“Haven't been here 24 hours and I am not impressed.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Coba

You added Grand Bahia Principe Coba to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - Cancun Km 250. Mexico, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
“Haven't been here 24 hours and I am not impressed.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

I Checked in last night to the Coba after standing in line for an HOUR, no drinks were severed to us, no one came by to tell us about the hotel while we waited. After an hour wait, I find out that they are over booked and moving me for one night to the "luxury resort" across the road.
Normally I would complain about being upgraded, but first off, besides this place is smaller and quieter, I'm not sure what makes it luxury. The room was nothing special, buffet was good last night. But I can't compare that to Coba since I didn't stay there.
My problem is that I have to check our of my room at noon. And then I can't check into Coba until 3pm today. What a waste of my time. Last night before I was sent over here, the guy at the front desk told me I would get a "gold" bracelet and free lock for the safe, as well as I can keep the room here until I need to head over to Coba. Well so far, that has not been honored. I have to check out of my room at noon, and wait until 3 for my new room.
I didn't come here and pay a ridiculous amount to travel over time of year to be inconvenienced, I came here to get away and relax.so far, it has just been a headache.
I have friends coming here next month and I have already sent them a message to see if they can switch resorts.

• Stayed December 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,622)
  • Polish first
Racine, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Spent most time at gorgeous pool, trips to beach-great sand, small fish off breakfront-shallow enough to see without snorkel equip. Mango dacquiris and mango margeritas, tasty buffets, good selection of ala carte restaurants.

Room Tip: 3rd floor makes great leg exercise. Pack a day bag if you don't like to climb stairs. No elevato...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

What can I say, AMAZING! Hotel is brilliant, location is out of this world. Hotel staff very friendly and helpful, excellent choice in food in the buffet halls, plenty of A la carte choices too, my favourite was the Japanese.
Would definitely recommend to anyone.

Osoyoos, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

To start off with I have to thank Hector Ubiera for the special evening he provided for myself and 12 friends. It was a wonderful night in a private room with a mariachi band, excellent service and food. A night to remember at the Le Gourmet Restaurant. He also arranged a terrific Birthday Party for one of the members for 14 of us at the Oasis Restaurant. The service, food and party was excellent. So again Hector I thank you and your staff for making my holiday a memorable one and I have a special place in my heart for you.

What can I say , I absolutely love this place. The grounds are beautiful and the staff are remarkable. A special thank you to our bar maids Teresa, Olga,, Jocelyn, Ophelia, Maria and especially to Julian the bartender who made sure I got a Cappuccino every morning. Another wonderful person was Lenin at the front desk of Premiere Akumal who when I was stressed out sent me a beautiful bouquet of flowers to my room. Thank you , you all made my vacation terrific.

The Privilege Club Staff is very special to me and my friends. Ana Lopez does a terrific job and has wonderful friendly staff. Thanks to Javier, Martin and Antonio for making the Privilege Beach a really special place for all the members and myself. I always look forward to seeing their smiling faces and terrific sense of humor every day. They make my holiday the best. I can't forget the Privilege cart drivers who always have a big smile and happy to drive me anywhere on the property. I can't remember all your names but thanks to Abel, Mario. Estaban, Freddy, Armin, Omero. Jacobo, Abel, Miguel, Saul. Juan Carlos, Elmer, Daniel and all the rest. You are a great bunch of guys.

I highly recommend the Gran Bahia to anyone who wants a beautiful place to stay with friendly staff, great food and a relaxing atmosphere for all ages. The place is huge with lots of things to do. I can't wait until I go back!!

FELIZ NAVIDAD to all of you and a Happy New Year!!!

Room Tip: I like to stay in building 1 in the Coba section as the Cozumel Buffet and Premiere Lounge are right...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stayed at this hotel with my wife, 2 kids (ages 3 and 1) and mother in law the week of Dec 13. We enjoyed our stay overall, but there were a few shortcomings, mainly the maid service. One of the reasons I chose this resort was I spent a week at the Gran Bahia in Punta Cana a few years ago and loved it. The Punta Cana resort is definitely a step above this one.

