“Family wonder vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Tulum to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Aventuras Akumal. Crtra. Chetumal - Cancun, Km. 251, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 20 hotels in Akumal
Lisbon, Lisboa, Portugal
“Family wonder vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This was the second stay at this hotel (first was in 2007) and I enjoyed a lot and since that time a dolphins pool was added where guests can interact with them for a fee.

The rooms are big and clean, with nice views to the pools and gardens. The food was what I liked less, the buffets meals have limited choice and not very appealing. However, there are a la carte restaurants that you can reserve a table(3 nights out of seven). The thematic restaurants are Gourmet, Mexican, Italian, Seafood and Brazilian. Do not miss the Seafood and Brazilian meat rodízio where the grilled pineapple with cinnamon is a perfect ending for the dinner.

There is a dive shop within the resort. I dived the turtle reef, cenote and two Cozumel dives. Dive staff is very friendly and helpful.

The beach is very nice with white sand. There are some artificial breakwaters that make it very safe for children. Although there are pieces of coral and small rocks on the shallows that can hurt your feet. Be sure to take some beach footwear to avoid any unpleasant surprise.

Room Tip: Choose a room with view to the dolphins pool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Nickivanden, Gerente at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Armando:

We want to express our appreciation for sharing with us and with other Trip Advisor Users you gracious feedback regarding your visit to Gran Bahia Principe Resort. We fell so content to read that you have enjoyed yourselves and that you took the opportunity to admire the natural surroundings.

It is nice to know that you have enjoyed our service and the hotel facilities. We have already shared your comment with our chef and restaurant manager in order to improve variety of food.

We all are looking forward to welcome you and your family for your third visit at your second home at the Mexican Caribbean.

With best regards

6,232 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,109)
  • Polish first
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We dont want to be one of those that complain about things in fact we have very little to complain about however being on our honeymoon (and quite young) we wanted lively nightly entertainment or at the option of doing something other than sat in a smoke fulled lobby/bar/reception area night after night.
We had a truly amazing view and room (we were up-graded due to it being our honeymoon) . If you want to stare in each others eyes loveling for the WHOLE holiday than fab ,however it wasnt for us . We did enjoy some trips and meeting other couples it was amazing.
Our Maid service was amazing and we had different animals everyday , spotlessly clean rooms and facilities (pools etc) .
Views very stunning and restuarant staff went above and beyond , bar staff in the evening were a problem and we would rate this as 'poor' .
Personally we had a lovely honeymoon for the first week and then onwards we were wanting to come home .
We did experience another problem with the reception staff at the resort who after 10 mins of us trying (I work with diffcult customers every day)to explain they decided they ,they could do 'nothing' and dismissed me to talk 'go talk to your rep , we do nothing' in an agressive tone and rudley went to serve another guest. We were offered no soultions to our problems or help at all (we'd not been given towel cards) just got told it was $15 USD each to replace (what we hadnt been given) and they couldnt do anything .
If your going I would recommend visting the other Lobbies and other restuarants for a change .
Also this resort take US Dollars , all Thomas Cooke trips take them , local tour guides take them and in resort cash (ATM) machine dispence them . You'll need Peso's to exit the county and tip but thats all .
I would also suggest English people (who politley wait their turn in ques) may be waiting ages at the bar (evening service and some restuarant service) as some guests tip highly everytime they 'click their fingers' leaving the waiting staff no choice but to serve them first even if you've been waiting 0ver 10mins.
We had an averge honeymoon , made better by the people we met and weather however I wouldnt recommend it for young couples , honeymooning etc .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nickivanden, Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Guest:

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to communicate your opinion about your last stay at the Gran Bahia Principe Resort.
We are happy to see that there are elements of hotel that you quite enjoyed, however we are very concerned to read that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level of service concerning the main lobby. We have already shared it with our front desk manager in order to improve and enhance service. Indeed, your well being and entire satisfaction is our primary goal.

Nevertheless, we do hope that you took treasured moments from your vacation to the Mexican Caribbean back home with you. We strive to do so through the genuine warmth, professionalism of our staff, and highly personalized service so it is always rewarding to know the suggestions and comments from our guests which help us to be stronger and better and also help to guide us in knowing what areas we need to improve

We will very glad if you give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum in September 2012. Overall it's a very nice resort that you don't need to leave - although I'm glad we had 4 excursions booked or by the end of 2 weeks we'd have been bored stuck in the same place everyday. The room was fine - clean and in good condition. We had to complain as the fridge wasn't stocked for 3 days, but they promptly filled it and gave us a bottle of 'Champagne' (which tasted more like cider) to compensate.

