“Fantastic time with a few glitches” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Oasis Tulum

Save Saved
You added Grand Oasis Tulum to your Saves list
Grand Oasis Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Chetumal-Puerto Juarez, Km. 251, Akumal 77780, Mexico   |
Special Offer
FREE Upgrade + EXTRAS
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Ball Ground, GA
“Fantastic time with a few glitches”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

First of all I want to say that we are experienced travelers to the Riviera Maya and have stayed at numerous resorts..............with that said we found Grand Oasis Tulum to be close to the top of our wish list.

Going in we were aware of the negative reviews........but the price couldn't be beat for what we booked. We were booked into a Grand Garden view and due to medical issues I cannot do stairs well.

We arrived very early (11am) to hotel and did not expect our room to be ready.........but we were with swim suits and "bubba kegs" packed in our carry on to change.

Edna at the concierge desk was probably one of the most accommodating people we have ever met in Riviera Maya! She checked us in and informed us that she knew we could not handle stairs and that a room would be ready around 3pm...............no problem! Off we went to lunch and exploring...........then pool! Edna came out to the pool to say she had a room ready and wanted us to look at it. It was 1st floor but you had to traverse 6 tile stairs to access it. (Why in the Caribbean all resorts insist on tile floors near water I will never understand.) We determined that this room was probably not a good idea but if they had nothing else it would be fine and we would work around it. She said she was going to talk to her manager. So back to the pool we went. Not 1/2 hour later she was back with a big smile on her face..................we were upgraded to a 1st floor beachfront room with a view to die for! Thank you Edna.

Room:
Gorgeous. Air at time was tooooo cold but we didn't touch thermostat for fear of not getting it back.
Safe had to be changed out and after 3 tries..........success. It is bolted into the floor of the closet and the closing bolt would not work. All done within an hour of calling.
TV had to be changed out and that only took 20 minutes.
Water pressure great............no power blackouts.
Room immaculate and always done before noon except for one day. Fridge stocked daily.
Bed faced picture window out to ocean.

Food:
We usually eat at the buffets as we don't have to dress. However we did eat at Careyes and the Brazilian Steak house. Meals were awesome. I highly suggest the Mexican pre-historic soup at Careyes...........wow!

Service:
My husband had to be taken to the hospital one night due to extreme reaction to a food allergy (sesame). Called front desk and they had the night concierge Vincente (awesome) and another security gentleman who had some medical knowledge come to room. Dr. was called (he was in Playa) and we waited. Vincente was in constant contact with someone on the time of arrival of Dr. and Ambulance. Vincente could not have been more kind and supportive during this whole episode and was concerned about my well being as well as my husbands. Dr. finally came and determined that we needed to go to hospital (read my post in Akumal forum).

The next day we went to concierge desk and Vanessa (another great employee) made us reservations at Careyes and she noted on reservation..............no sesame. When we got to dinner that night not one.............but 3 restaurant employees came to table and notified my husband that the chef made sure no sesame in food. Wow! Now that's caring.

Pools:
We found "our spot" at the quiet pool which is only about 2 foot deep and that's where we stayed most of trip with me on my floatie.
Infinity pool was awesome however one of the rungs of the ladder was missing and a critical point of exit for me (I am very short....and again my knees) so my husband had to come and help me out. Hopefully they get that fixed soon.

As with all resorts there were a few negatives. No one informed us that renovations were taking place on the 2nd and 3rd floors of the garden rooms. The power tool noise was intrusive to a quiet time at the pool. They will have the elevator installed within the next few weeks.

A suggestion would be to have a daily printed "activity" sheet put in all the rooms the night before so people could see what was "really" open and what else was going on. I know they give the little brochure when you check in about meal times, activities...........but this would be up to date. An example: Buffet was not open for lunch most days so "surprise" you either had to eat on patio with limited choice or dry off and go to another restaurant they had set up for lunch. This was not posted and confusing. Also a TV channel guide would be nice.

Lobby could seriously use more lighting at night!!!!!!!!!!

Rained most of the days we were there but of course that's not the resort's fault. Still got a tan!

