“Loved the beach, the relaxation and the food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Tulum to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Aventuras Akumal. Crtra. Chetumal - Cancun, Km. 251, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 20 hotels in Akumal
“Loved the beach, the relaxation and the food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I booked first and then my sister and her husband decided to join us. When I contacted the hotel they made sure we were in the same building. We were blessed with a lovely relaxing time. All the staff were friendly and helpful. We rode bikes, walked along the beautiful white sand beach, snorkeled along the edge of the reef at Coba beach, and played in the waves at Tulum beach, all without leaving the resort. My favorite meal was the special at the seafood restaurant. We also especially enjoyed the meal at the Japanese restaurant. The chef put on a great show and it was fun to meet the other diners. Drinks were great, especially the Mojitos. When I saw the European guests enjoying wine I also ordered it and was delighted. We went on an excursion to Akumal bay and the concierge called us a taxi and let us know how much we should pay. We had a great time snorkeling with turtles.
I would recommend this resort to anyone and hope to go again

• Stayed February 2013
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor traveler:

We appreciate that you have allowed us the honor of serving you.

Thank you for taking the time to specify the highlights of your trip: nice property, delicious food, nice drinks; friendly and efficient staff and relaxing beach.

We will be very happy to welcome you back here at your second home at the Mexican Caribbean.

Warmest Regards,

6,242 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,110)
  • Polish first
Saint Thomas, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed with another couple Feb 19-26/13. It was an amazing experience on many levels.

Resort/Grounds: Overall it was beautiful, as were Akumal and Coba. I have to say Coba is just a tad nicer, but we were 100% satisfied with Tulum. The grounds were very well maintained with many trees, flowers, and green grass. The walkways were all well kept. The resort itself, including the lobby/buffets/etc. we very classy and made the resort feel 5 star.

Beach: Although the ocean was very rough, the beach was beautiful. The sand bags did a good job of calming closer waters and added fun for the boys. Many spots for shade and many lounge chairs. The water was clean, clear, and warm. The beach at akumal was also nice, but smaller.

Pools: We spent the majority of our day at the main pool with the pool bar. The service was excellent, and the bar tender made delicious, always satisfying drinks. The pool was chillly our first day, but was consistently warm throughout the rest of the week. The pool at coba seemed to have more happening, and we thoroughly enjoyed the craziest pool party of our lives on the Saturday; with balloons, water balloons, and +++ tequlia and beerz!

Bars: We tried quite a few of the bars located around the resort, from the pool bar at tulum, the pool bar at coba, all of the lobby bars, and the shows. Our favorite bar was at akumal, and we thank FREDDY for providing amazing service, as he was very friendly, has a great sense of humor, and was entertaining to our roudy group. The drinks were never disappointing! The manager of the bars (I cannot remember his name) was also very kind on the Saturday at the pool party, and provided good entertainment to our friends. His coworkers were also awesome; I believe Fernando was one of their names???

Food: We were never disappointed. Much to choose from at the buffet - tulum with the greatest selection. I loved the sushi and guacamole the most! And the soft serve ice cream. We consistently went at 730, 1230/1, and 630/7 and had no trouble with service or getting a table. The only time it was a little slow and we had a hard time finding a table was closer to 9. This is to be expected at peak times. The food was never cold, always fresh. The a la cartes were all very tastey, and some of the best food I have actually ever had! My only recommendation would be to book a la cartes early... we didn't have much selection by the time we booked ours, but still for 4.

Rooms: Comfy beds, good tv selection for late at night, and very clean and well kept. The rooms were a pleasant surprise after reading some reviews. The only issue we had was that the air conditioner leaked a little bit onto the floor as you walked in the door, but the cleaning staff had this mopped up in no time, and it really wasn't a bother. We aren't complainers. The bathroom was gorgeous tile. Our room (10th villa) had an unexpected ocean view through the trees, which was very nice! We stayed on the 2nd floor and had no critter problems. The odd ant which is to be expected even the luxury of our own home in Canada!

Thank you Grand Bahia Principe Tulum - will recommend to friends, family, and coworkers, and to be back one day! Looking forward to Bahias in other countries as well.

Emily

Room Tip: I would suggest to anyone that would like the most convenient location to book a villa between villa...
Dear Emili:

First of all thank you for trusting the Grand Bahia Principe Tulum. We really appreciate you taking the time to post some valuable comments about your stay with us and congratulations to the personal, and I will pass on the comments to all the persons mentioned in your mail and all the departments involved. The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important to maintain the quality and the service in the Grand Bahia Principe Riviera Maya Resort and there is no better quality control than your review.

We thank you for recommending our hotel also to your family, coworkers and friends, the best publicity is the one that people make at home after their holidays. We will be happy to receive you again for another visit to our hotel.

Warmest regards
Wentzville, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I recently went back to Gran Bahia, this time we stayed at Tulum. While initially we were upset about our room (air conditioning, refrigerator and fan did not work ) they made it right and moved us to a very nice room. The rest of our stay was wonderful. The staff (as usual) are very friendly and everyone always asked if they could do something for us. We ate at Don Pablo and had a wonderful meal on our anniversery. La Gran Tortuga also had great food. Weather was great and very few bugs! We liked it so much we will be going back soon. A special shout out to Eduardo and Leonel!

Room Tip: Choose an upper level room and stay at either Tulum if you are a couple and prefer fewer children
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Viajero de Gran Bahia Principe Resort:

On behalf Grand Bahia Principe Resort, I would like to thank you for visiting a “Principe” again. Your nice notes have been shared with our staff, thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back for another stay to our resort and we will make sure your stay is nothing else but a great experience again.

With Best Wishes,
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

we returned from the Gran Bahia Tulum on Sunday and we had such a great time.
we stayed in the hacienda section and like other reviewers we loved it ,

the quietness of the tequila restaurant at breakfast and lunch was a plus for us and Gabriel and Gonzarlo always made us welcome, remembering what we drank even after the first day .

the food was constantly good , a big tip is to book your al a cartes on-line before you go, but you can only do it about a week before you travel. I did it and got conformation email back from staff member maxi to say he had booked them all for me this saved me time and disapointment if you dont like eating to late as they soon get booked up.
This is the best hotel for food that we have stayed in as we both normally get fed up of buffet food by day 10 but we did 8 al a cartes and all the different buffets and the 3 resorts so didn't find we got fed up at all .
we did
the mediterano which was ok but not the best. other people loved it that we talked to but not every ones tastes are the same are they.
the brazillian I cannot remember what it was called . this was not our taste the beef was very chewy and we didn't get why there was no veg and just a very small portion on rice and potatoes to accompany the meat that they bring on squarer's and cut off like the mediterano others said they loved it, but we personally prefered the others below.
mikados on the show table (Japanese) was fabulous lovely, freshly cooked in front of you, with knife tricks that make you gasp that the chef still has 5 fingers on each hand he was great.
Dolca vita ( italian) food was lovely and friendly waiter Alex kept our glasses topped up. the chicken with truffles for main and tiramisu for dessert was lovely.
Don pablos was just the best we went twice firstly on valentines day and then on our last nite and both times the whole night was lovely and food great, have a spanish coffee to finish and you get a table side fire show and it tastes amazing i was so hooked on them I had to buy the coffee liqueur to have at home.
arleiquin was just as good as don pablos my husband said he liked it better but a must to try

tequila (mexican) was a pleasant surprise as my husband does not like spicy food but it was just tasty not spicy at all and we loved it.

The rooms were spacious and cleaned daily to a high standard and we had occasional towel art on the bed. the air con was adequate but we found it better if you had the fan on at the same time.
The fridge was daily re filled and there was bier water fanta, coke a cola, and sprite and fruit juice and a packet of crisps and there was coffee and tea and flavoured teas.

