“The Most Amazing Mayan Riviera All Inclusive Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa

You added Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Special Offer
15% off + Webcome Package
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Huntington Beach, CA
“The Most Amazing Mayan Riviera All Inclusive Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

I traveled to this hotel for 8 days with my 60 year old mother. Although the hotel is 90 minutes south of Cancun it is well worth the travel time. When you arrive at the resort you are greeted by the enormously, overgrown and beautiful jungle. You cannot see this resort from the highway, nor can you see it as you drive in (until you reach the entrance). There are 4 resorts making up the Palladium Palace. You have access to all of them and each one is different, making for a great experience. There is a tram that circles the resorts so you do not have to walk unless you choose that option. BRING BUG SPRAY. DO NOT FORGET THIS ITEM or you will be eaten alive or have to pay exorbitant prices for a small bottle.

Food: Some restaurants are great and some are okay. Listen to the other guests to see which ones fit your tastes. We experienced no issues getting a table at any of the restaurants, but heard differently from some guests. If you have a large number in your party speak with the guest relations desks and make a reservation.

Pools: The pools are amazing. I can't say enough good things about the pools. They are beautiful and large. There are always enough chairs. Also, the beach literally boarders the entire resort and wraps around the peninsula, so it is easily accessible to walk the entire coastline. This hotel has the most amazing views you will see in this part of the Mayan Riviera.

Rooms: Our room was not what we had reserved, but it was a nice room. When we arrived the room we reserved apparently didn't secure itself so we were given a honeymoon suite. At first this was an issue, but after getting into the room and realizing that these rooms were directly placed at one of the most beautiful locations on the property with direct access to the beach, we settled for the mistake. The room was large and the air conditioner worked great. The bathroom was very large, but the draining system in the shower was bad. However, there is an attached outside shower area that is under the canopy of the jungle-amazing!!!

Nightlife: There is 1 club in which people smoking is constant. If you don't smoke it's disgusting b/c there are no vents. If you do smoke...you will be fine. Also, this is about the only nightlife there is in this resort, except for the short shows each night.

I would not recommend this resort for singles or for couples who want an active night life. This resort is perfect for families, honeymooners, and people who want to relax and get out of the hustle and bustle of city life. My mother can't stop talking about this place. We travel extensively, but this is one of her MOST favorite vacation spots.

• Stayed July 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Polish first
Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

Just returned from the Palladium and I would love to say everything was perfect, but we had a few minor issues, but still loved this resort. This report is going to be long, be advised! =)

Check in-We had a quick and easy trip to the resort and got there at 11:30. I had emailed the resort a week before requesting to be on the third floor(I am deathly afraid of bugs), in building 46 or 47, and if at all possible since we were celebrating our Anniversary to be upgraded to a Jr. Suite. The lady at the front desk seemed to have no records of this email even though they had responded back to me and we were given a first floor in building 44. She said she would call us tomorrow to see if they could do something and never contacted us again. We called again the next day and they said they were completely booked and nothing could be done. We understood and got comfortable in the room they gave us. Another annoyance at check in, was our room wasn't ready so we had to wait 3 1/2 hours until we could get into our room. No biggie though we needed to explore this massive resort. I just wish we would have shown up in our swimsuits because it was hot and I wanted to get in the pool ASAP!!!! Things were good though, we grabbed lunch and wandered the resort with yummy frozen drinks.

Grounds-All I can say is this place is huge!!! I mean HUGE!!!! 3X bigger than the last resort we stayed at in Playa. Best advice I can give, learn the map, learn your shortcuts, and learn the train system. If you don't do this the first day you will be walking so much! Also, don't always follow the signs at the resort, half the time it would take us the longest way there. There is so much to do at this resort, almost too much! Our favorite things to do were, lay around on the Kantenah beach, by far the best beach. Very peaceful, no loud music and not a lot of people. Another great side is the salt water pool. By far the most relaxing area!! The main pools were HUGE!!! Just absolutely gorgeous!! I will say that the White Sands/Riviera side was better because they had the beautiful lagoon surrounding it. All in all, grounds were amazing, a little too large for my liking, but very beautiful!

