“Wish we could've stayed longer!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Coba

You added Grand Bahia Principe Coba to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - Cancun Km 250. Mexico, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Kelowna, Canada
“Wish we could've stayed longer!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Sorry, but this is going to be a fairly long review, but well worth reading if looking into going to this resort.
This was our second trip to Mexico. The first was to Cancun 17 years ago and we got married there and it was great. This vacation however was far beyond our expectations and I didn't want to leave!!! It was absolutely amazing!!!
Let me start by saying this resort is beautiful. Being able to use all the amenities of all three resorts was terrific. The grounds were immaculate. The staff is constantly cleaning the grounds and the flowers and scenery are pristine. To wake up in the morning and go on the balcony and listen to birds and see the sunrise over the palm trees was like a dream.
There is so much to do on the resort. The entertainment team is incredible. They always have activities for everyone. The water aerobics were a good workout and Luis Angel was a great instructor. I called him my slave driver. Samba lessons were great and zumba was a lot of fun. The snorkeling is good down at the Coba beach, but I was disappointed that people didn't follow the rules about going past the buoys to go swimming.There's lot a fish to see and they're swimming all around you even when your close to the shore. Please respect that this is a protected reef and if you swim into the protected area you are damaging the reef. Just have some respect for nature please. It would be a shame for this to be destroyed because of us! Jose at the Coba beach was always good to us and was always smiling. The animals on the resort are cute and sometimes funny. There's lots of iguanas, coatis, agoutis, geckos and many species of birds. The entertainment shows in the evening are good. There's a lot of variety and the shows are very entertaining. The Thursday show at the Hacienda Dona Isabel was fun and there's lots of shops around. I really liked the macho man part of the show and the Mayan part of the show was very interesting just to see their culture and tradition. I've read some reviews about not being close to the beach. There are always trolleys going by and really it only took us about 15 minutes to walk to the beach and that was even stopping to admire some of the scenery. Once you get the hang of the resort you can find many short cuts to where you want to go.
Now for the accommodations. We stayed in a junior suite in the Coba resort and we were surprised on how nice the room was. We had no problems with the bed. Yes the mattress is hard, but we never had any problems sleeping. It was some of the best nights sleep we ever had. Everything in the room was always clean and immaculate. Gotta give a shout out to Victor who cleaned our room and gave us a new kind of towel art every day. Victor thank you for the special birthday balloons, birthday cake towel art, fruit basket and of course the bottle of tequila for my birthday celebration. Everything was always stocked and the mini bar was always full with beer, pop and snacks. Thank you to Roger who filled the mini bar daily. We really appreciated the way you looked after us.
Now for the food. We found there was a great variety of selections on the buffets.The Coba buffet had the biggest selection though.You can go to all three resorts and also you can go to the premier buffet which is smaller but less busy. The snack bars have a good selection as well. There is a different theme at the buffets every night. The food overall was terrific. With the a la carte restaurants you do have to book early as I think they only book a certain amount of people in a night. . We had a reservation for 10:00pm at The Gourmet which was a little later than we would've liked, but it was well worth the wait. The food was first class and it was one of our best dinners. El Pescador and Mikado were also very nice. The tepanyaky table at the Mikado was very entertaining.
Okay now the service. I can't explain the appreciation I have for all the staff in the whole resort. I've worked in the hospitality industry for many years and am amazed at the way the staff takes pride in everything they do. You are to be highly commended for all that you do. I am ashamed in the way that some people that work in the hospitality industry have lowered their standard. I never once saw any of the staff on the resort texting or talking on their cell phone and neglecting the customers. We could learn a lesson from the staff in Mexico. Just the overall way they serve, clean and respect people is terrific. I understand visitors go down there to relax and to not have a care in the world, but during even just one meal take a good look around and see how professional they are when they change the table clothes and how many glasses they carry to when they set the tables. I saw one Mayan waitress carrying 13 glasses total. I was amazed and asked her how she was able to do that with such tiny hands. I also understand that gratuities are included in the package but I can't help but wonder how much goes to the staff. Talking with a local from the town of Tulum who helped us with a taxi to the beach, these people don't make much and every little bit counts. I was disgusted when I witnessed a table were the adults left a couple of American dollars on the table and after they left their teenage daughter took the gratuity and put it in her purse. My husband and I both witnessed this and were shocked. We were getting ready to leave, but there was no way I was going to leave the tip on the table after what she just did. I was going to give it to our waiter in front of the girl making sure that she knew we saw what she did, but I think she realized we saw her take the tip and she put the money back. I was very upset to see something like that. I understand people may feel since the tip is included in their package they don't need to tip, but like I asked you to do before, just take a little time to observe what these people do and think to yourself do you see and get the same kind of service where you live. I know we've noticed a decline in the service that we get over the past few years.
In closing all we can say is THANK YOU TO ALL THE STAFF for making this a trip to remember and we hope to be back real soon. MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear Nancy M,

