“Very nice, but unsure if I'd return.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Coba

You added Grand Bahia Principe Coba to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - Cancun Km 250. Mexico, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
“Very nice, but unsure if I'd return.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

This resort is lovely. The rooms are clean and spacious, the service has been great, the grounds are beautifully maintained, the food is plentiful, there is free wifi in the lobbies, great shuttle services around the resorts...I could go on and on. There are a few things I am kind of stuck on though, that I actually think may be deal breakers for me.

First is the location. If you are someone who truly just likes to come and stay on the resort, then this resort is perfect for you. I am not one of these people. I have gone into playa del carmen twice during this two week vacation. It's approximately 30 minutes driving at a fairly fast speed to get there. While I am quite comfortable taking Collectivo during the day, I am not at all comfortable taking it at night. The cost to take Collectivo (a van shuttle service that the locals use on the highway) to playa is between 35-40 pesos....no prob. The cost to take a taxi to or from playa is anywhere from $24-35 US depending on how well you barter. This, I find annoying. The hotel doesn't offer any sort of shuttle service to Playa del Carmen. I'm guessing it just has to do with the distance.

The second thing is this...the food. When staying in coba, you are able to use any of the restaurants in coba, akumal, or tulum...including a la cartes. This is awesome! The only problem is this. There are probably anywhere between 4-6 buffet restaurants between the three resorts, but they ALL serve the exact same food every single day for both lunch and supper. For example, if you go to the buffet at tulum for lunch on tuesday, they will have the exact same selection of food, as if you go to the coba buffet for supper on saturday. So if you're here for a week, it's probably completely fine, but I've now been here for ten days and I'm struggling to want to go and eat meals, yet I still have four days left and there's nowhere nearby to go off the resort to get something.

The third thing is that there are no serving staff at any of the pools or on the beach. While, I can completely appreciate that this is a luxury, when I am paying to stay in a five star resort, I really want luxury.

My next point is that even though I have come here with family, I am booked single occupancy in my room. I paid nearly $700 for single supplement to stay in this resort for two weeks. I find that incredibly frustrating and difficult to justify. Too years ago, I paid maybe $450 for two weeks and last year I paid $275 for one week. So I have had a difficult time swallowing the extra $700 paid out. I can understand that perhaps I am taking a room up when there could be two or more people in it paying double, but at the same time, that room could potentially sit empty. Oh well, nature of the beast I guess.

The last thing is the evening entertainment. The entertainment staff are amazing!!! They work from the early morning until late at night when all of the shows are over and I am pretty sure they only get one day off per week. They are awesome for sure...no doubt about that. Where I am feeling disappointed is in that fact that ALL of the bars on your actual resort are closed by 1130pm. So yes, you can take the shuttle to the Hacienda don Isabel (which is still on the property, but quite a distance away) and watch the band that plays each night from about 1030pm-1200am, after which the disco opens. I just found myself ending up in my room earlier than I really would have liked because I didn't want to bother going all the way to the hacienda. I would have just liked to have chilled on my resort nearby and had a few drinks and laughs on a patio. I still wonder if they designed it this way to keep the resort quiet after 1130pm for the guests, but for some people, it's inconvenient. And usually I like to go to the disco and dance, but the DJ here plays a lot of techno. I know my younger brothers love this stuff, but many of us in our 30's don't really have the same appreciation for it!

Don't get me wrong, I know it seems like I have mostly just complained here, but that's not my intention. There are a lot of really great things about this resort. I have enjoyed myself. I'm just not sure if the positives outweigh the negatives for me.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Nola T,

We really appreciate that you take precious time of your holidays to share with us true TripAdvisor your observations.

All comments and observations are very important for our Resort, the opinions of our Guest help us to know better the needs and wishes of our guests. We will review your feedback with our Chef and Food & Beverage Manager and our DJ so he so you can vary the genres of musical selections to satisfy all tastes and ages.

Expecting to have the opportunity to receive you again in one of our hotels to be able to offer you a more agreeable experience.

Sending you my kindest regards.