Staff-I'll start with the bad, we had a lot of trouble with the staff being rude to us. A lot of the bartenders were very rude to us. One time my husband went to order a coffee at the lobby bar and the bartender looked annoyed and said "no coffee, only hot tequila," and walked off and never came back to serve us. Went in Hemmingway and bartender was great and got him the coffee. It was pretty much hit or miss with the bartenders, some were mean, and some were AWESOME! I will say, we came stocked with 1's, and tipped SO much, so I know they weren't being rude because of lack of tips. Besides the few that were rude, the rest were great to us. They work so hard at this resort and you can tell. It was always clean everywhere you went. Also, there was never a time you walked by a staff member and they didn't say "Hola." They were always so friendly and happy when you saw them. Also, I loved our maid!!! She was always so happy to see us. My husband wanted to take her home with us. =)

Room-Very secluded, which we liked. Shower was good, room size was good. Bring an extension cord though. It was my life savior when getting ready. There is only one plug in the bathroom, more less I think the whole room. There is a clothes line in the shower which was very nice. First day I left some cash in front of the fridge and left a note for a lot of water and beer and the guy who stocked the fridge left us so much extra. Very much appreciated! Beds were okay, we had some back pain from them, but nothing the spa couldn't fix. I did hate being on the 1st floor though because there was a massive spider in the bathroom and a baby scorpion. I HATE BUGS!!! But I can't complain I am in the middle of the jungle, I can't assume bugs will just go away. =)

Food-The food at this resort is great! I was really impressed by the food here. There was so much to offer for breakfast, anything you wanted was there. It was amazing!!! Lunch was really good too. We ate at the beach bar one day for lunch and it was so good!!! I am a big tex-mex girl and the nachos were so good!!! I also ate chips and pico with guacamole every day!! YUMMY!!!! The Paella for lunch on Sunday was also really good!! Just get there before one like we did because the line got SOOO long and there was no where for people to sit. For dinner we did, Japanese(hibachi) on the first night and it was so good. I was amazed at how good the food was. Meat was very tough, but the sushi, and seafood was very good. Ribs and More was ok, but not my favorite. I am from Texas where we are famous for ribs so it is hard to beat our ribs. The ribs here we really small and I wasn't a fan of the sauce. El Dorado the next night was very good. We both ordered Filet and both were surprised at how good it was. Mare Nostrum after that, once again not that impressed, but the people in front of us said it was their favorite meal, so I guess it is all a matter of opinion. Last night we did Rodizio. Let me begin by saying we had planned not to go here because of all of the bad reports about it. Well, all I can say is I am so glad we didn't listen. This ended up being the best meal we had the whole time we were there. The meat was not tough like everyone kept saying. The flank steak was so good, as well as the brisket, and once again I am from Texas so I am a hard critic of brisket. It was a fun place to eat and Ernesto (the server who came up to your table with meat,) was my favorite guy ever!!! He was just so cute every time he came walking out of the kitchen with a new skewer of meat. We made sure to give him a tip as well because he was working hard! Lastly, get there early because the waits at some places were an hour to 2 hour waits. Get someone to get your name on the list and then go back to the room and get ready.

Excursion-We decided to leave for one day and do our own little thing. We caught a cab into Playa, we were going to do the Collectivo's but just didn't feel safe doing that. However, our cab broke down on the way to Playa. We hopped on the ferry to Cozumel, rented a little buggy convertible and drove around the island. This was the most amazing thing I have ever done!!!! The back side of Cozumel is unbelievable! There were no resorts, no people, a few local fun bars to stop at and grab a drink, and just the most beautiful scenery. I highly suggest doing this. It was nice because we were on our own and didn't have to deal with following time lines. One thing though, always bring cash!! We were running low on cash and the ATM in town ate our Debit card. We were in Cozumel with no means to get cash, it was kind of scary, but we made it back and still had enough to give our driver a good tip.

Side notes- All in all, I really liked this resort. It had everything you could imagine here. You will never get bored! For me, a little too big. I was SO tired of walking around, but seriously impressed at how beautiful this resort is! Mosquito's were AWFUL! We carried bug spray everywhere. Well, actually my husband needed it. I found these things called the "Don't bite me Patch," and they worked wonders!! The first day I didn't have it on and I got bit up, the next 5 days, I only got a few bites. We had a travel size bottle with 100% deet and that worked wonders too. Some poor people had probably 100 bites on them. Just come prepared with the bug spray, find that patch, double up on that and you will be A okay!

