“This Property sold me on return visit” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Coba to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Aventuras Akumal, Crtra. Xetumal - Cancun, Km 249, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 21 hotels in Akumal
Halifax, Nova Scotia
“This Property sold me on return visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

This was my 8th all inclusive trip but first time to Mexico. The ride is long from the airport but you are on vacation so what is the hurry. The front desk was excellent at check in and any other time we had questions or problems. One day the power stopped working our room and in less then 5 minutes they were there to fix it. Another day I asked for more pillows and they were there 30 mins later. The maid was awesome. She would make creative towel art each day or put flower petals on the bed. Never had to ask for extra towels, if she was going to be cleaning our room later in the day she would come ask in the morning if we needed fresh towels. The food was the best I have had at all inclusive properties. So much variety. In the main buffet they have of the course the norms like omelette station and pasta stations but it was the other stuff they offered that made it great. In the mornings they had a fruit milkshakes such as banana, watermelon, mango etc. I loved the banana milkshake. They also had hot chocolate each morning. The bacon was good and the french toast and the pancakes and I could go on and on about breakfast. At lunch and supper they have an oriental corner with spring rolls, fried rice, noodles with veggies, all very yummy. They have a mexican corner but I did not really eat anything from that area. They always had sushi and I ate several pieces each meal. The desserts were awesome: almond cake, cheescake, chocolate cake, and so much more. We also ate at the Japanese restaurant which was very good. Ate at the mexican restaurant and Le Gourmet and all were very good and extremely fast service but I think that may be because we had really early reservations. I had emailed ahead of time for the reservations and people we talked to that had not could not get my for reservations and could only get like 10pm times. The room was very large and we had a 1st floor room so it was damp and musty if you did not keep the fan over the bed on high. Once you figure out the shuttle system then it is very easy to get around to the beach and other resorts. The privilege club peopple are not as bad as others have made it out to be. We went to a presentation and once we said no they shook our hands thanking us for our time and then we left. No pressure, no nastiness. I really liked this resort and will return if we can get a good deal like we did this time.

7,594 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,466)
  • Polish first
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

We really enjoyed this property. There were 13 of us travelling aged 11 - 50. There was something for all of us. The kids loved the pool - we stayed at the quiet pool most of the time. We were told when we booked that the beach was a 15 min walk away but only a 5 minute shuttle ride. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the beach was really only a 5 minute walk and we never really needed the shuttle. The food was good. We stuck to the buffet as we really didn't take the time to book the a la carte restaurants. We didn't want to be on any type of a schedule so the buffet worked for us. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The rooms were clean and well air conditioned. The only drawback was the closing of the pool bars - 6pm. We understand they are trying to get people out of the pool areas and into the other entertainment areas however they should have them open until at least 7pm. I would recommend this resort to anyone and definately would consider staying here again if we visit Mexico.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 22A which was central to the pools, restaurants and beach
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dieppe, New Brunswick, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

