“Awesome late honeymoon!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Coba

You added Grand Bahia Principe Coba to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - Cancun Km 250. Mexico, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Winter up to 50% off
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Calgary, Alberta
“Awesome late honeymoon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the GBP Coba from March 22-29th. We went without our daughter for a relaxing, romantic getaway. Upon boarding the bus at the Cancun airport, we were reminded that we were there without our daughter, as several families were on their way to the resort. We were completely aware that this is a family resort, we were blown away at the amount of people there with young, YOUNG kids. Constant reminders of our daughter were everywhere and it took a few days for us to get adjusted.

The weather the week we were there was amazing! It was hot and sunny, we couldn't have planned better weather!

The resort is beautiful. It is definitely kept immaculate, the service was top-notch and the rooms and amenities excellent. The only thing I would say is that with the three Bahias combined, it is a truly large resort. We will definitely go somewhere smaller next time we go away, as we like to meet people and see familiar faces as we walk around everyday.

To get this effect here, you pretty much need to keep to the same spots. We would normally hit the beach first thing, which was about a 7 minute walk out the back of the resort, up to the Akumel resort. The beach was great. When the wind was up, it was fun to play on the sandbags and fight waves. After hours at the beach we would meander to the swim up bar at Coba. This was a great spot to meet fellow Canadians. We met some awesome people from all over Canada (Windsor, Ottawa, Abbottsford, Yellowknife, Halifax, Vancouver). We noticed a lot of the guests at Coba were from Canada, a few from the US and then the remainder from Europe.

We noticed that the towel game was being played, as many other reviewers have noted. While we were there though, they started to post NO RESERVING signs on the palapas at the pools and beaches. This helped a little, but once the week was nearing an end, and a whole new group of people started to move into the resort, the games started again.

We decided to not do any excursions, as we were there to simply unwind and relax. We did, however, take the Collectivo into Playa Del Carmen. We shopped here... and this is definitely the place to do it. It only cost $3 to take the Collectivo one way, much better than a $30 one way cab ride. After we were done shopping in Playa Del Carmen, we sidled up to the bar at Carlos and Charlie's. It was a blast, we had a lot of fun there and would definitely go back. If you go, you need to get the shooter girls to give you a shooter...ladies, your husband will love you for it and you will get a laugh too!

We were lucky to have some free tickets to the Mexican fiesta at the Hacienda given to us. The Hacienda is a neat little area at the resort where you can shop (I wouldn't though) and on the Thursday night, they had a fiesta. This was fun, but don't let them wrangle you on to the donkey...it will cost you! The dancing and culture seen at this fiesta is awesome. We spent some time at the disco after the fiesta ended. We were shocked at the age of some of the young girls in there. There were some that would NOT be of age. Parents beware! The disco is the one spot on the resort where workers can go to unwind...like I said, PARENTS BEWARE.

Overall, our trip was great, it was hard to leave...as always.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,730)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Winterpeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

We stayed at the Bahai Principe Coba resort from March 21 to March 28, 2009. The resort was fabulous and the people were wonderful and the service was fantastic. The bus ride from Cancun Airport to the resort was about 2 hours, but we were well entertained by our tour guide with lots of laughs, interesting tid bits about the area and of course a few cold Coronas!

We flew with Air Canada Vacations out of Winnipeg and all ACV guests received top notch services including 4 x ala carte bookings, special welcome reception with a Champaign cocktail, and bath robes and slippers. Book your ala cartes right after you check in so you will get the best times and bookings. We found that early bookings of 6:30 and 7:00 PM for these dinners were perfect – as you could still arrive within 15 minutes late and still be seated right way for dinner. We got to stay for quite a long time and noticed a line up for dinner starting by 8:30 – 9:00PM. Try to book the Mikado last – the Japanese cooking show was a blast and the food was superb!

We had emailed the resort 3 weeks prior to our arrival and requested the 3 groups to be together, with specific sleeping requirements and located away from the highway. We all were placed together in the same building and close to the main pool and Coba buffet.
The resort is quite large with the 3 hotels complexes meshed into one. But it has the same friendly feel everywhere you go. We were not restricted to dining only in our Coba complex and had the full run of the place. Walking from our Coba building 14B to the Akumal lobby took about 15 minutes and we were right on the beach from there. The trams are always running by and you can take a golf cart styled ride almost everywhere on the resort within minutes. The ride home from the Hacienda was always a blast – singing Ghost Busters all the way home….