This resort was the perfect size for us. Beautiful beach, close proximity to all restaurants, and quiet! Our vacation mantra is "feed me, water me, put me to bed!"

A shout out to Ricardo and Hipolita at the beach bar...........you guys are awesome. Luis in housekeeping and Georgio at the buffet.......thank you.

Room Tip: 1st floor ocean view is awesome. You are so close to ocean you feel one really big high tide will t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed here the last week of October. We had 2 days with rain and then great weather to enjoy the fabulous beach and the water. The ocean is warm and "user-friendly", and the pools were warm as long as the sun was out. The location made our whole trip very enjoyable.

We had a 2nd floor room facing the ocean. The view was incredible but we very much missed having a balcony and listening to the waves at night. You need to decide how important this is to you. I don't think I would do that again. Otherwise, the room was fine. Our AC worked very well the entire week, water pressure and temp worked fine, and our room was always cleaned and frig restocked without our having to ask. The floors get very damp, be cautious. To dry your swimsuits, use the rack in the closet, and put it in front of the window in the morning. The bright sun will dry your suits.

We were happy with all of the restaurants, except Italian. The rooftop dinner was fabulous, and we also liked Careyes. We could not seem to get into Al Sur. Be aware that the Brazilian menu is pre-set and mainly different meat on kabobs. It was very heavy. Also desserts were not the best except the ice cream. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet and always sat outside. We love cats so enjoyed seeing them.

Drinks were hit and miss depending on your bartender. They all try hard but there is only so much that can be done with the mixers they have. Unfortuately the health bar was closed our entire week. This was very disappointing as we like fresh fruit in our drinks. They did not even have bananas to add to drinks. I advise staying away from the mango drinks as they had a very bad aftertaste. The Bahama Mamas were OK and the kahlua and cream was OK. We often ordered champagne because it was consistent and we knew what we were getting. I also would get coffee from the coffee shop and then bring it to the bar for their "Bailey's alternative" to be added.

The location is fantastic. It was very easy to take the collectivo to the Tulum Ruins. We used pesos, and it was $60 pesos for 2 round-trip, and the same for Akumal. We walked the beach into Akumal and it was not a hard walk but be sure to have water shoes on. We swam in the bay - beautiful! and had lunch at La Buena Vida. This was by far our best meal of the trip. We had one order of Ceviche and one order of fish tacos, and they were both fantastic. Also we ordered their fruit smoothies with a shot of rum and they were the best drinks of the trip as well. This is well worth the trip. We then took the collectivo back to the resort, and again was very easy to do. We found the same souvenirs at the airport as they had in the shops in Akumal, and they were cheaper, and the liquor also was cheaper at the airport.

We used Canada Transfers and I highly recommend them. Everything went very smoothly and the customer service in the planning phase, as well as the travel time, was extraordinary.

Overall, if you are not expecting a high-level food and drink experience, I think this resort offers alot for the price. It was much lower to get an ocean-front room here than other places, and I really liked the small size and intimacy of the resort. It was easy to find food and the food was adequate, and very good in some circumstances. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, particularly Hector, Noe, Jorge, Orlando, and Manuel at breakfast.

Room Tip: Take advantage of the location and go to the Tulum Ruins and Akumal.
Raymore, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The short version: This place is great; a beautiful beach, nice contemporary hotel, and flowing drinks and food. It has a problem with consistency but relax and go with it.

The full version: We spent a week here with a group of 13. I was very weary because of the sporadic reviews here on TripAdvisor. It seemed one would like it, then two would complain. I even called the travel agent about changing resorts but we were in our penalty phase, so we weren’t interested in losing money! Our entire group is glad we did not move hotels, and we all had a wonderful time! I’ll try to address a few of my worries before we went.

First off, the hotel is beautiful, as are the grounds and beach. All of the employees are professional. There are a few odd things with the hotel, but you are in Mexico and out of your element. The first is that there is no elevator. Actually, there is but it is out of order and boarded up. While laying at the pool one day I noticed it, otherwise I may not have realized at one time there was one. No elevator doesn’t matter; the hotel is only 3 stories high. I was on the ground floor so it really didn’t matter to me!