Top five things you should definitely do:
Spend a day at the salt water pool
Spend some time on the Kantenah beach, more less fall asleep in a hammock over there!
Get a massage, at least go to the spa, it was so relaxing over there! I loved the stone walk for your feet!
Snorkel and bring corn flakes with you. So many fish!
Take a boat ride around the lagoon on the White Sand/Riviera side

Five favorite drinks
Sangria
Havana Rum(Blanco) with diet coke and lime (thanks to the person who suggested that! YUMMY)
Muloin Rouge
Red Beer (tomato juice, beer, lime)
Coco Loco

Bring your walking shoes and enjoy this resort, it is beautiful!!!!!!

Also, bring your bubba keg! The tiny plastic cups get hot in a matter of minutes!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Christiansburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

After much research, my husband and I chose the Grand Palladium Kantenah for a family vacation and the celebration of our 3rd wedding anniversary. We were also joined by my parents, whose 31st anniversary falls a few days before ours. We are seasoned travelers and have in recent years stayed at places ranging from a six star resort in Dubai to a generously rated two-star guesthouse in Vietnam. This was our fourth trip to the Riviera Maya/Cancun; we previously visited Secrets Maroma, Barcelo Colonial, and Riu Palace Las Americas.

When choosing a resort, our priorities included a great beach with calm, swimmable water; good food; and a variety of things to do. The Palladium met most of our expectations and exceeded some. The place is truly beautiful and we felt that most employees went an extra mile to make our time special and enjoyable. The grounds, nicely incorporated into the jungle, looked and felt very exotic. We loved the size of the resort; it almost felt like a little town, with a great diversity of things to do and explore. The fantastic spa facilities were a great bonus, setting this hotel apart. In short, it was one of our favorite family beach vacations to date.

After a period of low occupancy due to the recession and swine flu scare, the resort appears to be back to its normal summer occupancy levels. The beach was always bustling with people and activity, all restaurants were open, the lobbies and theaters were full in the evening with people clearly enjoying themselves. And the resort now organizes beach barbecues on Wednesdays, in addition to Fridays, to meet the growing demand. The return to “normalcy” also had its downsides, most notably, painfully long waiting times to dine at certain a la carte restaurants and frequent shortages of beach towels.

ARRIVAL
After a direct AA flight from New York’s JFK, we landed in Cancun about 30 minutes late. It took us approximately an hour to pass through the border control, health stand, and customs. We met with my parents, who arrived from Salt Lake 45 minutes earlier and went through the entire process in only 20 minutes. The waiting time usually depends on how many flights land around the same time, and ours in the past varied from 15 minutes to 1.5 hours.

After exiting the airport, we quickly found a representative from USA Transfers/Entertainment Plus, whom we booked online a few days in advance, and were on our way to the resort. The drive was pleasant and it took just over an hour.

CHECK IN
We emailed the resort before our departure to request that both of our rooms are in the same building, away from any sources of noise, and have king size beds. We also mentioned our anniversaries, secretly hoping that we would get an upgrade, and we even brought with us our wedding certificates! We realized that we would receive them only if there is availability, so we did not want to get our hopes up.

When we arrived, there was no line at the reception desk. The person who checked us in was nice and pleasant. She informed us that the reservation staff had indeed received our email, and in celebration of our anniversaries, we would get a free upgrade to a junior suite. We were grateful and immediately felt that the resort was something special. The reception representative also took time to show us the main points of interest on the map, including where to get towels, eat breakfast, and so on.

Shortly after, the bell boy had our golf cart ready, with the luggage loaded in the back, and drove us to our building.

ROOMS
Our building, villa 51, was only seconds from the beach. The rooms were spacious, airy, and tastefully decorated. Each room had towel art, in the shape of two swans ornate with flowers, waiting for us. It looked very romantic and put smiles on our faces. That same evening, after returning from dinner, we found that the turn down staff placed a bottle of sparkling wine in each room. Needless to say, we were impressed!