This was our very first trip out of Canada, so we have nothing to compare it with, but I'll do my best to be as candid as possible! First of all, we had a horrible experience at the airport with an employee posing as our sunquest rep trying to get us into a time share deal. We missed our bus and the sunquest rep (the real one) was quite rude to us since they had to turn around and get us. We arrived at the resort two hours later (after dropping off other vacationers at different resorts). Upon arrival, we weren't put in the room that we had previously requested. Our travel agent had put us on the 3rd floor and we were put in a ground floor room that was extremely musty with bugs and mosquitoes. Our bed spread was very dirty as well as the walls. There were also blood stains on the couch pillows. We requested a change of linens and all that was done was they removed the bed spread and we never got another one during the week even after many requests. Another problem was we didn't get a map of the grounds and were extremely confused. We asked for help with different employees, but unfortunately, a lot of them don't speak English that well and we trouble communicating. The other problem was every time we asked directions or help, every single employee would try to get us to go to the the time share meeting. They were very aggressive. The next morning, we went to orientation with the sunquest rep and were provided few details. (however this is sunquest's fault and not the resort's). After orientation, I spoke to the sunquest rep about being approached at the airport regarding timeshares and he was very apologetic about this and said that no tourist should ever be approached regarding this. To compensate for our troubles, he proceeded to bring us to the privilege area as he told us that the hotel would give us vouchers for excursions that we could later book through sunquest. He brought us over and spoke to the premier club rep and again, was very apologetic stating that they want our experience to be positive and should never have to endure such harrassment. Little did we know that they were setting us up for the Gran Bahia Principe presentation regarding time shares. Basically, the one person we thought we could trust (Sunquest rep) was affiliated with the premier club scam and we got caught in a two hour presentation that was extremely aggressive. We here harrassed to buy this time share deal and the more we said no, the more they would insist by bringing in different sales rep (5 total). Basically, we were promised vouchers to apologize for our troubles at the airport when all this time it was a setup to suck us in to this scam. Needless to say that we were extremely upset and disappointed as this was our very first trip abroad. We felt we couldn't trust anyone. It really wasn't a good feeling. What disappointed us the most was the fact that our sunquest rep was in on the scam as well. Now, back to the resort. Well, it's extremely large and confusing but you learn to get around after a couple of days. Let's just say the returning guests would get around just fine because of their experience. Food was ok, drinks were so-so. We had à la carte reservations booked in advance, but one we showed up, they didn't have our reservation even though we had our reference number. So, all in all, we were turned away from our first reservation. After that experience, having no sympathy from the front desk, we decided to the buffet every evening. Service is slow, I think from being understaffed. We liked the buffet at Tulum the best and Coba was ok too. As other reviewers stated, it's almost impossible to get a chair at the beach or the pool unless you're up at 6am. They don't have enough chairs for the amount of people using the facilities. We got our towels stolen and after reporting this, we got the round around by staff. Another frustrating event. Some staff are amazing, some are horrible. We tipped the maid every day by leaving 3$ per day and never got any towel arrangement like most people did. Unless you tip the mini bar guy, don't expect any service there as well. The beach is beautiful, but rocky in the water, so it can be tricky and a bit dangerous. There were random people at the beach trying to sell us everything from jewelry, to dolphin excursions, photos with birds, etc. They were quite persistent. Water aerobics at the beach are a must and very fun. Wifi is pretty good in the lobby area and we were able to skype with our kids every night. All in all, we were quite disappointed and believe me, we are not complainers. On the contrary, we are very easy easygoing people and never thought we'd be writing a negative review until all of this happened. I just wanted to be honest about our experience. Probably not the best place for first time travelers. I wish we felt differently about our experience, but I guess we were one of the unlucky travelers having gone through all of this. Tip to everyone: learn some Spanish before going because not everyone is fluent in English! Many people have great experiences here, but for us, it was definitely a big negative and we will not return to this resort, especially because of the aggressive time share people.

Room Tip: If you want to be closer to the beach, request a room at Akumal instead of Coba.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Just returned from a very enjoyable week at this hotel although we did have a few problems. Firstly, as mentioned by other travellers, the sunbed situation is a nightmare! All loungers by the pool are reserved by 7.30 with pool staff making no attempt to point out the numerous signs asking people not to do this. On the one day we did manage to get beds which we left for half an hour to grab a quick bite to eat when I returned someone had stolen my towel. I reported this straight away and the management tried to charge me 40$ for a replacement! Needless to say, I kicked up such a fuss that they did eventually give me another free of charge. If they hadn't I'd simply have slipped down at 7am next morning and pinched somebody else's!!
Buffet we found to be excellent with plenty of choice though meat not always of the best quality and they seemed incapable of making a hot cup of tea or coffee and vegetables here and in a la cartes were always rock hard and inedible. For our a la cartes we ate at Don Pablos which was ok but service was very poor; Arlequin was very similar to Don Pablos - both in menu and service; best was La Gran Tortuga although you really had to encourage them to be a bit more generous with their offerings.
We were in Villa 14 which was quite well placed with a nice view of the pool. Room was spotless and very comfortable although mini bar could have been a bit more generously stocked.
We took the Thomas Cook excursion to Coba and Tulum which we enjoyed and made use of the little local buses to go to Playa del Carmen and Akumal Bay. This is a great service with maximum price of 35 pesos.
All in all we had a wonderful time

Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

Let me start by saying we have stayed at the Gran Bahia Akumal before and we returned to these resorts because there is great value.

We were upgraded to Premier Club and I think that is because we are frequent Gran Bahia travellers. We received champagne flowers and t- shirts so nice bonus.

The resort is nice very clean and food is pretty good, We went twice to the Mikado Japanese very good food the best ala carte of all we think. The Gourmet was good however the Mediterranean was terrible. The Pescador was okay for me but not my husband - crab deep fried in the shells and all the body etc. - not tasty at all.

The biggest negative for us was Saturday when the towel police came along - a guy named Eduardo and he was crazy. Yelling at everyone if you get up take your towel - so basically if you go in the pool - go to the bathroom or run to eat he was grabbing your towels and belongings and heaving them in a large pile. If you lost your towels you had to go to the lobby and get new cards. I am not sure what he did with your belongings but he was one nasty dude and his level of customer service was very bad. We had words with him as well as others. I don't appreciate people that save chairs and never use them either but this guy was out of control. There were a lot of unhappy guests. I think he forgot that people are guests and pay to stay there.

