“Small All-Inclusive Resort with Friendly Atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Oasis Tulum

Save Saved
You added Grand Oasis Tulum to your Saves list
Grand Oasis Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Chetumal-Puerto Juarez, Km. 251, Akumal 77780, Mexico   |
Special Offer
FREE Upgrade + EXTRAS
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
DeKalb, IL
“Small All-Inclusive Resort with Friendly Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

This place has a lot going for it from my perspective. I wanted an all-inclusive with snorkeling off the beach and a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. We've been to some of the super-large la-dee-da resorts where NO ONE ever struck up a conversation with us. At the Oasis Tulum, it's friendly. I'm not sure what gives a place the kind of relaxed vibe that makes people strike up conversations with strangers, but the Oasis has it for sure.

We loved the Piano Bar in the lobby! Pianist Marcello is a big plus for the Grand Oasis. I also appreciated the friendliness of the wait staff, cooks, and housekeeping personnel. And the concierge was a plus. One night I left a small insulated bag at the hotel's Al Sur restaurant and was having trouble locating it via the front desk and the Lost and Found people. When I returned to Al Sur to see if the staff there had seen it, hostess Diana took the initiative to personally help me retrieve the bag from Security. She could have told me to go through prescribed channels but when she heard how unsuccessful I had been, she took the task in hand in a most impressive, capable manner. The eggs-to-order cook Iver was one of our favorites, too.

The beach is gorgeous, the snorkeling decent, the food good, the staff friendly, and our stay very pleasant.

This is a quiet, laid-back resort worth trying. I agree that some of the areas are not well-air-conditioned, e.g., the 3rd floor, and if you need U.S. style hyper-a/c, this may not be the place for you. Water was turned off a couple of times for an hour or so. And it's true that many of the front-desk people are not empowered to take corrective action and one can feel put off. But since the hotel has the features I look for, I have to rate it Excellent.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Geo:

It is a pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your vacations in our hotel and that you received such excellent service.
We are proud to say we have a team always ready to give their best at all times to make every single one of our guests feel at home and make sure they have a wonderful vacation. We will certainly congratulate them for their amazing job.

Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Silverlake, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

THE BEST BEACH EVER! I stayed at the Grand Oasis Tulum for 4 nights (not long enough by the way). I would have stayed in a broken down hut just to have access to the snorkeling on this beach. I visited other beaches in the area, but always wanted to come back “home” to the Oasis beach. The beautiful fish literally swim around your legs when you are only knee deep in the water.

I booked the hotel before reading all the reviews based on a good deal we found. After I read the reviews, I was ready for the worst. So to address some of the bad reviews, here is what I experienced: The wait staff was very friendly, the front desk just okay, we enjoyed the food at the buffet every day, the fruit bar especially is impressive, the Mediterranean restaurant was too hard to get reservations for (but the food and service was great when we finally got in), I always had hot water, the shower overflowed slightly so we put towels down (not a big deal), the toilet in the room was broken initially but a maintenance man came and fixed it immediately – no problems after that, the air conditioning in our room worked perfectly. Overall, we were very comfortable.

Tips: 1. Go to the beach early and reserve a good spot with shade. 2. Look for the big lizard that perches near the pool every day. 3. If you snorkel, rent a car to go up the road about a mile to Akumal Beach – pay $5.00 to park and swim with the turtles – I did not see a lot of fish, but swam with 3 turtles ( I was only there about 1 hour). 4. Don’t get sucked into their version of a timeshare. They will offer you a free massage and vacation…..don’t waste your vacation time on it. 5. Get an ocean view – ours was amazing – it felt like I was sleeping 20 feet from the ocean.

We did not bring our kids on this trip, but will on the next one. I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again although I admit this was my first time in the Cancun area and am not comparing it to other all-inclusives in the area.

