“Destination Wedding Mexico” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa

You added Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Special Offer
15% off + Webcome Package
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Destination Wedding Mexico”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

Our destination wedding to these three resorts was the best choice. The wedding staff at the hotel was very understanding and accommodating. Each and every detail was covered in advance. Communication prior to arrival proved difficult in the beginning. Email was the most convenient method.
The wedding packages are negotiable. The wedding was catered to our every request. The staff was very professional, except for the random towel boy cat calling to a girl.The beach was clean. The buffet gets redundant, but the hotel policy of unlimited sit-down meals makes for an interesting time eating at each of the many restaurant styles. The private honeymoon villas deep within Kantenah are spacious luxurious.
I would return to this resort if there were not so many other interesting ones to explore next.

• Stayed August 2010
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 25, 2010
Dear ape-a-dape,
Thank you so much for your comments. It's a pleasure for us to know your enjoyed you visit to the Grand Palladium and of course to know that you have had a good wedding here. Thank you for your comments to our wedding staff. They works hard every day and I will pass these comments to them. Thanks to the comments, we can improve every day.
Thank you again and please don't hesitate to contact with us if you decide to visit us again in the future.

King regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Polish first
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

We were at the Grand Palladium White Sands November 6th to the 13th. My husband, 11 year old and I had a fabulous time. This is our second time at this resort and we are already planning our next trip back. Food is amazing, the rooms and grounds are well kept and THE STAFF are world class! From the reception to the waiters to the people that work on the grounds, they always have an HOLA! or a smile and a greeting for you. We also loved that reception Luis at the colonial Lobby recognizes us and always call us by our last name. Luis made a note to make sure that the management know that we are return visitors and they sent us a fruit basket to our Hotel room, very nice gesture. We have made friends with a few people that work at the Hotel like Enrique that helped us go throught he club membership. We always felt safe when we are at this hotel. The perimeters of the resorts are guarded to make sure that guest always feel safe (not that there is anything to worry about) . I like the live bands at the beach(5 thumbs up) and the Lobbies (esp. mariachi band) and the shows are just fab. Love, love this hotel and the Mexicans people!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Thank you jan_girlToronto for taking time to give us your opinion about your holidays and about our service. I would like to thank you for your positive comments about the Grand Palladium. I really appreciate that you enjoyed your holidays. I will take note about your comments and I will send them to our staff. We are continuously working in order to keep our guest expectations high and the comments that we receive from our guests help us to know if we are on the right path.
I hope that you decide to spend your next vacation with us and if there is anything that we can do, please let me know or send me an email.

Best regards,
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

We had a great vacation here, and I would instantly recommend it to anyone.

This place is 1 or 4 hotels connected in the same property. Be sure to check out the reviews for Grand Palladium Colonial, Riviera and White Sands. We booked Kantenah, but we were put in the Coloinal villa. Although each is advertised as a different hotel, Kantenah/Colonial and WhiteSands/Riviera share the same pool.
I would suggest booking the cheapest one, then you will get access to all the facilities for all 4 hotels anyway. The only difference I saw was that the rooms at White Sands / Riviera were bigger, and you can get houses right by the water. We spent the most time at the Colonial. They also have the Royal Suites, which is something completely different, but still has access to all 4 areas, but has they own private cabanas and other special perks.

What I loved about the hotel was that you can always find a quiet spot somewhere, there were 2 main pools, and Adult pool and a salt water pool. If you want an active environment, go to the main pools, otherwise find a quiet spot on the beach or on the side pools.

We also noticed a change in pace. It was really slow and empty when we got there on Fri - Monday. It really picked up after that.

The place is well maintained. very clean, and always saw folks cleaning the windows, scooping up things from the pool, sweeping, stocking and re-stocking things, etc etc

There were also so many animals in their semi-natural habitat. I'm a sucker for furry things. Mongoose, fish, raccoons, funny squirrel things with no tails and iguanas sunbathing by the pool. There is also a crocodile pond and flamingo/duck pond.

GETTING AROUND/CHECK IN&OUT
- everything in all 4 hotels was close by. Maybe a max 10 minute walk using the pathways. They also had a shuttle tram that came by, but seemed too infrequent and sometimes walked instead.
- they have shuttle stops everywhere, and can take you lobby to lobby, or straight to your villa
- checking in was a breeze, and they walk you through all the policies and rules and things available to you
- checking out you just call the bellboy and they will pick up your luggage and put it at the front. there is always someone watching the luggage there.

