“Amazing Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Coba

You added Grand Bahia Principe Coba to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - Cancun Km 250. Mexico, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Guelph, Ontario
“Amazing Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

This was our honeymoon... our first vacation was at a Bahia Principe hotel (in Dominican) and loved every moment...

This resort is always trying to do it's best and make the experience beautiful. We constantly had staff coming up to us asking if our rooms were ok, the food, service... anything...

the mini bar is always completely stocked each day.

It has many pools/bars/restaurants etc... I think I gained nearly 5 lbs while down there for the week....

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,624)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

My daughter and I stayed at GBP Coba from Dec 16-23. We had a WONDERFUL time! My daughter turned 21 on the trip and I am 45. I mention this to set the context for our experience. I am a good verbal communicator – to me this is important as many of the complaints I read on this site I realize now were because people expected the resort staff to be mind readers and think of everything. Sometimes all that is needed is a bit of articulate, kind communication and issue is resolved. Rude or inconsiderate people who demand special service and don’t tip – you embarrass the rest of us who truly appreciate their efforts. If you travel in peak season, expect less service! We noticed a huge difference in service levels, buffet maintenance etc. between the 16-20 and the 21-23 as the place filled with the Christmas holiday crowd. We went frequently to the other resorts mostly by the resort shuttles, sat pool side (small and large pools), ate at the buffets and at the a la carte restaurants, travelled to the Coba ruins and Playa de Carmen by Collectivo (We felt perfectly safe during daylight taking the Collectivo. Take a taxi if you want to pay 10x the price. We found the Collectivo to be similar to a Canadian taxi van), went to a show (I loved it, my daughter not so much) and paid extra for the Mexican Fiesta (disappointing). The room - clean, large room, marble floors and counter in bathroom, jet tub, air conditioned room which became an oasis from the heat, comfortable beds (we didn't find them hard like other reviews). Resorts – loved that we had access to the 3 resorts as we like variety, immaculately clean grounds, great pools with swim up bars, wonderful variety of mixed drinks, incredible service from housekeeping, restaurants and pools, fun pool activities (water aerobics, water yoga, volleyball, dance lessons, bingo, trivia contests etc.), shady spots not hard to find for those who want to limit their sun exposure. I got eaten alive with mosquitoes when I didn’t apply insect repellent before sun down – my daughter was okay. I must have sweet blood! My daughter would have liked more night life with more people her age…in retrospect; we should have traveled with another mother/daughter pair her age so she’d have someone to go to the disco etc. with. I tried going to the disco with her but it felt a bit awkward. There are a lot of couples and families at the resorts…not so great for 2 single girls. But again, we could have been more active with the social activities and met more people than we did. She did have a fun afternoon with some girls from Alberta. Beaches offered variety – rockier beach for those that like things natural and combed beach with roped off swimming area for those that like only sand.
Food - My daughter is a vegetarian (ovo-lacto, doesn’t eat fish) but we found that the buffets and a la carts had many vegetarian choices (the Japanese restaurant accommodated by cooking tofu for her) phenomenal selection in the buffets (our favourites - the fresh made granola, fresh croissants, cappuccinos, deep fried bananas, fresh squeezed juices, crème caramel, ribs, Mexican food (salsa, guacamole etc.), and the list goes on…we liked the Coba buffet the best as it was the largest) and elegant dinning (yes, you need dressy clothes) in the a la carte restaurants (we tried the Mikado – Japanese, Tequila – Mexican and Portofino -Italian – all were great). Spa – I treated my daughter to a Mayan Chocolate Dream spa treatment (she was covered in chocolate, wrapped up, then rinsed it off and was massaged in chocolate oil – her skin was like BUTTER and she smelled divine! I had a spa pedicure that was nice as well. Money – bring lots of small change in pesos i.e. 20 and 50 peso bills for tips (I left 20 pesos daily for housekeeping, 50 at the a la cartes (show them your tip early if you want special service, and then 20-50 if I they made special accommodations). My biggest complaint is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get small change on the resort and only one bank machine at La Hacienda (a shuttle away). Also, buy and pay for things in pesos not US dollars if you want negotiate a good price at the La Hacienda shops and booths. Give exact change when off the resort when possible as my daughter and another traveller were short changed on two separate occasions. Excursions - You really could spend a week at the resort without taking day trips if you wanted to not spend money but there are some great excursions as well. I was glad we didn‘t book through a travel agent for the Coba ruins or Tulum ruins (you can go there easily on your own), the only thing I’d book is a snorkelling trip on a boat. Swimming with the dolphins seams like a rip off. I heard mixed reviews on it as the cost is crazy ($150 US per person + $40 US for the pictures – no cameras allowed). What to bring – mosquito repellent, anti-itch ointments, aloe vera gel (if like me, you burn easily), dressy clothes and an evening bag for dinners (note that they don’t allow cut offs, casual tank tops etc.), cover ups that totally cover you up if you want to wear them to breakfast, at least three swim suits as you’ll be living in them and (due to the humidity, they don’t dry unless you leave them in the sun), bungee cord clothes line for the balcony, comfortable walking sandals (dressy and casual) and cool runners for hikes, water shoes for the rocky part of the beach, swim wear cleaner, shawl or light weight cardigan as it cools down at night, pants as well as shorts/skirts, snorkel gear and practice beforehand if possible. Tips - keep your sliding door closed in the evening to prevent mosquitoes from coming in while you sleep, get out to the pools by 7:30 am if you want to reserve a lounger with a towel (they need to get a better system), trade towels for dry ones at the end of your pool/beach day, pace yourself with the buffet i.e. check out the options then choose one thing each meal to try so that you don’t tire of eating the same things each meal, book restaurants as early as possible as they book up fast (we had some late sittings which worked out well as it allowed us time to nap, shower, change etc.). Have a great holiday!

