“Terrible Experience Then and Now!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Coba to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Aventuras Akumal, Crtra. Xetumal - Cancun, Km 249, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 20 hotels in Akumal
Buffalo, New York
“Terrible Experience Then and Now!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

In April 2013, my husband and my two kids went to the Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya Resort in Mexico. We had a terrible experience. First, our room was a disaster when we checked in. It was on the 1st floor and looked like someone had a party in it the night before! The lights did not work, the ceiling fan was broken and so was the air conditioner! The outlets were literally hanging out of the wall so we had no plugs to watch tv, etc...There was puddles of water on the floor and the toilet seat was hanging off!! After a long day of flying there from Buffalo, NY we had to wait for maintenance to arrive to fix everything because they said the hotel was over booked and there was not an available room for us to move into. To make a long story short we spent everyday at customer service (who were very nice) trying to get moved to a different room. Finally, 4 days into our 6 day so-called vacation we had to pack up everything and move ourselves to a room on the 3rd floor. Unfortunately, that night it rained and our ceiling leaked and water was pouring into our room. We ended up complaining to the manager and she gave us a voucher to come back in 2014. WELL, the only time this voucher is good according to the contact I have been emailing is before Christmas!! We cannot go then, I cannot take my kids out of school at that time because of exams. I have explained this to them and they really don't care. Obviously, this voucher is not worth the paper it is printed on. The Bahia Principe does not care about the customer nor are they professional in responding to my emails! I would like to use this voucher in February (since it expires April 5th 2014) when my kids are off from school for mid-winter break (February 15-22). I am even willing to take them out of school 3 days and leave the U.S. on February 12th but they said there are no rooms available and that these are blackout dates!! I believe that this company owes us the vacation that we never did get last April. We spent our time in the lobby trying to resolve all our problems. I feel that we should be compensated for what we had to go through and the thousand of dollars we spent for a terrible experience!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Gina,

First of all we would like to thank you for the time you took to share your opinion. We are happy to know that you and your family spent your holidays with us.

We are extremely sorry to hear that our facilities did not meet with your full approval. However, the areas of opportunity which were described have been reviewed by our management team so that they take stronger measures to improve where is necessary.

Regarding the voucher subject, please verify the resolution with the quality department which you are already in contact with.

Looking forward to seeing you soon and sending you my kindest regards,

7,451 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,433)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We just completed our first trip to Mexico and overall it was a fantastic experiance. The culture, the food, and the scenery is about the best in the world. During this trip, upon the recommendations of firends', we decided to stay at the Grand Bahia Principe Coba (GBPC). We weren't disappointed, however there is always room for improvement

Upon arriving, we were checked in quickly and efficiently, and even given our first margarita. The only issues were the fact that the in-room safe was an additional charge whereas (in my opinion) should always be standard in any resorts. The other thing was we were placed near the "active" (and sometimes loud) pool. We shared a wall with a family with a small child who cried quite often. GBPC tried to cater to both the couples and the families, and while this certainly increases the revenue, the management at GBPC should try to keep seperate couples and families as the needs are quite different. Spending a holiday listening to small children crying isn't conducive to a couples getaway. We didn't bring this up to the manager, so GBPC wasn't aware of this issue, but it should be best practice to seperate the two. As much as I enjoyed GBPC, this may be the issue that does make me think of another resort.
The rooms are beautiful, but like other reviews say, they do smell musty (because of the enviroment), and the beds are hard (but still surprisingly comfortable).
The amenities in the room are nice, especially the jacuzzi-type bathtub. The minibar service was only adequate (despite daily tips), but at the same time, who spends that much time in the room?
The grounds are absolutely gorgeous, and immaculately maintained. The scenery is enhanced by the abundance of the livestock that call GBPC home. Iguanas and Coatis are abundant and very friendly, and add to the overall experiance. The pools are clean, and excellent if you have children as there was plenty of activities for them.
The food was decent, with the buffet actually a little better than the ala cartes or the snack bar. The buffet is basically set up much like the buffets in Las Vegas. There is plenty to eat, but that being said, the first couple of days our plates were filled to capacity, multiple times. Near the end of our vacation, you could see our plates only containing a few items. The buffet is good, but tiring after a while.
We had tried the Japanese ala carte (Mikado Restaurant) as well as the Mediterranean ala carte (Mediterráneo Restaurant). We had high expectations with all the reviews we read about Mikado, but as someone who has done this style of restaurant in the past (multiple times) the expectations were simply not met. It wasn't bad, but it didn't blow my mind like it had some reviewers in the past.
The Mediterráneo Restaurant was simply not good period. The service was decent, but the food wasn't very Mediterranean at all. It was an oppourtunity missed. I had the pleasure of eating at both Greek and Turkish restaurants and I think the Coba could do well in retooling their Mediterranean fare on the menu. BTW...Mediterranean appetizers aren't conducive to a visit to the salad bar...thats just plain lazy.
We had a third reservation at the Brazillian Restauran (La Gran Tortuga), but because of both my wife getting ill, as well as our past two ala carte experiances, we decided to give it a pass.
The beach at the Coba was absolutely gorgeous. The water was clear and packed with many colourful fish, and reefs that ensconce the entire Mexican Riveria experiance. We were able to find a couple of deck chairs under a thatched shade and sipped mojitos while enjoying the heat and the azure blue Carribean Sea.
We also tried the beach at GBPT (Tulum) but it wasn't as nice. It had a little smell to it, and not as calm as Coba was, so the wildlife stayed away. But if you like bodysurfing (which I do) it was a little adventurous between the wave breakers.
Getting around was easy (except for later at night when almost EVERY cart was only going to GBPT and not Coba). The carts are a neccessity to really enjoy the resort(s) and made it possible to visit the other buffets and bars, as well as the Hacienda.
The Hacienda Doña Isabel was awesome. The stores were very comparable to the stores in both small villages in the surrounding areas, as well as the 5th Avenue market in Playa Del Carmen. We went almost every night, but our favorite night was the night they had the Mexican Fiesta night. Mariachi Bands, singing and dancing, a small buffet of some of the most tastiest of dishes, as well as games, and a mechanical bull (which was epic). Definately one of the highlights to our vacation.
The lobby bar was our favorite bar as it was the only place to get wi-fi (without paying-but more on that later) so we could post our pics on Facebook to our insanely jealous friends. Every night they prepared Mexican Coffees which was the perfect cap to a perfect evening, and being with my beautiful wife in one of the most beautiful areas of the world was indeed perfect.