When you go, say Ola to all our friends at GBPC - Babyface Gabriel, Ivan, Chico & Michael YYYackson. As well as the best Coba Buffet waiter - Alfredo (Freddy) and the best bartenders at the Coba Activity pool - Oscar & Elmer !!!! Mucho Jose Cuervo!!

The beaches in the area all have been affected one way or another by erosion from various sources. The resort has some nice beach areas for swimming in shallow water and some rougher areas where awesome waves throw you around the coral scattered bottom. Beach shoes are recommended, but not essential. I survived without. Only stubbed a few toes. Snorkelling around the docks is great - lots of fish to see. Bring your own snorkels & masks, as they don't rent them out on red flag windy days. Every day in March is a hot & windy day in Mexico.

Sunrise comes early in Mexico - so do the people. Once the sun is up it starts to get hot right away and everyone is scrambling for the pool, the beach or the buffets. You either get up and go for an early breakfast at 7:00 AM or you lounge around the pool and go for a later breakfast at 9:30Am and it was never too busy at those times. I think 8:00am was the peak time. The food was great, the beer was cold, the cocktails were so tasty – I can’t wait to go back!

There were so many things to see and do on the resort that it was hard to leave for a day trip here and there. If you do go on a day trip – take the Collectivo (Government vans) to Playa del Carmen for a day of shopping, or to Akumal for some snorkeling with the turtles or to Tulum to see the ruins. All are within 1 hour and cost to get there is only $3 US per person tops. Can’t beat that rate.

We never did the major tours as we felt we spent enough on the main trip. But there are a few great family tours to Xel-Ha and X-caret and Coba ruins and Chichen Itza ruins. Be prepared to spend some good coin on these trips if you go. I heard they are worth it. The Coco Bongo Night Club bus tour from the resort to Playa del Carmen is also highly recommended.

Overall – the GBP- Coba was the best value for the money and outstanding service, entertainment, accommodations, meals and beverages. It has a five star appeal to it and like every resort there are a few small things here and there, but nothing to take away from the experience that you will get from staying there. It truly was a great week and allowed us to forget everything about the winter back home until we returned a week later.

Feel free to drop us an email and we can give you all the info you need about the "Coba Cabana....."

Bahia Principe!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Ottawa

[--]

I'll echo much of what Harrison11 said below. In fact, I'm pretty sure we had dinner with her and her husband at the Japanese a la carte!

We went on our honeymoon. I had never been to an all-inclusive; it never really interested me to be honest. I've always used vacation time to go see/do something. I thought I might get bored sitting by a pool for a week. I found I could have spent more time doing just that. It was nice to relax and unwind.

I think there's a reason you read so few complaints about this place compared to other resorts. It was really, really nice. I've read some complaints about the beds being to hard. Yes, they were on the firm side, but I found ours to be incredibly comfortable.

FOOD

The food was good. The buffets had a huge selection, particularly the main one in the main Coba Lobby. We usually ended up eating at the smaller one in the Premiere lobby. It was usually less crowded and closer to our villa. There was something for everyone. Sometimes the food would be lukewarm, but it is a buffet after all. We had four a la cartes. Portofino was our favourite. Highly recommended. El Pescado (seafood) was our least favourite. We went to Tequila (Mexican) on the Tulum resort which was pretty good and ended off with Mikado (Japanese). We were fortunate to have one of the rooms where they cook in front of you. The chef put on a good show flipping knives through the air and it was a good time getting to chat with other vacationers.

POOLS

We spent more time at the quiet pool and the whirlpools. There was a little more shade and they were closer. I take it reserving patio chairs is a common problem at all resorts and this was no different. We chose not to do it and we were usually able to find a couple of chairs to kick back in. There were always activities going on at the activity pool (go figure). I had fun playing volleyball.

EXCURSIONS

We booked the vacation through Transat vacations and they offered tour packages to ruins and other attractions near or on the Mayan Riviera. If you're going to something along the riviera, save some money and take the Collectivo. They are white taxi vans that run from Tulum to Playa Del Carmen. It costs $3 US per person. You catch them at the highway. I believe the tour to Tulum was going to cost $130-140 US per person. It's only about a 15 minute drive away and the admission is $5 US. We took the collectivo and paid at the gate. The trip there and back plus admission cost us $22 total versus almost $300 US. Lots of ruins right on the ocean with a beautiful beach. Bring water though as there's none available as you walk around.

We took the collectivo to Playa Del Carmen to check out the shopping boulevard (5th avenue). There were lots of fun places to check out. I'd suggest going late afternoon so you can see the transition to night tight when the light come on down the boulevard.