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — hard to get change in pesos
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

Our second trip to the Coba in the past 2 years. We love this place. I highly recommend it. We stayed 8 days this time.

First - I am someone that cannot stand people that complain about petty things. So be prepared. :) A complaint in my books is that there is a giant rat in your room. Not that you only have 2 cans of beer in your fridge and everyone else has 3! Or there are too many bugs, lizards, snakes, too hot, too windy, too humid, etc.

A few things about the Coba. The resort is about 45 minutes south from the airport. It is one of the furthest from the airport, so be prepared. Check in is 3pm. So plan your trip based on that. Meaning - if you land at 8am, get your bags and get to the hotel by 930-10am. You will not be able to get into your room for about 5 hours! Don't stand at the front desk screaming at the staff because your room is not ready. Checkout is around noon, then they have to clean your room. We typically plan our flight to land around noon-1pm, and it gets us there around 2-230, we sit in the lobby and have a drink or grab a quick bite to eat and then get our room.

The rooms are nice - king size bed, small sitting area with a sofa (our daughter's bed), etc. Whirlpool bathtub, fridge with beer, soda, candy, etc. The maids come everyday to clean your room. The maids do not stock the fridge, so leave a tip in or on the fridge for that guy! I recommend bringing along at least 100 $1 bills for tipping. Tip the maid a couple dollars a day, the fridge guy, etc. It is not required, but the staff works very hard to do everything for you.

The Coba is 1 of 3 hotels on the resort. It is NOT on the beach! You can walk to the beach in about 5 minutes by walking through the Tulum/Akumal hotel areas, or take the shuttle. The beach area is beautiful. There is a pier and a rock wall built. The reef is roped off, so stay out of there. And as I said last year - there are rocks on the beach and in the water! Bring swim shoes. This is one of the funniest things to hear people complain about. If you don't want rocks stay in the pool area. The pool areas are great. Swim-up bars, etc. Nice to just hang out and relax.