We received a free Diamond upgrade as we booked early, but I really wouldn't suggest paying for it. As far as I can tell all we got for this was access to the Diamond pool, which was always so busy (with towels on all the sunloungers from very early) that we only sat round it once. We also got to use the Tequila bar for breakfast and lunch, but it's just a smaller version of the main buffet, with less choice. We also got an extra A La Carte menu reservation each week...a mixed blessing, more on that later.

The main Tulum pool is nice, but spoilt by the constant loud music and it being like an 18-30's club...I must be getting old! The main bar is nice, but all entertainment finished by 10.00pm and they were looking to get you out by 10.30pm. This left the Hacienda as the only place to go to get a drink - the outside section was OK, but the "disco" was like a hardcore Ibiza club. Maybe 15 years ago I'd have thought it was OK, but as I said I must be getting old! We didn't even bother seeing a show as sticking my head round the corner was enough - Hi-De-Hi had better quality entertainment!

Make use of the safety deposit box in your room (which you have to pay for) - a guest had their room broken into when we were there and had their passports and $1000 in cash stolen.

Food was very hit and miss. The main buffet was generally of a high standard, with a good amount of choice. Each night there is a theme, but as far as I can tell that meant that if it was Italian night they had one extra pasta option, if it was Spanish night then they had some paella...and that was it. The waiter service was mostly good, but on some days dreadful. To be fair I think this was due to the lack of staff, but it's very frustrating to not get a drink until after your main course, or in one case not at all. The biggest complaint is that they were replacing half of the roof and constantly doing building work throughout the day and evening - quite annoying.

The A La Carte restaurants varied massively in quality. These are the one's we ate at:

Mediterannean: OK. The starter was good - a very nice selection of hot and cold food from a buffet, and I could quite happily have has this for the main too. I had steak and asked for it very rare or blue if they could do it - it came back well done and very, very tough.

Le Gourmet: Awful!!!! Seriously poor. On paper the menu sounded lovely, but they should learn basic cooking skills before trying to attempt gourmet French food. The amuse bouch of caviar and aubergine was dry and tasteless, both of our main courses were overcooked to the point of being inedible. I had scallops and prawns, which were so overcooked that they were dry and tough. Not very pleasant. If it was a normal restaurant I would have refused to pay. Avoid.

Tequila: Great!! This is the Mexican restaurant, and the food was superb. The starter was a buffet selection, with some very nice stuff and the best taco I've ever had. The mains were lovely too - I had steak that was cooked perfectly and excellenty seasoned, while my girlfriend had amazing fajitas. This restaurant was so much better than the others that we cancelled 'Don Pablo' gourmet restaurant as we didn't trust it, and was planning on coming back to Tequila, but didn't get around to booking it again. The staff were the most friendly of all restaurants, and there was a good atmosphere with a mariachi band going from table to table.

Gran Tortuga: the Brazillian restaurant, and highly recommended if you are hungry! They have a traffic light system - turn your card to green when you want to eat, and red when you are full. When on green waiters keep bringing round different meats cooked over charcoal on swords. Some of them were superb (the steak and chicken in particular), although the turkey was dry and sausage fatty and flavourless.

Mikado: the Japanese restaurant, which could be excellent or just OK, depending on where you sit. They have a few teppanyaki tables, and if you sit at one of them it's great, but if not then it's just a normal restaurant and you miss out on the fun. It seems to be down to luck where you sit - if you're at the teppanyaki your booking slip says 'Observacion', however friends of ours had that on their slip and didn't sit there, and when they complained their waitress walked off! The teppanyaki is good - quite a lot shorter than a normal teppanyaki restaurant as they cook everything at once, but they had good skills and the atmosphere and food was good. Recommended.