Public Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,624)
  • Polish first
Plymouth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I traveled with 2 other couples to Coba for a week early February and we already wish we were back (80 degrees everyday and sunny!)
Our first day there was a bit strained because we were confused on where to check in (documents said "Coba" but when we got there they couldn't find our reservations and it was finally decided we were "Premiere" and had to be shuttled to a different check-in point.) It was 5:30 PM when we finally were all checked in but we were bummed to discover all the pool bars close at 5, which we thought was quite early. After day one though, every day after was perfect! It took a day or two to get a grasp of the trolley system and where different buffets and restaurants were, but it's a vacation - don't stress out!
Many of the reviewers complained about how it was difficult to find anything and the food not being great, but I think those people are the type the are never satisfied. ALL six of us thought the place was great and the food and drinks were too!
There is so much to do at this resort, we never even got around to taking out kayaks or catamarans, which are free.
OH and the rooms are beautiful! Marble and tile everything! The beds and pillows aren't the most comfortable, but not horrible. I grabbed a pillow from the sofa and that was much softer :) Our housekeeper also always had a towel animal on our bed with flower arrangements. Everyday she did something different - we thought it was a special touch.
HIGHLY recommend eating at the La Gran Tortuga in Tulum - SUPER YUMMY!!!
Another big recommendation: TIP ! The employees work hard and are always very busy, but if you tip they WILL remember you and give you special treatment. Our group always tipped for drinks, at dinner, and our housekeepers. At the beach and pool bars, we stuck with the same bartenders and they'd go out of their way to serve us first if they saw us since we tipped with a smile and "Gracias!"

Only complaint is that I stupidly left behind my digital camera in the room when we left and I haven't been able to get a response from the hotel to see if they've found it. I doubt I'll get it back.

Room Tip: E-mail ahead of time and ask for a third floor room.
Dear Packtwin,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your nice comments about your stay here at the Grand Bahia Principe Coba, we are delighted to have a pleasant stay. It will be a pleasure to transmit your satisfaction to our Housekeeping department and team work of La Gran Tortuga, will be very happy for the recognition of their work.

In order to make the appropriate research about your camera, please send us an email with all the details, please keep the same subject we used in order to identify you straight away.

We will be very happy to welcome you and your family soon here in the Riviera Maya, once again thank you for your time and comments.

Receive our warmest regards.

Coal Valley, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We returned to Gran Bahia Principe Coba with 3 other couples for the 4th time from Jan 29-Feb 6, 2013. Another terrific stay at beautiful Gran Bahia. The staff is the best...always smiling whether they meet us on the grounds, in the dining areas, in our buildings, at events or when we're planning excurions or just asking for information. They never cease to amaze us with their friendliness. They treat everyone with respect and big smiles! And the grounds are so beautifully designed and well kept. The food in the a la carte dining rooms are outstanding! And the buffets are constantly changing what is offered.
The pool areas are so clean and also well-designed. The lobby's are all beautiful and a joy to walk into, the bars are well-staffed with smiling faces. Our rooms...which are more like suites...are beautiful and large and the staff keeps them so clean.
Last year we tried the 25 minute massage at the spa and we liked it so well that we returned this year for the 50 minute massage! The staff is so professional and do such a wonderful job.
Any time you travel, the service can make your decision on whether you return. No doubt about it, this staff is top-notch and will have you coming back. We thank them for a wonderful and relaxing stay. We so appreciate all you do to make our stay a memorable one.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Sunnydays1969,

Your loyalty and preference make us proud for our work, thank you very much for sharing your nice comments and pictures with us. For Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba the feedback of our guests are really important, we will forward your nice words to all our departments and our Spa, they will be content for the recognition of their work.

Expecting the opportunity to welcome you and your friends here in your Riviera Maya home!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

I've been to a few all Inculsives and I think I finally found my home away from home. My friends have gone there 7 times and brought us with them, on this trip and we loved it. Can't wait till next year.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Repoman3,

We really appreciate your beautiful comments, the most important for us is make our guest happy and at home. It is pleasure for us to read that with you we did it. We will share your nice words with all the members of the Grand Bahía Príncipe Family.

We are looking forward to welcome you here at your new Mexican Home,

Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This was our first trip to Mexico and a Silver Wedding Anniversary celebration for us.Im sure we couldnt have chosen a better hotel.The staff were so friendly+polite and nothing was too much trouble for them.The inside and outside of the hotel was spotless and beautiful.The quality and choice of food in the Coba buffet was excellent and we ate there all the time.We would definately recommend this hotel and we will be going back .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Chris M,

It was a honor that you choose Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba for celebrate your Wedding Anniversary. We are very content to read that you enjoyed your first time in the Mexican Caribbean and that we fulfill your expectations. We will forward your nice words to all our great team.

We hope to welcome you again soon, thank you very much for take part of your time to share your experience with us.

Kindest regards from the Riviera Maya,

New Yorik City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

After a wonderful family vacation with my parents and our grown kids at the Sian Kaan in January 2012, my husband and I decided to return to the GBP in February 2013, but this time we stayed at the Coba. We liked it even better, as it is more centrally located and our room was larger and more comfortable than the one at the Sian Kaan.

