“Great beach...complicated for a la carte meals..Manuel the semellier was exceptional!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #8 of 20 hotels in Akumal
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The facility is beautiful, clean, beach is lovely and very well kept. Free wet spa at the sports field was a nice surprise. We played a great game of soccer on a full size turf field. Rooms very nice. This hotel does not have an a la carte restaurant. The affiliate hotels, Colonial has one and White Sands has a few. We do not have priority when trying to reserve (The "Royal" guests have first priority and White Sands guests have second.) We would have to get up early (in line for 8:00 AM at the White Sands) to reserve dinner for the following night, and only because we were 19 were we accepted at the "non reserving" a la carte restaurants. Highlight of the a la carte restaurants was Manuel...the wine semellier. Once he explained the process, we let him know what wine we wanted, at what restaurant, for what time, it was all magincally taken care of. Service was provided at 2 ends of the spectrum, either exceptional of very average. New Year's Eve was a blast, we had loads of fun, a great vacation overall!

Room Tip: We stayed in a junior suite 4916. 3rd floor very nice. I beleive 50 or 51 would be closer to the m...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Judy W,

Thank you for your time and for share with us your feedback.

Regards from the Riviera Maya.

2,735 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
  • Polish first
Cardiff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The hotel itself is beautiful, set right in the jungle, with a beautiful beach and lots of widlife. The whole place is immaculate and the huge number cleaners are constantly ensuring it stays that way.

Our stay was for two weeks and unfortunately on the 2nd full day of our holiday $150 USD was stolen from our room which sort of put a damper on the rest of the stay. It appears I did not lock the safe when going to lunch. The hotel cannot be blamed for one person's actions but when explaining the situation the the personnel on the 'guest services desk' we were treated with hostility and both myself and my partner felt the staff were suggesting I had either misplaced the money or made the theft up (2nd day of hols so i knew how much I had, nothing to gain from making up a story as travel insurance excess was more than amount stolen!) I would emplore anyone going here to make sure all valuables are in the safe at all times.

We found the food to be average at best - it was incredibly salty. The food in the buffets actually seemed to be of a higher standard than at the a la cartes we tried (admittedly we only tried ribs n more, el dorado and the mexican). The rib eye steaks in el dorado had a very strange texture (like reconstituted meat or maybe cooked and frozen) and I spoke with several other people who seemed to agree. The japanese, seafood and beach BBQ all need booking at guest services on the day before at guest services (which opens at 8am and the queue could be pretty big by this time - I'd turn up at 7.50).

The staff were generally very nice and helpful. I had read that US dollars would be fine and picked some up from the airport so they were quite big bills. I couldn't change for smaller bills anywhere in the complex and generally things seemed to be much more expensive if buying in US dollars so I would advise people to get pesos and make sure you have some 20's, 10's etc for tips.

The colectivo buses going up and down the road to either Playa del Carmen or Tulum were very comfortable and easy to catch - very good value and a great way to see places.

All in all despite the stolen money we had a great time - the place itself is beautiful with plenty of pools, bars, and the best bit for me was loads of wildlife, I had seen some pictures on tripadvisor before we left but didnt realise really how often you would bump into a raccoon or white-nose coati, and there seemed to be more iguanas than humans. we loved the holiday but for an all-inclusive holiday the quality of the food is really a huge factor and I found it came up short.

Room Tip: Kantenah rooms have been recently refurbished, much nicer than in Colonial.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Sanchez84,

I appreciate your time and your feedback. I respect your point of view about the food and I will share this informacion with our Food & Beverages managers and executive chefs.
All comments are for improve our service.

