“More than a few problems!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

You added Grand Bahia Principe Tulum to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta Chetumal - Cancun Km 250., Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Special Summer Sales
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Certificate of Excellence 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
“More than a few problems!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2005

We booked this resort through a travel agency. The agency said that they appreciate feedback, so we sent them the following comments about this resort:

1. The resort conducted chemical pesticide spraying near us and near eating areas just before and during our cocktails/meals. My wife gagged. The pesticide smell remained with with us throughout two of our dinners.
2. We detected a strong smell of sewage during two of our cocktail hours.
3. Our room had power outages multiple times per day. Eventually we gave up resetting the time on our alarm clock since we knew it would go out again soon. Also, the time on the TV was incorrect.
4. Our TV remote did not work with the TV upon arrival. We called for it to be corrected, and they said they would be there at 8:00 AM (Tues). At 8:30 AM I had to call again, and they finally came - I didn't want to wait for them much longer.
5. On a day of light rain, we all went into the pool. I asked for a volleyball (they have a volleyball net), and was told to come back tomorrow when the girl that has the key the locked cabinet where the volleyball was would be back.
6. The Sports Bar is closed and being repaired.
7. The resort warned of a $ 100 assessment if two towel cards are not returned. These cards are continually exchanged for towels. Other resorts don't even use these cards, based on disussions I had with guests at other resorts.
8. The resort threatened a fee assessment if the plastic wrist band was damaged or lost.
Guests at other resorts claimed they didn't even need a wrist band.
9. The resort threatened a $ 100 fee if the safe deposit box key was lost. Guests at other resorts told me they use an electronic combination, so no key is even needed and there are no fee threats.
10. The deadbolt on our door didn't work.
11. Two of our parties had refrigerators that didn't work.
12. The thatched roofs in many of the common areas leaked, causing water to accumulate on slippery marble floors. We watched one guest fall on her butt. Much of the staff was devoted to squeeging the floors (versus servicing guests).
13.The resort's exchange desk sold pesos at 9.5, while you could get 10.4 to the dollar at the airport. The resort's exchange desk would not buy pesos back from one of us at the end of the trip. This exchange rate they give is a rip-off -excessive fee.
14. The distances between our rooms and the common areas were excessive. Much of our time was spent traveling to/from the common areas.
15. We had to walk 1/4 mile to get a cup of coffee in the morning. Guests at other resorts received room service and/or had coffee in the room. We had neither. Coffee is important to us first thing in the morning.
16. The food was very disappointing. Although the presentation was excellent, the taste and the choices were not.
17. The electrical outlets in the rooms required adaptors to recharge our Ipod. One of our parties had to buy one of these in the lobby shop.
18. The shuttle ride to/from the airport was excessively long. We spent four hours of our vacation traveling in crowded vans that arrived 15-30 minutes late from the scheduled departure time. You would expect the resort would be spectacular if you endured such a long ride, however it was the exact opposite.
19. The shuttle driver on the ride from the airport had a sign "We don't earn much, tips are an important source of our income". The cup was primed with a suggestive ten dollar bill for this all-inclusive vacation.
20. Three of us were on the third floor, with no elevators available.
21. The towel racks in the bathroom were installed waist level in front of the sink, so you had to reach past them to the sink faucet, which was already a stretch. The bathtub towel racks were eight feet high - my wife couldn't reach the towels.
22. It rained a few days, and the resort didn't have umbrellas for most guests. We were lucky and got one to use, which we returned.
23. The resort maps had print that was difficult to read.
24. The resort entertainment materials were incorrect - they listed Broadway Shows for Tuesday night, and when we went to see Broadway shows, they had a Lipsynch show.
25. All of the English materials in the resort literature were poorly written.
26. At this all-inclusive, they continually tried to sell us a $ 16 Thursday Mexican Fiesta, a party that provided you with all you could eat and drink. What's that all about ?
27. The service trucks use the same walkways that pedestrians use. When we were walking, the truck drivers were rude, nearly hitting us, and making us wait while they passed.
28. The bathrooms have no fans, mirrors continually got fogged up.
29. There is no internet access on the premises. We had to go to the plaza to access the internet, which was down much of the time, and when it was up, you could access for a fee.
30. Only two channels in English on the TV.
31. Paper-thin walls between the room. One of our parties had a story to tell.
32. We watched a 2 inch cockroach walk through the main lobby.
33. The "quiet" pool featured blasting, obnoxious music during our pool swims. Loud, pounding, single-note bass parts, versus the beautiful Latin music they could have played.
Again, this was the quiet pool.
34. We left the one show we tried to watch- a disappointment.
35. The show we tried to watch started twenty minutes late - 10:20 PM - a little late for us.
36. The telephone system didn't have voice-mail, so we couldn't leave voicemessages for each other.
37. The resort had one bartender servicing an extremely large, crowded room one evening - long waits. Long waits for maids to come around in bar to take drink orders.
38. Rude bartender the last day - I finally went up to bar and placed order - he made the drinks and, instead of giving them to me at the bar, put them on the side of the bar where the bar maid gets drinks, and made a head motion for me to walk around to the other side of the bar to get them. Intentional rudeness.
39. Maid didn't give us toilet paper. I went to maid and asked for toilet paper. He said he didn't have any. They brought us one roll five hours later. Good thing I brought a roll from home. Guests at other hotels tell me when they call for toilet paper, they get it delivered in minutes.
40. The ribs at the Las Olas snack bar had very, very little meat on them - they were very tough, and obviously very cheap.
41. During a cookout at the pool, you had to wait in a long line, and when I finally got to the front, they were out of chicken, and made no effort to get anymore. They simply say "no pollo", and that was it. These folks are very used to saying "no" to guests.
43. During this cookout, the meat about to be cooked was covered with a plastic hood that had a space for the cook to reach in. I observed about 100 flies in one of them around the meat about to be cooked.
44. I saw dead insects in the yogurt at the Las Olas, and they did not have butter for your toast in the morning (Friday).
45. The Las Olas ran out of french fries, and told me ten minutes. When I came back in ten minutes, they told me ten minutes again.
46. Our mattress was soft,and sagged in toward the middle.
47. The hotel lost our group reservation for dinner on Thursday evening.
48. One of our guests' rooms leaked water when it rained.
49. One of our guests was waiting for service in the hotel gift shop. Five clerks were available to help him but all ignored him for about 20 minutes.
50. The resort had loud drilling (very loud) around the breakfast area on Friday. Also, weedwacking, lawnmowers around the dining areas during dining hours.
51. A crew working on the ceiling in the main lobby ran an electrical cord across the floor at the main lobby entrance - a hazard.
52. There always was a line for you to wait in for an omelette. One morning all of the condiment bowls were empty for your omelette.
53. The shopping center is part of the resort. The prices at the shopping center are unbelievably high. A leather belt for $ 48US. My wife needed a small bottle of Vicks 44 - the smallest bottle - $ 9 US.
54. No room service is available at this resort.
55. The value of what we got seems very poor. I spoke to a guest who stayed at another resort - he paid less for seven nights (versus our five), and he got room service too !
56. The drinks at this resort are too weak. Even when one of us ordered a double, we got a weak single shot.
57. There were two main sections to this resort - the other section (Akumul) had a much more beautiful lobby and main pool.

