Me (22) and my girlfriend (20) have never been to Mexico before, but we had heard brilliant things and we decided to go for it. The choice of hotel basically went off review's on here and the brochure photo's as we were clueless at where to go! We definitely chose the right hotel, which we paid £1100 each for 14days from 17th October - 31st October.
I'll mention the pro's and con's first then go into detail;
- Buffet has plenty of choice for everyone which we couldnt complain about (especially breakfast)
- A La Carte restaurants were fantastic, much better than expected.
- Beautiful beach and pool area's
- Staff wonderful, friendly and will do anything for you
- Room perfect size for couple's. (31 Tulum)
- Great transport between resorts and room's.
- Clean lobby's and area's
- Harmless wildlife around the resort which is nice to see. (some may disagree)
CON's (slightly picky!)
- Bar service is limited, always have to queue.
- Understaffed in all Buffet dining room's, always having to flag waiter's down for drinks. (mainly Breakfast and Lunch)
- Limited entertainment, especially in Tulum. Coba and Akumel were ok though.
- Room air-con goes warm after 3 days, making you ring reception a few times.
- Tulum events moved to Hacienda Mall Nightclub, which was cramped and warm.
Best Restaurant's we went to, in order of rating;
1. International Gourment (Akumel)
- such fantastic food! well presented aswell. was very surprised at how posh the restaurant was and the quality of the food. Service wasn't brilliant but we went at 9pm where the waiter was probably ready for finishing, so we let him off!
2. Italian (Dolce Vita - Akumel)
- me and my girlfriend love Italian food, and we weren't let down at this restaurant. I suppose most Italian food's are similiar but the atmosphere at this restaurant was brilliant and the service was fantastic. You even get a 'Flaming Coffee' show after your desert, by the waiter!
3. Brazilian (Tulum) - 2x
- my girlfriend may disagree, but most meat lover's will love this restaurant. If you haven't been to a Brazilian before, you help yourself to appetiser's then when you sit down the waiter come's over with skewer's of different meat's you can choose from. If you are stuffed, just flip your green card to red and they will stop. We went twice whilst staying here, the 1st time was sublime because we went earlier at 6pm, but the 2nd time was at 7.30 when busy and the quality was a little off. But regardless, it was fantastic!
4. Japanese (Coba)
- you can choose either the Show or Normal booking. we chose the Show as we have been to a similiar restaurant in Manchester before and enjoyed it. The chef basically cooks your food in front of you and 6 other's whilst doing some tricks. The food was very good and the service/chef were brilliant, but the menu was minimal and they didn't do duck which is really a main Japanese dish, also we felt rushed as another booking were waiting to come in after us.
5. Mexican (Tulum)
- now me and my girlfriend aren't lovers of Mexican food (even though we went to Mexico!) so we booked this on a whim. The restaurant is a bit of a trek if you are staying in Coba or Akumel as it is located right at the other side of Tulum, but it is a very nice setting and atmosphere. The food me and my girlfriend got was average but presented well. The waiter also takes photo's of you in a sombrero which is a nice touch at the end.
Our only main concern was the Bar Service. Throughout the day and night, they hardly had any bar staff working, meaning you had to queue (sometimes for around 15/20minutes). This may sound picky, but when you have to wait everytime it starts to grind the gears a little bit! At night the Tulum bar only has 3 Barmen working, when the Bar has around 400 people during peak hours. Also Waiting staff were short during breakfast and lunch Buffet, which was a little annoying.
Other minor con's weren't really worth bothering about, just being picky!
Overall, the holiday was brilliant and well worth the money we paid. The weather was apparently good for October, with only 3 1/2 days of rain! The only downside is that you dont have much to do when it rains, other than drink! The other day's it was 30c which was fantastic.
****dont book onto the Hotel's Dolphin pool!!! its a waste of money as you can goto Dolphinaris 20 minutes away which is much better. you get a Dolphin/Trainer to every 4 people. at the Hotel you get 3 Dolphins to a batch of 16 of you which is rubbish!****
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 pools (including 2 with Jacuzzi for relaxation) 1 Jacuzzi Large sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity and scuba diving centre Entertainment amphitheatres WiFi access in the lobby (1 h per day free of charge) and in rooms additional charge) 1 buffet restaurant 3 a la carte restaurants 6 Bars Snack-Bar Wedding gazebo Dolphinarium (additional charge) Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco. Rooms 978 rooms including 4 types: Superior, Superior Junior Suite, Superior Club Hacienda and Club Hacienda Junior Suite. The Junior Suites are larger than the Superior rooms. Room facilities: King size bed (Superior Junior Suites) or 2 full size beds Sitting area (Superior Junior Suites) Fully-equipped bathroom: shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Hydromassage bath tub (Superior Junior Suites) Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar (included) Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Hacienda rooms (See page 18, Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with activities for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Despegar.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Tulum Bahia Principe
- Gran Bahia Tulum
- Gran Bahia Principe Tulum Akumal
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel
- Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Gran Principe Tulum
- Gran Bahia Principe Mayan Riviera Resort
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Grand Bahia Principe Tulum Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico