“Great resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Coba to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Aventuras Akumal, Crtra. Xetumal - Cancun, Km 249, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 20 hotels in Akumal
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Was impressed with this resort so much to choose from on the food menu's the al a carte was good the only one I went to that was disappointing was the Mexican, considering we were in mexico that was bad. The only thing I disliked about this holiday was as we were all inclusive the option to leave the resort was not cost effective as we would have had to eat out and as is was paid in advance this would have been silly, and as we are both in our late 50's early 60's this was generally geared up to the younger set I will stick to what I know and continue to holiday in Florida.

Room Tip: Be prepared with good sturdy walking shoes and sun hat
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear June N,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience of your visit during last June, we are very happy to read that we fulfill your culinary expectations, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back here in the Grand Bahia Principe Coba at the Riviera Maya.

Sending our kindest regards,

7,354 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,407)
  • Polish first
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Just returned from 7 nights at the Coba...not much more I can review here and sing its praises on that I haven't already read about in MANY other reviews for this resort. If you aren't into taking gambles with your resort experience and you want to book a resort that you can be confident in being happy with - this is the resort. What stood out for me the most? Cleanliness, the great food, the VERY happy staff (there was an exception as I experienced ONE waiter in one of the buffets that had a huge attitude, but really, considering the number of employees there, WHO CARES...not everyone can love their job LOL) oh and one last thing that stood out for me - the wildlife!!! As a person that very much misses their dogs when away, the coati's - although furry and very sweet looking, probably not one you'd cuddle up with lol, provided me that much needed animal fix while I was gone. It was rare to walk 5 minutes without seeing a little guy scavenging through the garbage bins - poor guys - the staff keep the resort so clean it's very slim pickings for them LOL. Anyway, even though there are signs saying not to feed them - I couldn't resist sharing my late night pizza with one particularly sweet little coati. It may seem small, but being an animal lover and getting to interact with an animal that I have never seen or heard of before this trip - was amazing. They are like a mix of a raccoon, ant eater, dog, lemur.....yah...weird but cute mix. Also, the iguanas - LOVED these crazy guys. Again, I shared my banana with one that seemed to be on post right near our villa - Juana the Iguana we called him. Always responded to my voice...seemed to be frightened by my husband! Rest assured - if Iguanas and Coati's are not your thing - they don't mess with you - you really have to try hard to get their attention!!!
Enough about the animals - I say ditto to all the other reviews! Food was great, pools were wonderful and clean, staff was amazing (we wrote ahead of time to get reservations at the a la cartes and mentioned this was an anniversary trip - we had a special surprise dessert and tequila popper waiting for us at every booked meal - AMAZING) Needless to say - I was VERY impressed with this. Lots to do, lots to drink, great time away!
One last note - the sports bar at the Hacienda - its not all inclusive, but the guy that runs the place, sad I didn't get his name, but he was WONDERFUL! We were there for game 6 and 7 of the Leafs/Bruins series. The first night there was probably 50 people there - he seemed overwhelmed but so happy with the business - Coronas cost $3 - didn't mind paying at all for the chance to see the game in Mexico!! Anyway....the next night he realllly had his stuff together - my husband and I were one of the first people to arrive for game 7 and he really went all out - he made a foil Stanley cup with the Leafs symbol on it, Leafs poncho hanging out front, and he made two huge signs boosting the Leafs which he hung on the front porch of his bar. AMAZING. I have to say - Mexico was the BEST place to be for playoff hockey!!! And what a Toronto crowd!!!! There must have been about 100 of us at game 7!!!! I can't imagine we were any less loud and animated then Yonge/Dundas square would have been! One word of caution - bring bug spray - I made out alright but hubby probably got about 100 bug bites between the two nights there! Even then....the bar was providing bug spray to us!
So that's my review. In a word? GO! You won't be disappointed at all!!! Oh..and take your kids!! First resort that I have ever been too that I would have felt completely confident bringing our 3 year old too....but that will have to be another time - this was our adult only trip! :) Enjoy your stay!!

