“Destination Wedding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Coba

You added Grand Bahia Principe Coba to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - Cancun Km 250. Mexico, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Winter up to 50% off
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
pontoon beach, il
“Destination Wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

Apple's "Destination I Do" program gave our group great rates and a rebate to the bride for every person booked. Fernanda, the hotel Wedding Coordinator, handled every detail and made this the easiest wedding we have ever had in the family. From flowers, cake, music and the wedding dinner, she managed every detail. Our group of 32 was transported from the hotel lobby to the beautiful wedding pergola on the edge of the ocean. Fernanda provided rose petals to throw at the couple after the ceremony and champagne. The wedding photographer was amazing. The wedding dinner at the Mediterrean restaurant was incredible. The hotel staff decorated the bride and grooms suite with balloons, towel sculptures and flowers. Our group loved the whole thing. While we didn't have a picky bride - this is the way to have a wedding - fun for all!

• Stayed September 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,664)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

Upon arrival at the gran bahia we expected to arrive at akumul lobby as that is what we paid for instead we were taken to coba lobby to find that we had been upgraded to a junior suite which was fantastic! first impressions of the grounds the hotel etc.. was very high, could not believe how big the hotel actually was, alot bigger than we expected , but this was a good thing, meaning lots to do and lots of places to explore.!!

Room was big and spacious and the bed was a huge kingsize, the maid service was fantastic and very clean, fridge was always filled with water which was great for days out etc.. and it was nice to go back to the room to see what towel animal the maid had made for us, also unlike what some people have said about the air-conditioning , we found it to be a life saver! we left the air conditioning on full when we left the room in the morning and when we came in from a long day on the beach it was cool and refreshing, infact i was too cold.. haha!

FOOD: Oh my god!! we can not fault the food in any way at all, breakfast was out of this world, with the buffett having a wide variety of foods to choose from, the egg station being the best, the staff work so hard and stil manage to give you a smile with your favourite omelette in the morning. :) Dinner time we ate at coba buffett as well as tulum and akumul, and both have a wide variety but i think that coba is alot bigger and not as difficult to find somewhere to sit. We had 8 A la Carte restaurants to book as we got upgraded, we visited Portofino, don pablo, mikado, gran tortuga, mediterraneo, and tequila... all fantastic with great service!

Entertainment in the evenings was good, always a show on everynight, after that you can head down to the hacienda where there is bars and shops, and then there is a 'discoteque' open from 1230am -230am for all those that want to have a late night.

We went on a few excursions, with COCO BONGOS being the best night we had there!! amazing!! great atmosphere and definately a night to remember!. we also swam with dolphins at delphinus and we paid the little extra to do trainer for a day, we were there from 830am -530pm with dinner and a tour of xcaret included. spent 4 hours in the water with the dophins including snorkelling with the babies!!

Overall.. we both can not fault this holiday one little bit, and was quite surprised to read bad reviews before we went., all i can say is clearly they dont know how to have a good holiday and make the most out of it, because we definately didnt want to come back, you have to respect your in a tropical climate, so mosqitos are expected, and there is people from ALL over the world enjoying their holiday just as much as you are, so dont complain!!!

Definately a holiday to remember!!!! :)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
long island ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

Our family Mom Dad 12 year old boy and 8 year old girl spent 11 days at GBP Coba Golden - villa 2b second floor. We had a rough start as the plumbing in our toilet was not working and spend a couple of days chasing after front desk staff to send someone to fix it. Raymundo is the guest Relations Manager on property and when he got involved the problem got eventually fixed. He is the person to see if you encounter any problems.

This is by far the biggest complex we have stayed at. (others to compare it to The Iberostars in playa paraiso, Grand Sirenis,Princess)The carts run efficiently all over the place, we did do our share of walking when it was not under the scorching heat of the middle of the day. Temperatures in the begining of Sept average 90F and humid.

My biggest Issue with the place was the AIR CONDITIONING.
Before I even accepted a room I went and checked out The aircon situation.
As I mention before is very humid and if a room is not well ventilated it gets very hard to breath due to musk, mold in the air. We settle in the second room given to us wich was not the best but better than the first one we got.