I’ll start with what we enjoyed about Coba:
-Check-in was quick and the person that helped us was very friendly and efficient. The process of getting on the bus both at the airport and at the hotel to return to the airport was well organized.
-Grounds are well manicured. The animals and iguanas running around were fun for the kids. A lot of people were feeding the coates, and the animals seem to be very bold when it comes to interacting with humans.
-The kids water/play area is nice and my kids enjoyed it.
-The Brazilian and Mexican a la carte restaurants were good.
-If there are any bacon lovers out there, the Tulum breakfast buffet had it, but Coba did not. Coba only had turkey bacon. Overall, good variety at the buffet and no illness in our group.
-One of the photographers, Santos, did a great job taking some family portraits.
-Because it’s such a big resort, the bus ride from the Cancun airport didn’t make any stops at any other resorts, so that helped get to the resort quicker.
-The Tulum beach was beautiful.
-The bartender at the Tulum pool was friendly and made good suggestions for drinks.
-The other guests at the hotel were very friendly.
-The trolleys to take you to Tulum or within Coba come frequently. They share the same paths as the guests at the hotel, so you have to watch out for them if you’re walking.
-The minibar was stocked every day.

A few things we didn’t enjoy:
-Bath towels missing from room one day. Called front desk 4 times in 3 hours. The last time, I was told I’m not entitled to towels, and I don’t understand what kind of hotel doesn’t provide towels for their guests. After arguing with the person for a few minutes, somebody finally brought some towels. 3 hours feels like a really long time when you’re waiting for these to put your kids to bed! Other days of the week, even though there were 4 people staying in the room, we would usually only get two towels. We also had a single occupancy room in our group, and that person received more towels than my room which had 4 people staying in it.
-Surfaces are not cleaned during our stay in our room. Mirrors were filthy, and so were dressers and vanity in bathroom. The floors were filthy as well. I spilled a small amount of water on the floor, and after I wiped it up, the tissue was black.
-One day housekeeping left our room door open. They’re lucky nothing was missing.
-The staff at the Coba buffet seem too busy. Takes a long time to get an empty plate taken away and takes a long time to get a drink refilled. After a few days of this, I ate at Tulum more often where the service seemed better.
-The rooms smelled musty, and that can be expected to a certain extent in the south, but the smell was pretty bad in our rooms. We asked for a dehumidifier the first day, but it never came. I just opened the patio door for around 30 mins each morning and that really helped. Since I was there in December, the mornings were not hot or humid.
-There are salespeople in the lobby that harass you every time you walk by – that got really, really, really annoying.
-Should this hotel be advertised as beachfront? I knew it wasn’t directly on the beach when I booked it, but it is a good 15 minute trip to get to the beach, between walking to the Coba lobby, waiting for the trolley to take you to Tulum, and then walking to the beach when you get to Tulum.

In summary, we enjoyed our stay overall, but will not be back and this resort is definitely not 5 stars. If anyone is going, I would recommend staying at Tulum since that is where I ended up spending most of my time. The beach, most of the a la cartes and better service seem to be at Tulum.

Room Tip: Stay at Tulum instead.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Doug,

Thank you for your choice and appreciating the check-in process, the grounds, the wildlife, the water park, the restaurants, variety of food at the buffet, the beach and the shuttle system.

We apologize for the problems with the housekeeping service and that at the buffet that you have commented. We would like to assure you that it certainly does not reflect the commitment and the quality that we have exhibited for many years. Your concerns have been forwarded to the correspondent departments in order to improve the areas mentioned. Speaking about Privilege Club, the principal reason of this program is to inform you about the benefits you may have with it in the future. We are really sorry that this attention was not up to your expectations. We have already discussed this topic with our entire team in order to improve this area as well.

We hope to welcome you at our complex in the future.

