“Great experience, wonderful beach and service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Oasis Tulum

You added Grand Oasis Tulum to your Saves list
Grand Oasis Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Chetumal-Puerto Juarez, Km. 251, Akumal 77780, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Over 50% Off Calm Resort!
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Polson, Montana
“Great experience, wonderful beach and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Dulce Ma Ramirez treated me to a wonderful Yoga class every evening on the dock.
Emmanuel was a fantastic server at our meals.
The room had great views, but no operable window-needed fresh air!
The salad bar and fresh fruit were great, but the entrees, bread and dessert were average.
Perfect size resort with great service and incredible beach. We are going back and asking for a room with a balcony next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony with operable window.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Atención C, PR at Grand Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Jennifer:

We are flattered to know that your stay with us has motivated to share such a great review about our hotel.
We are very happy to have met your expectations and that you were able to have an excellent trip. We work hard to create positive experiences for our guests to remember our hotel with a huge smile.

Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Iron Mountain, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Everything was just right. The room was excellent. The food was (even though I am a vegetarian) incredible - I never ran out of choices. We had lots of activities to do...water aerobics with Nidia was great! Even though I don't drink much, the bartenders were great and the service too. I want to go back!

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms are fabulous.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Mary:

Thank you very much for your kind and positive review. We are glad you spent your holiday in our hotel and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It is a pleasure to serve you and make your stay with us an unforgettable experience.
Aurora, Wi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

The Riviera Maya is my favorite vacation spot. I have visited 8 times. This is my third time at the Oasis and we stayed for 10 days. This time I traveled with my elderly parents and a friend. This is the perfect resort as it is not too big, but not too small either. Very easy to get around. The rooms are beautiful. We chose to go with the beachfront rooms...absolutely amazing. The buffet was exceptional. Lots of choices and different every day. We tried two of the other restaurants and they were very good - I also heard from others that all the restaurants were great. My mom is a vegetarian and even when eating at a specialty restaurant, they made a point of making a special meal for her (That is REALLY impressive to me). The restaurant staff are helpful, friendly and very efficient.
Everyone goes on vacation for different reasons. I love the white sand beach and the beautiful water. I love snorkeling! This resort offers free snorkeling trips out to the reef three times a day! The activities/animation crew was PHENOMENAL. Nidia & Dulce guided us every morning and evening through yoga/pilates/stretching/tai-chi. (yoga on a dock at sunset....an experience of a lifetime - Thank you, Dulce!) Nidia offered water aerobics daily. She gave special attention whenever possible to my mother so that she could get the best experience from her classes. Bence and Hector handle snorkeling, games and dance lessons and make every moment fun! These are really amazing people and they take pride helping make visitors enjoy anything they do!
I was a bit apprehensive when I read reviews too. It has been a few years since I visited...and I am happy to report that NONE of the negative things were true on our stay. This property seems to be working very hard to improve service by taking surveys and making corrections. Any requests or concerns that we voiced were resolved or addressed in a very timely manner.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms are amazing!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Aurora:

We are very happy to have met your expectations and that you were able to have an excellent trip. We work hard to create positive experiences in our guests for you to remember our hotel with a huge smile.
Thanks for highlighting those qualities that made your stay unforgettable. It makes us happy to know you enjoyed the restaurants, facilities, entertainment and personalized service we offer.
Wabash, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Three things:

1. Arrived at Grand Oasis Tulum Resort 1/30/14 at approximately 2:30pm. We show up to one employee just staring at us while we unload our luggage and drag it up the stairs and into the lobby ourselves. Once inside the lobby total confusion ensues, where it was rudely explained, "that they have no record of us and we need to step into another lobby so that it may be explained". So, off we go, hauling our luggage into yet another lobby ourselves. I had read previous reviews about this happening but never did I imagine what would happen next. At approximately 3:00 pm our party of 5 was informed that there were NO, ZERO, NADA rooms available for us in either the Grand side or the Oasis side (we had booked w/Grand side originally) and found out that they had knowledge of this info for at least a week prior to our arrival, yet contacted no one w/in our party. We were then informed that we would instead be staying at the Grand Bahia Principe, which would have been fine HAD WE ACTUALLY BOOKED W/GRAND BAHIA PRINCIPE AND NOT THE GRAND OASIS TULUM. Throughout this process never once did one resort manager come out to explain the situation to us, instead they (MGMT) forced hotel staff to take the heat and try to smooth things over.