Throughout our stay, the maid service was very efficient and on time. Our rooms were meticulously cleaned and the mini-fridge was regularly restocked with beer, water, and various soft drinks. We received the towel art one more time and thought it was a cute gesture. The air conditioning was functioning very well and kept the room refreshingly cool.

Our only nuisance were our next door neighbors, who were in the habit of forcefully slamming their door, as well as their kids who loudly ran up and down the stairs (people be considerate, this is not your own house!). Of course, this was not the resort’s fault.

BEACH AND SWIMMING
We absolutely loved the Palladium beach. It is long and spacious, with plenty of shade, and gorgeous colors of green and blue. If you wanted to snatch one of the more desirable palapas, you had to get up before 8am. However, if you waited after breakfast or later, you could still find free palapas placed a bit more toward the back. The beach is set up in a way that allows a reasonable amount of privacy, not like at some other resorts where the loungers are laid right next to one another.

There are two main swimming areas. One is immediately by the watersport activities center (in front of the Colonial pool and beach bar), and the other one nearby La Jarra bar. The area close to the watersport activities and the pool was much busier, I suspect due to its location, but also because the La Jarra side had a long and thick spread of seaweed floating right at the water’s edge (probably brought there by a storm and likely to clear up in a few days). We liked the busier side better simply because the water was deeper, making it more desirable for swimming, although we usually try to avoid large crowds. The area by La Jarra had fewer rocks and is likely more attractive to those with different preferences, but for us it was too shallow (waist-deep).

We chose to bring our water shoes so we would not have to worry about stepping on the rocks. We were happy we had them and would bring them again, although if you were careful, you could stick to the areas without rocks and be fine without them.

POOLS
The Palladium pools are large and nicely designed. They are clean, deep, and great for swimming. We generally preferred lounging at the beach and only hung out at the pool when the beach got too windy. Since we were there in late afternoons, we never had a problem getting chairs. We also found that the guys at the swim up bar made fantastic Bahama Mamas.

FOOD/DINNING
While the food at the Palladium was plentiful, enabling us to enjoy many good meals, we all felt that the resort could improve in this aspect. Breakfast and lunch were great; however, dinner was at certain times very good, but at others disappointing.

For breakfast, there was a wide selection of fruit and yoghurt, as well as cold cuts, sausages, cheese, breads, pancakes, and the French toast. There was also a station with made-to-order omelets and eggs. I was hoping that they would also have freshly made churros, doughnuts, and waffles, but that wasn’t the case. Lunch was also quite satisfying, particularly at the main buffet. I really liked the fresh tacos and empenadas, as well as the made-to-order fish, chicken, and veal.

Dinner was a mixed bag. For three nights we ate at the buffets, and the remaining four at the Brazilian, Mediterranean, Japanese, and the steakhouse. We were not very impressed with the Italian theme night at the buffet, but loved the Mexican. Just make sure not to expect the TexMex style. We found the shredded lamb, tacos, chorizo potatoes, and many other options absolutely delicious. We also greatly enjoyed the selection of desserts. They were made of excellent ingredients and had first-rate flavors.

During our stay, the a la carte system was very inefficient. Due to ridiculously long waits, we often ended up feeling like the entire night was focused on getting dinner. For example, on one evening, we went to the steakhouse, only to face a huge line out of the door, composed of the people waiting to receive a pager. It took close to 40 minutes before it was our turn; this was mainly because the person in charge of distributing pagers and writing down everyone’s room numbers was also responsible for escorting and seating the guests in the dining room, so the process moved very slowly. After waiting for 40 minutes, we finally received a pager and were told that we’d have to wait an additional hour and a half before we could get a table. So despite arriving to the restaurant at 7:30, we didn’t get seated until 9:45. The experience was similar the following day when we tried to get into the Brazilian. On two occasions we attempted to eat at the Italian, but both times we were turned away as the restaurant was full for the evening (we arrived around 8:30 on the first attempt and around 8:00 the second time). The waiting time was notably shorter at the Mediterranean and Japanese, approximately 1 hour. While I realize that people’s opinion on this may vary, we would have much preferred being able to make reservations a few days in advance, even if that means limiting the number of a la cartes one may visit.