We also took the collectivo to Xel-Ha. It was only 5-10 minutes from the resort. Again, we paid at the gate since it was cheaper than doing an organized tour. They have some really good snorkeling and you can walk through the jungle paths to ceynotes and swim in an underground cave. You can float down the river in a one or two-person tube. This takes about an hour. We did it and it was pretty slow going. Once we got out to the open are, the current seemed to reverse. It was very windy and the waves from the ocean were enormous and seemed to be affecting the river. We started going backwards, so I had to get out and swim while pulling the tube to the end. All the other men started doing the same. It was a long last half-hour. It's a really nice idea, but maybe pass on it if it's a really windy day. They also have dolphins. You can pay extra to swim with them. Seeing as it was our honeymoon, we splurged and did it. It was a lot of fun and we can now say we've done it!

ENTERTAINMENT

There were shows each night. We only caught the Casino show and Michal Jackson. They're free and a good way to pass an hour. The former was OK, but the MJ show was a lot of fun. He's a terrible lip syncer, but he looks enough like him and dances pretty well. It was fun. We saw all sorts of other things going on like Karaoke or dance lessons, but didn't take part.

It was a great resort and we had a great time. I will happily recommend this place to anyone.

Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

NO LIE, this was amazing vacation i loved every min. i was there! I was so sad when i left! some tips i have for any viewers are stay at coba because the people there are amazing, especially the entertanment group ( ( i will probably spell all of these names WRONG butt Sergio, Aline, Sophia, Edgure, Aaron, Ivon, Fransico, babyface, chocolate and more all the ones i didn't name!)) the people there are so open and welcoming! they all have smiles on there faces! i still can't get over how nice the people were there, i made so many friends and they helped made the trip all it could be and more! Also the food there is delicious! But the restaurants don't really have a big menu and the portions are small and slow service though. The rooms are very nice! But the beds are kinda hard. They clean everything very well and also they leave the best little towl surprises in your room, they always put a smile on my face! Then there was always something going on at night! For example, there are shows for both adults and kids that are amazing ( one dancer i met named tony was very nice too) and very put together! then there are dance lessions, caryoki nights and partys. Also little shops on the resort to go to, 24 hour snak bars :) then restaurants where you can go to if you wanted a night to get dressed up and go out, just EVERYTHING! And you didn't even have to leave the resort! it was very safe and i would trust all my family and friends there! But if you wanted to leave the resort they provided transportation! This amazing vacation i went on. It was all put together using APPLE VACATION and i wouldn't have it any other way, and if you can't have fun at this resort then you just can't have fun in mexico

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

My husband and I just got home from spending one week at the Coba resort. We booked through Transat Holidays on www.escapes.ca and got our whole trip for $2133.00 after taxes.. (that is for 2 people) We also got the Royal Golden JUnior Suite... which the differences I noticed from booking woth other companies was:
Use of the royal golden lounge (which is great, with free wireless, speedy checkin and checkout, fast restaurant bookings and tour bookings)
slippers
robes (we didn't get ties for them though)
4 a la carte restaurant booking instead of 3

We were placed in Villa 10, which I think might be the best one.. we were close to the Royal Golden Lounge, the whirlpools and the partypool and snackshack.

I had read sooo many reviews on here before we left and I am glad I did not listen to the negative ones. I am not sure how anyone could even complain.. everything was perfect.

The service was fabulous.. they would do anything for you there. Those workers work so hard and deserve all the tips they make.

Buffets: The food was really good. The buffets were awesome. There is something for everyone. There are hundreds of things to eat, there is NO WAY that someone couldn't find something that they liked. There was way more things there than I would ever be cooking for my husband every morning. For the first 2 days all I ate was salsa and guacamole with nachos... whatever.. I was on vacation :)

A La Cartes: We booked the Mediterranen (alright) Le Gourmet (Filet Mignon was unbelievably good), Gran Torguan? (pretty good) and Mikado Japanese (sooooo good)
Overall, the food was pretty good at all of them. I think that if you book earlier you will get better service than later. It seemed we waited a bit longer to get our drinks when our reservations were at 8:30 not at 6pm... not a big deal.

Rooms: They were clean and the maids left nice towel art and refilled our towels everyday. We tipped 2 or 3 US everyday and I also left some little things for the maids, like candy, nail polish, lotions.
The rooms were quiet where we were, we were on ground level and it was never loud... even with the music outside from the pools. We could not hear it unles our patio door was open.
The bed was very flat but not uncomfortable.. we slept great! They also told us they had mattress pads if needed.

