“Loved Every Minute of It” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Coba

You added Grand Bahia Principe Coba to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - Cancun Km 250. Mexico, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Snohomish, Washington
“Loved Every Minute of It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

My husband and I loved our stay at this resort. Our first time at an all-incluse and it will probably ruin all other future all-inclusives for us. I'll admit at first it's a bit overwhelming because of how huge it is. However, once you figure out where everything is and how to use their very effective tram car system to get to places in this resort and the two adjoining properties, you'll never be bored and you can't possibly ever go hungry or thirsty. We are not fussy eaters and I'd say the buffets were vast, the 12+ ala carte restaurants are all excellent and I've never ate, drank, or was treated better at a resort. Loved the ability to use the adjoined properties' pools, restaurants, etc. They have a dive shop on site and tourist desk so even if you want to get away that's covered. Also the evening shows were pretty good and a few were quite impressive. I really have no complaints at all other than our room was a bit humid and our things took a long time to dry out. All staff is very polite and professional and the grounds, etc. were meticulously maintained. We loved it so much I think we will have to go back! Next time I want to stay at Bahia Principe Tulum because it's right on the beach.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Dear Tripadvisor user,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about your stay at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts. We are honored that you trusted us your first vacations in an all- inclusive resort.

We are very happy that your holidays were great and that you had a good time with us since your satisfaction is our best reward.

We would like to welcome you back soon.

Kindest regards,
Enjoy an all-inclusive holiday as a couple with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,617)
  • Polish first
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

2nd time back to COBA and had a great time. If you go, I have a few suggestions; Two of the staff you should look for in the Premier Lobby and Restaurant. Bellhop Jose will take care of you, give you tips and I promise he will make you laugh. He's one of the reasons we went back to COBA. Fabulous employee! Waiter Zacharius was another. We had breakfast with him every morning he was there. Great guy, hard working and again very funny! Some things you need to bring, insulated cup, water shoes for the ocean, sunscreen, and an appetite. Great food and drinks. Decent nightly entertainment. I enjoyed the Elvis show more because it was a live band and not recorded like the Michael Jackson show. Still, pretty good. We were there a little too early this year (Beginning of January). A little rainy and cool but we still had a fabulous time. The golf course is amazing but a bit pricey. Our "free round of golf" still cost us $125 per person to rent clubs and a cart. We did notice a new added focus on children entertainment and activities from our first visit. This is great if you plan to travel with children. At times, the children stuff was a bit annoying, (that's where the 4 came from in my rating). You can't beat this place for value though. This is the main reason we went back to COBA. Great value, Great time was had by all. Put COBA on your short list, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: We like the Villa's 4, 5, 6, or 7. Quiet, close to a wading pool and bar. Also closer to the Pre...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Tripadvisor user,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments. It is delightful that you had great holidays and enjoyed your time here.

We are honored that you had decided to trust us your holidays a second time since we are always happy to welcome back all our guests. We are very proud of our job because your comments show us that we fulfilled your expectations and you really had a great time with us.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Our trip to Mexico was, in one word, incredible. The hotel, beach and surrounding wildlife were stunning and the warmth and service from the staff exceeded all my expectations. The grounds are very sprawling which can be overwhelming at first, but actually means that you can find your own peace of heaven and not feel crowded by other guests. The hacienda offered incredible nightlife for all ages (with many a night spent in the disco - great DJ's!) and the hotel entertainment also proved to be really good fun.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone, no matter what kind of holiday you're looking for, as it's in the most stunning location and offers a great base if you want to go sightseeing like we did to Chichen Itza, Tulum, the cenotes and swimming with turtles in Akumal bay.

It was our first time in Mexico and a dream come true. My husband and I feel very lucky that we were able to experience this; it was honestly the holiday of our lives.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Justyna,

Thank you very much for your comments. It is kind of you to share your experience at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts. We are delighted to read that you were pleased with the facilities.

We are very proud of our job because your comments show us that we fulfilled your expectations and you really had an incredible vacation at our hotel.

Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

We spend 8 days in this resort and it was not enough for me. I wish I could stay there for 2 weeks...