I could continue, but as you can conclude, this resort was a disappointment.

• Stayed October 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,572)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2005

Our visit was in September 2005
We stayed at the Bahia Principe - It is actually 3 resorts in one, Akumal, Tulum & Premier, I believe there may be 1 other but I don't know the name of it -or even if it is open yet. We had a bit of frustration getting checked into hotel. We were dropped off at Tulum -but they were booked so we were put on an cart and driven over to Akumal. Akumal was also booked and so we were shuttled to Premier. They did not explain to us the All-inclusive package very well - we just sort of figured it out on our own. But the hotel was very nice. The room was beautiful and very clean. Air conditioning controls are in every room so we were very comfortable. The beds are VERY firm - but from what I've read that is the norm. There was a bit of construction going on near our building - and the workers are at it pretty late. We brought along a white noise machine and were glad we did. You will do a lot of walking but the shuttles make it easier if you don't mind the wait. The beach is accessable through the Tulum and Akumal resorts and it is beautiful. The food was very good but tends to be very similar regardless of where you eat so after a few days it tends to lose some appeal. There is no Mexican food like you will think of from restaurants (in the USA). The water in the resort is purified and they give you large bottles of water in your room as well. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful - ALL OF THEM! Everywhere we went people would smile and say "Hola". There is some topless nudity at the beach but not at the resort pools. Many people warned us of Mosquitos - I attract them and did get bitten several times, my husband never got a single bite. They fog the resort every night and that seems to control them at least at Bahia Principe. The people we met that stayed at resorts closer to Playa Del Carmen/ Cancun said the Mosquitos were a nightmare.

We went on several excursions and really enjoyed them. The ruins at COBA are great if you dont want to be sitting in a bus (for 2 hours each way) to get to chichen-itza. You can climb to the top of the Tallest pyramid in that part of Mexico and see forever! We also went to Xcaret but returned to the hotel for lunch - big mistake!. XCARET is fabulous! and the night show is Spectacular, Amazing and Beautiful!