THE ROOM
- big, high ceilings, each had a balcony
- ceiling fan and air con. Only turns on with a key. Air con will turn off if you open the balcony door
- mini fridge stocked with 4 beers, drinking water, pop - restocked daily
The bad: shower had low pressure and water temperature was never constant, didn't get the towel animals from the housekeeping, garbage was not emptied daily, nor did they put bags in it

THE FACILITIES
- 2 main pools: one at each lobby complex with activities centre in each. They run contests, games and lessons. All of which you can win a bottle of tequila. Super fun, and the staff are really friendly.
- Adult pool at the Colonial - always a nice quiet space to hang out. Pool is usually empty, but small
- Favourite: Salt water pool. Had the furniture you can only get in the Royal suites area - cabana beds and nice sun chairs. Great for swimming in the sea/beach especially when it's really windy. The bad: they kept repeating the same cd over and over again
- TIP: when going there, go along shore, and there is a really nice rocky cove from the main beach area to the salt water pool. Very romantic.
- BEACH: white powdery sands, plenty of sun chairs, thatched huts to hide under, hammocks every few steps
We never had a problem finding a place to settle down.
- SPA : amazing. must visit. They have hot tubs, sauna/steam rooms, among other specialty pools - all available for guests with no additional charge. They also have a very nice outdoor pool and big fitness centre.
Also, massage/salon services for extra charge. Grab a fresh fruit on the way out!
(The only bad thing was that there was no change room, just 2 extra large stalls in each bathroom. I guess they figure you were wearing your bathing suit anyway. There are lockers)
- highly recommend getting a massage on the beach (same cost as in the spa) $1 per minute - can get $30 for 30mins back/neck/shoulders. so relaxing and the lady was very good. Told her to do Deep Tissue and it was amazing. She can also do Swedish.
SPORTS
- Catamaran is free if you know how to sail it. $40 for 1 hr lesson.
- Snorkeling is free for 1 hr after signing a waiver
- Near the colonial main pool on the beach you'll find this area, and they can also take you on a snorkel tour for $80, but I would suggest snorkeling around the sea by the beach. Still lots to see!
- Sports centre has tennis, soccer, football, archery, shuffleboard, mini golf (terrible and lacks creativity)
- The bad: Planned activities were sometimes hard to find, kayak/canoe tour of the Riveria had a rickety boat and difficult to balance in
- They also seemed to have a very good teen/kids program
- Staff really friendly.

FOOD
- not amazing, but pretty good.
- loved the breakfast buffet, lots of variety.
- Dinner buffets were themed each night and seemed to have lots of variety too. can get freshly grilled meats upon request
- lunch and snack buffets by the pool. usually hot dogs, hamburgers and paella but you can always find something
- 6 a la carte restaurants in different hotels, but only 4 are open at a time. check with reception before going. No reservation is required, but I would highly suggest you go early, or try to make a reservation anyway. (It was easy to get a table earlier in the week at 6pm, but later on, at 8pm, always required at least 45 min wait)
- Chinese and Japanese Restaurant - if you have any discernible taste in Asian food, or have tried either cuisines before, do not come here.(e.g. miso wonton soup, was a miso soup with a soggy spring roll in it, my salmon was with cream sauce, sushi - cream cheese stuffed rice). Everything was too salty.
Would recommend the Japanese Tappenyaki, if you have to go at all - they did put on a great show
- Mexican Restaurant was good
- Punta Emilia - Restaurant by the beach - Requires reservations. Very good. excellent service. also have raccoon visitors!

ENTERTAINMENT
- superb entertainment staff!
- nightly show at both hotel complexes - one after another
- sometimes the show would be a games show with audience participation - to win a bottle of tequila. Might sound lame, but it's hilarious and must watch/participate!
- the dancers are really quite talented. would really recommended scheduling dinner around being able to watch these shows
- discotheque was lame - and just like any regular north american club
- lobby band in Colonial was great, and can dance salsa/latin music!

SHOPPING
- market stalls around each of the hotel lobbies almost each night, but they move around. Most likely you'll find the same guy in a different lobby every few nights.
- you can bargain with them as much as you'd like, but would suggest going to the hotel store to get a baseline
- hotel store sells are quite decent prices - and they could be 50% off the ticketed price!
- don't make the same mistake as me! I went off the tagged price to bargain with the market, just to find out later it was actually 50% off at the store, and the store was cheaper despite my very hard bargaining.
- there are a couple clothing, jewellery and ceramic stalls by the beach. you can bargain with them too.

