We stayed at the Grand Palladium Riviera 3/20-3/26/15. Although we stayed at the Riviera and not the Kantenah, this review falls under the "Kantenah", for a reason.
We originally booked and paid for a vacation at the Grand Palladium KANTENAH, which in our opinion is the nicest of the 4 hotels on the property, not including the Royal Suites. We paid more for a stay at the Kantenah. However, what happened immediately upon arrival cast a cloud over our entire vacation.
Upon arriving at the Kantenah tired and weary from travelling, and despite providing a printed confirmation indicating our stay was booked as a Junior Suite at the KANTANEH, we were told our reservation was not at the Kantenah, but rather, it was at the White Sands. Then after being jockeyed back to the White Sands, we were told that our reservation was at the Riviera. 3 different places. The process took more than an hour. At each stop, the staff kept telling us that the stay at the Riviera was an "upgrade". It in fact, was not. We originally booked and paid for a junior suite and were placed in a junior suite in an inferior building. There was no "upgrade", but rather a "downgrade" for which we had to pay the same price.
When we booked our vacation, we specifically chose the Kantenah, and paid MORE money for the package to stay at the Kantenah. The Riviera, while "fine", was not nearly as nice as the Kantenah and had we booked the Riviera, we would have paid less. We were travelling with 3 other families, representing bookings for 5 additional rooms (besides ours), and a substantial amount of revenue for Grand Palladium. All of us originally booked the Kantenah, and all of us were downgraded to the Riviera. While we wanted to stay together in the same building, none of us were offered any accommodation or refund for our downgrade.
While we still managed to enjoy the trip because we were together as a group, none of us were completely satisfied and we left feeling ripped off.
There are a few other things about our stay that people should be aware of, both good and bad.
The restaurants (not talking about the buffets here) and the food are fantastic. Staff are very service oriented. There are different ones at each complex, each with a different theme. Reservations are not required, except for a couple of exceptions - ask upon check in. You will have to wait a little, but it's usually not long.
The staff at all 4 complexes are very nice for the most part. Attentive, and catering to your every need.
There is a "disco" for older kids over 18 and adults in the Riviera building. Wasn't very busy while we were there, but they have themed nights and the kids seemed to have fun (we were traveling with 10 kids, all over 18 and ranging from 18-26). The lobbies always seem to be hopping at night too, which the kids enjoyed. The Riviera lobby (and the whole complex itself) was relatively quiet throughout our stay, however, with the exception of one night that they had live music in the lobby.
They have some top shelf liquor at each bar, but you need to ask for it specifically with each drink. The Kantenah has a couple of "high end" bars that have most of what you would want. Just remember to ask for what you want and they will provide it if they can.
1. Our shower in our room at the Riviera did not have hot water. The sink and jacuzzi tub had hot water, but the shower did not.
2. There were small bugs all over on the vanity in the bathroom.
3. On our last full day in the room, our room was not serviced or cleaned. In fact, they didn't come at all until we called late in the afternoon. We had to shower in cold water using old, wet towels.
4. We booked a reservation at the Japanese restaurant at the Kantenah. The dinner was FABULOUS (best part of the trip). The Manager and host at the entrance was fantastic. And our chef was fantastic. The meal was delicious. The experience was almost perfect until something bizarre happened with our server. Toward the end of our meal, he approached our group and tried to sell us an internet video game scam that involved him using one of our PayPal accounts. We didn't fall for it, and he became visibly agitated. This whole situation was quite out of context with our dinner and inappropriate. After we were finished with our dinner (still very happy with the meal and our chef), the manager brought us a small kiosk in which we could submit reviews for the restaurant. I gave the restaurant and the Manager and Chef rave reviews. However, before I had a chance to submit the survey, our server took the kiosk out of my hands, erased the Manager's name and typed in his own name, as well as a bit of other information and then submitted the survey. I had intentionally left out his name in our positive reviews due to the scam he tried to sell us during our dinner. The whole thing was very bizarre.
All in all, the Palladium complex and all of its hotels are wonderful. Nicer quality compared to many other hotels and very good service. If it weren't for the fiasco in the beginning of our stay, we would have given the property 5 stars. But we are both professionals in our family and have learned over the years how important it is to build trust and integrity by doing what you say you are going to do. And the Grand Palladium did not do that in this case.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa is located on a spectacular, private Caribbean beach-front complex that boasts of 800 meters of white, fine sand and turquoise blue waters. Guests of the Grand Palladium Kantenah are invited to use the facilities provided by the adjoining Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, the Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, and the Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, with the exception of the Royal Suite facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kantenah Palladium Grand
- Grand Palladium Kantenah Hotel
- Palladium Mexico
- Palladium Grand Resort
- Hotel Grand Palladium Kantenah
- Palladium Kantenah
- Grand Maya Palladium Riviera
- Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort Spa
- g Palladium Kantenah
- Grand Palladium Mayan