Room Tip: They all seem to be good - units closer to the lobby may be loud though, if you as for a room near t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Christen,

We are very happy to know that you and your husband at an excellent holiday here in Grand Bahia Principe Coba, we are always grateful to receive the feedback of our guest particularly the ones with such positive opinions, comments like yours are an important source of motivation for all our team members, please be sure that we will share your nice words with all of them.

Looking forward to welcome you again for your second visit with your family for an other incredible holiday here in the Mexican Caribbean.

Kindest Regards,

llse Saldaña
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Where do I start?
One year ago, for my husband's birthday, I took him on a very expensive trip to Bahia Principe, Dominican Republic. We stayed at Ambar Resort and it was beyond our expectations with respect to service, luxury and professional staff. While we were there, we attended a session on Privilege membership, which we bought.
This year, for our first year Wedding anniversary, we stayed at the Bahia Principe, Coba Mexico resort for May 1 to May 8, 2013. Coordinating the trip was such a smooth, effortless transition thanks to Claudia Arredondo Castillo and Diane Garcia. As soon as we arrived at the resort in Coba, Mexico, we were greeted by the beautiful, smiling Diane. We were ushered into the Privilege lounge and were greeted like family by Ana (manager) and her professional, efficient, courteous and very accommodating staff. We had champagne and snacks and the staff went over the details to make our stay special and memorable. Special thanks to Ana, the manager. She is beautiful inside and outside, professional and very accommodating. She went out of her way to create a special and memorable experience for our anniversary. I want to extend my gratitude to the rest of the Privilege staff including " Miss Diva" Miluska, Eduardo, the suave one, always accessible and helpful, the beautiful Karla whom we fell in love with for her charm and bubbly personality, the very accommodating and professional Armando who had the golf cart so beautifully decorated with balloons to take us for dinner on our anniversary night. Armando, we will never forget you, THANK YOU sincerely. Martin, at the Privilege Beach bar, you are awesome, you made the best concoctions ever, I sooo miss my Mojitos and Margaritas. My husband thanks you for your Tequila recommendations.
We are seasoned travelers and always stay at 5 star hotels. We loved Coba for the natural beauty of the environment that was so effortlessly incorporated with the breathtaking architecture. The vibrant colors of oranges and Diego blue were astounding. The exceptional service, courtesy and efficiency by ALL staff members was second to none. We did not feel rushed or pressured to buy anything as we did at other resorts, we had time to enjoy and relax at our own pace.
Thank you guys for this amazing experience. This is coming from a very seasoned traveller and a spoilt New Yorker!!!
We can't wait to visit again and look forward to meeting Ana and the wonderful staff again.
Our heartfelt and sincerest thanks. Suzette and Carlos Bellorin

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
PrivilegeClub, Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Suzette B,

On behalf of the Bahia Principe Privilege Club, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review.

It is heartening to know Ana, Diana, Claudia, Miluska and rest of the Privilege Concierge Team in Mexico provided such exceptional service and helped you and your husband create these wonderful memories.

We hope in the future you can continue to enjoy the perks of being a Privilege Club member at any of the Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Kind regards,
Stephany Tavarez
Customer Service
Bahia Principe Privilege Club
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

This resort is actually 3 resorts in one! You have access to all of the amenities at all 3 resorts including pools, buffets, and all of the a la carte restaurants. Convenient shuttles all over the resort to get around easily! We had a great time exploring the sprawling resorts. The beach was very nice with great snorkelling right in front of the beach! Lots of fish and other sea life; I saw a barracuda!!! Friendly staff, great rooms, beautiful resort. We will definitely be back!!!

Room Tip: Our room was at the west end of the resort near the lobby and closest to the highway, but we didn...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Amy,

We are very grateful that you take part of your time to post your experience from your recent visit here to Grand Bahia Principe Riviera Maya, we are happy to read that you were pleased with our 3 hotels facilities the wildlife around, services and crew members. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you soon again here in your new home in the Mexican Paradise.

Receive our warmest regards,

Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Our family of four (My husband, myself and our 2 children - ages 4 and 1), stayed for our second time at GBP Coba from May 6-16, 2013. This is our second trip here as we stayed for a week in January 2013 as well. The value is exceptional. There are just SO MANY positives. I'm not sure where to begin. We have traveled extensively and have been to several all-inclusive resorts with our children. This resort is definitely the best that we have been for families.

