“Stay here!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

You added Grand Bahia Principe Tulum to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta Chetumal - Cancun Km 250., Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Special Summer Sales
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Stay here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We were expecting good, and got great! This hotel has everything... the beach and pools are fantastic. The buffet was unbelievably good. Don't listen to any complaints, I am a picky eater and liked everything. My friend and I are going to miss having churros every day! I will definitely go back again. Hopefully soon! I highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 10 - great location. Close to one of the pools, the beach and the 24-hour snack...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Lindsay:

On behalf of the staff and management of the Grand Bahia Principe Tulum hotel, we would like to thank you for letting us know that we have exceeded your expectations.

We thank you for your recommendations and look forward to welcoming you back!!!

With Kindest Regards,
Public Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,575)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I was there end of Jan 2013 and this place was amazing! so much fun, food was excellent, service fantastic and entertainment was great! Usually with other all inclusives I have to leave the resort but with Grand Bahia I didnt have to! There was so much to do on site. You are able to access the other 2 resorts- coba & akulum free!- food,shows,drinks, restaurants and the dicso on site is fun! If your young and single this place is for you. It was a mix of mid 20's - early 40's. The odd couples w kids but not alot and they stay in the kiddie pools. Party pools are kid free and have dj with awesome music on site. I would definately go back and recommend this place.
Big shout out to our entertainers- Viktor, Guillarmo, Archie & the rest of the gang who made our stay fun, entertaining and amazing memories. U wont regret going to Tulum!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
RRPPTULUM, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Cindy:

The nice notes like the one you kindly posted on the Trip Advisor webpage are very appreciated by us. Thank you for taking some time to express your impressions during your stay at the Grand Bahia Principe Resort. It was delightful for all our staff to read that you appreciate the service of all of them and the facilities at the resort. Your comments encourage us to continue improving our services.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back for a second stay to our resort and we will make sure your stay is nothing else but an amazing experience again.

Warmest Regards
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Lovely Hotel.. The staff were its greatest asset.Without doubt the most accommodating Bellboys ever. nothing was too much bother, from 6 in the morn till midnight they were always available.
We had water pouring into our room after a huge downpour but even that was sorted double quick..The food was excellent with so much choice, the only thing i can complain about was the lack of Sprite/Seven up from our fridge. For some reason there was an abundance of Coke/Pepsi/Beer but nothing else. small niggle..

Room Tip: Coba was very quiet suited us
Dear Trip Advisor member:

We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us.
We would like to show gratitude you for the recommendations you have made and will pass on the great feedback to the entire team. Your suggestions abou the minibar have been duly noted and we assure you that we will bear them in mind.

Thank you sincerely for choosing the Grand Bahia Principe Tuulm and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Kindest Regards
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum at the end of last December, and overall had a great vacation. I travel often, yet it was my first stay in a resort owned by the Gran Bahia chain. I am not exactly a resort person, and would much rather backpack through my destinations and stay in cabanas if possible, but its hard to justify at times paying more for less. This was my 4th visit to Tulum, and I truly love the beaches and surroundings. The resort is located in a very good location, but much closer to Akumal rather than Tulum itself. Its a short bus/taxi ride to Tulum and Playa Del Carmen, and there are plenty of places to visit closeby such as waterparks like XelHa and adventure parks like Xplore and Xcaret.

The resort itself is massive, since it is 3 or 4 resorts placed adjacent to each other. If I were to guesstimate, I would say we only explored 25% of the resort grounds during a week long stay. They have a train that goes through to make getting around easier but we walked most everywhere and only used the train once. The checkin was quick and painless, welcome cocktail was a nice touch. The room itself was fine as well. Slightly dated as expected, but very clean and everything was in working order. There was construction going on in front of our building, which was less than ideal, but we decided to stick with the room, since we are not very picky at all, and waking up around 7 am due to construction noise was actualy a bonus and allowed us to start our day early. If you like to sleep in during your vacations, and get stuck with a building close to construction, Id suggest goi ng back to reception and requesting a different room.