The common areas( Restaurants ala cart and Buffett, theaters of this place were built to be enclosed airconed spaces but they are not running the systems or running them at levels that are not comfortable IT WAS HOOOOOOTTTTTTTTT like dripping your sweat hot. There was almost no cross ventilation relieve anywhere. Dressing up for dinner was not fun specially for the guys who had to wear long pants for the a la carte restaurants.
The food was ample and we enjoyed a variety of it. Had our share of drinks as well . Visited the quite pool and activity pools at coba as well as the ones in Akumal.Some better kept than others.
Akumal beach and coba beach are very close to each other so we walked anfg hanged out between them.

The coolest in temperature spot was the bar on the beach that has the swings as seats.
Nice breeze very relaxing loved it.

Our experince turned out to be a positive one at the end because we met a wonderful family from England and we had a very nice time with them. Have we not clicked so well with this guys we probably have made arrengements to move elsewhere.

PS If mosquitos love at home they will even love you more in Mexico. Used up a whole bottle of mosquito repellent and I was the main course for dinner not my kids or hubby. Couldn't figure why?

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

This will be somewhat a repeat of what has been said by many before me. I don't typically go back to the same place twice and this was my first trip to Mexico and an all inclusive. I loved it and would stay here again in a heart beat. For value for money I think this was an excellent choice, I was expecting 5 star from amenities, location rooms etc but not 5 star from a luxury point of view if that makes sense and I think I was right.
The hotel is great, huge, well kept and in a perfect location.

Took USA transfers, CA$ 130 no fuss, arrived after 90 mins. Welcome drink on arrival and were shown to our room in 4A, top floor 427. Room was great, view was over the "jungle" towards akumal resort. Room was quite, about a 5-7 min walk to the Main lobby, I could roll out of the "villa" into the jacuzzi bar La iguana, a full service bar for about 15 loungers, a couple minutes to the quiet pool and snack bar and probably ?15 minutes to walk to the beach. PERFECT! Took the trolleys a few times, nice on the occasions we did take them as it was hot and we were tired at the end of the day but it was also good to burn off the Mojitos with a good walk.

Food was good, not excellent, but very good for mass produced food. Good variety and there definitely will be something for everyone. The Coba buffet was awesome, we at at Akumal for lunch a couple times which was good but the Kukulkan Coba buffet was best. The French night was definitely the best, lots of fresh seafood, ice sculptures, cheese guy with a trolley who managed to ignore me twice, a great coffee and liquor bar and just all round great. Not surprising also the night for the survey on the resorts service etc.... As has been said by a previous reviewer teh wine left something else to be desired.

Our A la cartes were booked a week in advance, we at at Le Gourmet, Mikado and Arleguin. All were good, good food, good service, the show table I found a little cheesy at Mikado and really hot , the food was pretty good. The other two restaurants were good, not fantastic and the best ever but still very good.

Beach was great, a fair bit of fish for snorklers, a fair amount of rocks, water shoes were a bonus nut not essential. The waster colour was amazing! Red flag days all the time due to rough seas what ever that means, swimming around the protected beaches was perfectly fine.

Service on the whole was great, a couple not so friendly or efficient staff, and the swing bar was grossly understaffed, but on the whole everyone went out of their way to make it a wonderful experience.

On the whole, a great week, definitely had a relaxing wonderful time and we will be back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

I was not the only one, after arriving home, I became bitterly sick, and was diagnosed with food poisoning. I did not eat the plane food, as I was not feeling well, and did not eat in the airports. The food on the resort may have tasted okay, but as I had not left the resort for the finaly 2 days of my trip, its obvious where I got it. BEWARE.

The resort was nice, staying in the Coba area, we had a VIP lounge. Rafael was an excellant bartender, who always kept us laughing.
Beach wasn't great, rough, and kind of mucky.
Found the staff to be friendly at this resort.
Would not reccommend for a group of guys (me and a couple friends went for a fun trip), however this could be a good couples resort, or family. 24 hour snack bar(s) and bars were great though. Pools were clean also, swim up bar was nice!
Hope you enjoy this resort, I would not return following my health issues.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

Stayed at the Bahia Principe Coba for two weeks, starting the last week in August. Our family has stayed numerous times at the resort and are VIP guests. We usually stayed in the Akumal section but thought we would give Coba a try this visit.

As frequent guests, the PR manager was kind enough to book all the a la carte restaurants in advance by email. In addition, we received welcome bottles of champagne and nightly treats that were well appreciated.

