“Awesome” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Coba to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Aventuras Akumal, Crtra. Xetumal - Cancun, Km 249, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 20 hotels in Akumal
Quebec City, Canada
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

i went there with my friend, everything was perfect, great animation, food was good the beach too. we paid for the golden service for a private lobby, quiet, private bartender, free wifi and computer. you have to take a shuttle for going to the beach but the service is good, there are many. i recommend this resort to anyone !!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Vador7,

We would like to thank you your nice comments about the Grand Bahia Principe Coba, it will be our pleasure to share with our Animation Team, Food&Beverage Departments and the staff in Lobby Golden your kind words.

We will be looking forward to welcoming you back here at your new Mexican home

7,361 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,408)
  • Polish first
San Mateo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Seriously my husband and I have not had such a relaxing vacation EVER! The Coba was fantastic from start to finish.

Rooms:
Huge and clean! Comfortable bed, couch, balcony, table/chairs. We didn't use a lot of it, but it was all there. The mini-bar was stocked daily and the candy bar surprise was a nice touch. We really enjoyed our welcome bottle of tequila, and when they formed our towels into an elephant, I died, I love elephants and I didn't want to disassemble it. Sometimes they forgot to give us wash cloths, but it was no biggie, we could have called to get some, but we didn't. For those who are picky about their pillows, these are just okay...a little small, but there are extras in the closet.

Food:
First of all, their NYE buffet was out of this world! I was in shellfish heaven. My poor husband is allergic, but there was so much meat for him to eat, he didn't care. The staff at the restaurants/buffets are so incredibly friendly and helpful. I hope everyone remembers to tip them. The buffets always had something tasty, my favorite parts were the fresh fruits and the Mexican food station. I could eat it all day, every day. One thing of note, the snack bars have a ton of food that you have to ask for. We didn't figure that out until the last day, but the roasted chicken is to die for, it falls of the bones. Wish we figured that out sooner. Also, if you want a fresh coconut, you have to go the Coba beach bar at the very end, we didn't figure that out until the last day either and I'm not sure why they weren't at the other beach bars. The alcohol at the all inclusive was impressive. I was expected cheaper booze and was impressed with the quality. For the A La Carte restaurants, we ate at the seafood place, Le Gourmet, and the brazilian steak house. All of them were fabulous, especially Le Gourmet. Us Californians are no longer allowed to get foie gras, and we were all over it!

Entertainment:
The Michael Jackson show was fun, and the nightly zumba after stuffing our faces was great. People seemed really happy with the entertainment there, but honestly we just hung out on the beach as much as possible. We also took Collectivo's into Playa del Carmen, Tulum, and a ferry to Cozumel...all really easy day trips and totally enjoyable.

Overall, absolutely loved this place and I totally understand why people come back multiple times. In fact, as I'm typing here at work, I wish I was back...it's just about dinner time over there, and I want to go back to Le Gourmet for some Foie gras!

Room Tip: We had a great room by the quiet pool. There was no noise at night, it was perfect.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Leya L,

It is a pleasure to read that you join your time here at the Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba in the Riviera Maya.

We are very happy to read that you enjoyed the kindness of the service of all our staff members.Comments like yours are a beautiful motivation for all the members of the Grand Bahía Príncipe Hotels & Resorts family.

It will be a pleasure for me to share with all our departments, specially the Animation team, Food&Beverage and Housekeeping departments your nice words.

We will be looking forward to welcoming you back here at your new Mexican Caribbean home