Transfer: we used Canada transfer (you need to pay for both ways after first leg) and it was great. It took us 1 hr 20 min to get to the hotel due to accident on the road. We were offered cold water and beer and was given wet towels upon entering the van. It took us less than an hour to get back to the airport due to very early flight back.

Check-in: We booked out trip through Expedia and upon arriving to Coba lobby we were told we need to check in at another lobby (which doesn't make our van driver happy). We had to check in at Premier Lobby. The process was quick (we waited 5 minutes maybe), we've got welcome drinks right the way. We were given a lock with the key for a in-room safe (at no charge). I didn't get why we had to check in at Premier lobby because we never paid for premier gold club or whatever hey have...

Rooms: I emailed to the hotel prior to our arrival asking for 2 rooms being assign close to each other. I also asked for pack-n-play. I've got it all! Rooms were next to each other and pack-n-play was all set. And we even had a champagne in our room waiting for us - nice!!! One of the rooms instead of having one bad had two - not a big deal.
The small was not horrible here. We brought air fresheners but looks like they didn't work for a long period of time.
Linens and towels felt a little wet. Our cloths didn't have any odor after returning back home (I was afraid after reading other reviews).

Hotel Grounds: Great! I wish they were not using recycled water for their grass because smell was not great. Coati and iguanas all over the place.

Pools: Hate that people was reserving chairs by the pool. It was annoying. I wish management was going and clearing it out around 9 am each morning to make a room for people who were actually by the pool... Quite pool was not so quite during our stay. The group of Americans (45 year olds or so) was drinking there and screaming-smoking. One of this old fat lady got inside the bar and was serving drinks for her group... embarrassing people for sure. After they dumped full cups of beer and mixed drinks inside the pool I was discussed and didn't feel like swimming there. Of course pools were not closed or clean after that.... By the way, pools need to be clean because you can see black mold between tiles all over the place.
Kids water park was great and my kids liked it.

Beach: it's a great beach for kids, but not so much fun for adults. I didn't appreciate topless girls there and even saw some family with nude elementary school age kids... I have a hard time explaining "private parts" thing to my kids now... Not very appropriate if you ask me. I think hotel management should assign one part of the beach where topless and smoking is not allowed. Beach chars are so close to each other and when someone is smoking it's horrible for people who do not smoke.
All fishes we saw were by the bridge. Snorkeling was very limited.

Smoking: people smoke everywhere! I would appreciate certain designated locations being in place so non-smokers can avoid smoking people.

Buffets: we like our Coba Buffet. It was great! We went to Akumal Buffet once (for lunch, since it was closest to the beach) and hated it - too many people, less choices and many empty plates. Tulum's buffet was good, but Coba' s is the best.
A lot of choices everyday. Never got tired of this food. Not many options for fruits though...

la carte: we visited Mediterráneo (didn't like it - I've got chicken and it was over salted and peppered on the bone, servers were not patient and made us feel uncomfortable somehow), El Portillo (was pretty good - servers made our day - very nice people. Food was good - I've got shrimps), and La Gran Tortuga (liked it the most - the concept is a little off from other Brazilian restaurants I've been at - your server is the one who bring different meets to your table and don't really pay attention if your cart if on red or green side)

Tips: most workers were great! There were some who looked like hated their job. We tipped everyone at the buffet-restaurant, cleaning staff, bartenders. I was kind of shocked to see that many people didn't tip at all.

Housekeeping: Our rooms were cleaned daily sometime between 9 am and 12 pm. It was good. As for fridge stocking, I am not sure who did this and when. I asked for extra water when I saw guy delivering water second day of our stay.

Transportation: it was hit or miss all the time. Few days it took us 40 minutes to get to the beach!!! We walked there few times instead of waiting. I suggest adding more cars for 9 am time. The walk for us was only 10 minutes work. Some drivers were very rude and not willing to take you (they asked where you were going and was saying they are not going their even the sign said opposite).

Overall we had a great time.