The resort was massive and great fun to catch the golf buggies to get you around. we still managed to get lost a couple of times as did many others but there was always other people or staff to lend a helping hand . The gardens are lovely well kept and full of wild life, which made it a pleasure to walk if you didnt want to take the trollies/buggies.

The pools were always clean and well kept and never had problems getting sun beds we preffered to be on the beach or there was shaded areas between the beach and the pools that with the breeze coming off the sea some days, made it comfy to lay and do nothing or just read and sip a pina colada,

The bar staff were all friendly at the pool and at the bar at the main lobby of the tulum. we mainly used the pool at the hacienda in the day and the lobby bar at the tulum early evening and then again later in the evening. after we had watched some, but not all the shows the michael Jackson is a must we saw it twice once in the coba and in the tulum. there was entertainment in the lobby bar before and after the shows but only lasted for about 45 minutes it would have been good if it lasted a little longer than 11ish.
we enjoyed walking up and down the beach which is very corally and rocky so beach shoes are a must. the red flag flew a lot while we were there but the sea was wavey and it the under current strong.so it was for your own safety but it was shadey at the akamul end and at the other end near the white hotel.
we went on a trip to the coba and tulum ruins it was a nice day out and tulum ruins were a lot more pretty setting than the coba ruins but coba had the advantage that you can climb it if you have a head for heights I didnt do it but hubby did .
we did a 3 hour quad bike trip to this was fab a but a bit scary for me to start with but great once I built up my confidence. we swam in a cenote and went to a rescue centre for jungle animals all part of the trip .
just a tip take pasos and dollars we didn't and the trips from the thomas cook rep were priced in dollars and the exchange rate was not so good as i could have got if I had changed them to dollars at home . but the trips were great.
we went to Akamul on the collectivo bus it was great only 20 pesos each way each of us and a 5 minute walk to the lovely beach where I went snorkleing with a guide for 250 pesos they supplied the equipment and we were in the water of over an hour, it was the best I saw turtles, a barracuda that was about 8 foot long, a ray and massive moray eel and thousands of fish and beautiful corals it was the best 250 pasos i spent on the holiday I loved it.
The Gran Bahia Principe Tulum ( hacienda)was a great 2 weeks holiday and would recommend it to any one wanting good food and a relaxing clean friendly setting well done to you all . We hope to return Thanks

Room Tip: we were in block 39 it had a small sea view but when you book your restaurants ask for what room...
Dear Diane:

We would like to say ¨gracias¨ for deciding to give us an opportunity to enjoy our services and facilities at your second home in the Mexican Caribbean.

We will pass the comments on to Gabriel and Gonzalo, they will be happy to know that you have noticed his services.

On behalf of the entire team we thank for your positive comments to us moving through this social network always consulted and appreciated by many travelers

Hoping to have the pleasure to host you again
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Stayed for 10 days in October of 2012 since we got an excellent deal on the trip. It is true that you get what you pay for though - everything was fairly average, nothing stood out as exceptional as one would expect at a 5 Star resort. If I were to travel to the area again, I'd spend a bit more money and not be so concerned about a deal.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Tripadvisor Member:

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review about the Grand Bahia Principe Tulum hotel. It will certainly help us to keep focus on costumer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

We are sorry to read that we could not fulfill your expectations of a five star hotel.

Please be sure that we keep on working to improve our services and trust you will allow us another chance to restore all your confidence in Grand Bahia Principe Hotels and Resorts.

Kindest regards,
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was my first trip to Mexico, and since I was a female traveling alone, an all-inclusive resort sounded like the smartest idea. It was! I felt very safe at all times, they had all kinds of activities going on during the day - volleyball, dance lessons, water polo, tennis. The main pool would get pretty rowdy during the day, so I would recommend the other pools for a quieter experience. The beach is really rocky in some areas, but others are clear enough to wade out into and the breakers out in the water make it nice and calm by the time it gets to the beach.