The cleaning staff was great and friendly, always willing to answer questions directly and doing a very good job overall, despite limited knowledge of English language. Mini bar is included in your rental, which I wish I knew from the get go but no big deal at all. In order to be able to use the safe, you have to pay extra at the reception, but we chose not to and did not have any items missing or anything of that nature. The food was fairly decent, no complaints there either. You have a choice of several buffet restaurants which all have outstanding selection and choices, even if food quality is only about average, standard resort fare. We went to three gourmet restaurants for dinner, and while the italian restaurant was outstanding from service to ambience to food quality, the mexican and brazilian places didnt raise above the buffet dinner by much. Certainly not worth paying extra for if thats what youre considering.

Free wifi was either extremely slow or completely unavailable for part of our stay, so if you need internet connectivity be prepared to pay extra for wifi, which we did only once, since thats all we needed. Entartainment was also decent, once again what you would expect from a large resort chain. In other words, nothing that will wow you but good enough to kill some time after dinner. At night, the ocean front gets dark and quiet so take your gf or wife for a stroll along the beach and a romantic evening is guaranteed. Pools were clean and swim up bar was cool as well, plenty of activities throughout the day if you are the type of person that needs activities arranged by someone else to have a good time. The highlights of our trip happened outside of the resort grounds, we grabbed a cab to go see the tulum ruins, followed by spending some time on excellent tulum beach and in town.

Hire your own guide for a few bucks instead of being bussed from the resort and overpaying. Tulum beach is what gets me to come back year after year, since its the cleanest, the most natural and the most wonderful beach I have ever stepped a foot on. The resort beaches were nice, but nowhere near as nice as the actual Tulum beach. The sand was coarser and it just wasnt quite the same. If you are like me, and prefer swimming in the ocean rather than pools, here comes a big con. The entire area that is designated for you to swim, is extremely limitting. I truly wish someone mentioned that in their countless reviews Ive read on this very site. The area is marked by buoys as well as giant sand bags, which are sometimes as close as 30 feet away from the beach, placed there to more or less protect the coral reef from the tourists. The problem with this is that the deepest water you can get into within a designated area for all of the resorts is about 3.5 feet in depth!!! How in the world do you swim in the ocean when the deepest water reaches your crotch? Me and my GF decided to go outside of the designated area and swim way into the ocean which was great, but we got flagged more than once by the lifeguards who will quickly call you back. WHen I go to an oceanfront resort, I want the access to the ocean and ability to swim wherever I please, not be stuck with 500 lost tourists who are limited to kiddie pool ocean depth. Had I known about this limitation, Id have chosen a different resort from the get go.

There were several volleyball courts all over the place and I spent quite a bit of time playing beach vball which is great fun. The beach is long which is really neat for long walks etc etc. Plenty of chairs and umbrellas as well, never had a problem finding one. The bartenders are fun and hard working, but the drinks are unfortunately very watered down, at each and every bar which was little dissapointing but not exactly shocking. I was also a little bit dissapointed with the staff attitude. Some employees, in the restaurants and front desk had pretty nasty attitudes and rarely if ever answered your questions. If you are an English speaking guest be prepared to be treated susbtantialy worse than Spanish speaking guests. Also, several employees attempted to sign us up for their timeshare trips, which they called VIP program or something. It was a bit obnoxious as I didnt come on a timeshare discounted vacation. I was taken aback by the fact that it was the Gran Bahia employees that were trying to sign you up for this, rather than another company. If I wanted to see timeshare presentations, I would have booked heavily discounted vacation package, not pay a full price.

Also, there was visible and consistent disconnect and disagreements between the vacation co reps and the resort staff. It is a sign of poor management to allow the guests to notice that this easily. To sum it all up, we had a really nice getaway but mostly because we dont let little things get in the way of having a great holiday. The biggest con for me was extremely limited swimming area in the ocean. Along with poor attitude from many service people, the timeshare nonsense and some other drawbacks, I will not be returning to Gran Bahia anywhere during my many travels. There is simply way too much competition and I am not willing to settle when in fact I know there are btter choices out there. My next visit to TUlum Mexico, will be a stay in cheapo cabanas right on the awesome tulum beach, and while still more expansive it will be much less limiting.

Tips:

- If you are interested in "Gourmet" dinners, book them in advance via email correspondence, the sooner the better.
- If you want to swim in the ocean, bring some waterproof beach shoes, the bottom is very rocky in places and you will tear up your feet to "swim" in 3 feet of ocean water. I use Keen H2s which are awesome and versatile.
- request a room away from construction and on 3rd floor for possibility of the ocean view.
- Do yourself a favor and go to the real Tulum beach for a day, you wont want to come back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Chris:

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us such a detailed review about the Grand Bahia Principe Tulum hotel. It will certainly help us to keep focus on costumer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

We are very concerned to learn about your disappointing experience and are sorry to hear that we could not fulfill your expectations of a five star hotel. Some of the problems you mentioned are totally under our standards and we have already taken action in order to meet our values again.