Thank you very much for sharing with us you nice pictures and comments about your time with us here in the Riviera Maya. It is an honor for us that you have such a beautiful opinion about the performs of our services.

We will share your nice and excellent comments with all the members that conform the Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba family.

Kind Regards from the Mexican Caribbean ,

Public Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,623)
  • Polish first
Dorchester, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

For Christmas my husband and I take as many of our children as possible, on an annual trip. This year we went to Grand Bahia Principe Coba. The facilities and staff were wonderful. I could not have asked for better.
My children are all adults so we usually lounged around the adult pool. Fernando was the bartender there and he made sure we had everything we could ask for. He made us amazing drinks we had never heard of alcoholic and/or not. We usually sat at the same table at the buffet and our servers Emilia and Sandra took excellent care of us. They try to know their patrons even though we are only there for a week. I loved orange juice so every morning they made sure I received a large glass of orange juice as soon as I sat down and they treated everyone around us in the same fashion. It was amazing service.
The only criticism I have is the buffet food became monotonous. If you are a fan of average food you will be happy. I found it catered to the bland and my preference, being in Mexico, would have been to have more of the flavour of the area being served. However, I do understand why the resorts cater to the more average taste. My saviour in this area was Eduardo. Every morning he would put his heart and soul into making sure my omelet was perfect. Thank you Eduardo for making sure my day always started out on a full and positive note.
Having said all of the above I must admit this was a great resort. We loved it so much we became members of the Privilege Club, thank you to Ula and Jesus. We will be back; and soon. You were all amazing; but I wanted to make sure if anyone goes there in the future look for Fernando, Eduardo, Sandra and Emilia. They won’t disappoint.

Room Tip: Rooms around the pool are noisy during the day. There are always activities going on and it is a gr...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Dear Donna M,

Thank you very much for sharing your nice comments with us, the comments and observations of our guests are really important they help us to know better were we need to improve, we will forward your observations to the Food&Beverage Manager.

We are content to read that you enjoyed the services and kindness of our staff, specially Fernando, Eduardo, Sandra and Emilia, they will be happy for your excellent comments about their work.

We are looking forward to welcome you back here in your new Mexican Home.

Kind Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

I went to Bahia principe Coba on the 28th November to the 12th December 2012 with Thomas Cook and I had the most amazing time! Me and my boyfriend are in our early 20's and are from the UK.

Weather - awesome, we had no rain apart from the day we left! It was sunny every day and hot! Some days were particularly humid, but mostly very pleasant!

Hotel - the best part about the hotel is the fact that there is three of them and you can use all their facilities! Most days we went to a different pool or beach which was fantastic! Best beach is Coba beach in my opinion! Tulum beach is quite rocky so we didn't use that one as much!

Food - first few days we were abit unsure about the food from the buffet area! But I think it was more a case of we didn't know what we wanted so it was just a pile of random food, but we really enjoyed from then on! Would recommend the Mexican a la carte as well!

Thomas Cook - I have to say, I wasn't overly impressed. Flight there we had paid extra for leg room seats. I would actually say on a plus side there is plenty of leg room so no need! On the down side, on the way there they played the same films & programmes over and over again ( and there was on two films)! That irritated me because its an 11 hour flight! On the way home it was better!

Excursions - I did Xscaret, Xel Ha, Coba, Tulum, Chitchen itza & coco bongo! I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND XSCARET. I loved this excursion, a long day but so much fun! If you want to do Xel Ha, I would seriously recommend to the Xel Ha/Coba tour. You don't need a whole day at Xel Ha because its literally snorkelling and that's it! I didn't think it was that good really! Coba is AMAZING, you can climb to the top of one of the Mayan ruins which they are going to stop next year! Tulum was beautiful, it's a must! We did the coco bongo TC project tour that's worth a look too!