TIPS:
- drinking water is always available at the reception, just go an ask anyone
- they have a shower room in the lobbies, so you can check out and still go swimming until you have to leave
- if you want, need extra towels, visit the spa and take the towel with you. They don't give or receive towel cards.
- went in Nov. Temperature is 24-30 degrees. First few days was cold at night. Bring a big sweater. Last few days was warm, could go out in a tank top
- everyday there are photographers that come around with a big animal you can take a photo with. No obligation to buy, but can view the photo at anytime at the photoshop (in each lobby) 8X11 glossy print is $12USD.
- gets windy around 3-4pm. Sunset around 5pm.

Feel free to PM me to ask any questions, but I would not hesitate to recommend here to anyone. We went on an excursion and saw other pick ups at other hotels, and from the looks of it, I liked ours the best.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear pikachiu132,
Thank you for taking time to give us your opinion about your last holidays. We really appreciate the great comments that you made about our resorr, staff and service.
We are working every day for improve our service that we provide to our clients. I read all of your comments and I will appreciate if you can to send me more information about your reservation so I could check the incidents with the room. I will pass your comments about the food to our chefs.
Thank so much again for your time and if you decide to visit us again, please don't hesitate to contact with us.

Tinley Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

We stayed at the Grand Palladium (Riviera Maya) from 09/30-10/07/10. I travel with my husband of 41 years. He booked the resort without knowing much about it, but our travel agent said we would be impressed and we made a great decision. We stayed at the Kantenah area and had access to the complete resort except one small area The Royal. What a resort!

Prior to our stay we checked out all the reviews and were told to make sure we had comfy shoes, for there was a lot of walking. This is an absolute must! There is a train and golf carts that will take you where you want to go. The train will take you to the various lobbies; the golf carts will take you to your villa. We felt walking was a good chance for a little exercise so we only used the train in the evening when we were tired.

We had a Jr. suite with a King bed and a sofa that pulled out into a bed, a mini bar and a separate bathroom. There was a whirlpool tub in the bathroom, and a hair dryer. The room was nicely decorated, however, it was time to change the sofa out. It was a little dirty and a bit tattered. I just kept my luggage on it and we never used it to sit on. The A/C worked very well for Mexico, but it was not extremely warm in the evenings and early mornings.

The grounds were beautiful and impeccably kept. You must remember at the time of year we traveled it is down time and a lot of maintenance is being done. The mangrove walkways were pretty cool. Some of the walkways through the jungle have a thatched roof and we repeatedly saw the staff dusting the inside to keep spiders and webs clear. They are lighted at night and during the day you can see plenty of wildlife since this is an Eco property. There is an Orchid Orchard. Unfortunately nothing was in bloom. The flamingo pond was very nice; one day there were white swans with the flamingos. Just walking around the complex was a nice treat. There are tons of bearded dragons everywhere. There was a male and female that lived at the pool and we fed them flowers.

The food was excellent. The buffet restaurant had a well-rounded menu for dinner including freshly grilled salmon, grouper, tuna, lollipop lamb chops, steak and prawns. We had smoked salmon at breakfast along with made to order eggs (omelets, fried etc). The sit down dinners were also fantastic. We ate at the Brazilian, Mediterranean and Italian restaurants. I told my husband I would go to any of the restaurants except the Brazilian because each time we tried this fare at another resort it wasn’t very good. Make sure you try the Brazilian if you are a meat lover. The meat was cooked to perfection. They served turkey, steak, beef brisket, lamb, rabbit, pork chorizo and chicken. We were so happy with the dinner buffets that we did not try any of the remaining sit down restaurants. There are no reservations needed except at the Italian restaurant. We were not limited to the times we could eat at the sit down dinners. Sunday afternoon we had Paella at the beach bar. Paella was also served on the buffet for dinner.

The pool was very nice with the swim up bar. It was on of the largest pools I have ever been in at a resort and very clean (no sand or bugs). Hugo the bar tender was a lot of fun. Spend some time with him and you will agree. We never had any problems finding lounge chairs at the pool. There were plenty. We had a lot of fun playing water polo and volleyball with the activities staff. We took the Hobbie Cat out daily as well as the kayaks. There is excellent snorkeling on one side of the beach.

The staff was excellent and willing to please. One evening the ice maker in our building was out, we called the desk to find out about getting ice and they sent someone up wit about 5 pounds of ice. The ice machine was fixed by the next evening. They even gave us a follow-up call to make sure everything was taken care of.

There were two things I would like to address. The resort advertises top shelf imported liquor. There was none to be found. We certainly had plenty of choices, but not top shelf. We were also disappointed that there was no butter. Every time we asked the wait staff for butter we were given margarine. I feel that the high rating this resort was given and the fact that they went all out with the food, it would be appropriate to serve real butter with the meals.