Now for those reading this who haven't been to Mexico before, and for those that work for GBP that would like a few tips and tricks to improve the resort, please read a little more.

1) Make sure you bring at least $150 US in small bills in order to reward the great service. The staff work very hard to ensure everyone has a great experiance. The little acknowledgements go far...trust me.
2) Make sure you bring as much cash as you feel comfortable bringing BEFORE you reach the resort. The ATM in the lobby is criminal in the charges it wants from you to use it. If you were to add it up, it was almost 25 bucks on every hundred in additional charges. There was an ATM at the Hacienda Doña Isabel that was fair, but only gave out pesos. But try and go with US dollars as they are almost MORE readily accepted than the Peso.
3)This is more of a tip for the hotel. In these days of word of mouth advertising, especially ONLINE word of mouth (Facebook, Twitter, TripAdvisor...etc) you would think you would want to give your guests plenty of oppourtunity to grow your business FOR YOU. You already have wifi in each villa, but make them free to use. People can boast about your establishment in real time, to all their insanely jealous friends. Don't rely on your guests to get home, and for several weeks later, hope they write something positive about their stay...if they remember. Be proactive. It would be a small loss in revenue that you may even get back in spades from future business. Look into it.
4)If you are travelling as a couple, try to see if you are in an area of the resort that doesn't have a hundred children just meters away. Try to see if your reservation can place you with like minded couples. Children are awesome (I have three grown children) but when you are on vacation, being woken up early by children laughing/crying can get old...very fast.
5)See my amigo, Jaime at Best Day for all your excursions. (seperate review pending). Not only does he get you the best prices, but can also help first timers with any situation that they might find themselves in. he was absolutely priceless in his knowledge and helpfulness.
I hope you find what you need to know about the Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Room Tip: If you have kids....stay near the activity pool. If you are a couple who want a little quieter local...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor user,

Thank very much for taking time to share your point of view. We are very happy that you had enjoyed your stay with us.

It is very rewarding that your vacations at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts now are beautiful memories.

All suggestions are more than welcome. We have already reviewed them with our managers so that our service grows better every day.

We would like to welcome you back. We will do of your holidays another amazing experience.

Regards,
Quispamsis, New Brunswick, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Our stay was 19th to 26thOct 2013. Worse hotel I have stayed at. First of all it took over 1hr 40min in line to register,then was told that we need to pay $5 a day for the in room safe,never had to pay for a safe before. Then tried to book a la carte nothing available until 10.30 at night. Who wants to eat at that time with young children? The first 4 days we went for breakfast at 8.30am to find that while only 50% of the tables were occupied the rest of the tables had not been cleaned! waited 10mins for the table to be cleaned then another 10mins before we got coffee. No one to replenish the food many of the trays were empty. Not enough staff working, no fresh fruit ,bananas,apples,grapefruit, oranges etc. We had no creamer in the room the second day,so we walked 5mins from our room to the lobby asked for creamer at the front desk and was told someone will bring it to your room, back home in Toronto and still waiting for the creamer to arrive. Rained for a couple of days,the roof in the lobby and buffet area leaked. Stay away from this piece of crap hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor user,

First of all we would like to thank you for sharing your comments. Your opinion is very important because it will help us to improve the quality of our service.