Overall the resort is good, but by the end of 2 weeks I felt that we'd seen everything there was in the resort and would have hated to stay there another week as we'd have been really bored. The excursions were the most memorable parts of our holiday and if we had just stayed in the resort I wouldn't have felt I'd even had been to Mexico. But overall the resort is nice and relaxing, and relatively high quality. It's not a proper 5 star hotel (no room service and not enough waiters for a start), but the staff are very friendly and it's a very relaxing way to spend your holiday. I wouldn't go back, mostly because I feel that I've seen everything I want to in the Yucatan Peninsula and would be bored stuck in just that resort for 2 weeks, but I had a great holiday and apart from some complaints about food quality, service and building works it's not a bad hotel.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying for the Diamond upgrade. The extra restaurant option isn't necessarily...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Nickivanden, Gerente at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Tripavisor Member:

We want to thank you for visiting Gran Bahia Principe Resort and to tell you that the notes and sincere feedback are very appreciated by all of us.

We are happy to see that there are elements of the hotel that you quite enjoyed, however we are very concerned to read that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level of service concerning the service and the a la carte restaurants. We have already shared it with our chef and restaurant manager in order to improve and enhance quality. Indeed, your well being and entire satisfaction is our primary goal.

The roof preservation work and the lack of service experienced are areas where we have already taken action to avoid this from happening in the future.

Our goal is to work and improve every day to be the popular family resort that has been appreciated by thousand of guests and we appreciate every comment to make our services better.

Wishing to have the opportunity to be at your service again,
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Gran Bahian Principe Tulum

While at your resort 15th September 2012 – 29th I wrote 2 formal complain forms to which I had no reply at all by your staff. I am not sure if these do actually get passed to management.

Gran Bahia Tulum is very far from 5 star. Your service is all restaurants is very slow we were waiting on average 25minutes for a cup of coffee in the morning with breakfast if the hotel is short staffed would it not be an idea to install coffee/cold drinks machine where guests can help themselves!
This also applies to the diamond pool bar guests are around the pool from 7am but have to wait until 10am to be able to get a drink due to the bar opening at this time – why no self service machine????

Lunch in the tequila restaurant states it is served until 3.30pm if this is the case how come at 2.45 I went for lunch and there was no fresh meat available and your chef refused to cook any chicken due to the time. I am 4 months pregnant and therefore have to be careful what I eat and could not get lunch. We used the 24hour snack bar once and had sausages and the 4 of us that ate them ended up with stomach bugs for 5 days! Is there no law as to the amount of time these are left on the serving tray?
The main buffet reasurant is terribley organised you should have a member of staff showing guests to seats instead you leave them to wander around for 15 minutes trying to find a table. Once you have found a table it would have been really nice to be offered a drink within half an hour and to also not have half of the food trays empty!!

The alacarte restaurants had to be booked as soon as you arrived or they were full, please tell me why every time we went to one half of the tables were unoccupied??

I appreciate you cannot have bars open 24hours a day but the diamond lobby bar shutting at 10 is terrible guests (me and my husband included) liked to go and sit in there with a drink after meals and have a chat but with the early closing time this was impossible.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Nickivanden, Gerente at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Danielle:

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us such a detailed review about the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum Resort . It will certainly help us to keep focus on costumer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

We are very concerned to read about your disappointing experience and we are sorry to hear that we could not fulfill your expectations of a five star hotel. Some of the problems you mentioned are totally under our standards and we have already taken action in order to meet our values again. Our food and beverage department is revising their operation to avoid the inconveniences you had with the service in the buffet, snack bar and Tequila restaurant.

The spaces in the a la carte restaurants depend on the seating system we use to respond to all nationalities. We have seatings from 6.00 until 10.30pm with a limited amount of spaces as the guests come in every 30minutes and the service of our clients take generally, depending on the choice of food they make, about one hour and thirty minutes; if we would only offer two or three seating times every evening, we would have the same amount of spaces but the restaurant fully occupied in these 2-3 seatings, so the restaurants looks full but now we use the same amount of spaces spread over the whole evening in 30 minute seatings.

Please be assured that we have addressed your letter to every manager in order to take measures as we always strive for excellence in service. We will do our outmost and work to improve your next experience with us.

We hope we can get another chance to restore all your confidence in Gran Bahia Principe Hotels and Resorts.

