“2nd time and can't wait to go back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Coba

You added Grand Bahia Principe Coba to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - Cancun Km 250. Mexico, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Sudbury, Canada
“2nd time and can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Love everything about this resort. The only thing that bothered me during my stay was the amount of wasted food customers left behind on their plates. Do people not realize that you can go up and get more if you are still hungry. Why pile your plates knowing you can't finish it. I walked by a table with a huge plate of bacon on it and so much wasted half eaten food surrounding it. Do people not realize that this will eventually add to the cost of the all inclusive trip. What a great place to stay at reasonable price, I would love for this place to stay that way.
The Brazilian food was the best experience and Josue was one of the best servers. We enjoyed the pool parties, and the night life. We were a little disappointed that the Segway tours were not available at this time and I really hope the resort brings it back. We are already planning our next trip back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Chrisinared,

I would like to thank you for sharing your nice review and pictures with us and future travelers, it is a delight to read that you enjoyed your time in our Resort, will be a pleasure to extend your kind words to Josue at La Gran Tortuga Restaurant, who surely will be very pleased that you enjoyed his services.

It would be a pleasure for us that you return to visit us a 3Th time here at the Riviera Maya,

Yours truly,

Public Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,625)
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

For our 20th Anniversary in 2008, we spent a week at the Bahia Principe Coba. We had upgraded so we had a bit better service, etc. Although the resort is large, there are always golf cars to take you to wherever you wanted to go on the resort. We stayed at Coba but had the availability of Akumel and Tulum as well.

Because there were 3 resorts, the restaurants we wonderful. There were so many you didn't get bored of one type of food. The staff were fantastic as well.

We ate in the Italian restaurant for our anniversary. When the staff learned of it, they provided us with sparkling wine and a special dessert. It was very nice.

We spent most of our time in the "quieter" pool. We got there early and had the same chairs the whole week. We were right beside the swim up bar and in a part of the pool that had shade for my husband. Being the end of July, it was extremely hot. But being beside the pool meant you could jump in and cool off.

The suite we were in was always clean. It was comfortable. The staff were great as well.

We would go back to this resort

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Markushnir,

It is a pleasure to read that you and your couple enjoyed your first time here in the Riviera Maya. It is a great honor that you choose our resort to celebrate such and important event as your 20Th Wedding Anniversary, we were more that happy to make your holidays unforgettable, we hope we can repeat this wonderful experience in the near future.

Kind Regards from the Mexican Caribbean

Langley City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent a week at the Coba in early February. We had never been but it came highly recommended by our travel agent and we were not disappointed.

This was our first trip to the Cancun/Mayan Riviera and my only complaint was the amount of time we were in transit to get there. Not the fault of the hotel but it was 12 hours from the time we got to YVR and got to our room at the hotel. We only booked for one week and would always book for two because of the travel.

We signed up for the Royal Golden which have us access to all 4 hotels on the property, private check-in and check-out, bottle of tequila, access to all the specialty restaurants at all the hotels and other amenities including our own private bar and wi-fi access.

The room was very spacious, clean and nicely decorated with Mexican colours and style. Room had a balcony and we were right on the edge of th forest. The bed was big and comfortable and the washroom very clean and very big, one of best I have seen. The rooms were quiet and in the morning, the birds from the forest would wake you up with their songs, so cool!

The resort was simply amazing and the best we have ever been to. It was an unforgettable experience for us both and we are seniors. So much available to do on and off resort. We stayed at the resort and will leave the off-resort activities for the next time. The resort and buildings are stunning as are the pools and the grounds are massive and manicured to perfection. And you will see some of the animals that come on to the resort from the jungle. No, nothing dangerous just coatimundis and capibarras (excuse the spelling) along with iguanas and lots of birds. But no bugs or mosquitos!

But be prepared for the time share folks who wait for you just outside the buffet. Avoid them at all cost as they will suck up a half a day of your vacation. And the deal on the time share is they pitch to take 1.5 hours of your time for a freeby (gift certificate, spa, etc.) but it turns into half a day and the cost for the time share is $15,000. Don't waste any of your vacation time with this people.

Getting around is easy and we walked most times but you are a 15 minute walk from the beach and we were 10 minutes from the Coba Lobby and buffet area. But there are golf cart type transport available any time.

The food at the buffet was good but the choice of meat was limited to beef and chicken (and some seafood). The RIU Emerald Bay buffet was far superior in every way.

Lots of space at the pools, excellent bars and no shortage of lounges at the pools or at the beach. We walked to the Akumal beach and it was great. It is not as good as beaches in Varadero Cuba but it worked for us.

A very comfortable and enjoyable vacation and we will return but for two weeks next time.

Room Tip: Sign up for the Royal Golden, well worth the extra
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Douglas014,

First of all we really appreciate that you decide to visit the Grand Bahia Principe Coba for your very first trip to the Mexican Caribbean, we are delighted that you enjoyed your visit at our facility and our Golden Package.

Your feedback helps us to maintain the quality of our services, will send to the appropriate departments your kind words and discuss with the food & beverage manager your observations on the food to strengthen this area particularly for our improvements program.

We are honor that you have selected our hotel as your next holiday destination and will be looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Sending you my kindest regards,

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I went to GBP Coba over March Break (Feb. 28-2013-March11-2013) with my four children and my sister and her family. We were originally supposed to go home March 7th but we were having such a good time we extended four extra days. We were a large group so booking the restaurants was a challenge but Luis Perez was extremely helpfull as well as his colleagues Jesus Nicoli and Jennifer Ortega. When our group grew to 15 they were still able to accomadate us so we could enjoy the restaurants all together. Their friendliness and fantastic customer service really made everything more enjoyable. My kids must have had a good time because I never saw them. They were always playing or doing something. They figured out the layout of the resort faster them me and often took the shuttles between the hotels on their own. Great snorkeling but I would recommend water shoes for the ocean. Very safe environment with very friendly people. Our rooms were large and very clean. Our favorite restaurants were the Mikado, Le Gourmet, and Portofino. When we wanted to stay longer they all did their best to help us make it happen. All in all a great trip and I would go back to Coba in a heartbeat. Nancy T. (Montreal, QC)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear NancyT4_13,

On behalf of the entire Grand Bahia Principe Coba team I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel facility.