Tips - Definitely do the excursions if you are going for 2 weeks, there is plenty of time for relaxing round the pool as well! Also, we didn't find out till we got there that you have to pay 45 pounds EACH to leave the country, so make sure you have enough to cover that!

Overall - we had the nicest time, I would recommend to everyone! If you read moaning reviews I would personally not take much notice, it's fantastic! Don't be put off by the size of the resort they have constant shuttles that take you to the three hotels!

Enjoy

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Xstaceyx2012,

Thank you very much sharing with us your experience in the Riviera Maya it is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your time here in the Mexican Caribbean, we will forward your nice comments to all our departments. It will be an honor for us to welcome you back here in the Grand Bahía Príncipe Coba soon .

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed at GBPC this December. Everything was great besides the service in the room. It took is a while to get requested amount of towels and other little things in the room.
Food was good.
Room was good.
Overall was good.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Ekaterina Pal,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience during your time this December with us here in the Grand Bahía Príncpe Coba, we will communicate your comments to all our departments. It will be a pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Grand Bahia Principe Coba is the last hotel in the long line of properties in Mayan Riviera.
Overall I'm satisfied with my 1 week vacation there in December 2012. Here's the list of good and bad things about the hotel :

Good:
- Hotel is located very close to archaeological sites if Tulum and Coba. You can get their on your own pretty easily.
- It is probably the cheapest resort in the whole line up of hotels in Mayan riviera.
- It is new. Rooms are pretty big and well maintained.
- Staff is friendly and usually knows what they are doing.
- A la carte Restaurant Le Gourmet is really good.
- Delphinarium is within walking location, at the adjacent hotel' property.
- Lots of tropical fish swim right in the main swimming area.

So-so
- The hotel is not on the shore. You have to take a "bus" to get there ( ~ 5min ).
- The beach is artificial and protected by wave breakers.Good for small kids, but if want to swim you are out of luck.
- Food at the main buffet is ok, but not too exciting. Some foods there may cause upset stomach if you are not careful.
- Free internet in the lobby gets broken frequently.
- Sales people for their "premier Club" are annoying.
- Getting good reservation at the restaurants is very hard, but the restaurants are half-empty.

Bad
- Tours sold by the agents at the hotel are at least 35% more expensive that the same tours sold on the beach.
- Nightly show is pretty pathetic.
- Barmen do no pay attention to the color of the bracelet. My kids (~12 yo ) were given cocktails with alcohol more than once.
- It appears that the only difference between Mideteranian and Pescario restaurants is the name. The food appears to be the same and it is not much better than the main buffet.
- Getting beach towels replaced is pretty hard. There are only 2 places at the hotel, and staff is frequently absent.
-Watersports ( sailing, windsurfing, kiteserfing ) are very hard due to the artificial beach and high waves.
- washrooms in the lobby are poorly maintained.
- there is no way to buy local cell phone SIM card, or phone in the hotel.
- photographs in Delphinarum are grossly overpriced.
- waiters in the restaurants have no clue how to serve tea.

Advice to fellow travelers :
Do :
go to Cobo and Tulum. They are pretty amazing.
book private tours instead of going with the bus.
Book tickets to the Delphinarum online, 5 days in advance for weekend. Price that you will get makes local sale people faint.
Try to negotiate everything. It works.
Try to get into villas 22-25. They are the best.

Dont:
buy tours from you travel agent at the hotel.
go to the main pool, unless you are drunk young adult who wants to find others like yourself.
go past wave breaker bags on the beach without water socks. Rocks are very sharp there.

Room Tip: Villas 22-25 are good. South side of the villas is quieter ( the side that does not face the pool )
Dear "Alex P",

One of the most important thinks for Grand Bahía Príncipe Hotels & Resorts is the comments and suggestions of our guests, they are the best source for knowing in which area we need to improve.

We are really thank full for your observations and we will share them with all the departments involve. Expecting to have the opportunity to receive you again in one of our hotels to be able to offer you a more agreeable experience.

Richland, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

You may have noticed that each review on TripAdvisor gets a quick response from somebody from the resort. You may think that each customer gets the same personal attention while in the resort. We didn't feel that way. I sent two emails with room preferences and a la carte reservations: no confirmation, no answer to any of them. We had to go to customer service to book the restaurants: this is where we figured that nobody ever read my emails.