Waterpark -this is a new addition as they were building this when we stayed here in January. Our son probably spent 25 plus hours here during our 10 day stint. Lots of slides and water showers to keep the kids happy and entertained. The water was warm and clean. There was always someone cleaning and scrubbing the sides of the pool.

Beach - We spent a lot of time at Akumal Beach rather than Coba Beach. We liked both beaches equally, but we found that Akumal beach was quieter and easier to find a lounger under the shaded palapas. We also found that there were less people smoking on the Akumal side compared to Coba Beach. Not to say that will be your experience. We loved the beach. The water is crystal clear. The sand is white and powdery and clean. There were always lots of fish swimming about so that you could watch without snorkeling. I enjoyed the water aerobics on the Coba Beach side and there was always music playing and something entertaining going on. Akumal was a bit more on the quiet side. Both beaches were awesome for the kids. My four year old enjoyed swimming without his lifejacket as it was very shallow and the water was calm. My one year old daughter liked crawling in and out and digging in the sand.
We never took the tram (trains) at all to the beach and we have two young children and LOTS of equipment (lifejackets, floaties, sunscreen, towels, diapers, etc.) to tow along. So - the distance from the rooms or lobby to the beach was not even an issue. It's a beautiful walk with some shade along the way. We actually enjoyed walking as much as we did. With all of the great food and yummy drinks that we were consuming, the walking offered us some exercise.

Rooms- We stayed in room 32732. It is a corner room with a view of both sides of the building from the balcony. We LOVED this location. After visiting in January, we actually requested to be in this general area as it was so quiet, yet close to the snack bar and lobby as well as close to the quiet pool. We checked in through the Premier as it was our second visit. We were so, so very impressed with the check in process. We didn't wait in line at all. The bellman had our bags to our room in a couple short minutes after arriving at our room. He took the time to tell us what amenities were close by and asked if we had questions. A bed was made up for our son as well when we arrived.
The room was clean, cool and well stocked with drinks and snacks in the mini-bar. Each day after our room was cleaned, we were greeted with a new towel animal - a snail, a peacock, an elephant, a swan, a person.... our children loved them.
I am shocked that people complain about the humid smell -- you are in Mexico!!! It is humid there!!! Really?!?!? I think the staff does an amazing job working so hard to keep the mustiness smell minimal.
Our bed was not hard at all, as many reviewers claim. We slept comfortably every night and only woke when our mini human alarm clocks woke us.

Food - The Coba buffet is probably the best if you have children. They really cater to the little ones by offering so many kid-friendly options, such as - peanut butter sandwiches, chicken nuggets, French fries, hot dogs, chicken burgers and a big selection of hard and soft ice cream. We ate most of our supper meals at the Coba buffet and always found something delicious and different to eat. We really enjoyed eating at the Akumal Buffet only because we could get a table for four by the huge open windows and we could feel the ocan breeze while eating. Whereas Coba buffet only had two seated tables near the windows. We ate most of our breakfast meals at the Premier buffet - which we didn't even know existed when we stayed at this resort in January during our first visit. We preferred breakfast here because it is a smaller buffet and a lot less busy. The service was exceptional at every place that we ate. We needed a high chair each time and we rarely waited for a clean highchair to be brought to us. We loved the cappuccinos and ordered them with breakfast each day. We ate most of our lunches at the snack bars. We liked Casita only because it was so much less busy than the Pisces and there were a lot fewer smokers. We also enjoyed eating at the Akumal snack bar on the beach. We took advantage of the 24 hour snack bar (Casita) and ordered pizza, French fries, ribs and chicken nuggets late at night. Everything was made fresh and quickly.
We ate at only one a la carte restaurant - Le Grand Tortuga. It was AMAZING! We would have loved to eat here more than once... but we only made one reservation on the night before we went home. Usually with the children, the buffet is easier as a la carte restaurants tend to take too long for the kids to sit. We did not wait at all at this restaurant. We were seated and were given our drinks and our appetizer immediately. We then started on the salad bar. After we were done with the salad bar, we were given a red and a green card. When the green card is laying out, it tells the server to bring you your meat. When you turn it to the red card, it tells the server that you have had enough and you are ready for dessert. The first meat was roast chicken, followed by bacon wrapped sirloin, turkey breast, beef ribs, Brazilian sausage, prime rib and roast beef. It was absolutely delicious! We ate constantly and enjoyed every bite.