In terms of food quality at the a la cartes, we found the steakhouse to be quite good. The Brazilian was just awful: overcooked, tough meat, without much flavor. This was disappointing because we all really like the rodizio style restaurants and have eaten this type of food on many occasions. The Japanese was solid and we really enjoyed the Mediterranean (excellent lamb chops and veal steak). The salad bar at each a la carte left a lot to be desired, with limited and unimpressive choices, but the desserts were delicious. I highly recommend the creme brulee at Mare Nostrum: smooth, creamy, and perfectly prepared.

While the buffet service at the White Sands/Riviera buffets was great, it was quite inconsistent on the Colonial/Kantenah side. This was possibly because the latter was much busier. The somewhat frustrating part of eating at the buffets was that you could not get your own drinks, as the buffets do not have self-serve soda machines or wine. On a couple of occasions while dining on the Colonial/Kantenah side, we did not get drinks at all unless half way through the meal we got up and searched for someone who could bring them up to us.

Contrary to our experience at the Colonial/Kantenah buffets, the waiters and servers at the a la carte restaurants were very efficient, gracious, and accommodating. In particular, our waiter at the Mediterranean restaurant was terrific and made the celebration of my parent’s anniversary smooth and memorable.

NIGHTLY ENTERTAINMENT
The Palladium likely has the best entertainment options out of the four Mexican resorts we visited. Each night, there are two shows, one on the Colonial side starting at 9:30 and another at 10:30 at Riviera. Some shows are a bit cheesy, while others, such as the Prehispanic Mayan show, are quite good.

While many other area hotels commission similar theater productions, what sets the Palladium apart is the excellent nightly live music in the lobbies. In particular, the rock band playing at the Colonial, from 10:30 until midnight, was outstanding. Many people, visibly having a good time, were singing along and dancing. We also immensely enjoyed ourselves, relaxing with a drink in our hands. It was a great way to end each day.

We unfortunately did not get to go to the White Party (due to long waits at the Brazilian restaurant, we did not finish our dinner until well past 11:00), but have heard from others that it was a lot of fun. Hopefully, we’ll be able to go next time.

MOSQUITOES
The mosquito problem during our stay was quite bad. In fact, we were joking that the best way of recognizing how many days had someone spent at the resort was by counting the number of bites on their body. As previously mentioned, we had stayed at three other resorts in the same area during summer months, but have never experienced anything remotely close to this.

Incidentally, the problem was not as bad during the first two days of our stay, during which it was sufficient to apply the DEET repellent only in the evenings. However, in the subsequent days, I am still not clear why (perhaps the resort sprays only on particular days), they became nearly unbearable. They would bite at the beach, on the way to lunch, on the trains, basically in any situation possible. At that point, I started applying OFF Deep Woods both day and night, every time after swimming, and particularly after the lunchtime. This was annoying, but better than getting bit.

The OFF Deep Woods with 25 percent DEET was effective, provided that you cover every exposed inch of your body with it. If we missed certain spots, the mosquitoes would find them! For example, after applying the spray all over, I washed my hands right before eating dinner. Consequently, I ended up with two bites on my fingers that evening, on the way back to the room.

……..

After all said and done, we really had a great time, and are planning to return next summer. We remain hopeful that the a la carte reservation system will become more efficient with time and that the resort will find a more effective way of dealing with the mosquitoes.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

This was our second visit to the Grand Palladium Kantenah. We were there two years ago . We have become totally hooked on this resort complex. The Kantenah is one of five separate sections that encompasses the Grand Palladium resort. What a sight to see that beautiful lobby again!!!! We chose a Jr. Suite again, as we are beach people, and love the more "jungly" aspect of that section. Most of it is carved into the jungle and much care was taken to preserve it's natural beauty. It is very eco friendly and the grounds are breathtaking and well maintained. Check in was swift and professional.

There was a welcome letter and a bottle of champagne delivered later on that evening, as I had mentioned that we were celebrating birthdays and an anniversary.

Everything as we had remembered it was still the same. Great food, variety, and smiling workers faces.