ROOMS & GROUNDS: The rooms were very clean and a nice size. My "ocean-view" was completely obscured by a couple palm trees, but I didn't spend much time on my balcony anyway. There were a couple buildings behind my building on the other side of the pathway - I hope they charge less for those rooms because your balcony view is of the back of building 16. All the others at least have a garden or ocean view. I can't remember the # exactly, but it had 3 numbers instead of 2 - it was 333-- and 334-- maybe? I like building 16 b/c I was far enough from the lobby that I didn't hear all the noise, but close enough that it wasn't a huge trek to & from.
I loved how lush and tropical the resort was! Palm trees everywhere, lots of great landscaping - it was so beautiful and well-kept. Iguanas everywhere!

FOOD: I was very happy with the food - the buffets were enormous and catered to lots of different tastes, and like other reviews have suggested, TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE A LA CARTE RESTAURANTS! Don Pablo at Tulum was fantastic (surf & turf!), Mikado was very good, too, with the exception of the sushi (but I'm a sushi snob). Fruits de Mar was OK, but I heard Pescador was another good one.

STAFF: Everyone was so nice, from check-in to the servers to the cleaning team. As they drove by you on the pathways they would say hello or good morning. I felt very welcome at every turn.

EXCURSIONS: Xel-ha was a bit touristy for my taste. If you have kids then I would say it's a great place, but the snorkeling was pretty weak, and there weren't that many things to do. If you're looking for great snorkeling, go to Akumal Bay! The easiest way to get there was by taxi ($14 fare), or you could take the colectivo for $3 + walk to the beach (about a 10-minute trek). They have equipment rental there for $15. Sea turtles, tons of beautiful fish, great beach! The Tulum ruins are beautiful - the colectivo will drop you off right at the entrance, but make sure you bring pesos for the entry ticket (~57 pesos) b/c they don't take US$. Going off-site was another concern for me (again, single girl traveling), but the colectivos were very safe and I never felt like I was in any danger at the ruins area.

I was only there for 3 full days, which isn't nearly enough to do all of the things down there - I wanted to hit a cenote and check out Yal Ku Lagoon - but I got a good lay of the land and will be back in the future. I never got around to checking out the shows, and the only nightclub onsite didn't open until midnight so I never made it over.

Room Tip: Higher floors were much quieter!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Sara:

We consider it to be a great honor to have had the opportunity to have served you and the fact that you endorsed our property highly, is very motivating our managers and staff to keep on going the extra mile, we thank you for highlight our rooms as well as the food and is really nice heard that you enjoy your vacations among us.

Thank you for giving us your nice feedback about the time you had here and the activities that you had enjoyed. I believe that your suggestions will be very useful for other readers.

We do look for the opportunity to welcome you back again to this hotel,

Best Regards
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Returned from GP Tulum on 20 Feb 2013. This was our second time at this resort and we were not disappointed. We sayed in the Diamond Club, well worth the few dollars for the upgrade. It allowed us to have breakfast and lunch at a smaller buffet, tequila restaurant. The service is excellent, I must point out out our server Alfredo who took care of us daily and made us feel so much like family. Buffets are excellent, a la carts are superb. Rooms are clean and comfortable, and lots of entertainment on the resort. You can be busy or laid back. Pools and beaches are beautiful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Trip Advisor Member:

We are glad to know that Grand Bahia Principe was a good host during your vacation.

Thank you for giving us your nice feedback about the time you had here and the activities that you had enjoyed. The “Club Hacienda” is a very exclusive section which has extra amenities and private areas. We are happy to read that you enjoyed the privacy and exclusivity of this section and the variety of food in all the restaurants and buffets.

Please be assured that it is an honor and a great compliment for us to forward such wonderful comments to all our staff, especially to Alfredo.

Thank you for staying with us already twice, and we look forward to be able to welcome you back for a third time.

Regards
Public Relations

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Tulum? Share your experiences!