Please be sure that we keep on working to improve our services and trust you will allow us another chance to restore all your confidence in Grand Bahia Principe Hotels and Resorts.

Kindest regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We went to this resort with a bunch of friends. What we loved about the resort :
1. Live entertainment at night
2. Beaches were actually decent

What we did not like
1. Food was really really mediocre at best
2. Service was subpar
3. our room had a leak through the ceiling fan during the rain , we had to fight for a room change and had to sleep through the night in a leeky room
4. Making reservations for dinner was sort of painful

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Exha:

We want to convey our gratitude for your review about your recent stay at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum.

We are not happy to read that the food, the service and a la Carte reservation, has not lived up to your expectations; we always take note of those comments which indicate opportunity for improvement.

Thank you for highlighting that you enjoyed the beach and our entertainment team. It is important for us to know that our staff’s efforts are appreciated by our guests.

We hope to give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Regards
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

To be sure, this is by no means a bad place. It actually has a potential to be very good, or even great, but for a few notable shortcomings. To start with, the location is very favorable, the beach is mostly excellent and the staff friendliness is unquestionable. The sincere attempts to please are evident in all places, starting with room cleaning a resupply staff, over to restaurant service personnel and activity staff. And the access to the Tao wellness centre for select classes of yoga, Tai Chi, Chi Gong and meditation with very qualified instructors is a wonderful bonus definitely differentiating this from similar places along the Mayan Riviera coast. However, there are several things I need to mention that have prevented this from being great:

1. We have reserved (and paid for) a junior suite. I have contacted the resort beforehand and was assured (via email) that everything was ready. On the afternoon of arrival they attempted to put us in a regular room. When we came back to reception to request a change, first we were told that the computer system only reflects a regular room. When I showed them the original reservation as well as a paper trail of communication with the resort directly, magically there was change in the system, but the suite was unavailable until the following day, forcing us to move after the first night. Lesson #1: always carry a paper proof of your reservation.
2. The food in the buffet was very good, sometimes even above average. Sometimes, however, things were sub-par. Examples: the first two days they had various nuts to go along with the breakfast cereals. On the third days those vanished and did not come back for rest of our 10 days stay.
3. The rooms themselves were decent, but not great. The Grand Sirenis (the last such resort on Mayan Riviera we stayed in) was definitely better in this regard, more spacious rooms, especially the bathroom. The ‘mini bar’ was just a small fridge with non-alcoholic beverages and a couple of beer cans.
4. The 1 hour per day of hobby cat sailing proved to be elusive. Not necessarily because of the staff, but because of the “red flag” managements policies. If the red flag was posted, you could not check any water sport equipment out. 8 out of our 10 days this was the case. 1 day it was actually stormy and I might have agreed with that. But the remaining days were quite calm and they flew the red flag. The resort just up the beach had yellow flags posted for all of those days, but when I questioned the beach life guards about it, their only comment was: “management safety policy”. I even approached the guest relation desk about it, but also told that is for our safety and that it is up the life guards to decide. Frustrating to say the least, especially since we live on the coast of North Carolina and such conditions would not even merit a yellow flag on our “overly safety conscious” beach there. Lesson #2 – if you want to sail, go elsewhere.
5. The sit down restaurants (as well as the evening entertainment shows) were about average, not the best, once again there are other places on that coast that will give you a better experience in this regard.

Overall, I would recommend this place for people who are quite happy with a slightly above average place and just want to enjoy a decent beach with plenty of drinks delivered by exceptionally friendly staff.

Room Tip: Any room in building #5, or upper floor in #6. Stay away from 1 & 2 (too noisy) and any building...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Travelers:

We take this opportunity to thank you for the review you have written for the benefit of the Trip Advisor community .We appreciate that you have allowed us the honor of serving you.

