I stayed at the Grand Palladium on the Colonial side over Aug. 20-27. I went with 8 people between the ages of 16 - 53. This was my fourth stay at an AI resort in Quintana Roo and was definitely my least enjoyed trip because of the following gripes I have about GP Colonial: the service was sub-par at best; the food was not that good and sometimes, quite bad; the construction of new property was loud (you could hear it at the pool - and the loudness in our room was unpleasant).
This was the first resort I've stayed at where anything I asked for was denied - at least initially. This is a poor way to encourage repeat visits in my opinion - the other resorts I've stayed at always accommodated any request within reason. For instance, they would only give out one beach umbrella per room. One umbrella is not sufficient to provide shade to two people on lounge chairs and since most of the palapas were still in the reconstruction phase, there should have been leniency in these requests. The pool palapas were also in various states of repair and many were missing, so there was inadequate shade there as well and when we asked to take a beach umbrella to the pool, again denied. There were even umbrella stands in the pool area - for show apparently. Additionally, the policy of pants in the a la carte restaurants was staunchly upheld, which I find asinine. We're in Mexico in August and men are supposed to wear pants? And who can see your legs when you're sitting at the table eating? Our entire group was turned away from the Mexican restaurant (ironic) because one of our guys didn't bring any pants. I understand they have policies in place, but I found this policy and their adherence to it to be ridiculous. Teenage boys were allowed to wear shorts, but not grown men? What's the difference!
The food at the other resorts I stayed at was far superior to the offerings here. They had a very small selection of fresh fruit, which was very disappointing based on previous experience in Mexico. I would say half of the buffet offerings at dinner were downright scary-looking. And to add insult to injury, we had two instances where roaches were spotted in the buffet by people in our group - one roach I saw when it scurried across the dinner table. Nasty!
I can overlook a lot of stuff about the room itself because I tend to spend most of my time outside of the room while on vacation. But it starts to take on an air of ridiculousness at GP. The mini fridge was not cold - more like lukewarm. We called about it, set the fridge outside of the door since that's what they told us to do and when we returned, the same fridge, with no apparent amendments was returned inside the room - nothing was done. We had to rig up the room telephone because it didn't work - the jack was hanging by a wire out of the wall and we had to use a matchstick to rig it up so it worked. The construction noise was seriously unbearable. It would start at 7:30 in the morning every day but Sunday and continue until 5:00 pm, with the only break being siesta, I guess. We had the unfortunate luck to be placed on the construction side of our building and of course, right by the construction site. While I spend most of the time out of the room, I do like to take naps on vacation and that was pretty much out of the question here.
Overall, for the amount of money we spent on this vacation, I cannot in good faith recommend this resort. For all of the people giving this place five stars, try out the Iberostar line of resorts. You'll be in for a real treat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa is located on a spectacular, private Caribbean beach-front complex that boasts of 800 meters of white, fine sand and turquoise blue waters. Guests of the Grand Palladium Colonial are invited to use the facilities provided by the adjoining Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, the Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, and the Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, with the exception of the Royal Suite facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Palladium Colonial Hotel
- Hotel Grand Palladium Colonial
- Grand Palladium Mexico
- Palladium Colonial Resort
- Grand Palladium Spa
- Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico