“An average experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Coba

You added Grand Bahia Principe Coba to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - Cancun Km 250. Mexico, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Winter up to 50% off
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
“An average experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is my second time at the resort. This time we came for a family wedding.
Overall, my experience was okay.

The beach.
The beach was amazing and not very rocky. There were always beach chairs available.
The bartenders were friendly.

The pool.
The pool was very close to our room. I have two toddlers so the shallow ends of the pools were great for them. The Coba pool was warm in comparison to the Tulum pool.

The room.
The room was clean but the air conditioner was very loud. The first night I did not get very much sleep. We complained about the air conditioning , which did not fix the problem. We mainly left the air off. The person at the front desk mentioned that he would move us to another room but it never happened. Our fridge was not stocked when we arrived in the room and the person did not come to replenish our water and fridge until the third day.

The lobby restaurant.
A couple of the waiters were rude but overall the staff was very friendly. I usually had to ask for two highchairs several times before they came. The food was better the first time we were at the resort.

A La Carte.
This time we went to the Italian, Japanese and seafood A La Carte. The Seafood was my favorite.

Overall the trip was okay but I do not think I will go back to this resort especially with my family.

Also some of the drivers of the trolleys need to slow down. One driver came to a sudden stop and my husband was holding our children. They fell out of their seat and hit the people in front of them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear "Gina L",

Thank you very much for sharing with your experience here in the Riviera Maya. The comments and observations of all our guest are truly important for us. We will review your comments with our Reception , Maintenance, Food&Beverage and Housekeeping departments. In order to reinforce or improve were is need.

We expect to have the opportunity to welcome you and your family a 3Th time to be able to offer a more charming experience.

Best Regards,

Public Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,770)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Moyie, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This was a second time to this resort and we will go back.

The bus ride is a little daunting but this time around (with Westjet) was much better than our first time (with Transat.) This is a large resort and we still have not seen all of it although we've been there twice. So, there can be a lot of walking (which I like) or there is trolleys to ferry you around. Our vacation was very good; we enjoyed the excursions we went on and the representative was a great resource and helpful in booking these. There is always lots to do - just not enough time to do it all.

The rooms were good but I would suggest that you request a "bed topper" as I found the beds to be quite hard. I was able to email down my requests i.e. safe key, bed topper and my a la carte requests before leaving home. Thank you Ilse for all of your help!

The buffets are all a little different; so I would suggest you try different ones. The a la carte restaurants we ate at were the following:
La Gran Tortuga (good meat feast);
Don Pablo (good);
Arlequin (love this one);
Le Gourmet (?? good but - my husband got food poisoning from the scallop appetizer and my salmon appetizer didn't taste right so I left it. They were offering steak and lobster for an additional fee?)
Dolce Vita (the best - food was perfect; ambience and service were terrific) - have to admit I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did and it was my last pick - again - it will go on the must have for my next visit.

I did find and report a discrepancy in the room service with a couple of days of missing towels; bathmat, facecloths; bed not being completely made but overall not really any problem. Our room location was good being in bldg 2 which we found quiet - we didn't have pool view but we were just steps away from everything. One thing - if you're a 'black tea' drinker - you may wish to bring your own.

Tipping - although the resort says it is not necessary - we did tip daily and so I would suggest that you get small denominations.

I also wished to thank the resort for the invitation to meet with the management and provide comments although we did not attend as we had reservations for the same time. I found the public relations department excellent in service whenever I had any inquiries.

I found all the staff to be friendly and helpful. No shortage of food or drink - watch out for weight gain. The only thing - look out for the timeshare guys in the main lobby.
We're currently booking a trip south for the first week of February and just may end up there again.

Room Tip: Both times I have been located in the Royal Golden area and have no complaints.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is a really long review. I wanted to be thorough. :-)

We stayed there from January 8 to 17, 2013 (9 nights, 10 days).

We booked our vacation package through the Sunquest website, our package included hotel, meals, drinks, hotel/airport transfer, and tips.

TRANSFER:
Unfortunately, our bus ride down to our hotel took “the milk run” down, stopping at 5 or 6 resorts on the way down. This added about an extra hour to our trip and was disappointing. The last two times we stayed in the Riviera Maya (Transat Holidays in 2010 and Nolitours in 2011), the bus took us straight to our resort first, because we were the lowest down the strip, and then hit everyone else's resorts on the way back up. I don't know why Sunquest chooses to be different than everyone else in this regard.

GENERAL NOTES ABOUT THE RESORT FACILITIES:
We booked the Coba resort because it was the cheapest price (compared to the Tulum and Akumal ones). From what we read on their website and on Trip Advisor, you are allowed to use all three resorts and all of the beaches and restaurants, so we figured we might as well stay at the cheapest place and just use all the facilities anyway! :-)

It’s about a 20 minute walk to the beach from building 15 in Coba - it's a beautiful walk. Or you can take a club car and get there in a couple minutes. We didn’t care if we had a beach-front room, or a room 'close' to the beach. We prefer to lay by the pool, not the beach, so we didn’t care about that. It does not matter which one you are formally staying at, you’re allowed to use all of the buffets, restaurants, snack-bars and beaches of all three resorts. The only exception is the premiere/privilege areas – those are reserved for those members only. Otherwise, anybody can go anywhere.

The club cars are awesome. They have ones that will drive you around your own resort, plus they have ones that will take you to the lobby of the other two resorts. Once you get to the lobby you want, you can walk to where you want to go, or take a club car that drives around that resort locally. So it is very easy to get from place to place if you don’t want to walk. They say they come by every 15 minutes, but honestly, it’s even better than that – they come by every few minutes, it’s awesome. The drivers are more than happy to direct you to the right club car or right building if you need help. The club cars will also take you to special spots, such as the beach, the Hacienda Doñas, etc.

The lawns and gardens are impeccable. Very neat and well-kept facility. Beaches are clean. Best part: we NEVER had to “fight” or “search” for a lounge chair, at our pool or at the beach. There are tons of loungers. I don’t know if the reason was because they truly have plenty of loungers or if they just weren’t fully booked, but either way we were very pleased that we didn’t have to run out at 7am and try to reserve a lounger, like we’ve had to do at other resorts. Even if you go out at 10am or in the afternoon, you can still get one! Awesome.

All of the lobbies, lobby terraces, lobby bars/lounges are gorgeous. Beautiful, professional floral arrangements everywhere and pretty tubs of plants everywhere.

There is a Dolphin facility on-site in the Tulum resort. You can go watch people interacting with the dolphins for free. You have to pay if you want to go participate.

OUR ROOM:
We stayed in room 31505, which means villa/building 15, room 05 which is on the main floor. The back sliding doors have a view of a small lawn, trees, and the trees/shrubs that surround the pool. Not a fantastic view but I’ll take it over looking at snow! It is $5/day to have an in-room safe. WIFI is not free in your room – that would cost $17/day (too pricey)! Free WIFI in the lobby and lobby lounge so that is where we went to check email and such. The hair dryer in the room did not work well. It was making a horrible rattling noise and smoking! The bar fridge was not cold, either. All the drinks inside were warm. Later on the drinks did get colder though, so I think the bar fridge was working only intermittently. On the first night we were there, I called the front desk to ask about the blow dryer and they came immediately (within 15 minutes) to replace it with a new one that worked. Wonderful. A few days later my husband called about the bar fridge, and again they came and replaced it immediately. They are VERY quick to respond to complaints, and we were very happy with their service.

STAFF:
The entertainment staff are a hoot. They love to party and it shows. They do great activities like yoga stretching, water aerobics, pool party, beer-drinking contest, surfing contest, water volleyball, water soccer, disco and karaoke on the terrace at night, etc.

ALL of the staff (waiters, waitresses, front desk, maintenance men, club car drivers, bartenders) were pleasant, spoke English, and provided great service. I was very pleased.

BUFFET:
The Coba resort has a main buffet called the Kukulkan. It is very large, offering lots of hot and cold choices and one or two stations serving fresh items (not out of chafing dishes). Some items are repeated, so it isn’t as large as it seems. There is something for everyone, for sure with lots of meat, fruits, vegetables, cheeses, starches, breads, etc. We went there for dinner every night that we didn’t have an a la carte reservation, and went there for breakfast every morning.

A LA CARTE:
If you are staying there one week, you get three a la carte reservations. Because we were there 9 nights, they said they would let us have four. We only ended up using three though. You need to book the a la carte reservations as soon as you check in, and I’m not kidding about that. The “premiere/privilege” members get to go to a la carte restos as many times as they want so I think they get booked up fast because of that. We waited until our 2nd day there to try to book them.

The Japanese one, called “Mikado”, has normal seating or seating at a Teppanyaki table for a “show” dinner. We could only get a reservation for a “show dinner” a full week after we arrived! It’s a good thing we were staying 9 nights, and could pull that off – had we been only booked for only one week, we would not have been able to attend that at all. Same goes for the Brazilian restaurant, “La Tortuga” – the only reservation we could get (at a reasonable time) was for our last night there. We also tried the Mediterranean restaurant, “Mediterraneo”. All three restaurants were great. The service was excellent, the food was great, the menu options were good.

The Mediterraneo was quite good. My hubby had the steak and he said it was really good. I had the lemon chicken and it was also good. The salad bar that you start with doesn’t just have salad only. It has fish and ham croquettes (which were amazing) and breaded calamari and they had goat cheese and brie cheese – yummy!

The Mikado Teppanyaki show was awesome – the chef did better tricks with the knives and spatulas than I’ve seen at Teppanyaki shows at home in the Greater Toronto Area.

La Tortuga (Brazilian) was quite good – the gaucho guy comes by with all kinds of meats on big skewers and cuts them off and serves them to you. There are six options: steak, chicken, turkey, sausage, fish and pork. I passed on the fish, pork and sausage. The steak and chicken were great, the turkey was good. The chocolate cake dessert was awesome.

SNACK BAR:
Almost every day we would eat at the Coba snack bar called “Piscis”. This had a reasonable buffet of hamburgers, hot dogs, nachos, and salads. Plus chicken nuggets or fingers. A few days they did a “fresh” barbecue display on the terrace in front of the buffet. One day they had a giant seafood paella set out, which smelled amazing. One day we took the club car thing over to the Tulum lobby and then walked to the beach. We had lunch at the Tulum snack bar that day. Their snack bar is definitely superior to the Coba one. Much larger with more choices. Theirs had breaded fish fingers (real fish, not like Captain Highliner) and two or three varieties of pizza, which the Coba snack bar did not have. The nice thing about this resort: it does not matter which one you are formally staying at, you’re allowed to use all of the buffets, restaurants, snack-bars and beaches of all three resorts. The only exception is the premiere/privilege areas – those are reserved for those members only. Otherwise, anybody can go anywhere.

BARS:
The mixed drinks are a little watered down. I had a hard time tasting any rum in my Rum & Cokes (“Cuba Libre”), or the vodka and melon liqueur in their “Esmeralda” drinks (what we call a “Pearl Harbor” at home). But, if you drink all day, you will get a buzz eventually, so just take it easy and pace yourself. If you’re looking to get loaded, you need to do shots. Ask for a shot of Bailey’s (it’s some no-name Irish Cream but it tastes the same) or a Kamikaze, or a Tequila.

PREMIER CLUB:
The staff will try to convince you to attend a presentation of their premier club. We went to it, just to see what it was all about. It only takes about 90 minutes to go through the presentation and sales pitches. We declined to purchase ourselves, but could see some of the benefit to joining. It just wasn’t for us, it doesn’t suit the way we like to travel.