2. At this point we are tired from traveling and just have to believe what we are being told and go along w/their plans for us (hoping we aren't stranded in Mexico w/no place to stay). I believe the gentleman's name was Moises that set everything in motion. THIS GUY DESERVES A PROMOTION!!!! He was the only person who was as professional as could be and you could tell he honestly felt horrible for the screw up which wasn't even his to be sorry for.

3. Last but not least. I would like to thank The Grand Oasis Tulum for being so inept at running their resort and sending us to the Grand Bahia Principe Tulum. I mean this w/all sincerity. The GRAND BAHIA PRINCIPE TULUM WAS AMAZING!!! If you have time cancel do yourself a favor and reconsider your "stay" (if you even get that far) at Grand Oasis and spend a little more $ down the road (literally).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest:

We would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your opinion about your experience. We regret not having met your expectations and please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences during your stay. All your comments are fully considered in order to improve our range of services and facilities.

We look forward to welcome you again to show you all of the great shows and activities we have planned for you.

Braidwood, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

There were two couples that went to GOT for a week in January I too after reading reviews in Dec wanted to cancel. But as a TA I am open to resorts and checking them out myself...so I made contact with the resort, asked some questions and realized that they were making positive changes almost daily. Arriving at the resort I was impressed...lobby, check in, staff...I thought it was very nice for the rating it was at the time. The resort is an older resort, but with the maintenance it is well kept...yes, there are some areas that could be improved on but this will come as more changes are made. The restaurants were good except for the Steak House...and that was one I would not go back to...yes, I have had steaks in Mexico and they were good...just think the cook was having a horrible night getting anything right. I think some of the reviews here about not having rooms, I believe we met the night you checked in, there is something wrong not with the person you booked with or the vendor but with the system... I did ask some questions the following day about how the resort did not have your reservation...for the group of 9 rooms and also the couples that flew in with my husband from Chicago....I asked how they could be that over booked or not have that many reservations in the system...from my understanding it has to be a glitch in the booking system, not something one person did or the resort did...but the booking system failed. I know that does not help you but I don't think its the resorts fault they did not have your rooms. I am in several groups for travel agents and the stories I have read since I returned home and posted about the GOT not having rooms for so many clients has sparked a lot of talk. I know I will be checking all my clients reservations before they depart.. The resort did have some loud issues while I was there but it was handled quickly. The resort has a lot of potential...the pools were kept clean, the area all around was clean....the wait staff for the beach was wonderful even when it was raining!!! Moisis and Lily you were wonderful taking care of all our needs..lol.....Alfredo the steak house server you did a great job...there are several areas for the grand guests and that is a nice touch..the little coffee shop, the area on top of the building so quiet and always had a breeze...the rooms are nice size, just wish all the ocean front rooms had balconies.. The ice cream area was nice on a hot day!!! The entertainment was good..I did forget to tell management it would be nice if they could move the beach entertainment down a little on the beach so you could see better. the shows were good but it hard to see due to where they took place.

Room Tip: choose your room based on the amenities you like...both sides of the resort are nice but the grand o...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Angie:

We are pleased to greet you and at the same time thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit. Likewise express our appreciation for the flattering words we received from your stay with us.
We are glad you liked and enjoyed our entertainment and our specialized service. Our staff works really hard to make every single one of our guests feel at home and make sure they have an amazing experience.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you once again in the future.
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

I was very concerned reading all of the negative reviews over Dec/Jan to the point I actually made enquiries into changing hotels, luckily my Girlfriend persuaded me not too.

This is our second time to the Riveria Maya and this time we decided that Oasis Tullum sounded excellent for us as it's away from the hustle and bustle of Playa del Carmen. We originally booked a Oasis garden view but upgraded to a Grand Oasis Sea view prior to leaving, I though this was well worth the £190 per person as the Grand side allows you access to the quieter Grand pool, the roof top bar and a larger selection of restaurants.

The Room, this was large airy with a wonderful sea view, no complaints with the hot water, fridge or a/c. The safety deposit box was included with this room and was not an additional cost. The room was cleaned everyday and mini bar stocked regularly.

The beach - wow an amazing beach the grand area is very quiet and roped off from the rest of the beach so is nice to take in the sun and read a book, the sea is rocky in the grand area, but faultless 30 seconds away in the oasis side. In all can't complain about the beach a tip if your looking for a day on the beach head up the coast 30mins to Akumal title beach which is one of the best beaches on the planet you won't be disappointed.