Seville, Andalucia, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We booked here only for our friends' wedding. The minute we came in, we were longing for our Iberostar experience. The drive took over 2 hours with all the people being dropped off at other hotels and all the U-turns that took 15 minutes to loop us back on track. We arrived at 10pm, tired, hot and sweaty. At the main lobby for check-in, we were told we have to take a ride to go to another check-in. They assured us that our luggage will be brought to our room from the lobby. Upon check-in our room was not ready. They were over-booked, and our room had to be cleaned. Meanwhile we had dinner at the buffet. Arriving at our room, the stench of mold overwhelmed us. We demanded a change of room. In the new room, a big spider was waiting. My husband stepped on it, out came pouring hundreds of baby spiders. Bell man and husband were stomping for 10 minutes. Every stomp sent out more spiders from the mother. Realizing our luggage wasn't delivered yet, my husband went with the bellman to fetch them. Too exhausted, we stayed in the room but have to change rooms in the morning. Food was below average, no vent or fan in the bathrooms, tv in 1st room had no remote. Tv in 2nd room had poor reception, cleaning personnel did a sloppy job despite tips. Pool was boring, entertainment lascivious (not for kids), beach was the only best part, although they serve drinks in disposable plastic cups which littered the area. Staff were very nice. Too many timeshare people harassing you in the lobby. You have to pay for the safe lock for the room. The lock was old-fashioned with key, no combination here. Everywhere you cannot escape cigarette smoke. If you do not want to smoke, you stay indoors. It was a sickening 2 weeks of my lungs full of cigarette smoke. The shuttles taking you everywhere were not well-maintained. Smoke everywhere. Iberostar has cleaner ones. I find the layout of this resort too crowded. Iberostar was the best all throughout. Never going back to Gran Bahia.

Room Tip: Never book a 1st floor. You get bugs. All bathrooms have no ventilation, prepare for the smell of...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Senora_Maria,

Thank you for making us participants of your general impression. Your feed back is welcome and valued. The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important to maintain the quality and service.

We are truly sorry that we could not provide you a more personalized service. That certainly does not reflect the commitment and the quality that we have exhibited for many years, we have reviewed your comments with the different departments and introduce corrective actions or improvements where is necessary.

Once again thank you for your time and comments, hoping to have a second opportunity in a near future.

Receive our warmest regards.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Had the best time here :) if you go to coba make sure in the breakfast time you find the waiter Zacaras :) sit in his section he was amazing made us feel soo welcome and helped us out with all our needs since we had an infant with us. Overall I recommend this place to anyone :):)

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Pfc10,

First of all we would like to thank you your visit to the Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba here at the Mexican Riviera.

We are really content to read that you and your family enjoyed the kindness and services of our staff members, we will forward your lovely specials mention to Zacharias, it will make him proud of his excellent work.

It will be an honor for us here in Gran Bahía Principe Coba to welcome you and your family once again. Thank you very much for sharing with us your experience,

Best Regards,

alma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Late Post--Travelled Feb 2012 here.

I gave this resort 4 stars just because I've seen better beaches for the price, and the beach was quite a walk from our room (and a long drive of 1 hour 45 mins from airport). We knew this going in and thought it would be fine in order to get exercise from all the eating/overindulging. Although the beach was gorgeous, I prefer a more aqua color like cancun and Playa Del Carmen. It was fine though as we went to those places as well.

However, everything else was great. Felix greeted us upon arrival with cocktails and a fantastic attitude. Also, from day one Jose who drove the golf cart was always ready for us to take us anywhere we wanted to go. We brought him some American goodies, such as cheese and home made summer sausage, which he loved. He always was there with a smile and ready to go. All of the service was good from every staff member, Im just bad with names, so I can't name them all.

The food was great considering it was an all-inclusive. And, of course, as with most all inclusives the bed was hard. A la Carte was fine...not five star fine dining, but definitely good. The Japanese steak house was good, but we do that back home, so wasn't a big deal. But, it was very fun talking with everyone at our table. A great mix of people go there. We are from US but met wonderful people from Istanbul, Argentina, UK, and Canada. A very nice mix to hang out with.

Transportation was easy and cheap. We took the collectivo vans out in front of resort for about $3US one way all over the place. There's a lot to do in the area.

At the resort, entertainment was great and the performers worked very hard to entertain. Drinks were good, but not great, however, you can get top shelf cocktails in the Coba lounge, which we regularly did....the service there was spectacular, as were the drinks (better than at the beach).

I would go back here definitely when I want to go back to Mayan Riviera. For the price it was amazing. Not a Ritz or a Loews, but very nice for what you pay.