The food is great. Once again, if you can't find something you like, you fall into my group of constant complainers. They have sushi, hamburgers, pasta bar, fish, chicken, steak, pizza, etc, etc etc. Everything you can imagine is there for you. So, if you are upset that they don't have your favorite chicken sandwich from McDonald's, please stay home! The specialty restaurants are great as well. Italian, Japanese, etc. Love them all.

The entertainment is nice - the staff puts on shows every night. It is great to sit there relax and watch the show. They also have a fiesta night. This cost extra. $16 each. So be prepared. They will charge it to your room if you want.

Off the resort. There is a world that is outside the resort, and you don't have to pay a tour company extra $$ to see it. Walk out to the road and you will see white vans, these are the buses. Stand on the side of the road, wave them down and they will take you as far north as Cancun, or down to Tulum (which is a short ride south of the resort). 20 pesos or $2 per adult, kids are free. Just tell the driver where you want to go. They typically will wait until the bus is full before going, so you may have to wait. (just another tip for the complainers out there) We usually take a day trip to Playa del Carmen (25 min trip north) and walk around, shop, eat, etc. The Tulum ruins are a must see. You will have to walk across the road to the southbound lane to catch the bus. They will drop you off along the road, and you will have to walk to the Tulum ruins from the road. It is about a 10-15 min walk. Pay at the gate - I believe it was around $8 each, and go in. The beach is truly perfection. Walk off the ruins, down the stairs and you are on one of the top 5 most beautiful beaches in the world.
Our favorite spot in the area is Akumal. Which is a tiny village about 1.5 miles north of the resort. You can walk, or take the bus. Short walk to the beach from the bus stop and you can swim with the turtles. TIP - (Buy your own snorkel gear before you leave home) This will save you some $$) The restaurant (Lol Ha) on the beach is incredible. Everything we had was great. Lunch for the 3 of us with all the drinks, etc, was about $40.
A few other things. Yes, there are bugs that will bite the hell out of you in certain areas of the resort. Especially at night near the Hacienda. Bring a lot of bug spray, but of course what do you expect in the middle of the jungle? When you get out of customs at the airport, totally ignore everyone there, they are all timeshare people, and they can be very aggressive. Just head out the door to the pickup area and find your ride. Feel free to email me with any questions. We are looking to plan our next trip in the early summer.

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — leaving to come home
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

This was our third stay here in the past two years. We have a family member that had a heart transplant in July of 06 and it was her wish to visit a vacation destination with family. Make a wish foundation gratiously provided for all immediate family to travel to and stay at this resort in March 07 - our first time here. My wife and I were very skeptical based on the web site as we weren't too keen on being at a resort as large as this, however once here we were much more than pleasantly surprised! The resort is Huge - if you are looking for a small quaint spot this isn't it; yet if you are looking for a value based resort, with beautiful grounds that are immaculately kept, great rooms that are very large and meticulously cleaned, friendly, attentive staff, and more pools and buffets/restaurants than anyone could spend time at in a week - then come here!
I loved this place so much that in Oct of this year we returned for the third time.
The second time April 08 was just my wife and I, then a couple of months back we traveled with 3 other couples. Each time we have had a great visit and this has showcased how versatile the GBP is - whether you are a family, a married couple, or group of friends it is a great choice.
To sum it up - the place is gorgeous, well kept, good food, helpful staff and reasonably priced. The pools are very diverse - some loud and fun others quiet and peaceful. The beach is huge and clean. Only drawback is how long it takes to get here. About 30 min. past Playa which is nearly 2 hours from Cancun. It's a long bus ride when you have been sitting on a plane for many hours. (tip - avoid the guys at the airport that say they will take your bags to the bus for you - they pass themselves off as being part of your travel group, walk you and your bags about 200 feet and then insist on a tip - one of the people in our group refused and a near altercation transpired - just say no thank you and wheel your bags the short distance yourself! I gave hiim $5 US and he looked at it like I was giving him a dime.)
We have visited just about every excursion available - as with any hotel I would suggest you book them yourself through one of the companies in Playa or Cancun - depending on where you are staying. You get the exact trip for 50 - 75% less money.
If you do stay here take the bus (15 person white vans) that all the locals ride. Can be found just outside the main gates - cost is only $2.50 per person into Playa versus paying $40 for a taxi.
We have stayed at the Grand Oasis (don't stay here), Club Med (nice but pricey), Moon Palace (nice, med price point, but wouldn't go back) and the GBP Coba (as has been stated 3 times). We are going to try a different resort on our next visit - next week, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place!!