The restaurants, Arrecifes this is the main buffet restaurant very fresh and lots of choice, I can be a fussy eater but found I had no issues. The breakfast is fantastic. Careyes this is the gourmet Mexican restaurant went here once I enjoyed the starter and the desert. Serape this is the traditional Mexican restaurant which serves tacos fajitas etc, good food great atmosphere. Al Sur this restaurant is hidden away and I only found out about this late on, this serves Mediterranean food and was a high slandered all though portions are on the small side. There's also the coffee bar which is good for sandwiches and teas and coffees. The Happy chicken food is excellent as is the Akeru sushi bar. There's also 2 other restaurants Dos Luna's and Accerife teriatza but I never eat at these.

The bars no issues with these, the Martini bar can get a bit busy but the cafe del mar bar on the roof is always quiet and good to chill out. The sport bar is good and shows pretty much every Premier League game which was an added bonus for me as I watched a lot of football also the pool in the case club is generally deserted.

The hotel from what I can see is split into 3 sections the case club which is located 10 minute walk away from the main buildings which offers the most basic rooms then the oasis and Grand side which are located at the beach. Personally I wouldn't of been bothered about staying in any of these however I think the Grand upgrade in all is worth the money. I did speak to people that had been over booked and miss sold rooms so best to check prior to leaving.

To summarise I had an excellent 10 days and would gladly return to this Hotel. I struggled to see why this hotel had such negative reviews........

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for your kind and positive review. We are delighted you enjoyed our activities, shows and restaurants. We will surely congratulate the staff you mentioned for providing an excellent service.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope you can visit us again soon.
Coquitlam, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

First a bit about me.

This was both my girlfriend and I first all inclusive trip to mexico. We aren't the most seasoned travelers but both have realistic/high expectations. I hope this review can shed a little bit on this extremely under rated resort.

If you were like me, terrified of all the awful reviews people give this resort and were paranoid of having a terrible time I hope this review will put you at ease. In short, this place is fantastic.

FYI we bought a private transfer (Canada Transfers you rock!) from Cancun Airport to Grand Oasis Tulum and it was fantastic, highly recommend it to avoid the nuances of being on a bus with lots of stops!

Grand Oasis Tulum is a combination of 2 resorts/hotels at 1 location which I believe causes most of the confusion on this website.

Oasis Tulum, which is approximately a 6 minute walk (we timed it) from where we were staying is technically a part of Grand Oasis as they share amenities. Honestly we were not impressed with this part of the resort as it was underwhelming, their sports bar consisted of a pool table and a single bar. If someone were to expect the grand experience by staying at the regular oasis may be very dissapointed. Fortunately that wasn't the case for us.

We stayed in the Siaan k'aan room which was nothing short of spectacular. Our room was not much more then 20 feet from the ocean and we had our own private patio so their was no need to fight for chairs on the beach. This was ideal as we spent most of our time basking in the sun reading. The room also included a nice (slow to fill mind you) jacuzzi and it was very beautiful. My only gripe was with bathroom, as it was kind of exposed to the rest of the room and personally I like a degree of seperation between the bathroom and rest of the suite...

The Grand Oasis (not to be confused with Grand) itself was beautiful. Constantly being cleaned and up polished and the cleanliness really showed. There were minor common washroom issues (toilets getting plugged) but they were unplugged regularly every day so thats not much to complain about.

The buffet was great! I'm not sure what people expect, but the buffet had a pattern of changing their food every other day so you would always have minor things mixed up for a change of pace. The food was not terrible at all and everyone was very pleasant and did a great job!

You see Grand Oasis Tulum advertised as "the calm resort" and that couldn't be more right. Great for a romantic retreat. Also a big PLUS from what I understand in my limited knowledge is the layout. From our room it was literally no more then a 3 minute walk to all amenities, pools, ice cream (lol) bars beach and this is something that would be very desirable for me (as i have a bad hip and when it is hurting badly last thing i want to do is walk far).

Now last but not least, i have to sing the praises of 2 fine individuals who made our trip very memorable. Lilianna & Moises. Thank you to both of you as you went above and beyond our expectations and were very kind to deal with. I hope nothing but the best for you and serioulsy think you are HUGE assets to Grand Oasis Tulum and the senior staff truly doesn't know how lucky they are to have you!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are great! There was another concierge... vanessa maybe? She seemed kind of useless.

Great all around trip, wouldn't change a thing.

P.S. To the people complaining about.

a) The smell. Mexico pumps raw sewage into the ocean, what do you expect!?
b) The people who complained people were right outside their bedroom, well you should have asked for a room with a patio!

Room Tip: Take the reviews on this site with a grain of salt, people are either 5 out of 5 like me, or 1 out o...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Best regards.

Been to Grand Oasis Tulum? Share your experiences!