“Lovely winter get away” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa

You added Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Special Offer
15% off + Webcome Package
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Calgary, Canada
“Lovely winter get away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

People are so funny on reviews. This is a great hotel. There are four hotels in one at the Grand Palladium so there are tons of choices on where to go and what to do.

We stayed in a jr. suite very close to the ocean on the second floor which was nice. If you want a view you can't be on ground level because there is so much jungle! Our room was always kept very clean and we always had enough towels and all of that good stuff.

The beach is beautiful white sands and if you are picky about your seat head down early and sleep in the sunshine! Inside the water is a little rocky so if you're a super wuss bring some water shoes. Over closer to the Riviera side (one of the other resorts) there is a lot of coral which makes for some cool snorkelling!

The food is what it always is a all-inclusive resorts, they ship everything in to please the masses, which means keeping everything more plain. Pleasing 3000 people's food preferences can be hard. That being said I always found something yummy and healthy to eat. You aren't going to get authentic mexican food unless you out of your resort (pretty much the same as any country)

If you're picky about your alcohols go to the churchhill or hemingway bars in the kantenah, they serve premium alcohol and they are never busy so they can take there time with your drink.

The White Sands's pool tends to be less busy but the pool bar is better because your butt actually goes below the water. On the Colonial/Kantenah side it feels like more of a party, but only your legs dangle in the water. If you don't like hearing the people talking on the microphone all day at the pool go to the other side of the pool and it's barely audible.

The salt water pool is neat because it's just the ocean protected by rocks so it's a great place to practice or learn snorkelling because the fish come right in. This is also where the cabana beds you've seen in the pictures are. They also have the "white party" where you wear white on Monday. My boyfriend and I won some tequila and t-shirts it was super fun.

It's a big resort which means that there is a walk to go places. And what a bonus! With the amount of alcohol and food I was consuming I didn't gain a pound because I was moving around all the time!

The spa is beautiful and relaxing on a rainy day it gets pretty busy though. It was also free to go there, I'm not sure if that for year round though. My favourite was to so in the inferred sauna, dip in the cold pool and then hit the hot tub. I had a massage and got to shower in one of the outdoor showers surrounded by greenery, it was really neat. (we also haggled them down on the price at the spa)

Use your safe, but don't be so paranoid about people stealing your stuff, every night the staff get off their shift they go through a tunnel were they are frisked. If you're leaving gifts sometime you have to leave a note and sign it saying it was a gift for that person. I left money and jewellery out (because I'm reckless) and nothing was ever stolen.... until I got to the airport.... then the airport staff stole a bunch of stuff from my bag, so bring on the important stuff on your carry on!

Overall I had a great time. My only worry is about the bridges getting old. They got a ton of rain this year and the bridges are starting to rot. They should be replaced. Other than that I had a great time! Also I don't feel like spell checking this... so hopefully I didn't mess up too bad.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Emily R,

I am glad to know that you have had a great stay with us. Thank you for your time.

Regarding the bridges, we are working with this and with the rest of the installations. This is a continuos work.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Polish first
Blackfalds AB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

First trip to Mexico and this was a great place to start loving this country. The resort is actually 5 in 1 and as a guest of the Kantenah we had access to all areas of 3 other resorts plus our own. The only area off limits to us was the Royal Suites area. All amenities are free and the food is very good but the buffets do get a little boring. The open theater at the Colonial had good shows every night and we took in several of these. The weather in the second week of January was not great as about half the time it was raining or cloudy but being from Alberta Canada, where we have record amounts of snow, the rain didn't need to be shoveled. The time we spent around the pools swimming and lounging was definitely pleasant and we met a lot of friendly people. No large hotel style buildings here, each housing complex has about 30 rooms and is quite pleasant and quiet. The rooms are large and kept very clean by wonderful staff. The staff was wonderful in all areas of all the resorts and they certainly deserved the tips we presented to them. Tips are not required but are appreciated.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Derek W,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your comments. Please, if we can help you with anything in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Cons - They seem to consider the lobby outdoor space and smoking is allowed there - since it rained quite a few days, this made the lobby a very unpleasant place to be. It was quite difficult to get away from second hand smoke everywhere actually. The hotel really needs to make the lobby non-smoking - it is not an outdoor space!
Confusing system of reservations for the a la cartes. Every person we asked seemed to have a different story about whether you could or could not make reservations - couldn't seem to get a straight answer from anyone. Finally we figured out that some people (those in the higher end suites) could make reservations, but the rest of us couldn't. This resulted in long line ups at the entrances to the a la cartes and sometimes 2 hour waits. Maybe this is on purpose to encourage people to eat at the buffets. If you go to eat at an a la carte before 6 pm though, you will likely get in right away.
Evening entertainment was soso - very loud, especially on New Year's Eve - that hurt my ears!
Glad to say there were more pros than cons. Pros - exceptionally clean resort, rooms and public spaces included, all staff were friendly and pleasant, comfortable bed (once we took off the rubber sheet), free wi-fi in lobby, room made up promptly every day, decent food in the buffet and better in the a la carte restaurants. Nice beach.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Penny M,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your comments about your vacation at Grand Palladium.