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions about this resort, Playa or any of the excursions.

Happy Holidays!

• Liked — Cleanliness,
  • Disliked — Distance from Cancun (airport)
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Burlington Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

Well we just got back late Saturday from 1 week at the Coba. I decided to write our experiences because I like to read the reviews before I go anywhere. I'll keep it short and honest. Overall the place is beautiful. We had great weather, the grounds are just beautiful (alot of hard work goes into keeping them that way). The place is huge but if you don't want to walk, there's a tram that takes you everywhere around the 3 hotels. The food was very good - if you are able to reserve the Japanese, it was awesome. We were at a table where the chef cooks at your table. The pools are beautiful - lots to choose from. The beach where you snorkel is great, the rest was a little rocky but we had alot of fun an;yways. We had paid for the Golden club which was suppose to be partial ocean view, well there was no ocean close to where we were, in fact, we were at the complete other end of the resort. A few things bothered us a little bit, for example we wanted to order room service (there's a menu in the room with specific things you can order). It was 9 am and we wanted fruit with coffee but when we called, the girl said we could only have hot dogs or hamburgers, so we asked just for a big pot of coffee and was then told that there was a coffee maker in our room! Which by the way, when there's 3 of you, you go through a small pot quite quickly. Anyway, that was a little bit of a turnoff. Our daughter broke out in some sort of rash or bites on one side of her forehead and 1 cheek and one arm. Someone said there are bed bugs and someone thought they were allergies - not sure which. Bed bugs made sense if they were in her pillow because she sleeps with 1 arm under it and her forehead and face turned to one side. It has cleared up since. The other negative thing was that with the Golden, you are suppose to be guaranteed 4 à la carte reservations but we were only able to get the Japanese and that was at 9 pm. Every other restaurant was booked every night! Luckily the buffet restaurant was very good with lots of choices. The employees are all very very nice and friendly. Other than the few problems, we had a great time and would go there again. Well I said I'd be short, but there's so much to say! We were there for Christmas and Christmas Eve the buffet dinner was turkey. They really went out of their way to put everyone in the Christmas spirit - decorations, music, Christmas trees etc... We had a very nice time. Hope this helps.

Stayed December 2008
vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2008

We stayed at the Coba from Dec 19th to the 26th. There are three resorts on the site (Coba, Akumal and Tulum). Tulum is the resort nearest to the beach and the oldest resort (about 12 years old). Akumal is a little farther to the beach and is about 8 years old and Coba has been built in the very back of those two resorts so quiet far from the beach and is only 3 years old. Each of them has a few pools and jaccuzi, snack bars open 24 hours and many "à la carte restaurant". For those who do not want to walk too much, there are some little trains (thank God) that travel all day long to bring you wherever you want to go on the site or bring you from one resort to another.
We had access to the three resorts and to all of their facilities including all of their bars, theatres, restaurants, etc. The food at the buffet restaurants was ok but not great . We have definitely seen better in the past at some other places. At some point, the food was not hot or the containers were empty. This was at 19h30 at night, which is still early to go eat. The hotels (the three resorts) were booked solid and it might be the reason why we sometimes encountered a lack of food but there are no reasons for cold food.
The restaurants à la carte we went to were all excellent. The staff is great and polite and the service is outstanding.
The site is very clean, lots of trees, wide sidewalks and well lit at night. At the Coba, the rooms are very nice and a good size since they are all Jr suites.
The beach is not the nicest we have seen. It is a 'rocky' beach so be careful. There are a big part where you can not swim at all, which was very disappointing. In front of Akumal no swimming possible. If you plan to go for the beach, you will really be disappointed.
Yes you have to get up early if you want a chair at the pool but it depends which pool. The pool close to our room did not have a lot a lounge chairs to start with, so if you were going to reserve a chair at 07h30 in the morning, it was already too late. A lot of people were mad to get to the pool later in the day to find no place to sit.
All in all it is a very nice place to stay, lots to do, lots of sports and if you want to jog and walk, this is a great place. We do not consider the hotel a 5 stars but more close to a 4. We really have enjoyed everything but would go somewhere else next time. The fact that the resort is 1h30m away from the airport can also be a factor to keep in mind since it is a very long way especially if you are making few stops on your way to drop other vacationers at their resorts, the drive can then be up to 2h30m.