The experience was just as we had come to expect over the years. Last year the occupancy was low and some restaurants were shut down at times. This year the occupancy has rebounded and the resort was full, except for the last few days.

Coba has newer and better rooms, but the location means that it is a trek to the beach. However, we did walk to most places and found it a good way to burn off the calories. The trolleys could have been more frequent for those wishing to ride them.

Entertainment at the Coba pool appeared to be good but we were not there much. We had seen all the shows in the past, but they were entertaining to see again. One wish is to have more dancing in the evenings, even while shows are going on as an alternative. There were bands playing at some venues but few people danced.

The beach was great, although there were 5 red flag days due to rough waters. All other days were ideal for kayaking, windsurfing, and catamaran sailing.

Overall, another very positive experience, and we will be back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Whistler, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

My sons and I have just arrived back from a fantastic week at the BPC.
This was my 5th time at BP but 1st at Coba . Everything was even better than previous years which do span over 10 yrs, .
2 yrs ago my daughter was married at Akumal and everyone had such a great time that my 2 youngest sons now 19/18yrs wanted to go back.
We were upgraded to Gold Members (5th time).......It was unbelievable the service we got all week.
Anyways we arrived 3pm Sunday on the bus by 3.45pm it was me who held up the bus "warning if you travel with a charter DO PRINT out your details I didn't they had to go find our name but it was all good.Bus left 4pm arrived Coba ....Akumal Premier Lobby 5.30pm no other stops.
On arrival we were given welcome drinks and thats when our amazing vacation started,we were given our gold bands........(my boys did have to show their passports to verify their ages)...our safe locks and of to our suites.......
We were in Villa 19B 31907/8 we had adjoining rooms they were on the ground floor but there was absolutely no noise, 19B is right by the Activity Pool & Swim Up Bar Pool close enough to go back to your room for the bathroom .
Our rooms were beautiful Champagne,Fruit Basket,robes,slippers,and way over the top toiletries ( Shaver,toothbrush,Loofer,Comb,Nailfile........plus all the usual.....and of course our fridge was full of goodies beer,pop,chocolate,chips.
Every evening the fairies would put plates of Chocolate covered strawberries,truffles,etc we never knew what to expect
We tipped the maid 20pesos each room each day and of course got our animals plus lts of rose petals on our bed one day we did forget but slill received the service
By the last day my room with 1 person had 5 pairs of slippers and the boys had 6
THe activity pool was fun but the Activity Pool at Akumal was more vibrant , the swimup pool next to it was great no problem with service even if you didn't tip all the time (difficult in a swimsuit)
Coba was not fully occupied so it was really nice still busy enough but not busting at the seems
Sun Loungers,well certain Nationalities I think get up at 5am because at 9am there is very little left but you can get a couple in the shade by 11am no luck at all...........Now dont get me wrong there are loungers but they all have towels on them no many people but lots of towels.The management have put up signs but NOBODY is taking any notice and nobody wants confrontation.(Except the Brits they get very angry when they see a couple of bed not used for 4hrs and they are sitting on concrete)
I had emailed Raymundo who is the public relation manager to book our Al La Cart about 2 weeks before we left,We chose Mikado Show Table its very entertaining beef was a little chewy but good fun, La Gourmet one of my favourites 2 of us had the Bass it was not that food my sons Turf & Surf with Lamb was excellent. Don Pablo definitely our favourite this time excellent Duck,Lamb & Beef better than 5* Fine Dining in the city, her we were offered Mayan Sacrifice not for the sweemish lots of flames Great Fun followed by a Mayan Coffee more flames.........FANTASTIC SERVICE
Arlequin again very nice, Portofino was excellent but we were lucky enough to book Don Pablo for our last night and again exquisite food & service
We only ate on our arrival night at the Coba Buffet and it was very good excellent choices with a guy with a Cheese Trolly and one with Liquors
Coba Entertainment well we had been told to checkout the Michael Jackson Show my opinion it was terrible the guy looked as if he was the understudy he seemed tied no energy the backup dancers didn't seem to know the routines just my opinion, Gala Show only a little better,Tulum, Mexico Show decent not my style but they new the routine,Coba Broadway Show much much better
My sons did go to the Hacienda every night and seemed to have fun
We will definitely be back hopefully soon .........THANK YOU to all the amazingly hardworking staff for making our vacation 5*

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!