Sending you my kindest regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

This was my 9th time at this resort and have never been disappointed. Always find something to do even when it rains. The pools, rooms and grounds are beautiful. With a Mayan theme. Will be going back.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nickivanden, Gerente at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Christine:

First of all thank you for trusting the Gran Bahia Principe Resort your home at the Mexican Caribbean and choosing us already to enjoy several holidays in our resort. I really appreciate you for writing your impressions in this website and to share them with other guests.

We are happy to note that you enjoyed your stay and please do let us know when you come for a 10th visit to: info.tulum@bahia-principe.com

Kindest regards,
County Durham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed in the Hacienda section of this very large Resort Complex.Do not waste your money as all I can say is that you get 2 extra a la carte meals per stay.The private check in Lobby we found smelly from a sewage problem,mosquito infested and certainly not a place to linger in.They do not have coctails and limited drinks available.You can catch one of the golf trolley affairs to get to the main lobby and then change buses to go further.
The rooms were basic and tired,we stayed in block 46 in room 4623 and 4624 ,on the third floor which we requested a top floor.
There is a restaraunt near by for breakfast and lunch,obviously limited compared to main restaraunt.Food was repetative and not brilliant. A La Cartes were better with varied meals etc I would suggest making reservations two weeks before you are due to go.Email Fernando. The overall look of this hotel is good with well kept lawns ,pools ,what you would expect but scratch the surface of ths hotel and it is a facade.
The basic service in the restaraunts is terrible,the staff have too many tables to take care of that the basic waitering skills do not apply.Tables are reset poorly,trying to order a drink difficult,But my main complaint was that I ate my starter and the dishes were not taken away,so when i Returned to my table I have to juggle used dishes and then the same again with dessert.Sorry but poor sevice at this level of Hotel.Not what you expect
Turn back the clock literally as if you want a sun bed near the hacienda pool please be prepared to get up at 6 am YES it still goes on ,and put a towel on your sunbed.I am not joking when i say that a scottish Lady and Canadian lady came to blows literally!
The rooms lacked the filling of the fridges promised and coffee etc refilled,just little things but they all add up.my room had broken Coffee machine ,broken washing line ,broken bath plug that would not allow water to fill up.In there defence these broken things were fixed.
However my son aged 32 years old in the adjacent room had no electric for 2.5 hours one evening and electricians worked in his room to fix,but this fix lasted one day same again next evening.Then after a disagreement with Public relations who accused him of using straighteners or other hairdryer that caused the issue.Not bad being able to diagnos an electrical issue over the phone.Trust me he is a typical man no straighteners.We were treated so badly on this occasion we were given a free safety deposit box and my son a free swim with dolphins.However much goodwill was offered all we wanted was what we paid for.
We also had issues within the lobby bar with trainee staff who were rude and badly trained.I felt my integrity was being brought in to question. Therefore a flower arrangement was given, problems with my room ,given a bottle of champagne.The gifts were well meaning but they should not need to do this if the basics were met and they were not.
We had a good holiday all the same inspite of the issues going on trips and using the little buses to get around the 3 hotels and to all the a la cartes.There is also a shopping area within the complex.Do not be fooled though unless you travel by car,bus etc there is nothing on the main road nearby to walk to
We went to Chichen Itza a must do ( Fantastic) a cenote and local town with Yuca Treks really would highly recommend.Swimming with Whale sharks.( Private Tour through Yuca Treks again)
We also went to Akumal beach getting a taxi at the hotel for approx £3 Beautiful and you can swim with Turtles from the beach.You need to take towels to sit on ,there are no sunbeds.There is a bar serving food and a fixed price taxi rank to get back.only 10 mins in taxi.
All in all I did enjoy my holiday but felt that the Gran Bahia promised a lot but delivered far below what it is capable of,we went low season so how on earth do they cope high season.
I like Mexico and the people are friendly on the whole.The staff in this hotel may have been good people but so over worked that they could noy be themselves.I would like yo mention Nemisio at the pool bar.He managed to serve and look after a the whole pool area and beach area all bt himself.AND stay friendly.
We would not go back to the Gran Bahia again.In all honesty the Grand Sirenis had better service for this area of Riviera Maya.It could be a great hotel but thay have lost their way quite a lot.Maybe to big and lost the little touches that matter.Maybe too interested in promoting their private condominiums etc that they are trying to sell at the moment.

