to say that was the first and last time our kids went to the kids club.
The younger kids did look like they were having a good time during the day and seemed to be supervised. I don't know what happened that night.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank DayDreaminFun
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

Being a travel agent for the past 13 years, I get an opportunity to visit many resorts all over Mexico and the Caribbean, so I am basing this review on comparable resorts in this area and star quality.
With that being said, I had a great view from my Jr Suite room on the White Sands side. Riviera side is a bit further to walk to everything but quieter if that is your thing. Yes, they have a train that goes around to the 4 different check in areas within this massive resort, but they can take a while to get you to where you want to go. My room was close to the beach and the train stops about 500 yards away from the main walkway to my building. No elevators I must warn those that are handicapped. Resort is confusing and signage is minimal. Signs that stated, lobby, well, which one?? A few times I ended up at the neighboring lobby and took the train back to mine. Overwater Cabana rooms need updating, shame they are not keeping those adult only rooms up to par. Generally overall bedding is outdated and needs serious updating there.

FOOD: Was really good in the ala carte restaurants. Liked the Brazilian Restaurant best. Only ate at buffet for breakfast and lunch, it was okay and typical for a family resort. Weekly night time beach party was a bust, long lines at the buffet and entertainment was a xylophone being played by 3 musicians. Would not waste my time there. LOVED that no reservations are required and you can eat ala carte every night if you want, you may wait if you go during peak times. Wish ALL All Inclusive resorts were on this plan. Some are catching on, but taking a while. Not all ala carte restaurants are open every night, keep that in mind.

SERVICE: Upper marks than average in the ala carte restaurants. Buffet breakfast staff seemed on their toes.

BEACH: Very seaweedy. They do rake in the AM but it just comes back quickly.
LOVED renting the segways, great way to learn about the resort. $35.00 per person

Let me know if you need more info!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank DonnaLSTRAVEL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

We were first time visitors to Mexico and wanted to have an exceptional all-inclusive vacation. We got it!! Grand Palladium White Sands resort was all we could have ever asked for. Exceptional service, BEAUTIFUL grounds, awesome pools, and everything was clean clean clean!!! So many restaurants to choose from (you could eat at any restaurant at White Sands, Kantenah and Colonial Resorts) and no reservations needed. The housekeeping staff did an awesome job and always made sure we were restocked in everything in our room.
The resorts are large and spaced apart with lots of quiet and privacy so make sure you have your walking shoes... we enjoyed the walks and when we didn't want to walk, we took the trains that were always around. We never had to wait long before one came along... If we hadn't taken the walkways and paths though the grounds we would have never seen the wildlife living right around us. It was great.
The only reason I didn't give the sleep quality a 5 rating was the beds are a bit hard... but that would definitely not keep me away. My husband and I are already planning our next trip and trying to take a few couples with us.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jmf39
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

I have been very lucky to have travelled to many lovely places, this hotel has been the BEST. Everything from the accomodation, to food, staff, amenities has been exceptional, we did the Coba tour visiting the Mayan Village, please take clothes, pencils and toiletries for the locals as this was not told to us by Thomsons. We will certainly be going back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SusieChops
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection

Been to Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!