SHOWS:
The show starts at 9pm at Tulum, and at 10pm at Coba. I don’t know what time at Akumal, we never made it over there. We never made it to one show at Coba, cuz we can’t seem to stay up until 10pm after running around in the sun all day! But we did make it to a few shows at Tulum at 9pm. The Michael Jackson show (which was quite good), the Caribbean show, and the Musicals show. The shows are the same at each theatre, they are on rotation (for example, if you see the Michael Jackson show at Tulum on a Friday night, it will play again at the Coba theatre on a different night).

All in all had a great time. I recommend people give this resort a try!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Jennifer P,

Thank you very much for taking part of your time to share with us your experience here in the Mexican Caribbean. We are very happy to know that I enjoy the service and friendliness of all members who are part of the Grand Bahia Principe Coba family. It will be our pleasure to share your kind comments with them.

It will be our pleasure and honor to welcome you here in the Riviera Maya again.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

my husband booked this hotel for my birthday ,it was a surprise .we had never been on such a large complex but we have had a fantastic two weeks .on arrival the room was spotless large tv ,well stocked fridge with drink ,which was topped up every day .well equiped with table chairs etc not that we were in our rm much .the staff were very friendly and helpful .one of the bar waitress ,noemi daiyuin was interested in learning more english so she very often came for a chat .my husband had a photo taken with one of the bell boys hats on behind the wheel of his little train ,which take u all over complex.christian loezg guerrero the bell boy was very helpful ,he collected our luggage to take to lobby on our departure .the beach and ocean is fantastic .we are now on healthy living as the food is amazing and plenty of cocktails to try .

Room Tip: our rm was in good situation from pool ,we had a upgrade rm
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear "nana m",

Thank you very much for sharing your birthday experience with us. We are really happy to read that you enjoyed your birthday present and your time with us here in the Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba.

It will be our pleasure to communicate your nice comments to Noemi and Christian, they will be pleasant that you remember them and their good service. We are already looking forward to welcome you before your next birthday.

Sending you my kindest regards,

Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

i went there with my friend, everything was perfect, great animation, food was good the beach too. we paid for the golden service for a private lobby, quiet, private bartender, free wifi and computer. you have to take a shuttle for going to the beach but the service is good, there are many. i recommend this resort to anyone !!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Vador7,

We would like to thank you your nice comments about the Grand Bahia Principe Coba, it will be our pleasure to share with our Animation Team, Food&Beverage Departments and the staff in Lobby Golden your kind words.

We will be looking forward to welcoming you back here at your new Mexican home

San Mateo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Seriously my husband and I have not had such a relaxing vacation EVER! The Coba was fantastic from start to finish.

Rooms:
Huge and clean! Comfortable bed, couch, balcony, table/chairs. We didn't use a lot of it, but it was all there. The mini-bar was stocked daily and the candy bar surprise was a nice touch. We really enjoyed our welcome bottle of tequila, and when they formed our towels into an elephant, I died, I love elephants and I didn't want to disassemble it. Sometimes they forgot to give us wash cloths, but it was no biggie, we could have called to get some, but we didn't. For those who are picky about their pillows, these are just okay...a little small, but there are extras in the closet.

Food:
First of all, their NYE buffet was out of this world! I was in shellfish heaven. My poor husband is allergic, but there was so much meat for him to eat, he didn't care. The staff at the restaurants/buffets are so incredibly friendly and helpful. I hope everyone remembers to tip them. The buffets always had something tasty, my favorite parts were the fresh fruits and the Mexican food station. I could eat it all day, every day. One thing of note, the snack bars have a ton of food that you have to ask for. We didn't figure that out until the last day, but the roasted chicken is to die for, it falls of the bones. Wish we figured that out sooner. Also, if you want a fresh coconut, you have to go the Coba beach bar at the very end, we didn't figure that out until the last day either and I'm not sure why they weren't at the other beach bars. The alcohol at the all inclusive was impressive. I was expected cheaper booze and was impressed with the quality. For the A La Carte restaurants, we ate at the seafood place, Le Gourmet, and the brazilian steak house. All of them were fabulous, especially Le Gourmet. Us Californians are no longer allowed to get foie gras, and we were all over it!