• Liked — many restaurants à la carte
  • Disliked — the beach
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2008

I stayed at the GBP Coba section in May of 2008 with another friend for a week. The resort itself is massive, but that will always give you something new to do!

The pools: Wow what can I say?! There are so many of them around each of the GBP sections. Each of the sections (Coba, Akumal and Tulum) have about 2 pools each. At each section of the resort, there is a quite pool and an entertainment pool. Lots of chairs around everywhere.

The beach: The beach is very big considering there are three sections to the resort. We didn't spend too much time at the beach since we are pool people at times, but I can say that the sand is quite nice, but chairs are usually harder to find mid-day. The waves aswell can tend to be quite large in the afternoon and are harder to walk around in the ocean.

The food: You are allowed to go to any of the 3 buffets (Coba, Akumal or Tulum) but we ended up staying at the Coba section always. There is a great selection of food in the buffet and as long as you don't take everything the same day, you will not get bored! The snack bars also have a great selction of food. We did go to different snack bars, which carried the same selection of food primarily since we went to a different pool or side of the beach each day.

The room: The room was quite nice. We asked for two beds but were given 2 beds pushed in together (the Caribbean idea of a king size bed!). We really did not care to complain that there weren't two individual beds since we liked the location of our room. Email the resort ahead of your stay and ask for a map of the resort if you really want to map out the location of your room.

A la carte: We ended up going to the Mexican a la carte and Japanese (we booked 3 but decided to go to 2 only). The Mexican was nice and entertaining. The Japanese was delicious since we both love Japanese and anything sushi related! Definitely try to get a seat with the live cooking session!

Entertainment: We ended up becoming best friends with some of the entertainment staff at the Coba section and kept ourselves occupied during the week since it was just two of us that went this time around. They were friendly and always came up to us to ask us to participate in some activities that were going on either in the pool or around the resort. The nightly shows were also quite good. Remember, they are not professionals... but they sure can make you laugh at times!

Overall, we had a great time at the GBP in the Riviera Maya! The resort is quite large, you will end up taking the 'tram' to get around.

If you are looking to get some souveniers, take the local bus (yes the bus!) to Playa del Carmen where they will drop you off around 5th Avenue. We spent about half a day in Playa del Carmen and decided to take the ferry over the Cozumel just for the experience. It's about 20 dollars to get to Cozumel and back (about a 45 min ride), I highly suggest going on the top deck! You will get a lot of sun and a great view... look out for the sea turtles by the ferry!

The Coba section is the newest of the GBP in the Riviera Maya and I highly suggest booking there. The Coba is the farthest away from the beach, but also the nicest. You can always take the tram to get around and walk everywhere else.

I do hope my review makes you want to choose this resort! We definitely had a great time... one thing I must say, there were a lot of families and couples... so not really a singles place (like we were!). Enjoy!!

• Liked — The size of resort and how many pools were around!
  • Disliked — Nothing! It was great!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!