We respect your point of view about the A la Carte reservations and I would like to comment the following:
Our restaurants are without previa reservation. Only Punta Emilia, Teppanjayi & BBQ are with reservation.
The guests located in the Royal Suites & Palladium Travel Club can make reservations in advance.
We have a system with beepers. If the restaurant hasn't table available, the captain give you a beeper and you can wait in our lobbys.

Cordially,

Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I also try to write helpful and honest reviews; please DO NOT BELIEVE everything that you read on here!!!! ( ask my wife who was fretting......)
Firstly if you want to get a room first thing to do is going onto palladium addict and they had letters which you can copy to send to the reception desk. We were originally booked into the Colonial and after reading reviews on here we felt that we wanted to stay in the Kantenah, so we wrote a letter and asked for 4 requests. They managed to accommodate 3 .... Just not acceptable ( joking!!!), I think they did superb we got the following:
Middle floor : tick
Jungle view : tick
Kantenah : tick
Block 46/47 : Block 45
All we mainly wanted was to not have a road view, if you look at palladium addict they will tell you which rooms to book. We were very happy with 4511.
Check in was quick and easy and within 30 minutes we were in our room.
Rooms:
Really nice and well kept the chamber maid was fantastic and also kept the property clean

Food:
Buffet restaurants ere amazing and there was always something you could find to eat!!! My son has managed to put loads of weight on over this holiday and even my fussy daughter always found some food which she could eat whether this was fresh pasta, or fresh cooked burgers.
Christmas Eve and New Years eave Gala dinners were superb and you could have a posh surf and turf ( I had lobster as starter and then grilled lobster and grilled New York strip for my main) I know decadent!!!!!
Al a carte restaurants:
Mediterranean : first night and really nice food this was the start to come
Japanese Tepanyaki: superb and worth booking the day before the chef was really really good and ended throwing rice at us.... Which we were suppose to catch ..... My son well it ended up in his eye.... All part of the experience.
Ribs and more : probably the worst one out of our stay steak not cooked
El Dorado: perfect steak hmmmmmm and Caesar salad
Italian : lovely veal steak and so. Loved his pizza
Mexican : went here twice the food was amazing

Overall this is an amazing hotel BUT it is very big and everywhere is a long walk but it helps walk off the superb food.

Staff work so hard and are forever cleaning and keeping this place clean, they always have a smile for you and a "hello"

Entertainment team do a superb job and there was always something on.

Which we were still there :(

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Monkeyman2010uk,

On behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for your good comments. We appreciate this information.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

Hull
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Just returned from this resort and had a fantastic time, even though the weather was not the best. Best staff in any hotel I have visited. all areas were very clean and the buffet food was OK. it would have been nice to visit more Al a Carte restaurants, but you had to turn up early (pre 7pm) or wait up to 2 hours. Would be better to be able to book in advance and limit number of visits per guest

Room Tip: rooms were clean and you don't spend your time there
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear bird47,

Thank you for your comments and for your time.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Our family of five stayed here Dec 31, 2013 to Jan 7, 2014. Location is nice and spacious maybe too big. Be prepared to walk or wait for shuttles or train. Pools are large and clean. Long clean beach area. My wife booked in mid Oct based on Trip Advisor reviews and recommendation from travel agent. When we got to our room, we did not get the king bed and cot we requested. Manager Victor said he could only us on wait list. Being 6'4 this was not a good start on new years eve. Two days later we were offered to move by 900 am but would be without room until new room was ready, after 3 pm. Totally unacceptable to be without room and having to spend time moving room to room. No other options provided. On final day, I had personally made arrangements with bellhop day previous for early pick up time. It took 2 calls to bellhop desk and wife going to the front desk and 30 minutes later luggage and I were collected. Service of the of the food/pool staff was polite and courteous. No room service, long distances to take food back to room. No Wi-fi in room and No free North American calling. Expensive Stay for lack of amenities and poor front count/management service. I even tried to talk to a manager before leaving and was advised no was available. Will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ground floor has small insects.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear MMBDAWG,

I would like to offer you my apologies for the incidents that you have had during your vacation. All request are subject to the availability of the resort.

Please, if you change your opinion and you decide to visit us again, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Best regards,

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

My kids and I spent the holiday season there and it was great. It was close to all the excursions we wanted to do. The staff was assume, Roman our room attendant was just amazing with his towel decorations. Ranging from puffer fish to angels. The entertainment was just as good. I would definitely go back!

• Stayed December 2013
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Kevin F,

I am glad to know that you have had a great stay & a great christmas with us. Thank you for your comments and for your time.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with me if we can help you with anything.

Have a nice day,

Resident Manager

Been to Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!