Mini Club - The kids club was awesome for our 4 year old. He enjoyed going for an hour or so a day. He often wanted to stay longer as they were always doing fun activities. Jemica and Olivia loved the kids and greeted our son with hug and kisses each visit.

Other notes - We loved that this resort always had fresh fruit out to grab at every lobby. green and red apples, bananas, plums and oranges were always available. Our kids always had something healthy to munch on.
The fitness centre is clean and cool and there is a lot of variety for cardio and strength.
We liked that the bar in the Coba lobby had speciality coffees each morning.
The staff at this resort were incredibly friendly, helpful and genuinely wanted to make you happy. We were really happy with everyone that we came in contact with.
We noticed that there was always someone cleaning something. The grounds are immaculately kept and the staff work so hard. There were always people caring for the grounds, washing windows, tables, trash cans, signs, floors, etc. Just to explain how clean this resort actually was -- my little girl crawled constantly around the lobby and her knees were never dirty.
Yes, this is a large resort, but once you get to know it, you will find what you like and you can easily figure it out and get from one place to another without even having to take the trams. We only took the trams when we wanted to go to Tulum - which was a bit far.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear "CalgaryBunny",

We would like to express how much we appreciate that you had choose in your 2 previous visit to the Riviera Maya our resort for your family holidays. For the Grand Bahia Principe Family, the main objective is to make the holidays of our little guest and their parents incredible.

It is a delight to read that you and your family were pleased with the waterpark, the activities, the miniclub, the facilities but particularly the hospitality of our team, Jimena and Olivia will be very happy to know that you remember them.

We are looking forward for your 3Th visit to your Mexican friends here in the Mexican Caribbean,

Best Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Could not fault the staff at the hotel GBP Coba, always friendly, knowledgeable and genuinely happy to help you out. The hotel and grounds are kept to an exceptionally high standard and everyone working there seemed to want to maintain that, working non stop. There was a great selection of restaurants to choose from over the three complexes, our favourites being the Tequila Mexican restaurant, Tortuga Brazilian restaurant and Don Pablo's gourmet. The entertainment team were great and had activities and shows to suit all and it was good to have separate pools so that the adults could relax and have some peace and quiet whilst the kids pool had some fantastic slides and equipment (monitored) for them to enjoy. Great travel service in and amongst the hotel and complexes, lovely beach, again kept immaculately clean. Went on a Coba Mayan excursion to the Mayan ruins and also into the jungle to meet local Mayans, eat with them, dis sone canoeing, zip lining and rappelled 60ft into a cenote (underground natural water hole - like a sink hole) absolutely amazing, would do it again tomorrow.Would definitely recommend the Riviera Maya to others looking to visit Mexico and wanting to stay outside of the busy more developed Cancun areas.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear K-ROW84,

We appreciate that you take part of your time share with us and the online community your experience here in the Grand Bahia Principe Coba, it is a delight to know that you enjoyed the surroundings, facilities, activities and services. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back here in your new Mexican Home.

Best Regards,

Liverpool, England.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

This place is amazing... Wonderful choice of restaurants in the resort and great bars to enjoy...
My view on the place is a little paradise village all in one and fantastic value for money. Cant go wrong and great holiday all round.

Room Tip: Try get a room by the pool / reception as this place is massive... !!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
RRPPCOBA, Ejecutiva de Relaciones Publicas at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear TheHumanTorch34,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to answer to our survey.

We are grateful for your beautiful comments. Our main aim is to provide the best vacation to all our guests, and we are very happy to see that we did it with you.

We are already looking forward to welcome you here, in Gran Bahia Principe Coba.

Kind Regards,

Ilse Saldaña,
Public Relations

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!