We are truly sorry that we did not meet your highest expectations in some of our facilities. However, the areas of opportunity which were described have been reviewed by our management team so that they take stronger measures to improve where is necessary.

Looking forward to seeing you and sending you my kindest regards,

Hamilton.Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I reviewed this resort last January 12th and must admit that I misspoke, I titled it : 19th All Inclusive first review, in fact it was my 20th so here is my latest review of the GPBC - my 21st A.I. !
I have been to this resort 3 times and have also been to the Bahia in Punta Cana and stayed this trip from Sept. 4th - 18th, we went for our 35th wedding anniversary but will not travel in September again for 2 reasons - the weather (unusually rainy this year I heard - but when you go to Sunny Mexico 11 days of rain is not fun)! and reason 2 since it is the low season all the restaurants are not open. It was disappointing at first since we asked for a room by the quiet pool to find that the snack bar there was closed - also the premier buffet was closed , having said that there were still many options but as my husband has back problems this was discouraging. Our last weekend both of those restaurants were open for Mexican Independence day as there were a couple of hundred extra guests and yet neither was busy so you can't blame the resort they are running a business after all.
The grounds, entertainment and food were exceptional as usual as was the service except for one individual - it was another rainy day but we ventured out to the activity pool as the rain hadn't started yet, making the best of things we went to the swim up bar only to be told by Jesus that it was closed (DUH) and my husband would have to climb out to the upper level to get served - He had no guests to serve just us and couldn't come down 5 stairs to get us a drink ?? This is the one time we did not tip - he is not an asset to an otherwise outstanding resort.
On to the people who went above and beyond - Andreina who has stepped into the Guest Service manager position brilliantly , wow, you and your team made our vacation unforgettable - from booking all of our a la carte dinners to giving us a great room location to decorating our room with tons of heart shaped balloons, champagne , a fruit basket,a flower arrangement and t-shirts upon our arrival and again on our anniversary with rose petals everywhere including in a bubble bath, more champagne, beautiful towel art , another gorgeous floral arrangement (don't know who does these but they are very talented) and chocolate covered strawberries - simply AMAZING, we can't thank you enough Andreina !!!!!
Magdalena at the premier lobby was so sweet and efficient when we would go there after dinner to listen to music. Manuel the manager at the Meditereaneo was great as was Bartolo who I remembered from the last trip and he made our dinner at the Cozumel special. Andre and others at Kukulcan buffet excelled .Also Jaime at the Hybiscus pool bar who went out of his way to get us water bottles and was very good at his job. We enjoyed Le Gourmet and the Arlequin a la cartes as well as others but our favourite again was the Don Pablo at the Tulum from the lovely hostess, always happy to see you and greet you with a big genuine smile to very hands on manager (Marco, I think) just amazing ambience, service and food above all, I recommend the surf and turf and the apple torte once again although everything we tried was awesome and we ate there 3 times this visit including our anniversary dinner where we were served a special appetizer and a heart shaped chocolate cake flambé for dessert as well as champagne - this restaurant is exceptional , I can't imagine what a meal like this would cost in Toronto !!
One other change during our stay - you are limited as to what drinks you can order at the buffets - only beer, wine , champagne and vodka we were told, no coffee with baileys or other mixed drinks - one of the outstanding features of this resort is the premium brands of drinks available - I sincerely hope that this doesn't change as well.
We also really enjoyed the Golden Lobby (which was closed on our last visit) it was a minute from our room and had awesome wifi reception ( much improved from last time)! and was a intimate place to hang out with great service by Julian and others who brought you nuts and whatever drink you would like. One night he made us shooters that looked like the Mexican flag - wonderful !! Thanks to Victor who is such a pro with your luggage and is on top of things always and is always so pleasant !! Also the trolley drivers who made our trip and went out of their way for us on more than one occasion - you are appreciated :)

We saw very few people tipping which is appalling to me - don't use the small print that states all gratuities included as an excuse to be cheap - you are getting sooo much for your vacation dollar here at the Grand Bahia Principe Coba -the staff are great , warm , hard working people who don't make a lot of money -tip for good service please !!
Don't give it a second thought - you will love love love this resort - any questions just ask.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Krystal,

We would like to thank you for taking time to share your opinion about your holidays at Bahia Principe Hotels.

It is a pleasure to read that your vacations were full of joy and fun, since this our best reward. All our staff is very thankful regarding your greetings and nice comments about their effort, Specially the ones you mentioned.

We would like to welcome you back in a near future. We will be happy to pamper you again.