Room Tip: Be aware that the size of this complex is so large that if you have any difficulties walking or gett...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Kathryn:

All the comments of our guests are appreciated and also the suggestions and complaints make us improve every day. We thank you for your bringing your concerns to us so we can try to avoid similar experiences to you and your family and other guests in the future.

Our Club Hacienda area is a private and smaller part of the resort that is generally appreciated for the more personalized service given from the front desk by Fernando and his staff until the waiters as Nemesio at the pool bar and other employees you have certainly met in the Tequila restaurant at breakfast and lunch. We have already passed on your comments about the limited options in the tequila restaurant for our Club guests to our executive chef, who is always pleased to cook something that may be not on the menu after the request made at the kitchen staff. Regarding the sun beds at the pool area, we have received more loungers to make all our guests comfortable and avoid any disagreements between nationalities at this quiet section of the hotel.

We sincerely regret the condition of the room and thank you for being specific about the numbers so we can revise these matters with the housekeeping and maintenance department responsible for the state the rooms are in, and also given to our guests from the day of arrival, as well as the calls that were made during the stay requiring assistance of any kind.

Happy to read that you have appreciated the garden and pool areas, the small good will gifts from our customer department, as well as the excellent service with the smile, from employees such as Nemesio, we hope you may change your mind and write us (info.tulum@bahia-principe.com) before your next stay to give us a second chance to serve you in a better way than the first time you visited us.

Yours truly,

Peterbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

My new wife and I (Congratulations!, thank you very much!) recently visited this hotel. I must say it is a great hotel if your just looking at a family holiday. If your thinking about it for a honeymoon then I would look else where. Although most things were good there was also some bad things. It's not a very romantic setting if your after pure romance etc. The complex is set in a great location with lots to do outside the complex.

Good points

The hotel complex is massive so there are plenty of places to visit like swimming pools, food places and the beach is massive, not all white sand though, there are some areas where it is rocky. The food in the 3 main buffet restaurants is very nice, I think that the Coba was the best though. There is a 24hr snack bar that does basic food like burgers, chips etc which is good. A couple of the pools have swim up bars which are fun, plenty of things happening around those. There is plenty of transport to get you around the complex and the staff are friendly. Service was good but sometimes was a little slow. The overall facilities are good and there is plenty to do.

Bad points

Night time entertainment was a good fun but it finished in the hotel quite early, 10pm although there was some bars with entrainment at the isa bell hotel part with a night club as well.

We upgraded to a Hacienda Suite which was suppose to give us exclusive stuff but I must say it was very disappointing. As part of the up grade we was told we would get bathrobe, slippers, beach towels, fruit basket and wine in the room, on speaking to others in the hotel who didn't upgrade they said that they got this service in there rooms (not the wine but then neither did we). It seems the only thing we got extra was a sofa in the room. We had access to private dining and a private pool. The private dining was just a smaller buffet for breakfast and lunch with less choice than the main places and the pool was just another pool with Hacienda residents only allowed to use, the problem here was that thre was roughly 50 sun loungers but 100 people trying to get them, so it wasnt as private as we imagined.

Overall we had a good time and met some great peolle and staff. We would go back but I would not recommend it for a honeymoon.

Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view!
Dear Tripavisor Member:

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments about your stay at the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum hotel. It will certainly help us to keep focus on costumer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.
We are very concerned to learn about your disappointing experience and are sorry to hear that we could not fulfill your expectations. Some of the problems you mentioned are totally under our standards and you may rest assured that we will check every point mentioned in your review to make any adjustments necessary as soon as possible.

The Club Hacienda is a section at the Tulum hotel, which has different amenities and a private reception where you have an exclusive bar and personalized service.We are very sorry to read that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level of service concerning the food of our restaurants and the chairs at the pool. We have already shared it with our chef and restaurant manager in order to improve and enhance variety indeed, your well being and entire satisfaction is our primary goal. Regarding the sun beds at the pool area, we have received more loungers to make all our guests comfortable.

Please be assured that we have addressed your letter to every manager in order to take measures as we always strive for excellence in service. We will do our utmost and work to improve your next experience with us, hoping you will give us another change to restore the confidence in our chain by writing us a mail of your requests and wishes a few weeks before arrival (info.tulum@bahia-principe.com) and it will be our pleasure to help you in the best possible way.

We appreciate the time in leaving us your comments.

Public Relations

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Tulum? Share your experiences!