One Tip and something I want to do next time I go, is bring your own cup. For me, I thought the drinks by the beach could have been served in better cups. I'm not into the little itty bitty plastic cups scene. One more tip--email felix ahead of time, with any requests you may have. We did and were upgraded to the Coba premiere building. I couldn't get a mattress pad, but that's ok. I napped on the beach and that more than made up for the loss of sleep due to lack of bed comfort.

Oh, of course, please tip the hard workers...they work very hard for us and are more than please with a dollar to five, depending on what service they were providing.

Room Tip: email ahead of time with special requests for room preference and mattress pad.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear kirosebud54,

Thank you very much for taking you the time to share with us your experience here in the Grand Bahía Principe Coba during your stay in last February.

The comments and observations of all our guests are important they help us to know their wishes and to know were we need to reinforce the service. We are content that you enjoyed the service of our staff members, especially from Jose and Felix, we will transmit to all the departments all your comments.

It will be an honor to welcome you back here at the Riviera Maya

Kind Regards from the Mexican Caribbean

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

My girlfreind and I went for a week at the Coba. Overall the place was very nice and the people were great. Found that staff was very tip oriented and would only react when paid.. at a 5 star this shouldnt be the case. The food was ok, buffet was cheap and not 5 star to say the least. The restaurants were better with very good service and more passable food. The biggest issue we has was with the fact that in our room was a notice that they are not responsible for any items in the room not in the lock box... at a 5 star there should be no reason to suspect items will go missing from our room. We have been to many all inclusives and hotels and had seen this before, but not in a 5-star. The lock box in the room was sketchy to say the least, no
cobination, just an old crappy key lock you slide into a slot. On our 5th day we returned to our room when the maid was just leaving, 2 minutes after entering the room there is a knock at the door. The maid was there with my girlfreind's sandals and some cash from our room, she handed it over and left.. didn't think too much of it and let it pass. The bad part comes the morning we go to leave. My girlfriend had a brand new iphone with her that was a christmas present, she never took it out of the room and kept it in the lock box when we were out. It was gone, we looked everywhere in the room but had to leave shortly after noticing it was missing. Upon paying my bill at check-out, I mentioned what had happened. The news was taken with little concern and was shrugged off with a "we will call you if we find it". Didn't take any information. Upon returnig home we e-mailed management and have recieved no response. 5 star? We have now been home 5 days and today I called 3 times, each time asking for a manager and each time being hung up on. I offered a reward for the $900 dollar phone to be returned but was treated like I was crazy for trying to find it. I would never have thought this would happen and it really makes me rethink bahia principe ( I have stayed in 4 other locations ). When I pay this much for an upscale safe enviroment, I don't want to have to wath my stuff like I'm in an ally in the slums... and when a customer has a concern or complaint, the least the staff could do is act like they care. The man who worked at baggage reception Victor was amazing and personable, he went above and beyond for us on many occasions. The only problem is he was the exception and he wasnt working when we has these issues.

• Stayed January 2013
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear "Dalain01"

While sending a warm greeting on behalf of everyone at the Grand Bahia Principe Coba, I would like to deeply and sincerely thank you for sharing with us the incident described.

In this regard, we want you to know that we keep strict control of all incidents reported and in this particular case, we can assure you that we have implemented all the security protocols established by the company. As we comment in our e-mail answer, it will be our pleasure to assist you in anyway possible.

Receive our warmest regards.

Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

I loved the resort though its far from airport, approx 1hr 15min bus shuttle.
Good things - Food, Drinks, Beaches, rooms, weather
Bad things - U need to take a shuttle to beach.. u can walk but it will take u 10min. Too much marketing.. they'll try convince u and they will make u buy their packages.
I would def highly recommend this resort to anyone. A must stay :)

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Paras779,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing the Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba for your very first time in Mexico.

We are happy to read that you have a good time here in the Riviera Maya during your visit last September. Your comments are really important; they help us to know better the needs and wishes of our guests.

We expect to have the opportunity to welcome you again

Kind Regards from the Mexican Caribbean.

Public Relations

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!