Room Tip: we were in villa 22 or 23 and it was great
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Tripadvisor user,

We really appreciate your valuable review about your stay at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts. It is a pleasure to read that your holidays were great since one of our main goals is to make our guests happy.

We would like to thank you for your suggestions. We have already reviewed them to take actions where is necessary.

Cordially,
Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive on the Riviera Maya
Sydney, Nova Scotia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Just wanted to say that we loved the Grand Bahia Principe Coba, and being our first time to Mexico, we will definitely be back. We stayed April 14-21

We flew with westjet, which was great, but used canada tranfers to get to and from airport. They were great and only took 1hr 10 min to get to our resort, $140 return for the 7 of us with our drinks on ice and refreshing wash cloths.

Check-in
We arrived shortly after 1am, checkin in was fast and great , very friendly and helpful, and got a trolly cart to take us right to our room.

our room
We were in villa 17a in rooms 31730 and 31731 on third floor,

We did request adjoining rooms with double beds on second or third floor as we have 5 children with us. We did get third floor with rooms next to each other but not adjoining, with one room with king bed and the other two with doubles, but no biggie, my boyfriend shared the king bed with his kids and I had the other room with my kids.
My only complaint about my room was I had ants 3 different times and some other hard to see bugs on the tables, but used my insect repellent and got rid of them myself but my room stunk. I;m use to the tropical smell of being musty, but this was a sewer smell in room 31730, so I used lots of febreeze. I knew if I complained, I might have been moved to a different villa away from the rest of my family, so didn't say anything. Plus resort was over booked at the time too. But I did have to get someone up to plunge the toilet, maybe that's why such the smell, but who knows, boyfriends room next door was fine. You also have to pay $5day for safety deposit lock for your room, be nice if it was included in the price already, I just bought a good lock for my suitcase, and used that instead with no problems.
As for the beds. yes firm, but I requested a matress pad before hand and I had the best sleep all week, rooms were very clean, fridge was always stocked with pop, beer, water, chips and bars sometimes.
Our villa was very quiet and safe, and very close to both pool and not far to walk to lobby, buffet or theatre .

Grounds
the resort is huge with lots of trams going around, and if none, the carts guys were great to take you too. The grounds are absolutely beautiful, well kept and very clean. They're are lots of iguanas on the whole premises and coatis and saw a few agouti, and tropical birds, some people saw spider monkeys, but we didn't :(

Staff
I haven't met one person that wasn't' friendly, they were all great, very helpful. The animation team we're great also, some stood out a little more, but very interactive with the kids.

pools and beach
the pools were very big and nice, lots of entertainment, only complaint was not enough chairs around the pool. The kids water park is great, very nice!
The beach was very nice, sandy, but some rocks in the water, glad we brought water shoes, I'm use to the beaches in Dominican which are awesome, but Mexico has lots of fish, great for snokeling right on the beach which we loved, also glad we took our own mask and snorkel, but watch out for the coral, I cut my leg the last day, but was my own fault lol, and took almost 3 weeks to heal,

The food was great, no matter where we ate. I don't know how anyone could complain. Buffets were always great, mostly ate at Coba or Akumal.
We also ate at Oasis, Steaks were great, Gran Tortuga, was also great, wow, the meat you can get lol, and also ate at the Mexican, which was ok, we had beef fajitas, all these a la cartes also had a little buffet, which were great and they have kid friendly menus, but the same menu in every restaurant.
We wanted to go to the japanese showtable , but unfortunately, it was booked for the whole week, a little disappointing.

Drinks
What can I say, they were all great lol, My favorite being the frozen mudslide and Hummingbird and the Mexican Guinness shooter, but tried lots of others that were yummy as well, found them to be good everywhere. It was just the disco that I couldn't get all my drinks I liked.

nightlife
we went to a few theatre shows which were pretty good, byt they are over around 10, usually something outside near the lobby, but I found it got really quiet after that, most bars are closed at 11, except for the disco at the Hacienda.
It got pretty crowded in there pretty fast, mostly a younger crowd, but some days it was a mixture, the first two times it was good, but the rest, it was super loud with distorted music.