We had a ground floor room. I hopped out the pivoting wall (details below) and we were 19 steps to the water! Amazing! Seriously, you are so close to the water that if a tsunami came at night, you’re a goner! There are no ocean front balconies! This seems to be a point of confusion; there are balconies by the pool but NONE oceanfront. Don’t believe whatever you might interpret on their website, or what your travel agent might say. No Ocean front balconies! Every ocean front room has this huge glass panel (probably 12 foot wide by 9 foot tall). If you are on the ground floor you can get the key from the front desk to unlock it. This huge panel has a pivot in the middle that allows the entire thing to twist with half coming into the room and half hanging out on the beach. It is a little awkward but really cool to have the beach and ocean almost become part of your room! The rooms are decorated and furnished really cool with use of thick glass as doors and walls. We were able to go into several rooms since there were 13 of us, and there were several different setups. The room has a mini fridge that was always stocked and plenty of towels and toiletries. The only down part of the room would have to be the smell of mildew. We got used to it immediately, but every time we came in we smelled it briefly. I didn’t use the drawers as they were stronger with it and my clothes would have soaked it up. There is plenty of space and shelves in the closet, so we used that instead. It is crazy humid in Mexico and when you open the pivoted wall the floor feels like it has a ¼” of water on it almost immediately. That may be the reason for the mildew smell. Also, the wall didn’t seal up well and during a storm one night the tile floor got wet in the area in front of the pivoting wall. None of these things are deal breakers and we just chalked it up to being in a different country!

None of the common areas are air conditioned except the lobby. It was air conditioned one day or 2. BUT, why does this matter? I’m not hanging out in the lobby, if you plan to then you should go on vacation to Oklahoma or Minnesota! None of the restaurants were air conditioned either, but they were fine and usually had an outdoor seating or a huge glass panel that was open. You are on the beach! Relax and enjoy it! We dressed up (slacks, button ups, and shoes) one evening then wore shorts and collared shirts the other evenings and were fine in any of the bars or restaurants. Now this is where things get a little odd.

The restaurants and bars are very inconsistent. They either do not know what they are serving or just make something up and serve it. We had lots of different pina coladas and the flavor ran all over the place! They are essentially free, so we kinda enjoyed the “mystery”! When eating, expect a long wait unless you are at the buffet! I mean 1.5 hours at least! At dinner, the food was usually close to what it was called, but sometimes it was completely wrong. They told us cheesecake was for dessert one evening, and what came out was some brownie/oatmeal thing. The next evening they mentioned cheesecake and we all stayed away from it knowing it was a brownie/oatmeal thing, but then we noticed another table ordered it and it actually was cheesecake! I think they serve whatever they have and rely on the communication barrier for grace! We ate the buffet two nights, the Italian one night, Brazilian once, and Mediterranean the last night. The last night was the best because of the service, the presentation, the atmosphere (in the rooftop bar), and the servers. We had our own bartender and server who were wonderful! The food is all fine no matter where you go, just realize it’s a little different. Look at it like a version of whatever you are ordering! Don’t expect Grandma’s spaghetti from a hotel in Mexico! We had lunch one day at the seafood place closest to the beach. It was great. They have a late night snack area open from 9 or 11 until 1. This is filled with all the left overs from the restaurants. Breakfast was always at the buffet and the best thing I found was the omelets the chef makes. Really good; he uses the eggs to form a burrito almost with all your stuff inside. Drinks are weird so just bring a bottle of water. Speaking of water, we called ahead and were assured the water was filtered. I stuck to bottled water and watched various others in our group drink the water. I accidentally started drinking the water 2 days before we left. No one ever had any issues because of it out of 13 of us! The ice is all in bags so we ate/drank that the entire time.

We had 4 from our group go out fishing with the guys that have their boats out on the beach. This was separate from the hotel and booked directly through the guys on the boats. I believe they paid $160 for 3 hours. They caught 3 good size Barracuda and the chef at the hotel cleaned and cooked them up for us. It took an hour longer than he told us (normal for the food service here) but it was amazing and you should definitely do this if you can!