Glasgow Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2005

We stayed at the BPT from Sept 2nd through 17th, we had a really great vacation experience, the grounds, pool, beach areas were very well kept, they constantly tend to the grounds, walking around the resort was in itself an experience.

The dining was fantastic and the gourmet restaurants equate to any high quality restaurant anywhere, we particularly enjoyed the two seafood restaurants at the Akumal side, although the Tequila at the Tulum side was equally good, must mention Wilbert a waiter at breakfast, he was great always smiling, and he quickly remembered how we had our coffee!!

Not a great deal to deal at night although there is a nightly show, which is very good, and there is a band in the lobby bar, but if you are looking for a quiet holiday then you will not mind, we found the whole holiday very relaxing.

The rooms are big and very well decorated, fully air conditioned, which was a refuge in the very hot 12-300pm time

We do not tend to go back to places but we would definately consider it here, truly a great resort

VAncouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2005

When you first walk out off the bus your are struck by the awsome beauty of the place. The lobby is grand, and the grounds are beautiful.
There is alot of friendly staff, always people cleaning or working on the place. You can help yourself to freash fruit at the lobby, and there will be tropical drinks offered, or some bubbily pink drink.
The buffet is huge, but the food is too bland for my taste, and it does get repettitive, although they do have different themes everynight.
The restaurants are great, Don Pablos was divine, and so was the Mexican restaurant. Loved all the fine dining places.
THE bad part is, you can get sick from the food, I had ecoli poisoning. I had to go to the doctors and everything. Two days and $200 later I was fine, and them the rest of my family got sick.
Another bad part about the place is the other guests. Some of the Europeans, and Americans are SO RUDE! I wanted to slap some of them. For all you Canadians going, the Mexicans love us, I had nothing but warm greetings, and many thanks from the staff.
TIP! If you dont tip at the restaurants, they do forget about you. Remember these people make $5 a day, and the tips are what support them.
I had my wedding at the resort, at the newly built Gazebo. I was the first to have my wedding there, and honestly, i would do it all over again. All the photos we have from the place are so beautiful!

THe place is very clean, and As i hear, one of the better resorts in the area.
If you are going down there, they do sell Pedialight type drinks at the Haciendia, and MAke SURe the meats are all cooked, and stay away from the lettus (it has no taste anyway, and the texture is just like the grass that grows on the resort)

toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2005

This review covers the entire trip: which includes the flight, the resort, and the excursions which we attended.

SKYSERVICE - Premium (Toronto to Cancun).

There is nothing special about the premium service (an extra $130, if I remember correctly).

Since we had a premium service ticket, we were told on check-in that we did not have to line-up with the rest of the passengers. True, we had our own separate line, but no one was there to serve us. They practically finished serving the regular-paying passengers before they served us--similar to waiting at the end of the line.

The premium paying passengers are not segregated in the front of the plane nor do they have a wider seat. You are placed in the same narrow seats as the regular paying passengers. You receive a book of coupons that allow you to get a free drink, free head phones and some other things that are, in my opinion, are totally useless.

RIDE FROM CANCUN AIRPORT TO THE RESORT

Kudos to Sunquest Travel on this part of the trip. The bus was comfortable. The bus crew was polite and helpful.

RESORT- BAHIA PRINCIPE TULUM

We were so glad that we chose this resort.
When you walk into the lobby, you immediately feel that this is a huge resort. There are several sets of couches in the lobby that make you feel that you are home and you just want to hang out. While waiting in line to check-in, you are served with tropical drinks- a very nice touch (the only other place I have seen this done is at the Four Season’s in Maui) because you hardly notice you are waiting in line. Customer service at the front desk was very helpful and courteous.

Room

There are about 50 villas – 3 storey buildings about 10 rooms per floor- that make up this resort. We stayed in an area called the Club Hacienda. This is considered an exclusive section within the resort. It has its own stretch of beach that only Club Hacienda guests are allowed to use. But I did not really see what’s exclusive about this area. The beach is not as nice as the main beach (more on this later). It’s secluded but not much activity there.

Our room was located in the second floor (villa 36). We did not have a good view but we were close to the one of the restaurants, Tequila – a restaurant where you have to make reservations if you want to have dinner there (more on the food later).

The room was clean. The AC worked. The TV was a good size and the remote control worked. There is no internet connection but there is a public internet café (more on this later). There is a ceiling fan that worked for the entire week. We had this on all week, non-stop, I was expecting it to break, but surprisingly it did not. The bed was comfortable and the pillows are fluffy.

