“Love this resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Coba

You added Grand Bahia Principe Coba to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - Cancun Km 250. Mexico, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Surrey
“Love this resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We just got back from our 4th trip to the Gran Bahia Principe Coba Golden. As usual staff was excellent and very friendly. This is one of the reasons we keep going back. Not only does the staff treat you like family but this is one resort that management does really acknowledge their customer loyalty. We have stayed at the Grand Marival in Puerto Vallarta at least 8 times. The Marival does acknowledge repeat clients with a glass of champange and a Dollarstore Fannypack and a t-shirt after 5 or more times. Where as the moment we arrived at the Coba Lobby we were treated as very special clients. Everynight there was something special left for us. The first night was a basket of fresh fruit and two T Shirts, the second night a beautiful boquet of flowers. We would be treated to special goodies left in our room for an evening snack. I want to send special thanks to Felix Guest Services Manager, Andres, Mauricio & Omar our servers in the Cozumel Restuarant, Jose our Bell Boy in Coba and of course our beautifuly housekeeper. This trip was strickly for some much needed R&R so we only did one side trip to Chichen Itza which included a 15 min stop to Valladolid (you could easily spend 2 hrs here) and a stop for a swim and lunch at a Cenote. Our guide was excellent. In our opion Chichen Itza is a trip best done on it's own or 1 other attractions. When you book a tour it can include multiple stops and does not give you any where near the time you need to experience this site. On the positive side we know we want to go back, but as a private tour. Downside to Chichen Itza, they have opened this site to what seems like every vendor in Mexico, so be prepared. Be sure to get out and explore the area away from the resort, there is so much to see and experience. Have already booked for March 2013

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear "DP7153",

Thank you very much for your excellent comments about the performances of our services, we will forward your nice comments to all our staff members, specially Felix, Andres, Mauricio, Omar and Jose. It will be a pleasure to welcome you back soon here at your home in the Riviera Maya.

The Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba Family wish you and your family an excellent 2013!

Public Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,624)
  • Polish first
Halifax, Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My family and my parents visited the Coba for a second time this year from December 20th to 27th. We used USA transfers from the airport and the transfer was timely and pleasant. Upon arrival at the hotel we learned that we had been upgraded to the premier section. This was our 3rd visit to a Bahia resort so we were pleased with the little upgrades that we received. We had champagne, fruit basket, robes and slippers placed in the room. The TV's are nice LCD's with much better reception in the premier section. The maid did a great job everyday with towel arrangements left on the bed.
The food was great once again. Lots of choices. The waiters were excellent at each meal. The Christmas Eve gala was beautiful with turkey, beef, chicken cordon blue, caviar, seafood and much much more. The resort really went beyond for Christmas Eve. The only complaint I have about any food at the resort is the cheese nacho sauce it is way too runny, they need to make it a little thicker.
The entertainment staff does a great job from dailyactivities to nightly shows. The outdoor dance show most evenings is awesome way to spend the evening dancing and socializing.
I just don't get the complaints about the timeshare staff. Say a firm no and don't engage then and they will not bother you. Lorenzo who is part of the privilege club staff has become a friend and is a great guy to chat with. We got to know him on our last visit and was surprised when he remembered us right away.
The coba section of the beach is the best area to go to. It is nice and sandy and lots of fish around to swim with. The trolley leaves constantly from the lobby and is only a short ride if you don't want to walk. There is a beach bar just on the left as you enter the beach so convienent to gets drinks all day.
The chair game is definately on at this resort as with most. If you want a good spot then you need to get up early to place a towel out. They really need to invest in some more loungers because there is definately room for them. We are early risers so never an issue for us but could see how it would be if you sleep in.
The resort was full during Christmas but did not feel full because the resort is so big. We never waited long for anything and really enjoyed our christmas there. The temperatures were great. Only 2 evenings out of the 7 did we need to wear a little sweater. Looking forward to another visit to the Coba.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear "jclarkhalifax",

It was a pleasure to welcome you and your family for the second time here in the Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba, thank you very much for your nice comments. We are happy to read that you have a wonderful Christmas. We will share your beautiful observations with all our departments.

We are looking forward to welcome you again here in your Mexican home. On behalf of all the members who are part of the Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba family, we want to wish a happy and prosperous new year!