Kind regards,
Iryna Shapoval
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Overall, I do not regret my decision to choose Coba for a 10 day family vacation. The staff here are very hospitable, and the grounds are impressive. But this is TripAdvisor, so readers are expecting some sort of detailed opinion. Here are some points:

- Do not come here to sleep. The tiled floors (in and outside the rooms) allow for every footstep and conversation to be heard. Not sure why a neighbour family needed to have a loud conversation outside our room each morning before 7:30, or why the cleaning staff hit their mop on the sides of each step before 8 am. You will be awake at the crack of dawn, and will not be able to sleep until after 11 pm, as the music and people noise is so great. An alarm clock above us rang each 5 minutes for an hour at 5 am three nights (some bozo kept hitting snooze), and the squeeqing of their bed could have required for some creative explanation for my 9 year old.
- The walkways are burdened with an over-abundance of trams. Sometimes there were 4 in sight: oncoming, behind, and even two passing each other on what anyone would consider to be a single lane. Pedestrians (and children) beware. While operators were courteous, I felt the scenario was dangerous. They ask you not to walk on the grass, but how in the hell else do you avoid duelling people movers trying to pass each other? After 10 days, we still could not figure out the logic behind the tram routes.
- Noticed wait staff cleaning tables with their bare hands (grabbing glasses by their insides), and then serving drinks while holding the rim of the glass. This is a ‘no-no’. I spoke to a manager and did not see it occur again.
- Restaurants were not impressive. Selections seemed to be too elaborate, and the food quality was poor (Mikado excluded).
- Buffet food was highly repetitive and boring. Scrambled eggs floating in water, and a lot of 'what is that stuff?'. We preferred the Tulum buffet.
- Phoning the front desk from the hotel room was ineffective. The individual answering the phone did not understand my asking how to adjust the temp in our room.
- Rooms were decent, although mattresses were bricks. Woke up sore.
- At times, water is not hot, and I would argue was not even warm enough for a shower.
- No beach at Coba, and as of October, we are not able to access Akumal’s amenities. Tulum’s beach is not impressive.
- I know it is December, but the pools are cold! Not uncommon to only see a few bathers in a pool at one time.
- About an hour and a half by bus from the airport. Luckily we were the only stop.
- Oh, if you come here you will have the opportunity to be suckered in by the ‘Privilege Club’ about 100 times (they even call your room to tell you they have a gift for you). They do not let you pass by in the lobby without making jargonist and cliche ‘car salesman’ conversation with you. My advice is to tell them to first buy themselves what it is they are trying to sell you, and then you will give them the time of day. These guys try to piggyback on the friendliness of the other staff, so initially you feel obliged to acknowledge them. See guests walking around the hotel touting their club shirts. You got suckered. Coba: get rid of these guys. We paid to come to an all-inclusive, and we do not need to be continually propositioned by these slimy salesmen. But then, you get a cut of what they sell, and dollars are king...right? Left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Again, staff were excellent, and many of the issues identified would likely be experienced at any other resort. In the end, I think I would opt for a smaller resort where distances to the beach and restaurants were not such a marathon. If you are happy sitting by a pool and eating from the same unimpressive menu, and don’t mind walking a few miles each day, Coba is great.

Dear Harry,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your holidays and for sharing your impressions.

We are glad that you were pleased with our hospitality and the grounds.

It is a pity that you did not enjoy all the services we offer as all the people are different and have different likes; however our team always works extremely hard in order to provide the guests with the best possible experience. All your comments are well received and forwarded to the correspondent departments to reinforce the areas indicated and to insure we maintain and deliver the level of the service expected from us.

We hope to welcome you at our hotel in the future.

Kind regards,
Iryna Shapoval
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Bahia Princip had a lot of information about their echo policies. Take care of nature and animals and so on. How could then the hotel have some wild animal for photographing. Among others a baby ape. Probably drugged and to caught a baby like that often a must to killed the parents of the baby. Could that be echo? Not in my world. Many other things are good with hotel as a nice big garden, lovely beach and good service. Maybe will come back next year. I really hope the hotel then follow echo policies for all animals!!!

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!