I asked some of the employees if they had electricity problems because of the other reviews I read here. Most of them laughed and said the whole region had some. We even had our travel company call before we left, when TripAdvisor had me freaking out, and they acknowledged that the whole region had as well. We did not have any issues with electricity. However, the air conditioner in our room worked amazing the first 3 nights then couldn’t catch up the last 2. But, many of our friends mentioned that our room was quite a bit cooler than theirs, but we had ours pretty cold. No one ever complained about any air issues, just that our room was cold. Nice problem to have in humid Mexico!

The band confusion: We stayed and booked the Grand Oasis. We had black bands and could eat/drink wherever and whatever was open. I spoke with a concierge and he mentioned they have 4 colors of adult bands and 2 for kids. One for Grand, 1 for Oasis, and 2 different ones for 2 travel companies. I know that they were putting some or all of the people in the Grand Oasis rooms, and the Oasis seemed a little deserted. Who cares, I’d call that a smart use of facilities. We still had our “Grand” bracelets if we thought we needed to feel privileged or something. None of it was ever an issue.

Beach equipment: When looking at their website it mentions kayaks and snorkeling. There are no kayaks and no loaner snorkel equipment. They will come by and take you on a free snorkel trip, but if you just ask for snorkel gear they say they do not have any. 4 of us brought our own, and a few stopped and got some on a trip into Playa. Make sure you have some sort of sandal or show if you head out to snorkel; lots of rocks and urchins. It is beautiful snorkeling though. We went on a Tulum and snorkel trip that took us to a beach with turtles, and outside of seeing a few turtles and stingrays, the snorkeling at the hotel beat it big time!

Overall the employees seemed very happy and helpful. I remember Alma, and Hector, and Carlos were all awesome. Hugo sucks most of the time with his slamming your drinks, rolling of eyes, and looking right past you so management, do yourself a favor and get rid of him! I don’t care if he’s the owners’ son, which he must be for you to put up with it! All the other bartenders and servers are awesome and want you to be happy. We took plenty of ones and tipped everyone. No one ever expected it and was always grateful and never made a big deal out of it or the amounts. I know it says it’s included but what is $50 over the course of 4 days?

So in closing, this is a beautiful hotel. The food is fine, drinks are fine, and you will have a good time. You will have to go to the bar to get your drinks if the hotel is busy, or if you drink them fast, and the drink flavors differ, and it is hot in the common areas, but come on! You are on vacation in a foreign country! Relax and take it all in! I would go again and if I stayed elsewhere, that place would be compared constantly to this place. I’m not sure how well another place down there would stack up!

Room Tip: Ask to be upgraded when you arrive!
Dear Guest:

It is a pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your vacations in our hotel and that you received such excellent service.
We are proud to say we have a team always ready to give their best at all times to make every single one of our guests feel at home and make sure they have a wonderful vacation. We will certainly congratulate them for their amazing job.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you again on your next visit.
Ogden, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I don't normally review...but felt I had to due to the extreme circumstances, plus I know I weighed my choice of resort so heavily on Trip Advisor reviews!
Our vacation began at Grand Oasis Tulum....expecting 7 days of fun and feeling 'grand'! That wads NOT the case. Grand Oasis Tulum was practically closed. We paid for the grand side, yet they upgraded practically everyone to grand just to fill that side of hotel instead of both. Only one restaurant open....it was buffet, and it was horrible, couldn't even find anywhere to order a drink to go with dinner! We lasted ONE night, on the most uncomfortable bed ever, there before we gave up and they transferred us to Grand Oasis Cancun. (Side note...this must happen a lot as they have a entire CLUB name for the transfer-Runaway Club) false advertising on web and on paperwork been inside your room...as they listed restaurants they didn't even have, plus restaurants that didn't even serve what they advertised. One place for breakfast, only one place for dinner...we didn't even last to figure out where to eat for lunch before we HAD to vacate. Hotel was beautiful, however far from everything...and we even joked that they didn't pay their power bill because it was so dark inside and out.