Tours: We didn't take any of the ones offered through the hotel because they were very expensive, we did our own. This is what we did:

Tulum Ruins:
We caught a Collective from the highway infront of Hacienda. IT was $3 US each or 30 pesos (pesos is cheaper) to get there for each of us.
Then we walked about 5-10 minutes straight down the road we were dropped off at. We arrived at the Ruins and the cost was 50 pesos to get in each. We walked around and took pictures, then went down tot he beach and spent some time there. This beach is beautiful and known to be one of the nicest in the Caribbean.
Then we walked back and shopped a bit at the little shops in the village. We bought our tickets for Xel-Hal at one of the kiosks.. they were offering tickets at 10% off regular price. Our tickets wer 67.00US instead of 75US they were charging at Xel-Ha Park. Then we took the Collectivo Back for 3us each.

XEL-HA: The nest day we went to Xel Ha by Collectivo. 2US each from the Gran Bahia. We used our tickets we bought the day before for 67US to get in. Fun day! Then took the COllectivo back!

These 2 tours would have cost us $300US all together to go through the hotel. We paid $165US.

We also went to the Jungle Place and played with the monkeys which was the highlight of both of our trips. I will write a review about this place too because it was sooo good.

It seemed like a lot of people were doing their own excursions to save money. To rent a car for the day was $45US, so that would be great for anyone who is with 4 or more people.

The resort is soo big but it is easy to get around on the shuttles. There is also so much to do.
Also.... it is the farthest away from the airport and takes about 1 hour and 40 mins to get there.. BUT... it is sooo close to places like Cenotes, Xel Ha, Ruins... we enjoyed the air conditioned bus and seeing where all the other resorts were. It isn't a bad drive!

Just book it, you won't be disappointed!

New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

Me, my husband and our 3 kids (ages 7-10) stayed at te Coba during the last week in February. This was our first trip to Mexico and recommended by family members (there were 27 total friends and family that traveled with us here). It was a 2 hour ride from the airport and that made for some cranky kids. It was a nice first impession though with a warm welcome and fruit and a beverage served upon our arrival. We had to get two suites because of the number of kids, but the rooms did not connect so we had to make due in 1 room for the week (that was frustrating). I found the resort to be too big and the numbering of the rooms/building confusing (got lost the first night and no one on staff would help). Also my husband and cousins found a 4 year old girl wondering by herself and apparently she had been left alone when she fell asleep by her parents. She woke up and wondered outside and she was very upset. The staff did not want to get the police involved and were more concerned about how the parents would feel when they returned then the girl being left by herself. We were not impressed by the lack of accountablity/responsiblity by the hotel staff. With that aside, the pool was beautiful and the beaches alone were worth the trip. The buffet was plentiful and delicious and better than the ala carte restaurants. It was difficult to book large groups for the ala carte dinners and not really worth all the hastle. The entertainment was great and the shopping at the hacienda was fun. Try Playa del Carmen. It was a bit expensive to get there ($100 round trip) but worth the money and time spent. Also, for those of you who like to work out while on vacation - stay away from this hotel's gym. Only 5 pieces of cardio equipment that looked like it came out of a fire sale, and no air conditioning. Don't leave anything in your suitcases that you don't want stolen, as when we arrived home, we noticed that our bags were pickpocketed and we were missing some items. All and all it was a great trip though and we will go back to Mexico some day.. probably not to the Coba again, but will try to find a smaller hotel closer to the airport.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
british columbia, canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

I am going to keep this short.....the Coba was amazing!!!! We went in the first week of Feb 09 for one week, we wish we would have went for two! The food was so great, we prefered the buffets to the al la carte's we didn't like being on a shedule. We didn't get sick of the food at the buffets, they we great! No complaints....if you are planning on hanging out at the pool(s) get up early and put a towel or book on your chair...they go fast, however by the mid afternoon quite a few clear out and you can have one. We felt very safe and were comfortable leaving our bags and things by the pool if we ran up to get a snack.
Our room was close the the lobby and the "activity" pool. It was very clean the snack bar was stocked every day we tipped the guy $5 and he made sure it was full every day with everything...including a few bottles of tequila.
We didn't check out the spa but a lot of people we met said it was great, kind of wish we did....oh well.
Entertainment was great, we didn't partake in alot of it, just sit back and enjoyed, the animation staff was great. Check out the Michael Jackson entertainer, it fills up fast...it was fun and definately entertaining.
All the staff were great, give them a smile and they are willing to go a long way, they were great, if you want a certain brand of alcohol just ask, they are more than willing to get it for you.
All in all it was an amazing honeymoon we can't wait to go back!!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!