Truly yours,

Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Our family of five just returned from a week at the Gran Bahia Principe Coba. The resort is beautiful. We enjoyed the clean rooms, beautiful scenery, the food, and the entertainment. Every single staff member went out of his or her way to make our first Christmas away from home a very memorable and positive experience. Migual Angel Kubanul gave us a wonderful service and warm welcome each time we saw him in the dining room. Our only complaint was the other guests. During the day time, all was well. However, once these people left the bars at night, things were very different. We chose villa 22 because we read on Tripadvisor that it was quiet and central. Unfortunately, it was also right beside the Casita (24-hour snack bar) where the drunk guests congregated when the bars closed. There was yelling and screaming every nights except one. Two of the nights included fights that went on for over an hour each time after 3 o'clock in the morning. This resort is top notch. It is unfortunate that the guests are not. We were told that 90% of the guests at the resort are Canadian. So are we. It is unfortunate that this is the impression some Canadians wish to make when traveling internationally.

Room Tip: Avoid the Casita
Dear Laura S,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your opinions and observations during your time with us here at the Rivera Maya. We are content that you enjoyed the services of Miguel Angel he will be delight to hear it.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back here soon. On behalf of all the members who are part of the Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba family, we want to wish a happy and prosperous new year!

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My one year old baby had a fever during our stay.

1. Hotel doesn't have any emergency care kit. The hotel front desk people were very cold, not willing to help. They said they dont have any emergency kit and they even dont have a thermometer. They suggested us to see the doctor in their resort shopping mall. Based on my travelling experience, this is the first resort that they even don't have a thermometer for customers to use.

2. The doctor gave us a hard sell of ambulance which turned out the ambulance was totally unnecessary.

This hotel doctor only wanted to sell his expensive service- taking $600 ambulance to the hospital. Actually, the fever was very curable with OTC drugs . And, the ambulance is not a real ambulance since it is permanently parked in the doctor's office back door.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear "aurora8888",

First of all thank you for your comments about your stay in our Hotel. The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important to maintain the quality and service in the Gran Bahia Principe Coba, Riviera Maya Resort Mexico.

One of the most important think for us is the safety and security of all our guests. That is why here at the resort we count with an external medical services the 24 hours. There is always one doctor and an ambulance well equipped of any emergency. We will check your comments and observations with the medical services to reinforce the service.

We will review your observations with the Front desk Manager, i hope that this unfortunate and isolate incident will not be the sole memory you took home with you. Our staff in general and our hotel are well known to be very accommodating and service oriented with our guests and this particular employee who did not exhibit such a polite behavior towards you, should not be the instrument to measure us as a whole.

Thank you for your time and comments, hoping to have a second opportunity in a near future.

Receive our warmest regards.

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

First time to the Coba. Have been to Palladium three times but wanted something different. Bad mistake. In every aspect, Gran Bahia complex, beach, food, service falls short.
Paid extra for the Coba Golden, not worth it. When we arrived at the separate check in lobby (very quaint) at noon they confirmed we had building 2 but to return at 3pm as the room needs prepping. When we returned at 3pm, they told that "something" happened and we needed to be moved to another building further away. We had asked for bottom floor as my wife is pregnant but they could provide. On second day, spoke to one of the supervisors and managed to be moved however, we had to ask for everything...I mean everything. Phone in the room was broken, extra bed sheets. Asked for 2 double but they could only find a room with 1 bed. Complementary drinks, slippers, gown..etc. included in the Golden price was not included.
Staff is hard working but I imagine due to management style or lack there of, the staff was not very knowledgeable and sometimes rude. eg. tried to return a beach towel at 6:30pm at the pool but the towel exchange kiosk was closed. Went to the Coba main lobby and asked for a towel card in exchange but the agent told me I had to return next morning. Had to call supervisor again, and the towel was taken and replaced with a card. Simple things like this got to me. Repeatedly, I heard from staff, "it's not my fault", "I can't do anything about it", "it's not my problem"!!??

No beach, it's man made. Took a taxi to Akumal Bay 10 minutes away. Better beach but as it is a public beach not very clean. Palladium isn't exceptional but better. Beaches by Tulum ruins are beautiful but taxi ride cost over $20 US each way. Food/buffet was probably the worst I experienced. With Golden, one of the perks was 4 a al carte reservations. As it was during Christmas, they made us reserve table at buffet as well!! Too many annoying things about this resort. If I didn't experience Palladium, I would say this place is fair but it's really difficult not to compare. I would recommend Palladium without any reservation. Avoid this place.