Entertainment:
The Michael Jackson show was fun, and the nightly zumba after stuffing our faces was great. People seemed really happy with the entertainment there, but honestly we just hung out on the beach as much as possible. We also took Collectivo's into Playa del Carmen, Tulum, and a ferry to Cozumel...all really easy day trips and totally enjoyable.

Overall, absolutely loved this place and I totally understand why people come back multiple times. In fact, as I'm typing here at work, I wish I was back...it's just about dinner time over there, and I want to go back to Le Gourmet for some Foie gras!

Room Tip: We had a great room by the quiet pool. There was no noise at night, it was perfect.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Leya L,

It is a pleasure to read that you join your time here at the Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba in the Riviera Maya.

We are very happy to read that you enjoyed the kindness of the service of all our staff members.Comments like yours are a beautiful motivation for all the members of the Grand Bahía Príncipe Hotels & Resorts family.

It will be a pleasure for me to share with all our departments, specially the Animation team, Food&Beverage and Housekeeping departments your nice words.

We will be looking forward to welcoming you back here at your new Mexican Caribbean home

Seville, Andalucia, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We booked here only for our friends' wedding. The minute we came in, we were longing for our Iberostar experience. The drive took over 2 hours with all the people being dropped off at other hotels and all the U-turns that took 15 minutes to loop us back on track. We arrived at 10pm, tired, hot and sweaty. At the main lobby for check-in, we were told we have to take a ride to go to another check-in. They assured us that our luggage will be brought to our room from the lobby. Upon check-in our room was not ready. They were over-booked, and our room had to be cleaned. Meanwhile we had dinner at the buffet. Arriving at our room, the stench of mold overwhelmed us. We demanded a change of room. In the new room, a big spider was waiting. My husband stepped on it, out came pouring hundreds of baby spiders. Bell man and husband were stomping for 10 minutes. Every stomp sent out more spiders from the mother. Realizing our luggage wasn't delivered yet, my husband went with the bellman to fetch them. Too exhausted, we stayed in the room but have to change rooms in the morning. Food was below average, no vent or fan in the bathrooms, tv in 1st room had no remote. Tv in 2nd room had poor reception, cleaning personnel did a sloppy job despite tips. Pool was boring, entertainment lascivious (not for kids), beach was the only best part, although they serve drinks in disposable plastic cups which littered the area. Staff were very nice. Too many timeshare people harassing you in the lobby. You have to pay for the safe lock for the room. The lock was old-fashioned with key, no combination here. Everywhere you cannot escape cigarette smoke. If you do not want to smoke, you stay indoors. It was a sickening 2 weeks of my lungs full of cigarette smoke. The shuttles taking you everywhere were not well-maintained. Smoke everywhere. Iberostar has cleaner ones. I find the layout of this resort too crowded. Iberostar was the best all throughout. Never going back to Gran Bahia.

Room Tip: Never book a 1st floor. You get bugs. All bathrooms have no ventilation, prepare for the smell of...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Senora_Maria,

Thank you for making us participants of your general impression. Your feed back is welcome and valued. The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important to maintain the quality and service.

We are truly sorry that we could not provide you a more personalized service. That certainly does not reflect the commitment and the quality that we have exhibited for many years, we have reviewed your comments with the different departments and introduce corrective actions or improvements where is necessary.

Once again thank you for your time and comments, hoping to have a second opportunity in a near future.

Receive our warmest regards.

Public Relations

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!