Don’t let these two things top you from going to this resort. It was FANTASTIC. I strongly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2010
Thank you Moony12 for taking time to give us your feedback about your last holidays at Grand Palladium. I am really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I would like to let you know that we will send that information to all our staff that made that our guest enjoyed their vacations with us.
I would like to say you that in the different services at the buffet, we have butter and margarine. I don't know what happened but I will check this with our maitre. Also, I would like to say you that we have national and internacional drinks in all bars and premium drinks at Churchill & Hemingway bar.
Please, if you will plan to come back here and if I can help you with your reservation or anything else

Kind regards,
New Windsor, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

I visited this resort at the end of June for 8 days with my boyfriend. I've read mixed reviews on this website and I'm happy to say I would disagree (with most points). The airport was interesting. You end up having to be rude to ppl trying to see you things. We just walked straight ahead and basically plowed through the vendors. The ride to the hotel was also interesting. It's about an hr and a half drive (get the transportation! It's worth it.) You see nothing on the way, until you get to the resorts. It's like a different world once you enter the gates. Also, expect to see armed police along the road. Not something we were used to, but it's "normal" in Mexico.
In regards to the resort, the grounds were beautifully manicured and the workers are constantly working on making the premise look amazing. They have all different wildlife which are harmless and cool to see. Definitely use the Spa! It's free (unless you get a massage). But that was a good way to kill time on a nasty day. Also, the activity area was cool too. They have different sports to play. The mini golf was extremely "makeshift." But it made for entertainment. The course was terrible so we made the best of it and started to play basketball, trying to shoot the golf balls in.
In regards to the workers, the front desk was very nice and the workers were all very nice. We never encountered someone with an attitude. The food was okay. Not wonderful (remember a five star resort in the US is much different than a Mexican 5 star resort). The food did get old after awhile, but we could always find something to eat. For the sit downs, get there early! We found that 5pm was good. We went between 6-9pm the first few days and could barely get in. I really liked the Mexican and Brazillian. The italian was pretty "fake italian." Again, you get what you pay for, it's all edible. The buffets were fine as well. Always something to find. The alcoholic drinks were usually very weak (but then again, that's to be expected.) If you sit in the lobbies of any hotel (you have access to all hotels) a server comes around for a drink order and some lobbies have music which is soothing. You are given a wrist braclet when you get to the resort which you have to wear the whole time. Most people have the same color. We didn't feel that we were treated any differently from the honeymooners, or the Elite.
The only downfall that was serious to me was the bed in the room. The bed was incredible hard and difficult to sleep on. I ended up requesting extra pillows and sleeping with the pillows under my back. The other downfall was the fact that since the floors are all marble (and beautiful!), when they get drenched (since it rains constantly in Mexico), the floors become a "Slip and Slide." I fell and hurt my back pretty badly. I got a nasty bruise the following day which lasted all week. The hotel management did not even acknowledge the fall and until I complained about the floors, did they pay any attn. Since the pillows in the room were not soft, I requested extra down pillows which I ended up using for my back and head :-)
Oh, and our phone never worked so we walked alot since we couldn't reach anyone. And we had a leak in the ceiling but someone came very quickly to fix that. The mini fridge had soda which was fine and the water was for drinking. We didn't get ill until we came home. Travel with immodium just to be safe.
Lastly, go on an excusion! So worth the money! We went to Tulum and Xel-Ha and had an amazing time at both places. Tired at the end of the day, and got great photos, memories etc...
Overall, I'd say it's great for the money! The pools were great too. Finding a chair was hard to do after a certain time so get there early. And you get a towel card which you swap for a towel which are also hard to get after a certain time. Getting there by noon - we were okay. Don't loose the towel card, it's a $20 fee if you do. Otherwise, have fun!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

I should have written this review when we had just returned from Kantenah! But late is better than never.
The flight and hotel transfer were fine (in my opinion that has nothing to do with the hotel). The transfer was quite long, if I remember it was over and hour. We flew Air Canada
Who: My husband and I travelled to Mexico with friends that we met while on vacation in Jamaica (Couples Negril) two years ago. Myself and our friend were both pregnant at the time. I was 28w pregnant and my friend was 20w pregnant. Our goal for the trip was to relax and enjoy our last vacation sans babies! ;) (note: although we were pregnant, both my friend and I are in excellent shape. I think the amount of walking would have been a bit less bothersome non-pregnant but it is just a HUGE complex!)
When: We travelled at the end of December 2009 – January 2010. We were there for New Years Eve. The New Years party was ‘ok’...nothing to write home about! The hotel was beautifully decorated for the Christmas holidays!
Arrival: We arrived at the hotel around 10pm (maybe a bit later) and there was basically nothing open for dinner at this point. So we had to eat greasy fried food at the Beach Cafe. After this we went to bed.