There was no ventilation fan in the bathroom!! I don’t know if this is true of all rooms, but ours certainly did not have one. There was no window that you can open to ventilate the room. If you are ever in this situation, make sure you are the first one to use the washroom in the morning! I did 

The water is potable- so the sign says in the washroom. I think it means it’s safe to drink. Well, I did not drink it, but I used it to brush my teeth. The water from the tap was odourless and colourless so I figured it was good enough for brushing. You get FREE bottled CRYSTAL brand water- as much as you want. We just left a note (accompanied with a small tip) to our maid and we get all the bottled water we want. The fridge is replenished for free, every 2 days. You just tell them what you want, from a selection that they have and they will fill the fridge to order. The selections are: beer, pop, juice, and chips.

The lawns are well manicured and the grass is totally green. I noticed that everyday, early in the morning (6 and 7am), that there is this horrendous stench outside. But it disappears during the day. I discovered that the water from the sprinkler was the source of the smell. The sprinklers are only turned-on in the morning which explains why it only stinks during that time. I would guess that the water used to sprinkle the grass contains sewage effluent. If you are not an early riser, then don’t’ worry about it. But if you are and you like to run in the morning, try to stay away from the sprinkler.

You can access the internet in an internet café located at Hacienda Dona Isabella’s. This is a part of the resort that has restaurants and souvenir shops. Internet access will cost you 4 Pesos a minute.

Main Buffet Restaurant – Yucatan (I think)

There was a wide selection of food.
There are at least 2 types of soup for lunch and dinner. There is always fish, chicken, beef and pork cooked in various ways. I stuck to what I normally eat -chicken and fish.
There are lots of fruits (yes the fruits are safe to eat because it’s wash in purified water) and fresh fruit juices. Good anti-pasto selection.

My favorite part is breakfast – I ordered customized omelet with as many eggs as you want (at least 3 for me) with as many ingredients you wish. This goes well with fried plantain (with a sprinkling of sugar).

Tequila

This restaurant serves mostly traditional Mexican food during lunch and dinner. Reservation is required for dinner. This is a semi-buffet restaurant. Appetizers and dessert are buffet, but the main course is served. Appetizers are Mexican style. I stuck to mixed cevice – octopus, squid, and shrimp with tomatoes, garlic, onions – very tasty. Again, I stuck with the fish for the main course, but they had beef, chicken, or pork.
The main course is not served in big portion. So if you are a big eater you might want to go to the Yucatan restaurant after. Or perhaps you can ask for seconds – I did not try this route.

Don Pablo

This is the fanciest of all the restaurants in this resort. This is a full sit-down restaurant – you are served from the appetizer to the dessert. I did not think the food was any better than at Tequila. The selection was varied but the cooking style was non-Mexican.
They use fancy pewter plates and the servers are dressed formally. Guests are expected to follow the dress code – pants and shirt for the gentlemen and no bathing suit for the ladies—(personally, I think they should allow bathing suit for the ladies). The portions were quite small, so if you are a big eater just visit the Yucatan after; the walk is not that far this time, it’s next door.

There is a 24-hour snack bar. But from what I saw, the selection of food in the late hours 12am- 5am is limited to coffee and tea.

The beach/Pool

The beach is nice white sand. It is kept amazingly clean. There are of workers who work early in the morning picking up seaweed and garbage left on the beach.
The resort has about 3 km of beach. The main beach has a man-made wave-barrier about 50 yards out. It’s about 40 yards wide. The barrier is made of individual concrete blocks the size of a large SUV covered in some type of plastic tarp. The tarp surface is smooth enough that it is safe to climb and rough enough so you don’t slip. This barrier is great to use as a diving-board. It keeps the water calm allowing you to tread the water without worrying about the big waves knocking you down. Moreover, the barrier acts as marine life harbor so you see lots of fish.

The beach has numerous thatch hut cabanas; you can go to there at 10 am and still find a spot.

There are free beach toys that you can use: kayak, boogie boards, 2-seater sail boats/catamaran.

The main pool is separated into three sections (actually 3 separate pools close to each other): the shallow part is where the little kids hangout; this is also the same section where scuba-diving training is given. The other 2 sections are where the sports activities are played. In the centre of the 3 pools is the bar.

If you want clean beach towels everyday, go early to pick them up. When we were there, they seemed to have run out by around10 am.

EXCURSIONS

We went to 3 excursions: Tulum Ruins, Xel-Ha, and Catamaran.

Tulum is a relatively small Mayan ruin. Behind this ruin is one of the nicest beach I have ever-seen so bring your bathing suit.