The next day we pretty much just vegged out on the beach in our favorite spot from the trip before. I had to pinch myself to believe that we were finally laying there under a palapa gazing out onto that beautiful turquoise water! There is so much shade due to the many palapas they have set up there. A lot of them are already located under existing palm trees so you get double the shade. You don't have to lay out in a beach chair with the sun beating down on you all day. Never had to play the towel game either. Always plenty of spots to pick from. This section of the beach has the best swimming areas. There are several easy entries into the water that are smooth sand with little or no rocks or coral. You can wade out a long ways and still only be up to your chest.

There are eight ala cartes to chose from and you don't have to make reservations anymore nor are you limited to how many you can go to. They've got a pager system in place now so if they can't seat you right away, they will buzz you on your beeper when there is a table. We usually went early (before 7:00PM) so there was generally little or no wait. We just grabbed a drink and sat in the beautiful huge open air lobby and enjoyed the evening music that goes on in the evenings. There is also a seafood restaurant right on the beach (it's one of their beach bars during the day that turns into an ala carte for the evenings) and they allow you to make reservations for this one.

We went to Rodizio’s (Brazilian) where they bring out half a dozen skewers of meat one at a time and carve it table side. I thought I was going to need a stomach pump….I ate so much……fabulous meat cooked to perfection with great service. Bamboo ( Chinese) was great also with a beautiful window table overlooking the lagoon where the pontoon boats would pass by. I had the best giant prawns with sweet and sour sauce! We also went to El Dorado (steakhouse) where we enjoyed a great salad bar and steaks. I had the fillet mignon and hubby had the New York strip. We ended our last evening with a visit to Portofino (Italian) where we were sat on the beautiful outdoor patio. The food was good and it was nice to experience sunset while eating.

We attended the Beach BBQ on Friday night (held Wed. and Fri. evenings during the busy season.....reservations accepted the day before at the Customer Service table in the lobby). There are two seatings. The evening was beautiful with a lovely breeze off of the water and the setting very magical with the torches lit, the Caribbean band playing, and the sun setting. Lovely touch this time with the white chair covers. Very elegant! Food was very good.

There are various buffets set up for each section but we usually dined in the Tikal for breakfast each morning. This buffet is huge with lots of dishes with everything imaginable. The fresh squeezed juices were so good as was the warm sticky buns and hot chocolate. There is champagne there to make Mimosas also. Service was always good and we were always asked immediately upon sitting what beverage we would like.

We ate most of our lunches at the Colonial beach bar buffet or ordered off of the menu. Their guacamole and salsa are just out of this world! YUM!!!! We also ate several times at the Gran Azul outdoor buffet by the Colonial/Kantenah main pool as an alternative to the beach bar. We usually ate there on a day when we knew we weren't going to an a la carte that evening.

We enjoyed attending the shows that week. I think we went to four, with the Mexican night being our favorite, with the Samba theme one (forget the actual name of the show) running a close second. These people work so hard under hot lights to put on a good show. We recognized a few of them as workers from other parts of the resort during the day! What long hours and dedication these people have!

We visited the Renova spa one late afternoon. We went around and used the "freebies" first (pool, steam room, jacuzzis), and then I went and got the 50 minute facial and hubby did the 50 minute Swedish massage. He said it was the best one he ever had. I have to agree that my facial was right up there with the best I've had also. I almost fell asleep. Nice way to end the day before dinner.

We enjoyed the quietness of the Kantenah lobby in the evenings when we weren’t going to a show or just some nice walks around the area. The trains and carts were running frequently and efficiently during our stay so there was never a problem if we needed to go to another lobby or back to our own. We never took the room train/cart as we enjoyed the walks back to our villa whether it be during the day or evening. To me it’s part of the enjoyment of the resort to walk through the mangrove or to pass by other parts of the resort and take in all of the beauty. Especially pretty all lit up at night.

One day we went to see the salt water pool area over on the White Sands side. We never got to see it the last time we were here so made it a priority on our list of "to do things" this time around. What a wonderful spot this is! I had no idea how beautiful. It has completely different ambiance than the other beaches/sections. It reminded me of the rugged coastline of Oregon with it’s rocky shore, tide pools, and big crashing waves. The absence of jungle plants and palm trees made it look that way even more. We relaxed in the chairs and just stared out at the beautiful water for almost three hours! What a wonderful way to spend the morning hours!