Our other down side was the fact we booked with Expedia and when we arrived discovered we did not have a shuttle to the resort or back so had to take a taxi. When we tried to talk to our rep at the resort which was for Best Day the girl named Claudia was so rude we gave up. She talked over us and put her hand in my face so I would not talk. She should not be a tourist rep for any company.

We used the small buffet for breakfast Cozumel it is called and had a great guy named Saturno look after us and he was so nice.

The staff for the most part in the restaurants and the lounges could not do enough to help you. They were friendly and very accomodating, I feel the staff were over all very nice.

Our stay was from April 1st til April 11th so we had lots of time to enjoy.

The beach is not very good at all and we are big beach people. We ended up using the pool for the most part but again beware the towel police Eduardo not a nice guy -- Complain about him if you experience this situation!!!!

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

The hotel was well below our expectations. First, the air conditioning unit in the room adjacent to ours was so loud that we could not sleep without ear plugs. It also caused one of the walls to vibrate, so we felt like living in an airplane (with both engines running)…

The management promotes this hotel as a “green”, so they switched off air conditioning in all a la carte restaurants. Proving that you spend 1 ½ hours in Le Gourmet restaurant, that is not a nice experience.

Beach: they have a nice beach WITHOUT ACCESS TO THE SEA. The waves are huge, well higher than in Cancun. The sea shore is not protected by coral reef (like in other hotels), so they put artificial wave breakers (the majority were painted in ugly black color). Still, there is no swimming area, except for a short string of Akumal beach, where you have a 30 X 50 metres shallow area to swim and snorkel. That is where we stayed all the time.

We inquired three times about a free shuttle to Aktun Chen park (very close to the hotel), and were told that we need to take a cab (15 USD). Only after we called a cab and were ready to leave for the park, a bell-boy surprised us by giving a free voucher.

On the last day we called room service to place an order for early morning breakfast (we had to leave at 6.00AM, and were told that we need to call them an hour before the expected delivery time. What a great idea: to wake up at 4.00 AM to order a breakfast!

My advice: stay away from this hotel. If you want to get to get the real 5*, go to Grand Sirenis (great snorkeling, fresh juices, ice cream parlor, great service), or Barcelo Maya Beach (great snorkeling, nice property)

Room Tip: stay away from building 5
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Wembley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012 via mobile

This was my sixth visit to this resort and my third time staying in the coba section,
I have always enjoyed my stay but this time I feel that coba had really 'upped its game', there definately seemed to be more waiting staff at both the bars and restaurants and each and every one of them seemed happy in their work and pleased to be of assistance, the little trolley cars that run around the resort seemed to have increased in frequency and had an update too, and when walking around the resort I could see workmen painting in some of the rooms so there is obviously a redecoration programme going on.
My room in villa 6 was in excellent condition and everything was in full working order , powerfully shower, cold fridge , good aircon, as usual the grounds were spotless and perfectly manicured. I ate in several of the a la cartes and they were all very tasty and of good quality.
I particularly enjoyed breakfast at the Cozumel restaurant with the smiling faces of Gloria and Maria to start my day- Maria knew from day one how I took my coffee and made sure my cup was always replenished- excellent service from that young lady!
When I wanted to partake of something a little stronger Ofelia in the Daquiri's bar made sure my margarita was just right!
One thing to say , I noticed a lot of people struggling with their cases to the lobby on their departure day - why ?? , the bellboy is more than happy to collect your cases from your room when you are ready . Jose in the premier lobby told me he would be there at 11.45 to pick up my cases and 11.45 on the dot he was there to do just that!
Another thing to do is to email ahead of your arrival to book your a la cartes , a lot of people moan that they didn't get the day or sitting they wanted- e mail ahead and be flexible and you will get your a la carte bookings easily
All in all I had a wonderfully time- I find it hard to believe that I stayed at the same resort as some of the bad reviewers on here!- go to the coba with realistic expectations, do your homework before you go ( yes it is set back from the beach but I thoroughly enjoyed my 10 minute stroll through the beautiful grounds down to the beach each day and I NEVER had trouble finding a sunbed with palapa on the beach no matter what time of day I got there ), treat the staff with respect and I guarantee you will have a wonderfully time- I am already looking to book to go again next march.
Finally of course I have to mention the guest services manager Felix Schlokat who definately has a firm hand on the rudder -I have noticed a HUGE improvement in customer service ( and staff happiness) since he has been in charge . Thanks Felix for doing what you do - and doing it so well !

Stayed March 2012

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!