Xel-Ha is a huge lagoon – a natural water wonderland. If you like snorkeling this is the place to be. You can ride the floatation tube (individually or in tandem) down the river which will lead you to the lagoon. The river flow is leisurely so you have the chance to admire the surrounding as you float along – very cool.

There are several restaurants and shopping stores at Xel-Ha. If you buy an all inclusive ticket, your meal is covered for the entire day that you are there. In this all-inclusive package you also get a free-locker and free-snorkeling gears- snorkel, fins, and floatation jacket; you get to keep the snorkel as a souvenir.

The catamaran excursion, operated by Sea Passion, took us through Can-Cun and Islas Mujeras. The catamaran is huge and the crew is fabulous. The crew takes you snorkeling in groups. Snorkeling off the beaches of Cancun was the least of my favourite activity on this excursion. There was not much to see. We stopped at a small resort where they served us lunch; the grilled fish was amazing. But there was too much fly in this area that we ate our meal quickly We then headed for a 45 minute stop-over on Islas Mujeres; if you like local crafts and tourist souvenirs this is the place to be, otherwise, stay on the boat.

• Stayed August 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2005

My husband and I returned last week from our stay at the Bahia Principe Tulum. We were there from September 23-September 27 for our 1-year anniversary. I want to start with saying this was the most relaxing vacation we have ever been on and the resort will take you breath away! I read many reviews before choosing the Bahia, so I just want to write a review for others thinking of coming here.

Check-in
This went extremly smooth and I have no complaints whatsoever. They even gave us some sort of drink when we arrived....so delicious. About a week before we left, I emailed the reservations department and requested about 6 different rooms. They emailed me back the next day, giving us the bldg we requested and gave us oceanfront! (We only paid for a standard). It was a perfect way to start out the trip!

Room
We had no problems with the room at all, we got a king bed, sure it was not as comfortable as my pillow-top bed at home, but we were so tired by the end of the day that it did not matter one bit. We had a balcony that overlooked the quiet pool and the ocean, this was the best room in my opinion because the view was beautiful.....like a postcard! If you can, stay in Bldg 12, on the top floor....you will not be disappointed. This is a great location to everything.

Pools
The pools were great, however we did stay by the ocean most of the time. When we were by the pools, the water was a perfect temp and it was clean. There was always something fun going on in the pool areas.

Ocean
This is where we spent 99% of our time. The water was amazing, it was so clear! Since hurricane Rita was in the Gulf, there water had some waves in it, but it was not a big deal in any way. My husband took some bananas out into the ocean to feed the fish and hundreds of fish came around him, it was so great because the water was so clear, the fish were so fun to look at. I took my book and sat under a paplya (not sure on spelling). There was a constatnt breeze, so I was never too hot.

Towels
I read some other review that mentioned it was hard to find a spot if you did not come early in the morning. Well, I am sure it is because of the time of year we were there, but we came down to the beach around 10am and there were many, many chairs to choose from along with many differnt papalya too. So we were able to get great places on the beach every day we were there.

The food was okay, nothing special, but we are both picky eater. Saying that, we still never went hungry. The breakfast was the best! Since the buffets are open air, we sat by the edge and we were not too hot at all. The waiters/waitresses were great too. People were always trying to help you if you needed it and they were so friendly. Also, when I waiter/waitress came up to your table, they would speak in different langues to say hello, so you just answered and then they knew which language to speak. We never had a problem at all with us speaking English, and I do not know any Spanish.

Extras
It was so nice, right after we checked in, someone from the hotel came and dropped off a fruit basket and set up the table in our room. It was a nice touch! We did tip our maid daily, but the people are so nice, they would still give the same service weither you tipped or not. Our tv did get a good number of channels. So, being sports fans, we were able to watch Monday Night Football, it was great. We both drank the water at dinner and lunch and never got sick once. Also, there are two sides to the Bahia, the Tulum side and the Akamul side. They are virtually the same, so go with whatever is cheaper and you will be the best off. You can use the pools, beach, buffets at both, so you might as well pay for the one that is cheaper!

Conclusion
We are planning to go back to the Riviera Maya many, many more times. This was our first all-inclusive and it was the BEST way to travel. We will definitly return to the Bahia Principe Tulum. If anyone has any questions, feel free to email me at amy_hoerig@yahoo.com.

• Stayed September 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2005

Hi,

This will be quick.

Me and my wife went for a week. Great staff and nice rooms. The beach was (-). Very rocky on the Tulum side. A lot of Italians who think they own the place, and bc of the amount of them, they pretty much do.

Met a cool Welsh couple tho. Big up Marty!

Later,
D

Oh yeah, got caught in hurricane Emily. That was the scariest night of my life. I thought we were goners.

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Tulum? Share your experiences!