Grand Oasis Cancun is huge...but dated. We stayed directly in Pyramid, however had access to entire resort. More restaurants but still difficult to find food when wanted, all restaurants and bars have only certain hours and days open, which change without ANY notice. Plus difficult to find bars to get drinks. No hot tub can be found on entire resort grounds.
No one could speak English, making it very difficult to even order food, drinks, or find other amenities within resort. Many times we'd ask how to find someplace and was told to go here or there...only to find that that person pointed us on the wrong direction. We understand the language barrier, as we are foreigners...but we have traveled a lot, but felt the barrier was over the top at this resort.
They call themselves the entertainment resort, however the day of the shows, they would cancel them, making the entertainment very difficult to find.
This is more of a low end hotel than an All Inclusive resort. Never once felt like I was staying at more than a Hampton Inn with a continental breakfast. Very disappointed!

Save your money or spend a little more and go to Dreams or Secrets or someplace else.

Dear Stefanie:

We are truly sorry you had an unpleasant experience during your vacations. We appreciate you for taking the time to share your comments; this helps us know our areas of opportunity so we can provide better services in the future.

Furthermore, we would like to let you know we are very devoted with our guests, and the staff is committed to understand, help and satisfy all of your needs. Thank you for letting us know the inconveniences you had so we can enforce and improve the service, since your comfort and satisfaction is really important to us.

We reiterate once again our sincere apologies for any setbacks you experienced and hopefully you can give us another opportunity to welcome you again so we can enhance your perception of our hotel.
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Fourth time visiting the Riviera Maya but first time staying in an Oasis property. Will definitely be back! Absolutely gorgeous beach, beautiful hotel and fantastic food. We were very pleasantly surprised by the excellence in service and food.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for your comment. We are glad you had an excellent stay and that you enjoyed the activities and facilities.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

If you are looking for a place where service is attentive and personalized, this is a great place to be. Thanks especially to Ingrid at guest services and Manuel Beh at Carreyes. Same applies for the beach which is gorgeous and snorkelling right off the beach. If you are looking for a small hotel away from the hussle of Cancun and Playa del Carmen this is where you want to go. HOWEVER, if you look for a speak an span clean room without mildew smell (consider, you are just next to the ocean!), gourmet cuisine and luxury, go somewhere else. For exemple, go to the Royal Cancun and pay the price for it!! (But please reviewers, do not compare this hotel to the ones that cost 3 times the price).
On the negative side: the hotel management needs to consider that if you pay for Grand Oasis Tulum Ocan View it is very disturbing to get all the clients that were upgraded from the Oasis Tulum. Those guests do not look for a calm, quite place - remember please, the grand side is advertised as the calm resort. It is very disturbing to have to eat while bear bellied drunk people sit in front of the restaurant with their feeds on the tables, making noise, while others charm the waiters that should actually serve you! I understand that it is good for the hotel to save, and great for the guests from the Oasis Tulum, but it is really terrible for the guests that booked Grand Oasis Ocan View . The hotel management should better separate the 2 hotels which attract guests looking for very different holidays. The management calls the Grand Oasis Tulum their "CALM resort" which it was not. Otherwise, we were very pleased with the place as it gave us what we were looking for - great beach, snorkelling, small persona hotel with extremely kind personnel. We will be back!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Gisela:

We're pleased to hear your comments about our service and this motivates us to keep improving and so ensure a high quality service. We look forward to welcome you again in our hotel where we welcome you with open arms and the satisfaction of seeing him again.

Once again, thank you for your trust in us.
Polo, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I would suggest staying on the Grand side in the Sian Kaan rooms. We were treated like royalty! Our room opened up to the beautiful white sand and the ocean was a few steps away.
In our room category we were able to order on the premium side of the menu which made for some delicious food although we found the buffet very good also. We had a couple issues in which the concierge team worked with us and more than satisfactorily compensated for.
Our room smelled a little musty but it had been raining a lot when we arrived. It was kept clean and well stocked. It seems like the air conditioning could be better some of the restaurants and lobby were stuffy. If you can have a romantic dinner on the beach it was so beautiful and delicious. It was one of the highlights of our stay. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. We really enjoyed our stay

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Grand side in the Sian Kaan category room on the 1st floor so we could open our door...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Atención C, PR at Grand Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Linda:

It will be a pleasure for us to welcome you again on your next visit.
Best regards.

Been to Grand Oasis Tulum? Share your experiences!