Room Tip: The Ocean View is worth it!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Lissy:

It is amazing to know that your stay with us has motivated to share such a great review about our hotel. Thanks for highlighting those qualities that made your stay unforgettable.
Our staff is always working hard to satisfy our guests so they can have an amazing experience.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you once again in the future.
North Bend, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We spent our honeymoon at Grand Oasis Tulum (Nov. 17-23). The room was beautiful - king bed, huge balcony, champagne awaiting us upon arrival. Check in was smooth although we did arrive before 3 o'clock checkin....so it was time for some food, drink and a walk around the beach, property, etc. No problems with smells or nonworking AC. The food was outstanding. We had no problem obtaining reservations for each of the restaurants. We were served a special honeymoon dinner which was great! Pools were beautiful and the swim up pool bar was superb! Miguel was such a good bartender!! Also we enjoyed the roof top plunge pools and bar; great place to watch the sunset! And the King of the Mojitos is another great bartender. Now to the tears: While we were on our honeymoon (on Wednesday), my Mother passed away. I needed to make several calls to the US to make arrangements, talk to family members, etc. I went to the lobby to seek assistance in engaging the Wi-Fi to make calls and spoke with Edna Alvarado about the matter. Edna immediately took it upon herself to make all of the calls for me from the hotel phone, did not let me pay for the service and continued to be such a wonderful Godsend to me during this most difficult time. The word was apparently spread around because all of the staff seemed to go out of their way to express condolences, check on our needs, etc. They could not have been more kind and thoughtful. We have been on about a dozen cruises and this was the first all-inclusive resort for us. We REALLY enjoyed it, despite the unfortunate events and would certainly come back to try the Honeymoon thing again. I cannot thank you all enough for your kindness.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Shira:

We are pleased to greet you at the same time thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit. Likewise express our appreciation for the flattering words we received from your stay with us.
We are delighted to have met your expectations and that you had a great honeymoon.
It is a pleasure to serve you and make your stay with us an unforgettable experience.

Hope to see you again soon.
West Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Room was awful. No air and no running water. Drains smelled horrible and made room smell. Lilly at front desk indicated we should be happy to have a room.

Waiters were amazing and tried hard. Front desk, lobby staff and managers were awful and could care less about us. Lilly and Moises were the worst.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest:

We are very sorry that we haven't met your expectations, we would like to sincerely apologize and inform you that all your comments and opinions are considered in order to improve our service.
We are glad we had the opportunity to solve all the inconveniences you encountered during your stay, this way we were able to enhance your experience and change your perception of our service.

We would be pleased to welcome you again on your next vacation.

Best regards
Gibbons, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I went with a friend of mine and we absolutely enjoyed our stay at the Oasis Tulum. Clean rooms, great service, very friendly staff, wonderful beaches.. Excellent Entertainment every night, and a variety of places as well. We had the best entertainment lady... Nadia Garcia....she took us snorkelling, we did aqua size with her and everyday she found us on the beach just to chat and see if we needed anything...very kind and helpful!!! She was amazing. The resort is a really nice size so you really get to know people. Will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Garden rooms were great!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Lynne:

We would like to thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent visit.
We are glad you liked and enjoyed our facilities, the great variety of restaurants, as well of the activities and the entertainment.

It was a pleasure to have your family and you as guests, we hope to see you again very soon.

Gresham, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

This is a beautiful property with a beautiful beach. We stayed at the Grand in late February for 9 days in a garden room. Nice, clean rooms with everything working. We had a king size pillow-top bed (very comfortable) in the room and a private patio overlooking a wading pool. Good room numbers were 2120-2134 (ground floor with a sliding glass door and patio lounges), 2220-2234 (second floor with a balcony). 2320-2334 (3rd floor) We were in room number 2234 and everything worked great in the room. We always left a $2 daily tip for the maid service and always got great service. We did request through the front desk bottled water for our room refrigerator and some extra hangars for the closet. The front desk responded quickly.
When you first arrive at the hotel you will referred to the Oasis Plus desk. My wife and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. Waiting in our room was a bottle of champagne and some chocolate dipped strawberries. Nice touch...be sure to indicate on your reservation which room numbers you request and if you're celebrating anything.