We are very happy that you appreciated the service and personal attention of our team, particularly the Golden Lobby crew, it will be a pleasure to communicate Jesus, Luis and Jennifer your especial mention and thanks.

We will be looking forward to welcoming you and your family back here at your new Mexican home.

Yours faithfully,

St. Albert, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I have visited this resort 12 times since it opened, by ourselves and withour family, we love it, the staff, the location, the ocean/beach is great! You can swim with the fish right from the beach! We have been to Jamica, Dominican, other destinations in Mexico, but we always come back here, it's our home away from home so to speak, you should give it a try if you haven't alaready done so, you won't be sorry......

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise, other than that, don't think there is a bad room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mayanfor2,

We want to take this opportunity to thank you all your visits and always kind words, your loyalty and preference make us feel very proud of our teamwork, we will be very happy to share your beautiful words with all the member that are part of the Grand Bahia Príncipe Coba.

Is always a pleasure to welcome you here in your home in the Mexican Caribbean.

Yours faithfully,

HALIFAX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed for a week first of May 2012. 5 adults and 2 children. The place is large but after a couple days you can find short cuts around. We found the buffet in the morning was best early when food is the fresh. Service was good most of the time depends on busy it is like most places you go. Pools are nice but for us they seem to close early 6 pm? Lobbys are nice service over all is good.
As far as people selling time shares easy smile and say no thank you after a couple times they won't even speak to you.
Yes you may see a few bugs , but you are down south. I would go back but not with children seems they didn't have a lot for kids to do. Also tip if service is good, they will remember you the next time you go to the buffet / pool bar / snack bar tec.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Frank3033,

We are very happy to read that you enjoyed our facilities and services during your visit last May. Thank you for sharing your experience. We will communicate your nice word to all the members of the Grand Bahia Principe Family. It will be an honor for us, if you and your family come to visit us again and know our new water park for children.

Sending you my kindest regards,

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Visited Mexico with my boyfriend for the 1st time for 14days. The welcome drink Margarita was so tasty, so we asked for one more and we got it. The fruit bowl was good as well, thank you.
And have to say, that it was amazing holiday. I couldn`t be more happy. I really enjoyed the selection of the food and the drinks. Our waiter in the main restaurant Jose was so funny, he always makes us laugh especially with his funny comment: It`s my pleasure :-)
The beach was great too, every day there were some activities like zumba, which I really enjoyed and my boyfried played almost every day beach volleyball and met lots of nice people especially Canadian. They are very friendly but sometimes on the beach they were too noisy and they took most of the loungers that we hadn`t chance to have even one for us, but its only detail.
By the main pool there were every single day activities and we had so much fun over there too. The staff been really funny especially the boss. He makes us laugh, especially when there were the beer contest and he was doing the strip show to one very old lady from Canada which spent there 3weeks, it was so funny, I couldn`t stop laugh :-)
I really enjoyed to go at the night time to Tulum because they had so many cute animals and beautiful markets and shops.
We visited Tulum the ruins, it was very interesting. We didn`t understand one thing, why the guide told us that we need to use repelent for mosquito? There wasn`t even 1 mosquito :-) And now we know that 5 mexican minutes is 30min :-)
There were only one thing which we really didn`t enjoy. The privilege people. When they see new people they offer them all the different presents like huts, sunglasess etc. So we actually took this advantage but to be honest we hadn`t clue what`s gonna happen next day. The next morning we had meeting with one really lovely Mexican lady, we had breakfast with her and than she showed to us most of the things about this privilege club and later on she showed to us the rooms....And after 1hours something like that we went to some special place where were so many foreign people and the staff which offered special deals to everyone who came there. We were really interesting about everything what the lady told us, but after few minutes came one of her colleague and wasn`t really nice to us. To be honest, we spent there nearly 3hrs and I was so nervous and felt sick in the same time. Because her manager tried to push us to sign this deal with him, but the thing is we were not ready for this. I need more time to thing about those things, to sign paper and sent every month money somewhere. Well, you need to be sure, that its good deal.. But I wasn`t sure and the bloke he pushed us so hard, so I did say that I have to leave. After few minutes came some member of staff and wanted know whats happened, so we told him and he written everything on some piece of paper and then we were done. If you are American or Canadian and you travell a lot with this company than it`s may be good deal for you but for us it wasn`t.
This was the only thing which we didn`t like but everything was just perfect!
PS: Thanks to Naomi from 9a for cleaning our room, it was always so nice especially on my Birthday. The decoration was amazing!
On my Birthday I swam with the dolphins and it was the most amazing experience in my life, i would recommend this one.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear hanatje,

We feel very honor that you and your boyfriend choose our Resort for your very first trip to the Mexican Caribbean, thank you for sharing your nice comments and pictures.

Here in Grand Bahia Principe Coba, our main goal is to make our guest's holidays unforgettable, it make us proud to see that we help you to have a wonderful birthday, you can be sure that we will transmit you beautiful words to Jose and Naomi, they will be content that you enjoyed their services.

We are looking forward to welcome you and your boyfriend again here at your new Mexican Home,

Kindest Regards,

Public Relations

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!