excursions
we took the collective to playa del Carmen, $21 both ways for 7 of us. got one just up on the highway near the Hacienda, we felt very safe. Lots of shopping and food place In playa del Carmen, lots to see, we didn't even get to see half of it lol, As 3 of our girls got their hair braided, it was a great price, but we later found out why, only stayed in for a max of 3 days, not done very well.
We also done the adventuras mayas tour "snorkel xtreme" this was a great tour, $126 for adults and $89 for kids 11 and under, it was worth the money. We loved it, got picked up at 7:45am and back close to 4pm. It included a great meal, zipline, swim in cavern, rappel and swim with the turles, and also saw stingrays, lots of fish and a barracuda.

Hacienda
Great place to do all you souvenir shopping, great prices, entertainment in evening before disco.

overall
I'd definitely recommend this place to anyone, beautiful resort, great people and awesome service. I usually like trying new places, but I would return to this resort in a heartbeat, don't let the distance from the airport turn you off, you won't be disappointed.

Any questions, don't hesistate to ask :)

Room Tip: I recommend second or third floor, but they have no elevators and get close to activity pool as its...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Cathy and Lorne,

We would like to thank you for choosing Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts for your first visit to Mexico. We really appreciate that you took the time to share some valuable comments about your stay with us.

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed our facilities and your time here was great. Your satisfaction makes us feel our effort is worth it.

We would like to welcome you back.

Sending you our kindest regards,
Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

This resort was well maintained. We stayed for 10 days, which was a little much for us, 7 days would have been sufficient. By the 7th day we were sick of the buffets. The buffets at all three resorts are almost identical. The pool can be difficult to find a chair at and while there are signs asking people not to reserve chairs by the pool, this rule is not enforced which is frustrating because there will be many seats not being used, and yet not available. The drinks were strong at certain bars. The beach is one of the best I have been to at a resort. For a 10 day stay we received 4 a la carte dinners, for a 7 day stay 3 dinners are received. The snack bar is open 24 hours a day which is nice. We could not find a pool that was strictly for adults but found that many of the pools with a pool bar were well suited for adults. The beds are hard as a rock, we were at the resort for a wedding and after speaking with others from our group, we found this was a common problem. I would recommend friends and family stay here, that being said, I would not visit again, simply because I like variety.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Tara,

Thank you very much for your comments and for choosing Grand Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts. We really appreciate that you have taken time to share them.

It is very rewarding that enjoyed the facilities at the 3 hotels of the resort. Knowing you felt comfortable, makes us keep working hard.

Your suggestions are more than welcome. We will review them to take actions where is necessary.

We would like to welcome you back at any hotel of our chain.

Summerside, Prince Edward Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

My wife and I went from April 24-May 1 2014. It was paradise in a week! Excellent food,phenomenal staff, clean rooms and bathroom was excellent!The resort is shared with two others;Akumal and Tubal and over 22 bars;4 different buffets to chose from and 10 a la carte restaurants.Gourmet,Mediterranean and Japanese. Great shopping on site also as my wife looked high and low last year to buy my daughter a bag in Pueto Cana and no luck.She found one on the first day on site!!
Food in buffet was out of this world;clean and fell in love with melon water! For one meal I had 5 different pieces of salmon.........amazing and me being healthy, they had a separate section which was great.
People out of this world as staff; lots of nite life and beach bar was fantastic! Only drawback was that the beach was a coral beach which was a wee bit rough on feet.What we would do next year would be to go to Punta Cana at the same Grand Bahia Principe resort however I would rant this resort;(food,service.staff, bedroom etc) way better than the place we stayed last year,the Occidental.
To verify, you can email me at dirkpitt1234321@gmail.com. I live on east coast of Canada,PEI to be exact and this place was heaven!!!!

Room Tip: Take a third floor room as quieter
Dear Tripadvisor user,

Thank you very much for your appreciation. We are happy to read the reviews about Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts. It is a delight that you enjoyed the facilities and you felt at home.

Your kind comments are the best reward we can receive since our guests’ satisfaction is the most important.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back at any hotel of our chain.

Cordially,
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!