I don't have much to add to the many reviews of this resort. They're all pretty accurate. Instead, here are a few tips for people travelling with young kids (I travelled with a 4 year old Dec, 2012).
- Most Important: Email guest servies before you leave and have them book the restaurants for you in advance. I did this (the day before leaving) and was very, very happy about not waiting in line to make reservations during my stay.
- Bring a stroller: This will enable you to pack a bunch of toys, suntan lotion, etc. The walk to Coba beach is not that long... we generally walked to the beach rather than taking a shuttle.
- Stay in building 25, 26, or 27. Request a room not facing the main cart road. We stayed in building 26 and it was perfect. Away from the reception are but not too far. Close to the quiet pool (which is the smaller of the two pools at COBA).
- The quiet pool has a section that goes from super shallow (2 inches) to about 4.5 feet depth. This is a perfect area for a 4-5 year old to play and was very safe. It's perhaps the only pool within the 3 resorts with this type of "graduated depth" area.
- The kids club did not work very well for us as I found "aged 4" was a bit too young. Many of the kids appeared older but they seemed to have fun. I wouldn't count on the kids club if your child is 4/5 years old.
- The "couch" area within the room is perfect for a 4/5 year old child to sleep on at night. Just request extra bedding when you arrive and the housekeeper will make up the bed. Bring a nighlight in case your child gets afraid of the dark. If necessary, the main bed is large enough for a child to sleep.
- For breakfast, instead of going to the main reception, head over to the Akumal Premier buffett. It has the same food but is much quieter and less packed. Anyone can eat at this breakfast location.
- Bring lots of suncreen. It's expensive to buy it here so be prepared. The spray on stuff works best as it's quicker to reapply on children. Look for stuff you can pray on wet or dry.
Hope this helps.
Request building 25, 26, 27 non-facing the cart path.
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
January 4, 2013
Report response as inappropriate
First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba for your family holidays. We are really happy to read that you have a good time with us. We are pretty sure your review will be really helpful for our future guest. Thank you very much for taking part of your time for sharing with us and future travelers your tips.
It will be an honor to welcome you and your family soon again.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.