I can’t say enough nice things about this resort……it’s beauty.....the wonderful staff that always seem to have a smile on their face......the hard working grounds keepers that keep the resort so special ......and the wonderful people that we all met.

I am a member of the resort's website.....PalladiumAddicts........

and I highly recommend if you have intentions of staying here that you look up this site. It's full of lots of members who have tons of knowledge about the resort (some are on their 10th visit!) and you can gain invaluable information about the resort and the area before you arrive.

There’s just something magical about this place that occupies a place in your heart once you’ve visited here. I’ve never experienced a longing to return to some place, like I feel when I leave here, and we’ve traveled to a lot of destinations in our lifetime. We are counting the days till we return again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

I recently returned from the Grand Palladium and I was pleased beyond my expectations. I stayed with my boyfriend for six nights. It was our first trip to Mexico together. We were told upon check in that we had a free upgrade to a Junior Suite in the Riviera part of the resort. The entire resort is comprised of four separate sections. We were expecting to stay at the White Sands, but at the Riviera we were closer to the beach. The room was very spacious, there was plenty of closet and sink space for the both of us. The mini bars are restocked every day and all the items in the refrigerator are included with your room stay. There was only one day that our refrigerator was not restocked. Even though the resort is made up of different areas, the all the guest are free to eat at any of the dining facilities on the property. I recommend you make a reservation at any of the restaurants you are determined to eat at because if you go to a restaurant without one, you could have up to an hour wait. Reservations can be made a day in advanced if you know that you can be there at a specified time. We tried the Argentine, Italian, BBQ, Seafood and Japanese al a carte restaurants and our favorite was the Japanese. The property is expansive and there are frequent shuttles to transport you around, but the likelihood is that you will do a lot of walking. Take comfortable shoes and bug spray. The hotel does spay for mosquitoes, but you will still need some type of protection. There are so many different activities, music, two evening shows, sports, kayaks, catamarans, sports bar, card room, there is something for everyone. If you run out of things to do, you just lack imagination. We spent an entire relaxing afternoon in the spa using the steam, sauna and various therapeutic pools. We also took advantage of the jet tub in our room, my boyfriend is six foot tall, but we both comfortably fit. If your love life has been hindered by joint or other body pain, I suggest adding the spark back in with the tub. You can get creative without straining your pain points. We used the gel soap provided by the hotel to make bubbles, but you can certainly take your own. The staff was accommodating and generally friendly, you can book all your excursion plans right on the property. One thing to keep in mind, you are traveling to a foreign county and although most staff speak and understand English, Spanish is the native language, making an effort to speak their language will go a long way in ensuring you get all your needs met. Also, you may not realize this, but the average work day is a lot longer in Mexico and if you are not constantly greeted with a smile, try to empathize with the fact that the staff work very hard for up to ten to twelve hours a day with probably only one day off and have to try to be friendly to hundreds of people. I loved the beach and the resort they set the bar pretty high.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Sandusky,Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

My wife and I took a past minute trip to the Palladium as a summer get away as we have had a cold summer.. We have stayed at the Palladium before so we know what to expect. I will make this brief. The beach is awesome. One of the best on the coast. Food was good, not great. Room was comfortable, air worked well, fridge stocked, clean and comfortable. Service was fair at best as was the drinks. Margaritas were terrible and most drinks were not consistent and fair at best. The resort was full. Went with Apple, who always does a good job, and learned all the H1N1 travelers earlier in the year that tried to cancel, postphoned their trips to now. NO SCARE OR THREAT OF SWINE FLU. I didn't get sick. Had fun there.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

We stayed at the Riviera part of the complex twice before. Last year we went with a group of 23 friends and family.We got a room in building 60 which is great but they spread everyone else all over this huge complex.No to room changes. The worst part is all the walking. The trains take forever.This year we got building 67 which has a terrible floor plan. No privacy with the jacuzzi in the middle of the room and only a privacy glass door into the toilet area and another privacy glass door to the shower. With teenagers--not good.The people at the front desk would not help at all. The service everywhere(restaurants, bars,reception) was not what Americans are used to. It is-- too bad, the Mexican way.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!