Great service people
1. Lilliana was awesome at the Oasis Plus desk...very helpful, a great problem solver and went out of her way for us several times.
2. Noe: Great service at the breakfast buffet and Terraza Careyes for lunch. The best meals we had were our lunches at Terraza Careyes. Great seafood dishes and ceviche. ( be sure to show up 30 minutes prior to opening to get a table). The breakfast buffet had a separate area in the northeast corner that has champagne and fresh orange juice. The breakfast buffet had bacon, ham, omelets per order, lots of tropical fruit and Mexican breakfast dishes. They also had lots of fresh bread and sweet rolls.
3. Jorge at the piano bar made the best margarita. great service! Good piano and guitar music from 6-8 PM.
4. Miguel at the Serape Restaurant-good food and service. Excellent Mariachi band plays regularly. Request that they play "Rancho Grande" just for grins.
5. Cleo at the Al Sur-good service and food.
6. The Careyes had excellent food.
7. The steak house has a good ribeye steak. (The Brazillian Steakhouse is closed)
8. We did not eat at the Italian Restaurant. The latte shop was good.
Be sure to leave a couple of dollars each for tips. The waiters remember you and provide extra good service (our experience).
Be sure to wait in the seating area just across from Oasis Plus about 8:30 (about 30-40 minutes before restaurant reservations begin) to get the gourmet restaurant and dinner time you want. Grab a book and a latte and hang out before reservations open.
Fun stuff: We went to Tulum. We hired a taxi ($46 RT) (air conditioned) that dropped us off next to the Tulum Ruins ticket office and waited until after we toured the grounds, picked us up, stopped by a liquor store so we could buy some tequila (we packed the tequila in bubble wrap in our suitcases for the trip home), and dropped us off at the front door of the hotel. The Collectivo is a lot cheaper, but involves a lot more walking (20 minute walk from the highway to the ruins). Tip: If you walk to the entrance of the property next to the highway, you can actually negotiate a lower fair that you would get if you leave from right out the hotel entrance. The ruins are interesting. It takes about an hour to complete the tour. Lots of Iguanas around...not to worry...they are vegetarians. Nice beach below the ruins.
Rip-off alert: The ATM's charge a $20 fee to get cash out in dollars and they limited me to $100 withdrawal.
Went fishing with Jesus from one of the pangas anchored off the beach. We got skunked (Irony: Fishing with Jesus and getting skunked). These guys are good fishermen. I knew before going down that that time of year the fishing was not good. 2 days later they caught a 30lb Dorado(mahi-mahi) and a small sail fish. The best fishing is May and June for dorado and tuna. $200 for 4 hours of fishing. Good boat..good gear..captain and deckhand. very convenient!
My wife and I don't hang out in the sun. Yes, there were towels on the beach lounges at 6:00 AM to reserve them. Few people used the swimming pools. The Caribbean was actually warmer than the pools. Do take the free snorkeling tour offered 3 times a day at the hotel. Lots of beautiful coral and fish. Lots of Europeans stay at the hotel..Russians, Spaniards, Italians. Also Canadians and South Americans. Some women do go topless...so if you're offended by this, just beware. There were lots of kids and kids activities.
Tip: We took a private van RT from and to the airport. This really cut down on travel time and hastle.

Room Tip: See the narrative above about good room numbers. Be sure to have your travel agent confirm your re...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Lonnie,

Thank you very much for your kind and positive review. We are delighted you enjoyed our calm and relax atmosphere, our rooms and our entertainment. An important part of our effort is to create unforgettable experiences and our entertainment department works hard to offer shows and activities to achieve it.

We appreciate you recommending us and we hope to see you soon again.

Medicine Hat, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We booked a 2 week vacation at the Oasis Resort on the Mayan Rivera (Tulum)this place has many problems to name a few. 1 understaffed since they cater to an Italian travel agency (The VeraClub). The Italians didn't tip the under paid Mexican staff so it was hard for the Resort to keep the help. If you know how little the Mexicans work for you would understand~2 Cockroach's need I say more.
3 sewage problems the stench and sewer backup was a real problem for several vacationing couples in their rooms.4 Lack of maintenance .... several of the rooms were without hot water for several days. Between the two different class resorts the Tulum Oasis and the Grand Oasis neither are very good I would rate them as a 3star for the Grand and less for the Tulum. One thing the snorkelling is Grand as is the beach and sun and sand. Wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

We are truly sorry for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. We appreciate you for taking the time to share your experience; this helps us know our areas of opportunity so we can provide better services to all of our guests.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the future to enhance your experience and perception of the Hotel.

Best regards.

Been to Grand Oasis Tulum? Share your experiences!