If we can help you with anything in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed at the grand palladium Dec 8-22.. My first time to this resort and what can i say. It was fantastic can,t wait to go back. The pools were great my favorite was the adult only pool at the White Sands where Carlos the Barman was an absolute gem and looked after us Brilliantly!!. We were a party of 8 and had no trouble getting into any of the Al a carte restaurants in the evening. I could not fault any of the food it was all delicious. The bars served branded drinks which was great Hemmingways my favorite. Entertainment was good and we always ended up in the Colonial Lobby late evening where there was always a Duo on and everyone got up dancing it was certainly the liveliest and it was 1am most nights when we retired to bed. I was a bit worried about the animals before I went but they are no trouble and you get used to them. I took a pillow as a lot of reviews said they were hard but they were ok in our room so I suggest you ask for a softer one as they go out of their way to please. One word of warning you are only allowed 200 cigaretts each into Mexico and a lot of the passengers on our flight were pulled up by customs to pay tax as they sell you as many as you want on the flight out.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 1611 which was central. We e-mailed beforehand and asked for all rooms to be togeth...
Dear BoltonAnnie,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for your good comments.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

Campbell River, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Try this if the resort is busy or just if you want to: wake up in order to be at the beach to watch a spectacular sunrise. There are coffee and pastries available at the beach hut. The temperature is great and the masses don't start to arrive until about 9am. Siesta after lunch and come back for a great finish to a beach day!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Lloyd101,

Thank you for your comments.

Sincerelly,

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed at the Kantenah Dec 16-23...our first time to this part of mexico and what a treat. Fantastic resort. Clean rooms...great food, friendly staff. The only complaint was the pillows in the room, small and not comfy, but really, should I be complaining? This resort had the best of the best...buffets were fantastic. Al la carte restaurants were amazing. You do need to pre reserve for the Japanese and Mediteranean, but the others, we never waited when we were in our group of 4. We did have a group once of 11 and they were very accomodating...had us seated in under 20 mins. I have seen previous reviews about the stocked bar fridge in room being not the best...what are they saying? You get water, pop and beer...btw, you do know its an all inclusive? Less than a 3 mins walk to the closed bar...they'll serve you all night :)It was really really great to have the bottled water restocked every day in room I have to say. The maids were awesome...every day had a little towel art waiting for us. Beach was immaculately clean. If you want real treat...make sure you enjoy the salt water pool. We didn't take int the spa pool and jacuuzi until the last day, and wish we had discovered this little gem earlier on in the trip. If arriving at night..can be a bit confusing to find your way to the villas int he dark, but there's map and lots of signs. Loved all the critters that live around the resort. Nice to see the wild life taken care of. Bartenders were superb!!!! Herlindo and Jose...what can we say :) I would HIGHLY recommed this resort to everyone. Already hoping to be back for Xmas next year!

Dear Tanya S,

It's a pleasure to know that you have had a nice stay with us.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Well first off i must say this place was breathtaking. You are right in the jungle and all the animals are just so much fun to see. The property has flamingos and a crocodile pit. Around the property you will be greeted by many iguanas, and what they call anteaters (im not fully confident thats what they are), also outside the Colonial buffet there is a bridge to the villas where raccoons hang out.
we were in villa 42 which i thought was a great location to everything. The rooms were awesome and the maids did an outstanding job at cleaning a room that had 3 young girls staying in it. The deck was beautiful and had an awesome little bathing suit drying rack which we found very useful. The only complaint I have about the rooms were the beds and the pillows. The beds were rock hard which may be bareable with a decent pillow but the pillows were small and hard. Id just suggest bringing one from home or you can purchase a different one for $3USD a night.
The food at the buffets was pretty good. Lots of choices for sure. There were tons of Al a Carte restraunts. Our favorite was the Japanese. You need to make a reservation the day before for this one (i believe its the only one that you need a reservation for) The rest of them you just walk up and get a buzzer for when a table is free. We never waited longer then half hour. Our second favorite was the brazilian.
The pools are amazing. We loved the colonial/ kanentah pool and spent almost everday at this pool or the beach.
The resort is big so make sure your willing to walk or wait a few minutes to catch one of the trains that will bring you anywhere you need to go.
Also visit the spa. There is a fabulous pool, hottub, and a rock thing for your feet which is all included at no extra cost

outside the resort:
it is perfectly safe to take the collectivo outside the hotel on the highway. We did everytime we went into playa del carmen. Its $3.50 USD rather then about $40 for a taxi.
If you have time take the ferry over to cozumel for the day. We rented a jeep $50 for the day when we got there and drove around the island. Lots of little hidden beach spots along the way to grab a drink or go for a dip in the ocean.
Xel-ha was beautiful and the dolphin swin there was cheaper then doing it in the other places our hotel offered.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Stephanie B,

