“6 times and just keeps getting better!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Coba

You added Grand Bahia Principe Coba to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - Cancun Km 250. Mexico, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Decatur, Indiana
“6 times and just keeps getting better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

We have stayed at Tulum, Akumal, and Coba. They are all three great resorts, but I think that Coba gets my vote for best, for it's beauty and size. Everything is kept perfect around there. The rooms are big and kept perfectly clean by housekeeping. All of the employees, know matter where you are, weather it be at the pool, beach, bar, buffet, a la cart restaurant, lobby, or grounds keeping, always greet you with a smile and go out of there way to help you.
As for Coba not having a beach, we have stayed at Tulum, and Akumal, and believe me, you will have your toes in the sand just as fast from Coba!
Now, I have read some complaints about the new dolphin pool that just opened at Tulum. I don't get it! What's the big deal? From what I see those dolphins have got it made! They have a great pool with several trainers who pamper and feed them all day long, and they're not out in the ocean with something else trying to eat them! Chill out people! I think its a great thing for the resort to offer, lots of smiles from kids and adults out there!
Our week was filled with wet weather and the threat of hurricane Rina, but that did not really distract from the good time. The staff was well prepared for everything, and kept us informed, fed, and entertained. Very professional!
Overall another great trip, and we are already planning stay number seven next November!

Thanks for another great vacation BHP Coba.
Mark & Renea

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
GuestServicePr, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Dear 'Mark and Renea',

Let me express you my appreciation for your nice wording. My team and I are getting spoiled due to your recognition. I will distribute your comment in order all employees and colleagues keep staying on the right track, doing thinks right and getting closer to perfection.

I am also very happy that you, besides many other guests, have been satisfied with our services and reaction on Hurricane Rina. Let me inform you that Safety always goes first and therefore we are paying high attention that our team is getting frequently trained and updated in order to be perfectly prepared for such situations.

I hope we will have the honor welcoming you back at our resort soon. In order to help you with any concerns or remarks please do not hesitate to contacting me three to four weeks prior your arrival.

Have a great stay back home,

Email: guestservicepremierbpcob@bahia-principe.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,615)
  • Polish first
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

we had an amazing holiday at gran bahia principe back in january 9 months down the line we still talk about how amazing the whole place is the staff the grounds the bars the food and oh yes the drinks are all 5* plus never stayed anywhere quite like it and cant wait to return already booked for february and counting the days
we took the bus into playa del carmen that was an adventure ha well worth a day out the beach their is amazing
the a la carte restaurants are fantastic without doubt the best all inclusive hotel food we have had anywhere
thanks to all staff who made our stay so memorable

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear 'kath f',

Thank you very much for the fact that you are still remembering us. We feel honored to receive such a compliment and I promise you we will keep up the good work.

We certainly will be looking forward to might seeing you this January once again.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

Just returned from a fabulous holiday at the Coba we went 11th-23rd Oct 11.We were in block 26 centre for everything, we had some lovely meals in the al a cart resturants and you could have named brands like smirnoff and jack daniels free usually you pay extra, apart from tipping (and you'll certainly want to so take plenty 1note and 5note dollars) you nave nothing to buy (unless you go on trips), what a fab holiday, staff just so helpful and always smiling especially Gamaliel at the snak bar La Casito, he never stopped smiling and was a very hard worker.The whole place is so clean couldn't fault a thing. We never got around the whole complex (we only left it once),it was so big,B B Q's along the beaches different places to eat and drink lovely walks and its like a nature trail the animals and reptiles you spot,hardly saw a mozzy, we sprayed with avon dry oil every night and only got bit once.certainly be going back.We did have stroms when we got there and as we were leaving so might try between Nov and May next time.

Room Tip: we had 32611 realy big bed big bathroom with jacussi.centre for everything, never put aircon on but...
Dear 'Bob and Brenda',

Herewith I would like to thank you for taking you valuable time to share with us your recent holiday experience.

Your recognition is highly appreciated and as Gamaliel is an employee who always gives his best and I personally will pass on your words to him . I am very happy to read that he went the extra mile to satisfy your needs. I would also like to inform you that we are very proud of having him in our team.

Anyway, we wish you all the best, and hope to seeing you here again soon.

Yours Sincerely,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011 via mobile

The resort was good however it was far from the beach. Food was great, service was great and the rooms were clean. However it was way to far from the beach.

• Stayed October 2011
Dear 'spearce0',

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor with us. I would like to thank you also for the fact that you have chosen our hotel as your holiday destination.

Please note that I am happy that you have been satisfied with our services and products. Regarding the location please note this is something we obviously won't be able to change. However please let me inform you that we have in 10 minute intervals,white trams leaving the main lobby Coba, passing all the villas and taking you directly down to the beach. Furthermore walking distance from our Coba resort to the beach is between 5 to 15 minutes only.

Nevertheless it would be a pleasure welcoming you here again and in case you should decide so please do not hesitate to contacting me beforehand three to four weeks prior your arrival.