Upon arrival we were upgraded to Premier status. Except for checking in in a different building and getting a safe key for free (which was nice), I have no clue what else that meant. We got a room next to the quiet pool (in building 23). There was no crib in the room for our 2 year old, but they brought a playpen pretty fast (no complains here). The room was large and clean with a few exceptions. There was a very strong insecticide smell and the shower was somewhat moldy. We discovered a few very tiny ants (tiniest ants I've ever seen) around the extra (unused) bed and I killed a cockroach in the bathroom.

The food was pretty good: they were consistent in cooking the fish well (almost always good), less consistent with the chicken, while the beef was rarely well cooked. As mentioned by others, the best buffet (largest variety) was in Tulum, but we mostly ate in Coba (thanks Jose for always being friendly and attentive). The best a la carte was Mikado, followed by Le Gourmet (extremely slow service), then Mediterrano (we only had three for a 7 night stay).

Transportation around the resort(s) was easy, the carts are clearly marked and relatively frequent. Transportation of screaming drunk idiots at 2-3 am should be better regulated. Talking about noise, the 8-10 pm party next to the lobby made it difficult to put to bed our 2 year old. I am not blaming the activity (many people seemed to enjoy it a lot), I am just saying that people with very young kids should be housed in other buildings.

Our 2 year old enjoyed both the pool and the beach. Unfortunately, by the end of our trip she ended up in the ambulance, then in the emergency room with high fever and nobody seemed to know why. Only after returning home her pediatrician diagnosed her with hand, mouth, and foot disease. We still don't know how she got in contact with the virus, but we cannot believe that none of the doctors in Mexico considered it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Dear "mgnelu"

We would like to thank you for taking the time sharing your experience in our hotel. It is unfortunate that we did not accomplish your expectations regarding the Hotel and services not even before your arrival. We have read the emails for each guest that kindly contact us with questions about the hotel and all of them has been responded.
There are certain packages and Tour Operators that we receive in special and more personalized recepción such as the Club Premier, with some courtesies and extra amenities.
We have revied your comments regarding the room and the transportation with the Housekeeping Manager and the Transportation.
We truly hope that your daughter get better and recovered whe you receive this comunication.
I would like to ask you to send me an email so we can check any of your future requests to be sure that we receive the correct information and that you have our correct email.
Kindest regards