Departure: We did not ask to keep our room until close to our 3pm departure. We packed up our belongings and took them to the front lobby. We spent the rest of the morning lounging by the pool. I think we left the hotel about 4hrs before our flight departed.

Hotel: It is a MASSIVE complex. It is 4 or 5 hotels in 1. I believe the Kantenah is the ‘lowest’ star rating of all of the hotels. We did not see all of it. We could not have possibly seen it all it was just far too big. There is a ‘train’ that comes around to pick up ppl for transfers between the different areas of the complex. You can eat at ANY of the restaurants on the complex.

Rooms: Average. There was a king size bed and a sitting area. Pretty basic rooms. We did email the resort in advance to request a specific building based on its proximity to the pool, or so we thought. Nothing is close to anything at this resort it is just FAR TOO BIG!!! A LOT OF WALKING!

Restaurants: The buffet was great for breakfast! There was always a GREAT selection of food. The A la carte restaurants were good, however expect to wait and wait and wait to get in. There were SEVERAL nights where we were told the wait was going to be 1+hrs and so we ended up just going to eat at the buffet b/c my Buddha Belly needed food! The restaurants weren’t even full...they just did not have the wait staff to have them running at full capacity!

Beach : Lovely! The water was warm and VERY clear. We never had a problem finding 4 chairs to occupy!

Pool: Nice but loud! I also got really frustrated with ppl coming and setting up camp next to us for the day and then lighting up cigarettes all day. I was pregnant! I didn’t want to be inhaling smoke! I found this to be really disrespectful! Would they do that with a little baby sitting next to them too? Back to the pool...the water was pretty cool. There were always activities to do around and in the pool!

Food: I got terrible food poisoning from the lunch Buffet! I always get sick (except when I go to Jamaica) from the food! Let’s just say I begged my husband to get me home as I was concerned about the baby. I was sick out of ‘both ends’ so to speak for about 24hrs! I had major cramping and I felt sorry for the cleaning staff of our room the next day! I have to admit I judge resorts based on their food and my experience with the food. Otherwise I think the food was just 'ok'. Even at the A la carte restaurants the food wasn't anything special.

Gym/Spa: I did not use the gym, although I usually do work out on holidays. The gym looked well equipped and it is located at the “spa” area. I did however use the Spa. My husband got a massage. They would not do a massage for me b/c I was pregnant so I opted for a facial and a pedicure (they were very relaxing!). We also used the water treatments which we nice.

Excursions: couldn't do much b/c I was pregnant. They didn't want to risk me going into labour while on some boat...totally understand and appreciate this! We did go to 5th Ave in town and it was A LOT OF FUN!!!

Huge resort leaves much to desire - the service just wasn't what I expected! I think this hotel complex is far too big and they are not able to provide exceptional service with this many rooms!

This was my first trip to Mexico and I think it will be my last for some time. Next timem I go I am going to try a smaller more boutique-y hotel to get the ambiance I am looking for.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 15, 2010
Dear sarbek for taking time to give us your opinion about your last holidays at Grand Palladium. I appreciated your comments about the hotel and the service and I would like to say you that all positive and negative comments are good for us. This comments help us for improve our service every day.
If in the future you chance your opinion and you decide to visit again this big resort, please don´t hesitate to contact with us.
Again, thank you for your comments. If you need more information or you would like to give more details about your stay you can contact me.

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

We went to the Grand Palladium in June with a group of two adults and four teenagers. It was such a fun trip. The resort is beautiful, not to mention huge. The check-in was super easy and the room was nice. It was really comfy and none of us had any problem sleeping. Always very clean and the mini bar was restocked daily.

We tried the buffets and some of the restaurants. The breakfast buffets were fantastic, but the lunch and dinner buffets were okay. It wasn't great food, but it wasn't uneatable, either. The restaurants were pretty good, from what I heard (I did not attend). We ate on the beach one night, but skip that. The food was gross although it was nice to eat on the beach.

The ocean is also great. Clear, blue, warm water. Not rocky, and you could go snorkeling off of the beach and see tons of fish. The only complaint I have is that while the pool is nice, it's probaly five and a half feet deep, and unless you're taller than that, it's over your head, for the whole pool. You fall in after reachng the last step and it's not fun. However, some of the smaller, quieter pools on the property are more shallow and you're able to stand in them.

Overall, though, great resort!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 9, 2010
Thank you ronnie336 for taking time to give us your comments about your last holidays with us. All comments are good for us and we can improve our service every day.
Please don't hesitate to contact with us if you need something.

Best regards,

Been to Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!