We visited the GBP Coba during the third week of March 2012. We were very impressed with the resort. It is by far the cleanest All Inclusive I have been too. There are countless workers around the resort cleaning, sweeping, painting, etc. I thought I may be a little disappointed going to the Coba. I had been to Atlantis in the Bahamas the week before. Sure, there are huge differences but then again, there is a huge difference in price.
1) Luis, the customer service manager is fantastic. I sent a couple of emails and I received prompt replies back. It seems like a small thing, but the email service was the determining factor between choosing this resort and another. I have sent the odd email to resorts in the past and have never received an email back or if I did, it was a basic automatic return one.
Luis was always busy at the resort and is very hands on. He was always available for questions and was very helpful. He also remembered guest when he saw them in the lobby/etc. The GBP is lucky to have him as a manager.
2) As described above, this place is really, really clean. They do an amazing job.
3) The resort has sufficient staff to handled busy times. We were there during march break. Unlike so many all inclusive in the past, there was not huge lines at the buffets or bars. Everything moved along very nicely. I walked to the beach one morning at 6:15 am and counted over 50 staff out and about on my way there.
4) The al a cart restaurants are very good. I was very impressed with the atmosphere, food quality and the service.
5) The staff are very friendly. We have travelled many times to various locations in the Caribbean. One disadvantage I have found with larger resorts is that you never get to know any of the staff. This was not the case at the Coba. Numerous times the staff would remember you. Luis is a perfect example of this. I also enjoyed meeting Jorge our waiter at the main buffet restaurant. It was his first week but he was extremely professional and efficient.
6) The grounds of the resort are perfectly manicured. It truly is paradise around the resort.
7) It has a very efficient trolley/ cart service to move you around the different locations. It is a little confusing at first, but once you figure it out, it is excellent.
8) Amazing towel art done by the room cleaning staff. My kids couldn’t wait to get back to the room each night to see what was done next.
9) Nice large spacious rooms that easily accommodates 2 adults and 2 kids.
10) The location of the resort in respect to Akumal and Tulum is a major plus. The resort is very close. Swimming with the turtles in Akumal is amazing and a must do. It is also free. (other than a small taxi fair to the beach).
There are very few in our opinion. However, some minor points are,
1) It is a very large resort and it is a good 10 minute walk to the beach. However, the walk helps to wear off the excess calories
2) They could use some additional loungers around the Coba pools. They are usually all occupied. ( or at least someone’s towel left there all day.) However, there appears to be room for lots of additional chairs.
3) This is not a negative to the resort. However, when using Sunquest, they stopped at 5 resorts along the way. It is over a 2 ½ hour bus ride once they make all the stops. If I was to go again, I would book a direct transfer myself.
4) The beach is very nice. However, it is a little rocky/shelly in a lot of spots.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Comments like yours help us to improve our service every day. It is a pleasure to read that you join your time here in the Grand Bahia Principe Coba, during your stay last March, thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us, it will certainly help us to keep focus on customer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.
We are very happy that you and your family enjoyed the kindness and services of all our great work-team with pleasure we will communicate your nice words to all of them, especially Luis , Jorge and our Housekeeping Department, they will be very happy that you remember them and their excellent service.
I would like to express our appreciation for your concerns and will discuss them with our Management Board soon, to incorporate them in to our improvement program. It would be a pleasure for us that you return to visit us here at the Riviera Maya
Sending you my kindest regards,
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.