Our room was at the eastern end of the Coba property, about a 5-minute walk from the beach and gym, and right around the corner from a buffet restaurant and pool. This resort has everything you could want and the quality of the food, drinks and service is better than at any other all-inclusives we've visited. We remembered enjoying meals at the Arlequin and Gran Tortuga a la carte restaurants, so we made sure to reserve them ahead of time via e-mail. One mistake we made was eating most of our meals at the buffet closest to our room, attached to the Club Premier lobby. On the last night, we discovered that the main Coba buffet restaurant, off the Coba lobby, is 4 times the size and has a much better selection.

We spent one day sightseeing, taking a tour of the Tulum and Coba Mayan ruins, which was very worthwhile. We booked it ahead of time for $69 per person using www.cancun-discounts.com. I believe it would have been $100 per person if we had booked it through the hotel. The tour included lunch at a somewhat rundown but excellent Mexican restaurant. Needless to say, we avoided the uncooked vegetables.

My only complaint about our stay was the maid service. We left a tip every day, but the maid usually did not replace the items we'd used from the mini bar and also did not replace the large bottles of water in the room, even when we were down to half a bottle. This is a small complaint, though, and in general I highly recommend the Coba.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear NYCTraveler60,

Your preference our Resort inspires us to improve every day, we really appreciate that you share with us your experience here in the Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba.

Your comments are really important; they help us to know better the needs and wishes of our guests, we will share all your observations with the departments involve, especially with our Food&Beverage Manager as are they who refill the minibar, in order to take the necessary actions to reinforce the service.

We are looking forward to welcome you and your family for a 3Th time here in your Riviera Maya home.

Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed at GBP Coba for a week in February with friends for our first all-inclusive vacation and it was great. The lobby is impressive, the grounds were impeccably well-maintained and everything was exceptionally clean and beautiful.

Staff - by far the best part of the resort. We were always greeted with a friendly "hola!" everywhere we went, and they went above and beyond to make our vacation memorable. It's true that not all of them speak fluent English, but most are very helpful and if they don't understand they will find someone who does.

Food - the buffet was exceptional and we never had a bad meal. There are SO many choices at every meal it would be impossible to not find something good. The Mexican station was our favourite! For our 3 a la carte meals we ate at Mediteraneo (delicious) and Tequila (our favourite by far). The only disappointing meal we had was at El Pescador (seafood) and I will say it was actually so bad we didn't eat the main course and went to the buffet instead. But you can't win 'em all and 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Bars - our only complaint was that some of the outdoor/beach bars were understaffed and there were line-ups at times. Having said that, the drinks were all delicious and the staff were very accommodating.

Beach - we were a little concerned after reading some of the reviews about the rocky beach. Keep in mind GBP actually consists of 3 resorts so the beach area is HUGE. If you are in a rocky area, keep walking and find a sandy area. There are spots that are less rocky further down. The beach did get crowded fairly early, but having said that we never had a day where we couldn't find 6 chairs so it wasn't that bad.

Grounds - the resort is absolutely beautiful and very well-maintained. If you are staying at Coba (as opposed to Tulum or Akumal) it is farther from the beach but the trolleys are constantly coming around every 10 minutes or so and it's about a 5-10 minute ride. We never had an issue getting there.

Rooms - our room was perfect and quite spacious. We were on the ground floor of building 12. Our only complaint was that the bed was quite hard and the pillows weren't great. Otherwise it was spotless for our entire trip and the bar was stocked daily with beer (Dos Equis), big water bottles, and pop. They also left a few snacks each day. We tipped at the beginning of the week so maybe that helped :)

Overall if you are looking for a solid, clean, friendly all-inclusive, this is a great option. It is not a premium luxury resort but it's a beautiful place for families and groups.

Room Tip: There are no ocean view rooms at Coba. They are situated in a half-moon shape so you will not be mor...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Kristin M,

First of all thank you very much for staying in the Gran Bahia Principe Coba, and taking the time to write your positive impressions. It is for guests like you that our resort remains one of the most appreciated hotels in the Riviera Maya.

Our goal is to make our guests happy. We are truly happy to read that you enjoyed the kindness of all our team members. We will share your comments with all our departments, especially the Chef of the Pescador Restaurant, to review with him your observations. Thank you very much again for sharing your experience with us.

It will be an honor and a pleasure to welcome you and your friends again here in your new Mexican home.

Yours faithfully

Public Relations

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!