It's a pleasure for us to know that you have had a great vacation with us.

With best regards,

Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I was lucky to be one of the first visitors when the Palladium resorts opened on the Riviera Maya. At the time, I was traveling with younger children. I had not been back in over 8 years. This time, I returned as a single adult traveler, with some business in the area. I had read some lukewarm reviews, but always remembered my earlier visits, and especially the excellent and personal service of their manager, Felipe Martinez. On the chance that he might still be there, I found his email address and wrote him. True to my memory, Felipe wrote back, and even more surprising, remembered me. He is no longer on site, but is still with the company, in a higher level role. That did not surprise me. What did surprise me, was that he contact the new manager on my behalf, and invited me back - and to visit the adult only section they had developed in the interim years. The Royal Suite at Palladium are just that. I arrived with few expectations. I remembered a family friendly, spotless, well-run resort. What found in the Royal section, was a luxury, adult section that rivals all but the most exclusive in the region. And I am quite familiar with those, having stayed at the Secrets chain, The Excellence, The Palaces, the Royal, Iberostars, and so forth. What sets The Palladium apart is something that is sometimes noted as a negative in reviews. They have developed, and yet preserved a very special piece of property that is nothing short of an ecological marvel. Some might find the ever-present
lizard unsettling - then stay at a Marriott in Cancun. This is the real jungle of this region of Mexico. The flora and fauna is just spectacular. How they manage to integrate the local animal kingdom with the visitors safely is a wonder and to their credit. I was fascinated. The new Royal Suites have an added bonus-many of the suite are situated around or on a series of natural inland salt water lagoons. The rear deck on my suite was set over the lagoon, with wonderful natural backdrops. Sitting over the water, I was reminded of my water-suite on a trip to Bora Bora. I spent many hours sipping wonderful top shelf drinks from my included room service, while feeding hundreds of fish below. Marvelous! Not to be forgotten. There is a special restaurant, El Jardin only for the guests of this area, and it was special, and so well run by their ever present manager and staff. Lobster is their staple. I enjoyed it 4 of my 5 nights. I read some criticism of the walking involved in navigating what is indeed a huge property. Well, I found the walks through the eco-system, and along perhaps the best beach in the 60-mile Riviera region a wonderful experience. If you are inclined, and I was at time, there are constant shuttle between all the lobbies and areas of interest. Some other things have changed since my last visit. And - for the best. The road from the Cancun airport (and it is about 50 miles to the Palladium, just north of Tulum) - it has been wonderfully improved, with 3 or 4 overpasses that eliminate stop lights in the smaller towns, as well as Playa Del Carmen. As a result, what was formerly a 90-minute drive, now took only 52 minutes each way. Oh, when I first visited, there was only one real option for golfers: the Playa track in Playacar. Well, I counted 6 other lovely options, including one within 10 minutes of the Palladium, located at the Bahia resort. I practiced, and played there, was can say it ranks among the top resorts in the US. Lastly, one thing has NOT changed, and that is the positive, helpful, happy spirit of the Mayans who once again made my trip a delight. My hat is off to the Palladium, and its outstanding staff. I hope to see you all again - soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear ltcn8,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for taking time to share with us and other readers your feedback about your vacation.

For us, it's a pleasure to know that you have had a great stay. I will share this comment with the rest to the team.

If we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Happy New Year!!

With best regards,

Resident Manager

Been to Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!