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Here is my very long review of our stay on 11/23/12 - 11/27/12 - I don’t normally write reviews, but suggest to those that are thinking of staying here to consider somewhere else. There are other good resorts and hotels, and great restaurants in town, so you may want to consider staying in a regular hotel, and eating out in Akumal or Tulum. Furthermore I did not find the beach at this place to be that great (which is important to us), and ended up traveling away from the resort to find good beaches. The beaches at this resort were packed with people, not much food or drink service which you get at other resorts. If you want a drink you need to take a long trek to get one. The pools were very nice, but the Jacuzzi unheated with freezing water.
Three of us stayed at Bahia Principe, Coba for 5 nights. The price was good but It’s way too big and because of this not relaxing for us. There are too many people, and everything is far. I felt like we were staying in Disneyland. If this is the kind of vacation you're looking for then you're in the right place. The staff other than the Public Relations department (who was very helpful) I found to be generally unprofessional and need an intense course in customer service. They were also extremely unorganized. This would be the Reservations Desk, the Restaurant staff, the Spa staff. I’ve stayed at fancy resorts & hotels (such as El Dorado Seaside Suites; Fairmont Mayakoba to name a few), as well as in eco huts on the beach in Tulum, and beautiful hotels such as Mayaland Hotel in Chichen Itza. I've travelled to Mexico many, many times and to different parts, but unfortunately this place was definitely the least favorite hotel I've stayed in.
CLEANLINESS - Great. Very pretty property and clean.
STAFF - which is a big part of one's hotel experience, was lacking in customer service. When we first arrived, there was nobody to help us with our bags and we carried them up the stairs ourselves. We were then told at the main desk that because we booked through Expedia we needed to check in at another building. They transported us by shuttle to the other building. About an hour later we finally made it to our room. The staff I dealt with at the Premier check in Reservations desk does not speak English very well (which would seem to be mandatory at a large resort dealing with international tourists) and when you make any requests they give you the feeling as if you are disturbing them. It seems like they are overworked (not my problem). The Public Relations desk in the Premier building says they are open 8am - 9pm? This person is never there and I was told by the Reservations Desk that sometimes she comes in by 1:00 pm, but they’re not really sure. This means you need to travel all the way to another building to book your restaurants, excursions, or get help with rental cars, phone calls, etc. This was incredibly time consuming. Rather than relaxing we spent a good deal of our time going from building to building. The Public Relations staff at the Coba building is incredibly helpful.
HOUSEKEEPING - Our toilet backed up (not a big deal at all, and not uncommon in Mexico) but it is annoying when you phone the reservations desk and they confirm that somebody will be there in 10 minutes. And you wait, wait and nobody comes. And you phone and phone. It took 3 phone calls, going up the management ladder and two visits by a plumber to fix. They should have told us in the first phone call that it would take 8 hours and we would not have waited for them – but would have spent time at the beach. One day the housekeeping forgot to put any towels in our room (again not the end of the world), but it took FIVE phone calls and 6 hours later to get some towels. This was a bit ridiculous. They do not provide towels at the pool, but rather provide them to you upon check in. Be careful not to forget them in your room while you’re at the beach because they will not give you new ones. You would need to travel back at least 30 – 60 minutes to fetch your towels.
FOOD - The food is OK, not great. The drinks are bad. Very watered down. Some people live to eat, and some eat to live. If you are a food snob you will not love the food here. The specialty restaurants were clean and pretty and the food eh. Our waiter however in the French restaurant did not speak English (nor French), so when we asked him what the food was he wasn’t even able to tell us. Again I should definitely know Spanish better, but you would think if a waiter is working in a huge resort that caters to tourists he would be able to at least tell you what you are eating.
SPA – WORST massage & service ever. I receive a massage almost weekly so am not inexperienced. We booked 2 expensive massages (expensive for Mexico) for my daughter $200 total massage & scrub promotion (1 hour & 15 minutes). They booked us at 6:00 pm. We arrived early and filled out the paperwork. They placed us together in a couples massage (not really what I had in mind) and started on time. I told my massage therapist that I want a gentle massage. The pressure was extremely hard (severe), so much so that I stopped her 6 times to stop pressing so hard. This suggested to me quickly that she was either really bad or lacked experience. The two massage therapists were whispering and giggling to each other throughout our massage. Did they think we couldn’t hear them? Every time my therapist would whisper she would stop massaging me. I was pretty annoyed half way though. They were then done with our “chocolate rub down” and asked us to go and shower. Rather than providing us with robes, they had us walk quickly from our therapy room, through the spa lobby, with a little towel wrapped around our nude bodies. How unprofessional is that? They then waited outside of our showers (which had no shampoo) brought us our clothes, and asked us if we were almost finished. They obviously wanted to go home for the day. We got out of the shower and they started cleaning the shower and the bathroom. They should have asked us if we wanted a cup of water, or tea (which is standard after a massage; to prevent dehydration). We got dressed within about 3 minutes, without drying our hair or anything and they woofed us out of there real quickly – no time to use the spa or anything. We finished paying the guy at the front, and were out of that spa by 7:00 pm (so we started our massage at 6:00 pm, took a shower and finished paying by 7:00 pm for a massage that was supposed to end in itself by 7:15). When I complained that I felt our massage was a bit short the guy at the spa said “well they take off the time for filling out the paper work.” REALLY? Never heard of that one before. SO in my opinion I would 100% tell you all not to get a massage at this place. There are plenty of places in Akumal or Tulum for half the price.
I know that resorts are very expensive at this time of year, but if you want a relaxing, stress free holiday I would suggest staying elsewhere – in a smaller place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear "Leyahd"

We are extremly sorry to read that the Hotel was not what you expected to have during your vacation.
The comments and suggestions of our guests are the most value feedback that we have in our Hotel.
We would kindly like to ask you to contact us and provide the specific details of your stay (room number, tour operator, etc) so we can track your experience and improve were is neccesary to avoid that any other guests could have the same experience.

Please keep the same subject we used in order to identify you straight away.

Sending you my kindest regards

Ilse Saladaña

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!