For now have a great stay, and take care,

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

This was our second trip to Mexico but the first at this resort. Stayed at Coba 10th October 11 for 2 weeks, Flight from Bristol with Thompson airways OK Cancun airport was quite a long drawn out procedure as we were last off the plane and the wait to have your baggage go through the x-ray took 1 hour.
Booked private transfer with Jumbo Tours for £68, what an excellent service, 1 hour 20 mins transfer.
Book in procedure at the hotel was easy and straight forward, only problem was we booked a room on the upper floors, we got a ground floor room. We asked to be moved and 2 days later we had a top floor room. Excellent.
Rooms were typical of the Gran Bahia, clean and bright, Room service was very good and the mini bar and water replaced/topped up every day
Despite the 4 days of heavy rain!!!!!!!!!!! The staff at the hotel tried to keep guests entertained throughout the day.
Book the restaurants early to avoid disappointment, the Gourmet and Japanese were very good, the buffet was pretty good with a good selection although this did not change much over the 2 weeks stay. The service was very good with happy smiling staff.
You can eat in any of the 3 hotels within the resort if you like, although we found the snack bar in Coba a bit more user friendly than the other 2.
The beach is about a 15 min walk from Coba or a 5 min ride by the train that runs across the resort often.
Beach - white sand but some places are quite narrow and rocky leading into the sea, not too bad for snorkeling but no way compares to the Red Sea.
Did not watch to much of the animation team after the first show, 4 out of 10, although I did pop my head in to watch one of the kids shows at 20;00 hrs - very good.
Overall this place ticks most boxes for a relaxing time with good service and beautiful surroundings to enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: If possible try to get upper floor room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
GuestServicePr, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Dear 'K4CU',

Thank you very much for taking your time to create this tripadvisor comment in regard to your recent stay with us at our Gran Bahia Principe Coba hotel.

I am honored to notice that you have been fully satisfied with not only our products but services. Nevertheless, I have forwarded your comment about one of the shows on to our Animation Show team. Therefore they will be able to put more attention to detail.

Please do not hesitate to contacting us again, especially three to four weeks prior your next arrival. Have a great day and a safe stay back home,

Yours Sincerely,

Guest Service Premier
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

This is my second time to the Bahia complex within a year. The first time we stayed in Akumal and thought I would try Coba this time.

Coba has the best service by far and I think has the best night life/ entertainment and all around things to do. The only downside is that it is furthest from the beach (about a 5 minute golf cart ride or 15 minute walk). Coba also has the least packed buffet lines (Akumal has huge lines because all three resorts ate lunch there, since it is closest to the beach).

Although, we are Canadian we ventured across the boarder and booked with apple vacations. Turns out a 10 day through apple costs about the same as a 7 day through any Canadian travel company, so that is what we did. What annoys me is the fact that all American apple tourists get the deluxe lobby (with its own smaller but just as great buffet) as well as numerous special events like a lobster bbq, t-shirts, champagne and fruit basket etc. Not complaining because we received all of this but as a Canadian it annoys me that Canadian providers charge more for less.

Regardless, Coba also seems to have the best and least packed of all the pools if that is your thing. The Akumal pools are always super packed but have a swim up bar attached. We are beach people.

The beach was fantastic to us but if you mind giant sand bags far out to stop the waves from hitting shore than you will be disappointed as it is a little bit of an eyesore. We are not as picky...as long as it is warm, near plenty of bars, and clear water its perfect! We basically lived in the water for 10 days straight. There are also lots of palapa's for all and fresh towels are easy to come by!

My favorite thing about the multi complex is that it is virtually impossible to get bored! We went to a different resort each day, just to try something new! Yum fresh salsa and guacamole each day! Can't complain! Snack bar has your standard all inclusive junk food like pizza, fries and hot dogs..which we all end up at even though we vow to try and not eat it!

It is near the Tulum ruins (which btw are a 10 minute collectivo taxi ride away and cost about $15 to do on your own including entrance). Bring a towel and lots of water if you go to the ruins as you will definitely want to swim in the beautiful water there! Local transportation is also very safe. My friend and I went to playa del carmen by collectivo and didn't get back to the resort until 11:00 pm and as 2 girls in our 20's we felt very safe!

For those of you who would like a comparison between the three;
Coba-furthest away from the beach, most modern and new, best nightly entertainment, least crowded by the pools!
Akumal-closest to the beach, super packed, long lines for the buffets but convenient if you hate walking or having to grab a golf cart!
Tulum-close to the beach but the crappier beach as I like to refer to it lol. The Tulum strip of the beach is rocky so you will likely have to walk down to Akumal beach (3 minutes down the strip) or if you want beach peace and quiet in the palapa's this is the place for you. I honestly didn't find anything out of the ordinary about Tulum other than the fact that it has a nice cocktail bar area at night with live music!

All of the resorts meet up at night at the hacienda where they have shops, live music, a bar and the nightclub! Its the ugly red carnival golf cart that pics you up at the lobby of each resort and also where you can grab the collectivo!

Overall, my absolute favorite thing about this resort is amazing mojito's!

Have fun!

Room Tip: Recent legislative changes allow Mexicans to only convert a certain amount of American money a day...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Winnipeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

My parents and I went for the first time to this part of Mexico and we loved it.
The whole resort is magnificent, super clean and very lush. The beach is to die for, the sand is very soft and clean, the water is sparking, what more could a person ask for.
I can't say enough about the staff, so helpful and kind and always smiling, best service I have ever had. Will be coming back very soon.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
GuestServicePr, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Dear 'WinnipegSunlover',

Herewith I would like to express my appreciation for your feedback.

We appreciate that you took your time to inform us about your recent holiday with us. Please do not hesitate to contacting us again three to four weeks prior your next arrival in order to support you with any concerns or remarks you might have.

Take care and have a great day,

Email: guestservicepremierbpcob@bahia-principe.com

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!