We are grateful to you for choosing the Grand Bahia Principe Resort; it is an honor to serve you.
Your evaluation is of special importance to us as you have had the opportunity to compare our property and services whit other hotels. Please be assured that we have shared your feedback with the rest of the team, we all took your suggestions as a learning tool and will keep working to improve our services and make sure our entire guest feel welcomed.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our resort sometime in the near future. Please, do not hesitate to contact us should you need any assistance at:
info.tulum@bahia-principe.com

Warmest Regards,
HAMILTON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I'm going to start by saying that I do travel to a different resort every year, so I do have a fairly experienced point of view, but I am not a complainer by nature nor are my standards over the top. I expect a good travel experience, not perfection.
My family just returned on February 1, 2013 from the GBP Tulum and while we enjoyed our stay, we do hope that some improvements are made before we return.
We arrived at 12:30pm and were unable to get into our room early, but were given our bracelets and free reign of the resort which was great. We ate lunch, went to the beach and then got our room keys at 2:45.
We found big puddles of water on the floor in the entrance and bathroom of our room and then asked the valet to report the issue and leave the bags until we could determine if the leak could be fixed or if we needed to change rooms. The leak was in the light fixture in the entryway.
I waited about 5 minutes and then called reception to report the issue myself and then walked there to get a safe key which I forgot. By the time i was back to my room, a service man was already fixing the leak which took about 15 minutes. We were very impressed with the quick response.
We enjoyed the food at this resort a lot, there were tons of great and healthy choices. Don Pablo was probably my fav restaurant, but the Tequila and Mikado were great too, (book the show if you can) Eating at the buffet was never a let down but I did prefer Coba`s buffet to Tulums as I felt there was more options.
My only issue with the buffet was that the greeter did not seat you herself and sometimes we had to circle the restaurant three times before finding a table or we were asked to move to a smaller table by the service staff and were unable to find one as some were roped off. I think if we were seated by the greeter, this would solve the problem though.
The beach was lovely and clear by the Tortuga restaurant there was fish everywhere. Tons of tiki huts. I NEVER had a problem finding a chair or shade.
I booked the Dolphin experience in a package with a massage for $170 but paid $20 more for the upgrade to dolphin push for my daughter. The reservation for my beach massage was made for the next day at 3pm and I was told the entire price would be billed to my room.
I was asked to arrive at the spa ten minutes early, and I would be taken to the beach by cart. I did as requested but was told to walk back to the massage hut on the beach (at the other end of the resort) and my massuese would meet me.(which made me wonder why I couldn't have just met her there to begin with) She was 1/2 hour late, didn't apologize at all and then asked me to fill out a room charge form. When I told her that the dolphinarium was already charging my room she suddenly didn't understand me and signed that I should phone the spa. After much back and forth between myself and various staff members who didn't seem to know about this package at all and after watching the massuese snicker and laugh behind her hand with the other staff members, the gentleman that I booked the package with finally came and straightened everything out. (Each service bills separately) By this point, it was after 4pm. I think that if the billing process could have been explained to me clearly in the first place, none of that would have happened at all.
The dolphin experience itself was fantastic. My daughter loved every second of it. The only complaint I had was the price of the pictures. I think $70 for an 8 minute video (most of which shows other people) and $30 per picture is absolute robbery. Nonetheless, my daughter convinced me to split the cost with her for the video and three pictures package for $100 while the staff tried to convince me to buy the total package for $350 (for all the pictures and the video.
I really enjoyed the animals that were in abundance all over the resort. Loved the food and beach and dolphins. I didn't mind the size of this resort either (It is HUGE) and I can't wait to explore other parts of it that we didn't see if we come back.
The shops were typical/expensive. The Tequilier was very informative and helpful.
The shows were entertaining enough. Avatar was my favorite.
It would be great if the carts used for transport had their own path as another reviewer mentioned as it was rather tedious to have to jump out of their way all the time.
All in all, my family did enjoy our stay at the GBP Tulum and if a few issues were resolved, we would return to this resort.

Room Tip: We stayed in villa 905 and loved it. Close to the nicer area of the beach, the pool, 24 hour snack...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor of your recent stay with us.

I would like to apologize for situation described referring the service in the spa and the lack ok service in the restaurants as a company we greatly value the feedback which we receive from our guests as we constantly strive to maintain consistently high standard of service.

I hope these shortfalls will not tarnish your overall impression and deter you from staying with us. It would be our privilege to welcome you back in the near future, giving us another opportunity to make sure you have a great and unforgettable stay.

Kindest Regards,
Public Relations

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Tulum? Share your experiences!