Dear Kooture,

We are truly sorry that we could not fulfill your expectations and provide you with a more personalize service. That certainly does not reflect the commitment and the quality that we have exhibited for many years, we have reviewed your comments with the different departments and introduce corrective actions or improvements where is necessary.

We expect to have the opportunity to welcome you again to be able to offer a more charming experience.

Yours faithfully

Montrea, Quebec
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

It took me a while to write this review because I wasn't quite sure what to write. Some parts where good and some not so good.

First, the good: The scenery is beautiful in and out of this resort. The resort itself is huge and offers lots of options, lots of booze and lots of freedom. The pools were all beautiful, clean and fun. We were there in late November so the weather was great and the pool wasn't too full (apparently this is low season). Spending the afternoons in the pool was a pleasure. Tons of food at all times and tons of booze.

Also, everyone that works at this resort is very nice - even if most of them did not understand English. A note, if you want drinks at the wet bar, then ask for the menu and point to what you want because communication is rough. On the other hand, the OJ and champagne in our room was a wonderful, wonderful touch.

The so-so: The food is everywhere and we had many a la carte restaurants. The food was okay, but not impressive. Like I said, there is alot of it, but, for some reason, the food was, for the most part, average. The buffet, in particular, was so-so. Also, if you are a fan of "diet" drinks, then you will be sorely disappointed - trust me "diet" does not taste the same in Mexico as it does in Canada or the US although I realize that this has more to do with the country than with the resort itself - still, if you are like me, this was a problem.

Also, the service is hit or miss. Some days, we would come into the room and it was made up by noon other times by 3:00 it still wasn't made. The same goes with stocking the fridge - some days it happened and others days we had to beg the front desk for help (also very hit and miss). I wish they would take less time making those towel animals and more time stocking the fridge and cleaning the room.

This resort is wayyyy too big, which I believe hurts the customer experience, I felt as though we got lost in all the activity and shuffle of buses and buses coming in and out of the place all the time.

Finally, I came back with bed bug bites all over my legs. I wasn't sure what I had in the beginning, but my doctor did confirm that I did, indeed, have bed bugs - lovely. I have stayed at dozens and dozens of hotels all through North America and NEVER had this problem before. Needless to say, this really affected my view of this resort.

All in all, it was okay, but I think - all things being equal, I am going to stick to New York City from now on.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Nitestar,

Thank you for making us participants of your general impression. Your feedback is welcome and valued.

Here in Grand Bahia Principe Coba, we have a strict cleansing program for all our mattress. for us is really important in order to make the appropriate research about each situation that you had experienced, please send us an email with all the details (as well as date of check in check out and room number) .

Sending you my kindest regards,

Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have just come back from a week at Gran Bahia Principe Coba and we all had a fantastic time. We stayed 19th dec until 26th dec. I have only been to 2 all-inclusives before this and was not impressed with either due to terrible food, service, and harrassment by staff, so was a bit dubious BUT this resort is just fabulous! The food was very good in all the restaurants, although it can be difficult to reserve the restaurants you want. We could not get into 2 of the restaurants we really wanted and also had to eat at 5.30pm one night and 10pm on another night as that was all that was available. The pools were fun, lots of activities, the entertainment staff do a good job. We went off site twice and visited Tulum and Playa De carmen, we got a collectivo to tulum and it was very good and quick, and we got a cab to Playa De carmen. The taxi driver was very friendly and waited almost 3 hours for us and then drove us back. We have 2 teenage daughters and so went to the Hacienda in the evenings, the atmosphere is fun with lots of music and dancing. The only disappointing thing on the whole trip was the nightclub....its very small and has a "foggy" atmosphere, and after being in there for an hour we decided none of us wanted to go back. The trolley service was excellent and there was always one available wherever you were. All the staff are very friendly, they work very hard. We would definately go back to this resort. If you want good food, good service and a safe and friendly environment then this resort is for you.

Room Tip: We had 2 rooms, one on the 2nd floor and one on 3rd floor and the 3rd floor room was alot quieter. W...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear "AB",

First of all we are really happy to read that you and your family have a great time here in the Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba.

We will share your comments with all our departments, thank you very much for sharing with us your experience here in Rivera Maya. It will be a pleasure for us to welcome you and your family again.

Best Regards,

Public Relations

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!