Warmest regards,
W'BURG CANADA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This resort is very large and the grounds are beautifully kept up. The food is good,but could be better,it could always be better but never had a problem with any meal I ate.The staff is very good through out the resort.The pools are clean the drinks were good everywhere I went. If you don't like it, just get an other one.
The a-la-carte restaurants were all good as well.the trams are everywhere to take you to any of the other Bahia Resorts,or to the beach or to the front or a resturant,go visit them all .The rooms were very good in the golden area,and the bars in the golden area are very good too. Goinging to the beach is just 10 min. ride. Some of the staff in the buffet were just awesome, Niria was one of the best ever and Jose was very good.At the egg station in the morning Guadalupe was so nice to every one.The bartenders at the golden club bar were so nice during the day you will see Julian he is Awesome. At the front desk, the manager is very special, thank you to Andreina Lobo she is there if you need anything. This resort is well worth the money.Don't listen to the bad reviews they are not true.Some people are never happy with anything.We have been to the Grand Bahia Resorts 9 times and have been happy every time,no matter what country we go to. We will be back again soon in the coming year. We have met some nice people there as well. JUST GO!!!

Room Tip: go for royal golden room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tripadvisor user,

We are really thankful for this nice review about your holidays at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts. We feel very rewarded.

We are very pleased that you had a beautiful time and that every stay your expectations are exceeded. All your greetings are more than welcome. Our staff will be happy to receive them.

We will be truly delighted to welcome you back at any hotel of our chain.

Kind Regards,
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

This was the first time my husband, and I had been to an bahia principe . It by far exceeded our expectations. I could not say enough about how great the staff is animation, the gym very nice service , shows very good dancers, mexican party . All the staff was very friendly, professional, and helpful. jorge was our butler most of the time, and he was wonderful. Anything that we needed or wanted he took care of it on the spot. fanny was also very helpful, and always had a smile on her face.

The resort and beach were beautiful. The food was great. There was always a buffet open with wonderful food. The surf and turf, and the Japanese restaurants were our favorites.
We did a few excursions. Gloria at Apple travel desk was very helpful, when we were trying to decide which ones we wanted to do.

We were so spoiled by this trip we didn't want to leave. I would highly recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Joy,

We feel very proud because you were pleased by the service we provide and the staff effort. We are grateful that you chose Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

We are happy to know that you had the opportunity to enjoy the facilities we have for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,
Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in The Riviera Maya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We travelled to mexico with virgin holidays. May I say that the vroom at gatwick and the flight with virgin were fantastic. Plenty of free drink and food. The 10 hour flight flew by with the fantastic entertainment on board but sadly that's where it ends.
On arrival we were greeted at the premier lobby and was given a bright red wrist band as we were one of the few suckers that upgraded to a club room. For an extra £200 we got a bathrobe that was too small, a room service menu that is limited to burger, hotdogs and chicken nuggets, free use of the internet at the lobby in which 95% of websites are restricted and advertised daily pool towels in your room in which the hotel told me was utter rubbish and that you only get pool towels at the start of your stay !! The premier lobby restaurant was closed and our villa was situated near coba lobby because the golden club villas were closed due to low season so why the hell did I pay for the club room upgrade???
After our 20 hour travel we finally got to our rooms to find that there were only 2 single beds and the room stunk of damp. It then took 3 hours to make up a small sofa bed for my son in which they had cheek to charge him am adult price. The room service number is a waste of time because they just lie when they tell you that what u have ordered is coming.
The staff on the front desks are rude.
The Hotel is full of the firstchoice/thomson brigade who thinks its acceptable to wear a Lonsdale vest and some reebok shorts that they have just purchased from sports direct for dinner ! Why to my fellow English men think that football shirts are acceptable attire for an evening meal .
I also have concerns of the fact that large group of young Americans are allowed to drink and party at 11pm at night in the pools in the darkness! With the toilets closed it makes me wonder where they go when they need the toilet?
The food was ok on the first day but then you realise it's the same food every lunch and dinner every day.
The drinks are watered down and everything taste so sweet and sickly.
I recently stopped at the sian kaan section of the complex and was fantastic with very little price difference, only this time I brought my son and sian kaan is adults only.
The waiters and bar staff are brilliant here though and they are the sole reason that kept us smiling. Please tip them well because they deserve it.
Would I come here again?.... Never, not even if it was free!!
Thankyou Virgin holidays for printing that utter rubbish in your brochure in which help me decide on this hotel and in the process, helping me waste £4000!!!!!

Stayed October 2013
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor user,

First of all we would like to thank you for sharing your comments since the opinion of our guests is a helpful tool to improve even more. It is rewarding that you appreciate the hard work of our staff.

Our main goal is to please our guest with our high quality service. Therefore, we are sorry that your expectations were not fulfilled. Your suggestions have been reviewed to take actions where is necessary.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back.

The warmests regards,
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!